3,765 Reviews
 (2,492)

1,474 of 1,510 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Totally lives up to the hype--We love Sophie!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:12 Mins
My name is Shelby and this is my video review of my 5-month-old son playing with Sophie the Giraffe. We love Sophie. She is very well-made and I hope seeing Sophie in action will be helpful to others. Also, I think I repeat myself a little in the video--sorry about that!

*****UPDATE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS LATER*****
Little Theo in the video is...
Published on June 4, 2009 by S. Hogan

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake!
Published on May 23, 2011 by Donna

1,474 of 1,510 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Totally lives up to the hype--We love Sophie!, June 4, 2009
S. Hogan (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 2:12 Mins

*****UPDATE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS LATER*****
Little Theo in the video is turning 4 at the end of this month and I wanted to comment on what a long and useful life his Sophie had. She endured years of some very hard chewing and never cracked, tore, or got any holes. She got a little dirty and lost some paint, but other than that she was still going strong when Theo finally outgrew her. Her long legs turned out to be perfect for those 2 year molars as well, since they reached all the way back. I ended up throwing her away since it seemed like a really gross hand-me-down, but she was structurally in as good a condition as the day we bought her.

Now we're on baby #2 and Sophie #2. Our daughter had six teeth (four on top, two bottom) when we adopted her at 16 months old and she took to Sophie right away. If you're wondering if Sophie is a good teether for an older infant or a child who already has some teeth and a strong jaw, I give that a wholehearted "Yes!" As long as there are still teeth coming in, Sophie is fantastic.

Please be aware that no young child should be left unattended with any toy including Sophie. Because of her size and shape, she is easy to remove from a child's mouth should something go wrong. As I said, our Sophie lasted over 3 years without any cracking or splitting.

We STILL love Sophie, even after all of these years. Happy teething!
**************************************

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the price deter you!, October 11, 2008
L. Cabrera (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
My 5 month old daughter LOVES her Sophie the Giraffe toy! This toy is absolutely wonderful in every way. Sophie is made of soft rubber and makes a pleasant-sounding squeak whenever any part of her body is squeezed, so even a young baby can elicit a reaction from the toy with minimal effort.

I don't know what it is about Sophie, but whenever my daughter plays with her, she gets very vocal and talkative.

I saw another review which referred to this toy as "a glorified dog toy". That reviewer is mistaken, and simply doesn't realize the value of this toy.

- Sophie's body, while soft, has several areas of thicker rubber (the nubs on her head, her ears, and her feet) which are perfect for teething babies to gnaw on for relief.
- Sophie's contrasting colors (spots) are visually stimulating to a baby.
- She is easy to grip given her long, thin neck.
- This toy is made of 100% natural rubber and uses food-grade paint (SAFE!).
- This is a quality baby toy which will last for many years.

I would much rather pay $20 for a safe, engaging toy for my baby, than pay $5 for some piece of junk with lead paint.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see why the kids like this..., July 29, 2009
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
We just got this for our infant, and I couldn't help but give it a bit of a test chew, myself. Now, I obviously don't have a huge deal of experience (or, memory, rather) with teething toys, but this is good stuff. Very satisfying to bite on. I'm thinking of getting a second one for myself to use in the office to deal with stress. Much better than my kid's silicone pacifier, which I've also tried.

My only complaint is that the giraffe appears to have fluorescent lip stick, which is a bit disconcerting to see in a giraffe, even a French one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake!, May 23, 2011
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
Beware! This is a fake! I would have never noticed if I didn't hold it up beside a real one. They are totally different. I figured this out because the paint began to peel off immediately and my cousin told me she had the same problem with one she got off of amazon. She went to a store and bought a replacement that will not peel. When we compared the two, the colors of the giraffe are different, the spots are different, and even the shape and legs are different. It is a shame someone is selling these fakes, or at least a bad version of the toy since the paint will come off in a child's mouth.

1.0 out of 5 stars My baby could have choked to death on this toy!, August 8, 2011
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
We've had Sophie for a little while, and until 3 days ago, I often recommended it to others. I am still a bit traumatized over what happened (and could have happened), and would definitely NOT recommend it unless a baby is secure and unable to roll over with it. I would also strongly caution anyone who owns this toy to PLEASE be careful and supervise your child at all times! I am extremely careful about my children's toys (choking hazards don't stay in the house!), yet the possibility of this hazard didn't even occur to me until it happened. Hopefully, sharing my experience will prevent a tragedy for another family.

