1,510 of 1,546 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Totally lives up to the hype--We love Sophie!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:12 Mins
My name is Shelby and this is my video review of my 5-month-old son playing with Sophie the Giraffe. We love Sophie. She is very well-made and I hope seeing Sophie in action will be helpful to others. Also, I think I repeat myself a little in the video--sorry about that!

*****UPDATE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS LATER*****
Little Theo in the video is...
Published on June 4, 2009 by S. Hogan

1.0 out of 5 stars BABY CAN CHOKE!
Sure, it's cute and fun, but beware...

YOUR CHILD CAN CHOKE ON THIS TOY!

Published on May 27, 2010 by Eliza Baker

1,510 of 1,546 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Totally lives up to the hype--We love Sophie!, June 4, 2009
S. Hogan (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether, Brown/White (Baby Product)
Length:: 2:12 Mins

*****UPDATE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS LATER*****
Little Theo in the video is turning 4 at the end of this month and I wanted to comment on what a long and useful life his Sophie had. She endured years of some very hard chewing and never cracked, tore, or got any holes. She got a little dirty and lost some paint, but other than that she was still going strong when Theo finally outgrew her. Her long legs turned out to be perfect for those 2 year molars as well, since they reached all the way back. I ended up throwing her away since it seemed like a really gross hand-me-down, but she was structurally in as good a condition as the day we bought her.

Now we're on baby #2 and Sophie #2. Our daughter had six teeth (four on top, two bottom) when we adopted her at 16 months old and she took to Sophie right away. If you're wondering if Sophie is a good teether for an older infant or a child who already has some teeth and a strong jaw, I give that a wholehearted "Yes!" As long as there are still teeth coming in, Sophie is fantastic.

Please be aware that no young child should be left unattended with any toy including Sophie. Because of her size and shape, she is easy to remove from a child's mouth should something go wrong. As I said, our Sophie lasted over 3 years without any cracking or splitting.

We STILL love Sophie, even after all of these years. Happy teething!
**************************************

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the price deter you!, October 11, 2008
L. Cabrera (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
My 5 month old daughter LOVES her Sophie the Giraffe toy! This toy is absolutely wonderful in every way. Sophie is made of soft rubber and makes a pleasant-sounding squeak whenever any part of her body is squeezed, so even a young baby can elicit a reaction from the toy with minimal effort.

I don't know what it is about Sophie, but whenever my daughter plays with her, she gets very vocal and talkative.

I saw another review which referred to this toy as "a glorified dog toy". That reviewer is mistaken, and simply doesn't realize the value of this toy.

- Sophie's body, while soft, has several areas of thicker rubber (the nubs on her head, her ears, and her feet) which are perfect for teething babies to gnaw on for relief.
- Sophie's contrasting colors (spots) are visually stimulating to a baby.
- She is easy to grip given her long, thin neck.
- This toy is made of 100% natural rubber and uses food-grade paint (SAFE!).
- This is a quality baby toy which will last for many years.

I would much rather pay $20 for a safe, engaging toy for my baby, than pay $5 for some piece of junk with lead paint.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see why the kids like this..., July 29, 2009
We just got this for our infant, and I couldn't help but give it a bit of a test chew, myself. Now, I obviously don't have a huge deal of experience (or, memory, rather) with teething toys, but this is good stuff. Very satisfying to bite on. I'm thinking of getting a second one for myself to use in the office to deal with stress. Much better than my kid's silicone pacifier, which I've also tried.

My only complaint is that the giraffe appears to have fluorescent lip stick, which is a bit disconcerting to see in a giraffe, even a French one.

1.0 out of 5 stars BABY CAN CHOKE!, May 27, 2010
Eliza Baker (Raleigh, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Sure, it's cute and fun, but beware...

YOUR CHILD CAN CHOKE ON THIS TOY!

My 5-month old daughter was playing with Sophie when one of the legs became lodged in her throat. Luckily, I was just a few feet away and heard her gagging and pulled it out of her mouth in time, but what if I hadn't been paying close attention? The fact that this toy is promoted as a teether is appalling. If your child is teething or is at the stage where he or she puts everything in their mouth, PLEASE do not allow them to play with this toy!

