4.0 out of 5 stars VuPoint Magic Wand II
Published on July 13, 2012 by gbgreen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great,sorry guys!
Published on June 28, 2012 by Kindle Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars VuPoint Magic Wand II, July 13, 2012
This review is from: VuPoint Solutions PDS-ST441-VP Magic Wand Portable Scanner w/ Color Display, 900 DPI Resolution, USB 2.0 (Black) (Office Product)
Overall very good. Different scanning qualities a plus. Worked well. Liked ability to scan to JPEG or PDF. Creates a PDF that can easily be edited (cropped, etc.) by Adobe Acrobat (unlike Pandigital wand scanner I had to return because it created a PDF with HUGE dimensions that Acrobat couldn't handle). Takes a little work to get non-wavy images, but you will eventually get the knack of scanning correctly. More compact than the Pandigital. Can recommend this for scanning on the go, but doesn't replace a desktop scanner for high quality/higher volume scans. Basically, it is very good at executing on its target mission.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Portable Scanner, September 9, 2012
I am a researcher, where, I got to study content from various paper based resources like bound books and paper backs. This device came in very handy to me. I can use this to save selected content digitally in a snap and carry them wherever I need. I don't have to carry all the books!!

After using this for quite a while, here are my observations
-- Very Fast Scanning Speed even for COLOR SCANS(<4 secs for A4 size and little over) This is the best part. There aren't any "fast scanners" available until now. It takes a lot of time to scan in Color, even at 300dpi. But VuPoint is too good and too fast for this.
-- No Dents on your page unless you scan on an uneven surface
-- It STOPs and SAVES the instant you STOP Scanning
-- Saving in JPG and PDF (More than Enough, you have plenty of free tools online Eg: Irfan View, GIMP if you wanna change your format)
-- Put a pair of good quality rechargeable AA cells for the power to last long. If the batteries are cheap, it gets drained quickly. This is the only trouble I had, but with good batteries it's perfect.

Imp ;
Unless you want to scan regularly, don't let the batteries in. If you do, they will be out of juice real quick. Get good quality AA batteries, bad quality means, less runs !

NOTE on SCANNING FROM BOUND BOOKS:
-- Don't worry, if it can't scan near the Book Spine, just go along until the whole length open in 2 pages. Does the JOB as it says, you don't have to worry if the book doesn't open up almost flat especially hard bound books borrowed libraries. It records pretty well for you to read on a Computer / eBook Reader.

I didn't have any qualms with this device so far now. Everything's working perfect with me. Above all the the best portable scanner for the best price. 900dpi is a really good add on, esp when scanning faded content from Old Volumes.

I Strongly Recommend this for people who want Quality and Portability of a Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars the idea a little better than the experience, at least at first, August 5, 2012
This little scanner is indeed very handy under the right circumstances, but can be a bit awkward for scanning books with a small inner margin ("gutter") or that don't lie perfectly flat. It can make it tough to move the wand steadily (leading to a wavy image) or cut the image off. I'm beginning to get the hang of it, but my big scanner is still better for some of the sorts of things I like to scan (such as a page here or there from a library book I don't want to buy). I haven't started on the major project I bought the scanner for - scanning old photos for my family genealogy - but it should work well for that. It is fun to use, and has features I haven't learned yet. I also bought the firm-sided carrying case, which I think is a good investment, even if you don't plan to take the wand out of the house - it holds the microSD chip adapter and the connecting wires etc. and protects the wand very nicely. I definitely think this was the right model for me, with the most flexibility - if you're going to bother to buy the thing, get all the bells and whistles the first time (900 dpi, PDF ready, etc.).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great,sorry guys!, June 28, 2012
Ok, I just got this and I love it. I love the portability, it uses two double A battery's it's very easy to operate, and it works great. You can carry this with you and you can be ready to scan anywhere. It has a small color screen that I thought would be useless because it's so small, but I was wrong. You can see if your photo came out, it's good to have. This is the first scanner I ever owned. I have a Printer but has no scanner. Im very satisfied with this purchase. I forgot to mention it does not come with the memory card. But they are inexpensive. So if you purchase the Magic wand scanner,also get the mini sd card.
Update: I've had this scanner for awhile now and now every time I scan a photo there is a line right in the middle or somewhere on the photo. So I purchased a flatbed scanner. The canon canoscan lide 210. It's not too big and it's powered by the USB. So far it works really great. I now give the hand held scanner two stars. Also it's a battery drainer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Finicky to use, and can't use rechargeable batteres, October 1, 2012
The ability to scan to an SDHC card without using a computer is handy (another alternative would be to take a photo of the document or photo with a digital camera).

The the resolution of 900dpi (maximum) is very good and PDF file output is supported. This model seems to remember the resolution settings across battery changes & power cycles.

