Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Style Name: Winch|Change

on July 20, 2011
I've been off-roading for more than four decades. Bikes, buggies and now, a 4x4. Never really thought I needed a winch until I got the 4X4, but since my Trooper weighs in at around 4,500 pounds, I knew there was no way I could get out of a "sticky" situation without a winch. I run in sand at Hatteras, hills and woods at Wind Rock and make the occasional trip to CO to explore old mining trails and hunt for ghost towns. And I always travel alone. So, one of my first purchases for the Trooper was an ARB bullbar and a Warn M8000. That was in 2002. Oddly, since then, I haven't had a desperate need for a winch. Oh, there have been numerous times when I have had to clear a large branch or tree from the trail, but I've never been stuck, so I never had a chance to put the M8000 to the test.

Then, this Spring, I had a 70', 18" diameter black pine break in a windstorm and fall into the lake near my boat dock where we live. After failing to get TVA to remove it (it was on their easement), I decided to see if the Trooper, ARB bullbar and Warn winch were up to the task. The tree was in about 3-5 feet of water and would have to be lifted about 8' to get it up into my yard where I could cut it up with a chainsaw. I had no idea what the tree weighed, so to aid in the lifting and increase the pulling power, I strapped a snatch block onto another standing tree as high as I could reach in an attempt to pull the trunk of the tree in the water up onto the embankment. I paid out about half the wire rope (50') to gain a little mechanical advantage. The tree moved freely as I oriented it perpendicular to the shore, but eventually snagged on the rip-rap on the shoreline. Not sure if I would overtax the M8000, I continued the pull, stopping occasionally to allow it to cool.

The winch struggled with the pull, but managed to coax the tree trunk up and onto the embankment. Then, I attached the snatch block to a tree some 60 feet away and positioned the Trooper about another 30' or so from the snatch block at about a 45 degree angle. When I started the pull, the tree moved only a few feet further into my yard before the winch started pulling the Trooper across the grass towards the snatch block. I blocked all four wheels and tried again. No dice. The tree was too heavy (but the winch, although it was clearly struggling, pulled on). Finally, I backed the Trooper up to another tree and wrapped a strap around it and hooked both ends over the tow hook on the back. When I began to pull, there was so much force that I actually was pretty sure something was going to give - the winch, the bumper, maybe even the frame of the truck. The winch was clearly maxed out and turned slowly. But the tree moved. I took my time and allowed the winch to cool after about each 1 1/2 - 2 minute pull. It took maybe 1/2 an hour, but the tree eventually all ended up in the yard where I could saw it up.