It could be deadly.

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGEROUS TOY!!!!!, March 4, 2009
WARNING...never leave your child unattended with this toy!

I was holding my friends baby in my lap while she was playing with her Giraffe, and my friend screamed~she's choking! The baby had the head in her mouth~the material is so flexible that is caved in enough to get in her throat, then expanded again in her throat! I literally had to pull it out! Had she been in her rear facing car seat when this happened~well, I don't even want to think about it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't risk your childs life!, May 6, 2010
Our baby loved Sophie for many months and we thought it was a great toy. She loved chewing on it however at 6 months we had the most awful scare. She was playing on the floor happily chewing her leg as usual when we heard a gurgling sound and rushed over only to discover to find Sophies front foreleg half-way down her throat and her unable to breathe, dislodge it or cry out. We immediately pulled it out and other than an awful scare all was fine. Needless to say that Sophie has been put away and we will never take such a chance again.

What would have happened if we wouldn't have been right beside her?

1.0 out of 5 stars Legs are choking hazard, December 6, 2008
Kindle Customer (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Initially, we fell in the camp of enthusiastic adorers of this toy. Baby learned to pass it from hand to hand, retrieve it when lost and gaze intently into the friendly face. Then he managed to stuff one of the long legs deep into his mouth and started to gag. The legs are exactly the size that can block airways. Since he was supervised, nothing bad happened, but babes at this age (4 months) don't have enough control to pull back the toy from their mouths when already scared by the gagging. I don't think I'll try again at a later date -- even older babes are still too young to be trusted to react correctly when a leg goes too far in.

This toy has many thoughtful features -- no-slip texture, right-size for hands, light weight, soft (no banging on heads), friendly face and an engaging presence. But the legs can choke, which is why we've replaced it with a friendly velvet rocketship...

5.0 out of 5 stars Her *favorite* toy!!, January 19, 2008
My four month old is obsessed with Sophie. She can't get enough of it. It is easy for her to hold and bring to her mouth. She just started to teeth and Sophie appears to give her some relief. She also loves the "squeak" sound it makes and is able to make it squeak all by herself. I love that it is easy to wash, small, and not cutesy or fussy. Although it is more expensive than other toys, it is worth it. I highly recommend this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie is GREAT, February 14, 2008
Diana Brady "Will's Mommy" (Nashville, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
It is so refreshing to not have to worry about letting your child put something in his/her mouth!!! With all the worries of lead paint, this product is a a great reliever! It is made in the French Alps with natural rubber and non-toxic paint which made it's selling point with me. My child loves it and the size is perfect for little hands. I recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie the endearing rubber friend, February 26, 2009
My four month old baby loves this giraffe! I tried other teethers that were more standard, and he couldn't stand them. Ring teethers were too huge in all areas to get into his mouth at all, and the plastic was too hard and brittle and seemed to cause him pain.

This Sophie teether is completely different. Some reviewers compared it to a dog toy, and I guess in some ways it's similar, but the rubber is a much finer grade and so much softer than any dog toy I've ever witnessed. It has a pleasant scent and taste as well. It's easy for my son to hold on to and he seems to like looking at it and "coos" to it.

Another reviewer called it a gagging hazard. It's no more a gagging hazard than your child's own fingers. As with any toy, your children should be supervised at play, but I think it's impossible for your child to choke on the Sophie teether. It's large and durable. My son has been using his Sophie for weeks without incident. They've been making Sophie giraffes for generations, the brand has stood the test of time.

Beautifully painted with natural food paint, this toy evokes a feeling of nostalgia, it will make for an adorable keepsake long after your baby outgrows it. Worth the cost; throw away a few bucks on something your child will not use, or spend just a few dollars more for this cherishable giraffe. I intend to purchase more items from Vulli. My baby's gums are soothed and his smile is super happy!

Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether, Brown/White