5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first Trek novel by these authors!
Published on August 31, 2002 by K. Wyatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice characterisations but slow placed.
Published on April 7, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first Trek novel by these authors!, August 31, 2002
K. Wyatt "ssintrepid" (Cape Girardeau, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vulcan's Forge (Star Trek: The Original Series) (Hardcover)
Vulcan's Forge, was very deserving of a Star Trek hardback. They don't just put any of the trek stories in hardback. Vulcan's Forge is set approximately a year after what happened to Captain Kirk in Star Trek Generations. Captain Spock is now in command of the Intrepid II, which from what I gathered is one those very small Oberth class science ships. He receives a distress call from a childhood friend, who is now Captain Rabin, who is in charge of a Federation outpost on a planet called Obsidian. The star for the system obsidian is in, is giving off lethal radiation, which is, in effect, killing the inhabitants of the planet. On top of that, there are several cases of what seems to be sabotage against the Federations efforts to improve the lives of the inhabitants of this protectorate world. The Intrepid II arrives, Captain Spock, Doctor McCoy and several crew members beam down to the planet to meet with Captain Rabin. What follows is a two fold story where, Captain Spock is remembering the incident of his early adulthood that brought him to the decision to turn away from the Vulcan Science Academy and instead go to the Starfleet Academy. At the same time we have the present day where he and his childhood friend Captain Rabin is dealing with the very same villain they dealt with as early adults.
Vulcan's Forge is clearly, in my opinion, one of the best Star Trek novels written to date. The follow up, Vulcan's Heart is just as good a story. I even purchased the audio tape, which excellent for any three hours I have to spend on the highway. If you've not read this one, get it and read it, you will enjoy this one very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice characterisations but slow placed., April 7, 1998
By A Customer
Some nice characterisations but it was slow and boring in places. I really tried to like Vulcan's Forge by first time Trek authors: Josepha Sherman and, Susan Shwartz but I had to force myself to finish it. It had some decent new characters in it, some good action set pieces. Commander Uhuru's captaining of the USS Intrepid against a Klingon star-ship in Spock's absence is a good example. But the narrative was dry and long winded and it meandered a fair bit. The obviously Jewish Captain David Rabin is an interesting enough character; he was sufficently different from Kirk to not make him seem like a pale imitation but enough like him to make comparisons. (His dry sense of humour for one.) The lethargic desert scenes on Obsidian and Vulcan just made me thirsty for some real Trek action, space battles and Kirk and the Enterprise crew saving the Universe. This book may have filled out some gaps in Spock's personal history and shed some more light on Vulcan culture; but it wasn't my cup of tea. Spock fans will love it though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull at best..., November 22, 2006
The story never really picks up and for the most part it's written like a fan-fiction. Gene Roddenberry who was a very outspoken athiest would be rolling over in his grave at the Jewish references. It just doesn't feel like Star Trek and Spock isn't quite himself. The authors bend the Star Trek universe to their whim and it really doesn't work. Once again, you can find better writing and more interesting stories from fans on the Internet.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can . . . ?, January 7, 2000
RG (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
HOW CAN an author, or two authors in this case, get a book this bad published. I bought it as a bargain book and it was still over priced. Very flat, boring story line with dialogue that had every bad cliche one can imagine. Overt religion was never part of Star Trek and should not be! If you want to read about the desert buy Dune and read it again. Four thumbs down.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rise of Spock, July 17, 2008
I would say that this book very well describes the beginnings of the Rise of Spock as we all know and love him. The conflict between he and his father, his first interactions with Starfleet and Humans, whom he would spend a considerable amount of his life around, until he moved on into the Reunification Act with Romulus. This is essential to any fan of Spock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spock - before and after Kirk, April 23, 2005
Jeanne Tassotto (Trapped in the Midwest) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This novel opens in 2296, about a year after Kirk's death/disappearance. Spock is now captain of Intrepid II and is summoned to assist an old friend, David Rabin. The two had met many years before on Vulcan. The novel jumps between to two encounters which have many similiarities.

The action is intense throughout the book, depictions of both the new and familiar characters is handled well. For Spock fans (which should be just about everyone reading this book) it is a feast of background information on his teenage years and decision to enter the Academy.

The main flaw, in my opinion, was that it drug on a bit. I think that it would have been better if it were about 50 pages shorter.

The same authors also wrote VULCAN'S HEART two years later, which contains references to this novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Spock became who he is today., May 26, 2003
Ben Riddle (Cuyahoga Falls, OH USA) - See all my reviews
A little over a year after the disappearance of Capt. Kirk, as seen in Generations, Spock, now in command of the science vessel Intrepid II, receives a call for help from his friend David Rabin, commander of the Federation colony on the desert planet Obsidian, within sneezing distance of the Romulan Neutral Zone. David is convinced the Romulans are engaging in corrupt business activities there. The investigation brings back memories of Spock's childhood, when he and David were forced to find their way home in the Vulcan desert after attending Spock's violently disrupted coming of age ceremony.
What I enjoy most about this book is the insight it brings to Spock's character development. We find out for the first time what it might really have been that would make Spock decide to defy his father's wishes and join Starfleet rather than the Vulcan Science Academy. I am reminded of similar circumstances in my own life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful!, May 3, 2003
Allen E. Stern (Murrieta, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a science fiction book as much as I enjoyed this one! The authors did a wonderful job in their portraits of Spock and his father. The storyline/plot was also very engaging. I could not put the book down. And please note that I give this book very high praise when I say how much I loved this 'science fiction book'. This book ranks with the best sci-fi I have read - Star Trek or any other science fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just finished reading SAREK and :, July 19, 1999
By A Customer
started Vulcan's Forge and found SAREK fascinating, because of the amount of info regarding what happened to Spock after he died onboard the Enterprise and was resurected, I was blown away by Captain/Admiral James Kirks relative nephew when he took on that Klingon slime of a leader for the love of a the Klingon woman Valdyr, that was even more thrilling than the incident of where Spock had a run in with his father regarding the fact he left Vulcan for the negotiations to save the planet when his wife and Spock's mother was on her death bed but I understand his motivation especially when "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one" - I plan to read Spock's World after this Vulcan's Forge because I'm trying to find out some more about the planet Vulcan, I find Vulcan's Forge just a little hard to get through because I am trying to find out more about Spock and what happened after he died when he was reborn or reconstituted after "The Search for Spock" movie. These books fill in some gaps that I was not aware of after seeing the movies. - And I do not want anyone to give anything away since I have not yet read 'Spock's World'

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, March 14, 1999
By A Customer
This is a great book. It definitely tells a lot about what Spock is really like, beneath that logical exterior. It also gives us a new perspective on Uhura. The crew of the Intrepid II is called to Obsidian to help a childhood friend of Spock's, Captain David Rabin. Rebels are sabotaging Star Fleets attempts to help the residents on Obsidian, who suffer from malformations because of solar flairs. This book also takes us back to where Spock decided to join Star Fleet. As you would expect, there is the typical struggle between Spock's human and Vulcan halves, not to mention a heated argument with his father (if you can call the way Vulcans argue heated). You also see a side of Sarek you wouldn't expect to see, unless you've read Spock's World (which I also highly recommend). The conflict that Bones has with Rabin adds to the humor of the book, and the fight scene with Sered is wonderfully depicted. A wonderful novel that has both humor, suspense, and a few touching moments. I highly recommend it.

Vulcan's Forge (Star Trek: The Original Series)
Vulcan's Forge (Star Trek: The Original Series) by Josepha Sherman (Hardcover - August 1, 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01