Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

Size: PDSWF-ST44-VPChange

on November 15, 2012
I've been using this scanner with a MacBook Pro for about a week and so far so good. You do need to have a microsd card for the scanner to work so be sure to buy that at the same time so you can use it right away.

The scan quality is good, but it can be difficult to make a perfect scan since you have to manually guide the wand over whatever it is you are scanning. This may be problematic depending on what you are scanning. I have scanned flat pages and you can see areas where one side of the scanner may have been moved faster than the other side, resulting in a slightly skewed result. I think this will improve with practice, and it may help to cover the page with a transparent sheet so you don't have to worry about holding it down while scanning with your other hand.

I've also scanned pages in books and I truly prefer using the wand rather than scanning books on a flatbed scanner. Would be hard with small paperbacks though. Results definitely depend on margins of the book and how flat the page is. Overall, I think the quality is great.

When scanning a multi-page document into a pdf, each page is scanned as one file. Then you have to merge them into one document on the computer, which is relatively easy on a Mac using Preview.

The wifi function works decently, but could be improved. To connect to wifi, you turn on the wifi switch, then you have to reconnect your computer or device (e.g. iphone) to the scanners wifi network (Magic Wand). You put in the default password, then you have to go to your browser and type into the address bar which will basically bring up a link to your microsd card, with all the scans on it. You then open each file, and download it to your computer. I think this process could be improved. Its A LOT of steps. After that, you have to remember to reconnect to your own wifi network. You can always take the microsd card out and put it into the accompanying card reader for your computer, which may be faster.

The iphone app could be useful in some ways, but lacks some basic functions, like being able to email the file to yourself. Because of this, and because I try to clean up the scans after scanning them, I just find it easier to do it on the computer, so haven't found much use for the app.
on August 29, 2012
Scans better than I thought it would but it requires practice to scan with a steady hand. The great thing about this scanner is one can scan an entire newspaper page by scanning the page top to bottom, left side, right side, then stitch the images together with Microsoft ICE (free.) Fantastic!
on November 28, 2012
This small scanner is fabulous. I managed to scan hundreds of pics in no time at all. In addition I can take it anywhere in my briefcase, scan a document at a clients, hand them back the original and save, paste or send to the cloud in minutes. The wifi feature is difficult to work out but the real value is in the speed you can scan, save and edit. The PDF/JPEG feature is super and resolutions are crisp and clear. After a few attempts I quickly mastered the right speed to pas the wand over the document. Too fast and you get blurry images. All in all the price and function make this scanner an amazing product. Could not be happier!
on January 5, 2014
I read voraciously, but even so magazines pile up in my living room because there is always that one article I want to read in a back issue... I tried tearing out the pages, but they pile up too - and are hard to keep together... Finally I had the idea to scan them and file them for future reading, and it's been AWESOME.

Yes, it takes a bit of practice to hold steady - but it's really not that difficult after the first few pages.
The battery issue: I scanned 137 pages before the delivered Alkaline Energizer batteries gave out - that is not exactly what I'd call a battery hog... I did scan 1/3 of the pages using B&W vs. Color, though not sure that really makes a difference. I switched them out for the blue Energizer Lithium ones - we'll see how far they go.

My husband is working on a business case that requires him to do a lot of research in actual libraries, and we love the fact that he can make scans of articles and pages he wants to use later without having to make physical photocopies of the pages there.

This is also perfect on business trips to scan receipts immediately each day, so in case you lose the originals you don't have to try to recreate something from your credit card files, or ask for a reprint from the business.

Finally, this is wonderful for scanning things you want to remember, but not physically store - like special Christmas cards and birthday cards, notes from a loved one, old photographs, and to create a backup copy of a paper address book if you haven't manually entered everything into your phone or computer. Not to mention old tax forms, donation receipts.... the list is endless.

An 8GB microSD with a regular SD converter card will run $15-20, and will store masses of files. The cable makes it easy to connect and manage the files.

You put the batteries in, put the microSD in the slot, press and hold the power button for 2 seconds to turn on.
To start the scan, put the wand down on the page and press the power button once, then drag the wand over the page or receipt or whatever, and when you want to stop the scan, press the power button again once. Viola - you're done. A green light confirms that you are scanning or not, so it's easy to confirm that the data input is working. I noticed that if you forget to stop the scan, if you pick the wand up, and it's away from the page for a few seconds, it seems to automatically stop scanning - not sure if that's intentional or not, but it did not compromise the quality of any images that I noticed.

The only difficulty here is uneven surfaces... being a wand, the movement of the paper under your hand can create some blurry images, but 99% of my images are clear or readably clear, and that's more than reasonable for the tradeoffs of size, ease of use, value, etc.

This is a great gift for those guys who are impossible to buy for - whether he's scanning his golf score cards, tax donation forms, or magazine articles.

Perfect for the highly organized or highly disorganized person.
Perfect for the compulsive reader who doesn't have enough time to read everything.
Perfect for the traveler who doesn't want to carry the whole guidebook with them.
Perfect for saving the menus at restaurants when you don't want to use your flash to take a photo.
Perfect for scanning recipes from old cookbooks and index cards in a box at your mom's house.
Perfect for saving certificates and awards you don't want to hang on the wall, since paper degrades over time.
Perfect for scanning textiles - take them home and print them out to test them with your color schemes (even textures are picked up!)

on February 4, 2013
Setting up the Wi-Fi to review scanned pictures on my iPad during a recent trip to visit family was actually fun. I expected there might be occasional hesitation smears during hand-scanning of family albums, and it did happen a few times. However, those glitches (less than 5%) became immediately obvious when reviewing the scans on my iPad, so I could easily and quickly re-scan the very few occurrences.
on February 12, 2013
The wifi is awkward to use. I opted for this battery driven model because of its portability despite reviewers commenting that it ate batteries. I returned it because there was no deskewing software like I have on my Android app (Camscam). Just couldn't get it to go in straight. I replaced it with a Plustek, which was the only small scammer I found that had the deskewing software. It powers through a USB port to the computer. I ama very happy with the Plustek.
on March 29, 2015
this is my second hand scanner it cost I/2 my original plus it came with a case and chip. I gave it a 4 star rating it could earn the fifth star by long life.
on April 25, 2015
Nice packaged bundle. Very low depth of field, good on flat surface only. Good handy format easy to carry. Good write to SD card feature.
on May 28, 2015
Makes excellent copies, at good speed and with little operator skill required. It just works, and works, with no problems.
on June 20, 2015
Very good quality in both construction of unit and of scanned image. The screen is a little hard to read due to it's small size but once you are used to locations of the various icons it is easy to adjust. It comes with good quality batteries rather than the unknown brands that are furnished with most portable devices. A couple of the documents I scanned were over a hundred years old and the ink had faded to a point where they were very hard to read. The scanned images came out with much better contrast and are easier to read than the originals. I'm very satisfied with this unit.