Cons:
* Since there are rollers on only one edge of the scanner, the "bumps" on the other edge tend to move whatever you're scanning when the bumps hit the edge of the paper. (A similar model, the Wolverine PASS200, apparently manufactured by the same company) has rollers on both the leading and trailing edges.)
* The error LED often comes on when scanning; it takes a careful hand to scan at just the right speed without the document slipping slightly, causing an error.
* There is about 1" of dead space on the left side of the scanner that is not scanned, which may be an issue when scanning a page from a book, i.e. if the left margin is less than an inch.
* 1.5V Alkaline batteries are required; I used NiMH rechargeables and they worked briefly but were drained down to about 1.23V after about 10 scans which is too low for the scanner to operate.
* Batteries are drained by the scanner even when it's off, if unused for long periods. If not used for several weeks, you should remove the batteries to prevent draining & leakage.
* The backlit LCD display is nice, but completely unusable for reviewing your scanned document (way too small and low resolution).
* There is no crop feature (even if the background is entirely white or black), so the resulting scanned image is always 8.5" wide, requiring use of computer software to crop them down to the desired size (say 4x6").
* Scanned photos were always a tad crooked (compared to a flat-bed scanner), also requiring computer software to rotate them into position if desired.

I'm not using the scanner much because of the above issues. Instead of a portable scanner, I prefer to use a digital camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Handy little scanner, August 31, 2012
This is a great gadget to own... High quality, clear, detailed scans, easy to use too. 900 DPI resolution and scanning to pdf make this one stand out from the competition.

I am knocking off one star - 1) I wish the scan window would go closer to the side of the unit, to be able to scan closer to the edge of a page in a bound book/notepad etc. 2) The preview window sort of works, but is a bit iffy. For example, I haven't figured out how to page through different images. 3) I wish they would have made the LCD juuuust a bit larger. 4) I wish there was a simple way to reduce the scan width. And 5) dunno about the snake skin design... they must have smoked something weird when deciding to send me that instead of the pictured black one.

Still have to figure out how to scan small items, a clear plastic envelope would probably be the solution. I recommend rechargeable batteries for best results... even though they start out showing only 2/3 of the charge indicator, they last for a while and then, well, can be recharged.

All in all, I wish I would have had something like this 25 years ago in college.

Edit - After less than a year, the scanner stopped working. It only produces black "images" now. I suppose the CCD or whatever light is in there prematurely burned out. Not good because their "warranty" includes me paying for shipping it back to them, paying upfront for their postage back to me ($8) plus any labor ($ godknows). Should have gotten a Squaretrade warranty for that. Was good while it worked. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - it's so easy to use, August 6, 2012
Love the scanner. I have been adding photos to my digital library non-stop since I received the product. Eats batteries, but otherwise well worth it. You don't even have to move in slow motion to have the scans turn out althought they always seem a bit dark, but they are easily modified in i-Photo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - perfect for iMac, December 12, 2012
I purchased this scanner based on some of the reviews here and it hasn't disappointed me yet. My parents are both deceased but I have their 50th anniversary scrapbook. I wanted to share it with my siblings but how do you copy cards, photos etc. that are glued into the book? I didn't want to take it apart to try and scan it and I knew that with the different thicknesses it was all going to end up a big mess and huge hassle. So... enter the VuPoint scanner. It worked perfectly! Takes about two passes to figure out how to make great scans, the color scans are awesome and it was all almost too easy! I have an iMac so I just plugged in the USB - up popped iPhoto and voila they all transferred to the computer. From there is was so easy to pull them together and put them on CD"s to share. Overall I am VERY impressed and now I will be thinking up all kinds of other uses for this little miracle tool. All I can say is I sure wish I had this "back when" I was spending huge amounts of money copying library books for my graduate program. Whoa... what a timesaver! I wouldn't think twice to recommend this little jewel - it's definitely worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand scanner that previews images on tool, October 4, 2012
I purchased this scanner because it has an LED window which lets me view the image I just scanned. I have used an earlier model scanner where I had to wait until I got to a computer to see if all my images were viewable. This scanner lets me delete an image that isn't good immediately enabling me to rescan an item. It doesn't need a driver to install my pictures/ images. It has 900 dpi that takes great images. I'm sure I will have more to say about how much I love this scanner after I've used it longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 17, 2012
Waw! I love this thing! I take it with me everywhere just in case. I was a little thrown off since I expected a black coloured scanner and was greeted by a snake print one but...it works. What I particularly love is the fact that it's battery operated. Two penlight (AA) batteries, an sd card (will ask for it once it's turned on) and you're good to go. Changing the batteries is a snap...slide off the cover, put them in and you're back in business. The real trick is learning how to scan straight. But after a while you get the hang of it. It scans in either jpg or pdf-letter or A4. And in colour too. The colour scans are beautiful! I have no hesitation recommending this product!