My teething baby was chewing on Sophie and rolled onto his tummy (he is not yet able to roll from tummy to back consistently). When he rolled, Sophie's long leg jammed into his throat. Since he was on top of it and couldn't roll back, he could not get it out. I was right there and didn't even realize what was happening until he made a muffled crying sound. When I picked him up, he was already turning purple and immediately vomited and started screaming. Just another minute or two and the situation could have turned tragic. So far, neither the US distributor nor the manufacturer has responded to my attempts to contact them, but I'm hopeful they will respond and implement a design change (shorter legs?) to eliminate the possibility of this happening.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING CHOKING HAZARD! DO NOT PURCHASE!!!, May 26, 2010
I heard my baby gagging and rushed over to find one of the legs stuck in her throat!! Her face was turning blue when I pulled it out of her mouth. Please do not risk your baby's life by purchasing this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting rubber smell! TOXIC AND CARCINOGENIC?! & why don't they made baby Teether with medical grade silicon, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
I prepare to throw my Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether to basement because that i accidently read another baby mather's review about this product tonight and i have the same instinct with her. this Giraffe Teether do has Disgusting rubber smell! why don't they made baby Teether with medical grade silicon and why should i spent such amount of money which is enough to buy a medical grade silicon Teether to buy a rubber smell dog toy ? i just bought a baby Teether with medical grade silicon hope this time it would be perfect. god bless american .the following is that mather's partial review i just quote it here .

This product is the opposite of what it claims to be! I would give it zero stars if I could! I dismissed my husband's comments that we could have found something just like this at Petco. However, I could not shake that nagging feeling that Sophie just smells too intense/too rubbery, and that washing it did not improve it.
I bought Sophie like many, mainly to have a safe, 'natural' teether for our little daughter - and she loved chewing on it. Oh, I should have just listened to my instincts!
Just recently I came across all the consumer warnings on the German Amazon website (Amazon.de), and I am so upset that this did not get, and is still (!) not getting any press in the United States:

In October 2011 the German "Oekotest", a German Consumer Report Magazine, tested Sophie and shockingly, gave it an "F" grade, the worst possible rating, concluding that the giraffe is NOT MARKETABLE due to the high concentration of CARCINOGENIC NITROSAMINES! A French Consumer Report Magazine (Que Choisir) came to a similiar conclusion. Vulli responded that the levels found were still 'safe' for a toy (although, not for a teether!), a lawsuit ensued, which Oekotest won in January 2012. In March 2012 Vulli pledged to EUROPEAN consumers to change their manufacturing technique to detoxify the product! (When they will do this is not clear.)
NOW, in May 2012 the "Chemical and Veterinarian Investigations Office" (CVUA Stuttgart), an official food control and animal health laboratory in Germany, has confirmed the findings of the consumer report magazines: The sample contained 18 times the allowable amount of nitrosable amines (that stomach acid converts to the dangerous and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines), and declared the giraffe unmarketable, unsafe and unfit to be sold!

1.0 out of 5 stars BABY CAN CHOKE!, May 27, 2010
Eliza Baker (Raleigh, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
Sure, it's cute and fun, but beware...

YOUR CHILD CAN CHOKE ON THIS TOY!

My 5-month old daughter was playing with Sophie when one of the legs became lodged in her throat. Luckily, I was just a few feet away and heard her gagging and pulled it out of her mouth in time, but what if I hadn't been paying close attention? The fact that this toy is promoted as a teether is appalling. If your child is teething or is at the stage where he or she puts everything in their mouth, PLEASE do not allow them to play with this toy!

It could be deadly.

3.0 out of 5 stars please be careful, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
Please be careful when giving this product to your baby. My 4 month old was on his tummy/chest while teething on this toy when he began to choke. If you notice the legs of the giraffe are thinner than the rest of its body and they are separated so one of the legs got stuck in his throat (still attached). I was able to easily pull it out but of course he was very upset. Please do not leave your baby alone while playing with this toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!, January 26, 2011
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
Like so many others, my 6 month old grandson almost choked on this toy. The curved front leg was lodged in his throat and when it was pulled out, he threw up everywhere. You CANNOT leave a child alone with this toy, even for a minute!

Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether