Top critical review
54 of 55 people found this helpful
Portable; overall good scanning quality; wobbly or skewed scanning at times
on March 6, 2014
This is a review for the VuPoint PDS-ST470PE-VP Portable Scanner.
This is a good scanner for flat documents (as advertised), but it doesn't perform well with book pages. Appreciate it's compact size and convenience.
- Scans flat documents, such as sheets of paper and photographs, well. Color and details are very good.
- Portable and relatively small
- Nice color preview screen, which other wand scanners typically don't offer.
- Storage is on micro SD card, which, with the full-size adapter, is a universally used storage medium
- Can transfer scans using USB cable or micro SD card to computer
- Prone to wobbling/veering during scanning, probably due to the single roller on bottom surface. There are a couple other wand scanners out there with double rolls, which helps prevent veering. The wobbling/veering produces scans that are distorted in areas.
- Preview screen has clunky navigation and actually stretches some preview images (but the scan is actually fine), which somewhat defeats the purpose of checking a scan with the preview screen.
- Cannot scan book pages well. VuPoint does not advertise this item as a book page scanner, but I tried it anyway and thought I'd share my experience. The scanning window does not extend close enough to either end of the wand's bottom surface, so the wand cannot effectively scan near the gutter of a book. Therefore, if you hold the scanner horizontally on the right page of a book and start scanning top to bottom (or bottom to top), the left side contents near the gutter of the book are missed entirely. Also, if you hold the scanner vertically (parallel to the gutter), and scan left to right, you might be able to capture the contents near the gutter, but you will lose the contents on the right edge of the page. Why? The single roller will fall of the page, signalling to the scanner that you are no longer dragging the scanner the left to right.