The winch never failed (nor did the bull bar or the frame of the Trooper) and it saved me nearly the cost of purchase that day alone. Now, when I'm on the trail, I have full confidence that I can deal with almost any extrication issue that comes along. Well done, Warn!
review image review image
on September 23, 2010
This is the best basic winch you can get. Don't be fooled into buying any of the cheaper ones. Learn from my mistakes. It does what it says it does. Pulls four tons. Has paid for itself in my case with one emergency use. Had to pull and lift 2.5 tons which it did with ease. I would recommend having a snatch block and either a chain or heavy strap to give more options when needed. It is not always possible to get the truck with the winch in exactly the right spot. The snatch block allows for more choices.
on August 23, 2011
I did way too much research and went back and forth between brands and synthetic vs cable. I am happy I went with the M8000 winch with the $80 rebate. The price is right at $539.99 ($459.00 after) for an entry level , but very capable and quality winch. It is more made in the USA than the other products out there (makes me feel good) and the cable was the right choice for me. A lot of people are on the synthetic bandwagon because it cuts a few pounds and looks cool, but the UV light, dirt, mud, sand, rocks, and weather can quickly take a toll on the syn fibers. I called WARN about the syn options and was told that most of the exec's at WARN run cable when it really matters on the trail. I also was asked, 'If you were to slide off a cliff, would you want to rely on synthetic, or steel cable'. Far fetched for what I'll do, but a good analogy. I also picked up the WARN winch cover for the M8000 and it fits great. If you are spending this much $$$ on a winch, you want it to last, and operate like new when you need it. But yes, it looks way cooler uncovered! You won't regret going WARN.
on July 2, 2011
I almost bought this from another retailer but decided to go with Amazon since their customer service is so good. I'm glad I did. The first winch didn't work. Amazon sent another winch overnight had UPS pick up the broken winch. I love Amazon.
on July 13, 2011
I'll say it again, M8000 now comes with a mounting bracket so no need to order another unless you want a spare...So far I have only operated it to stretch the line. It seems everyone has one of these. One thing I should have considered- my driving habits. I know many people submerge their winches without problem and I do my fair share of water crossings.... I'm not saying don't get this if you see any water...it's just something to consider
Great price for one of Warns top selling winches- lifetime warranty- Warns ultimate reliability. I'll update after more use.
Aside from the winch you'll need to invest in a few things. A tree protector strap (not an ordinary tow strap), a snatch block or two (doubles your pulling capacity), shackle or two, heavy duty gloves, and a heavy blanket or jacket. You can buy a kit which includes much of what you need. Warn, ARB, Rugged Ridge and many others have these kits available. Advisable also is a cover to protect your investment from the elements.
on April 2, 2012
Just an outstanding value. The M8000 replaced a 9klb Badlands winch. Previous winch worked but was slow and could overheat under heavy use. Thus far the M8000 has surpassed it in winching speed and winching duration.

Although now much more expensive than they used to be ($750 vs $550) if you shop around you can get the new version at the old price.

An excellent buy for Jeep owners as the winching capacity is more than sufficient for any kind of trouble you get yoruself into.
on January 9, 2016
Perfect for a Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ, or two door JK and all CJs. If you have the old TJ Unlimited (LJ) or the JK Unlimited (both of which are heavier vehicles) I would bump up to a 9,000 or 10,000 winch.

The VR series are the Chinese-made Warns we all knew would one day become a reality. The M series are currently still 100% made in the US, though. The main differences (to me) are the higher quality of the controller and the use of the contactor box over the solenoid of the VR series. The VR is a good enough winch for a low cost, foreign one. The M8000 is the real deal, though. It will work when you need it to. It will last. It pulls like a goat, too.

Keep in mind that if you have never owned a winch - this one is about 85 pounds. You will need a winch bumper or a winch mounting plate. Your stock alternator and battery (minimum of 665 CCA) will work fine, but you can always upgrade the system as you learn what you need and want. Setup is pretty straightforward.

I do not want synthetic line. I am not sold on it at all right now. And it adds like $300 to your expenses. The tried and true steel cable on this will suit my needs perfectly.

The price of this when *I* bought is was only $110 more than the Chinese Warn VR8000. Just spend the extra hundred and get the real thing. This is some solid gear and a great upgrade for any open topped Jeep 4x4!
on January 23, 2016
Genuine Warn M8000. What can be said. If you want the best, buy Warn. If you have a 2-door Jeep, this winch is perfect, and really, it should be enough for a 4-door JK. Get yourself a snatch block, and you've got 16,000 pounds of pulling capacity.
on April 30, 2014
This is the 2nd M8000 I've purchased. The first one is still running strong ... this one is going on a different Jeep. The first one has never failed me in all the years I've had it.

But, Warn will provide support and parts even for really old winches if needed. I just finished restoring a Warn 8274 built back in Feb 1982 as a Christmas present for my son. Warn reps helped me find the right parts and provided advice on the rebuild. Try getting that type of support from any other winch manufacturer!!!

And, it's made in the USA and support is in the US.
on February 15, 2012
It shipped in 2 days, Thanks Amazon! Great price for a great winch. I hooked it up, put the jeep in gear and let it do its thing. Pulled the jeep like a toy. Great line speed and I'm very happy!