2,630 Reviews
 (1,778)

5.0 out of 5 stars Restful & Pleasing to Me!
Published on May 14, 2010 by Arcturus70

1.0 out of 5 stars Two defective lamps so far!
I bought two of these Salt Lamps.... Within days the electric went on one of them. Amazon replaced it.. Now 2 1/2 months later, another lamps electric is defective. The first one I believe was just a faulty electric on/off (rotation) switch.

But this one now appears to be a faulty design with these lamps.

I took this apart and the electric bulb...
Published on December 10, 2011 by James Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Restful & Pleasing to Me!, May 14, 2010
Arcturus70 "Arcturus70" (In the Orion Spur of the Milky Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews
The first time I encountered a salt lamp was in a local day spa that features therapeutic massages. The warm, glowing product captured my interest and curiosity. That particular salt lamp at the spa was big, though,--a sphere kind of like something from a Harry Potter movie--LOL! The salt sphere was costing over $100, so it was beyond my budget at the time. My curiosity led to me Amazon to see if I could find a smaller, more affordable one. To my joy, I found that Amazon had various opportunities for a product like this, but to my worry, there seemed to be some negativity / problems about certain groups of products. I read all the mixed reviews from various products, including the horror stories where people had received defective, damaged lamps and beat up boxes. After landing on this product's page and mulling it over for a day or two, I decided to try the product...for better or worse. I clicked checkout, and I didn't set my expectations too high. So, the day came, and the product arrived in a nice, clean sturdy outer box with plastic air bags as internal cushions. The product was heavy, but its personal box inside the shipping box was in pristine condition---no bangs, dents, scraps, etc. My heart lifted! So, I carefully opened that outer box and encountered a white innerbox, then at last, the product in carefully arranged, secure bubble wrap. It was quite obviously new---not some display product that had been in someone's shop and stuffed in a box at the last minute for shipping. I did NOT see any broken pieces, shards, dust, or broken bulb! (The bulb was included; some reviewers had stated they had received the product with no bulb.) Also, one of the best things for me: no upfront assembly was required! :) Once the lamp was free from packing materials, it was ready to go! I flipped the generous-sized switch and received the beauty, magic, and joy a salt lamp promised to offer.

In my experience with this WBM International product, everything was in perfect order--better than expected actually, and the product even came with a helpful little user manual that discusses the following: 1) Product Features; 2) Benefits; 3) Locations for Usage; 4) FAQ section; 5) Safety Instructions & Handling; 6) Operating Instructions and maintenance; 7) How to Change Bulb when needed / what type of replacement bulb to use; and 8) company contact information. I suggest that everyone read this information thoroughly before using the lamp!

One of the FAQ questions caught my eye, and I thought it was interesting information to pass along to potential buyers: "What size should an Ionic Salt Lamp be to give the best results?" The answer was given with some examples in a little grid, but here, I will give you some of the information as text. Quoted from User Manual: "A rough rule of thumb is 1 pound for every 10 square feet." / For optimal results in large rooms, several lamps should be strategically placed throughout the room." Examples:Room: Office Cubicle; lamp size needed, 4-8lbs. Room Size: 10' x 20'; lamp size needed, 16-23lbs **

**You should be aware, though, that some people believe such products' health benefits to be an outright hoax / scam from specified source, and googling salt lamp scams can be very interesting reading for those that like to delve into more research and debates, You get to see people that swear by them and people who believe its all bunk--with everything in between. It can be really difficult to decide who to believe and why! LOL :)

Health Happy product or Hoax--it's still an interesting, unusual lamp to me. The whole product is really earthy and natural looking, and if someone didn't like earthy and natural, he / she may not like this product. People who like smooth, "elegant" products and no jagged edges may not like this product. I, however, was pleased with the unique, somewhat egg shape of my lamp. I find its peaks and valleys to be most distinctive and interesting.

From my view, the light's color is rather like a happy, warm orange that rather glows like embers in the fireplace. I cannot speak to its actual ionic health properties and / or as scam folks would say, the "lack there of." I believe that determination comes with more use and time and what people wish to research and believe or disbelieve as the case may be. However, in my home, this strange lamp comforts through its glow and appearance. It inspires creativity, conversation, and humor--really, its hard to be so miserable and serious around a lamp made of a large lump of salt! LOL I feel most blessed to have received a quality, intact product, and it is my wish that others receive the same quality and satisfaction with the Salt Lamp as I have. My advise is to read product reviews and informational articles first before you buy---especially with certain manufacturers as well as certain types of electrical chords / bases. Be safety concerned for you and yours as apparently there are a lot of inferior products in this category from certain providers / sellers! Be sure to look at SELLER reviews / ratings also. [I suspect the seller / manufacturers makes a notable difference between receiving quality and a box of junk --scams, crams, and otherwise.] A visit to the WBM International website can give you specific product details as it relates to uses for their products like the one on this page, its benefits, and even its alleged healing. Sometimes, with healing and comfort, attitude and belief are everything! If you believe something is positive in your life and helpful, then maybe in many cases that something is! :) Everyone's experiences are different.

This is a lamp to rest or relax by, not to read by. As with any electrical product, exercise caution AND good sense, especially when changing the bulb or working with the cord. I personally would be mindful about putting this around small children or pets who might grab or bump it--potentially hurting themselves or the lamp. To help other buyers, I have added some images of the box I received. One of the panels confirms the UL listing. // I purchased the "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" option, and my salt lamp is from WBM. [There seems to be at least one competing product from Ancient Secrets and Tiger Dive!] Again read choices and reviews carefully!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have found that they do work!, November 10, 2013
My wife and I are amazed by the beauty of these lights as they are very soothing to look at. Ours looks like a large glowing ember and creates a feeling of warmth about it. But it is how these lights work that blew us away. The claim that these lights can help sinus sufferers seems to have some truth to it. What really clinched it was when we placed one near my wife's father who is 98 years old, has C.O.P.D. and is paralyzed on one side and bed ridden. His normal routine included between 6 or 7 nebulizer treatments a day. After about a week we noticed that he was going longer and longer times between treatments. Currently he needs only 4 treatments a day and none during the night. Nothing else has changed in regards to his care-giving and he was completely unaware of the lamp and it's effects (he could not see it as it was behind him and out of his sight). The people we hire to care-give during the day are equally amazed by his improved breathing. When we finally told him about the lamp he just couldn't believe a light could help him with his breathing. The claim that these lights purify the air also seems based on fact. Since we care-give 24/7 to my wife's father and currently live with him, our house hasn't been lived in for going on 6 years now (except for rare times we can get away over night to sleep there). The house developed a musty smell due to a lack of activity and so I decided to buy a lamp for the house. Within a few days the house had a much fresher smell-no fragrance just a fresh smell, with no funky odors. People who visit us are struck by the beauty of these lights. We have 3 at my father-in-law's residence and one at our home. When we tell them about the added benefit of how these lights can help with breathing problems and eliminate odors they ask me to get them one too! To date I have purchased 29, yes that is right-29 lights for family and friends. I'm sure that Amazon must think that I am crazy for buying so many lights. I'm probably going to order even more since every time I buy these lights, sometimes 4 at a time, they are already spoken for and I have to reorder to fill the new requests. I have read the reviews of those who say they do not work,(in all fairness to the lamps they are not a cure-all but simply help lessen the severity of the symptoms). It appears that the more severe the health problems are, the greater the beneficial results can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Helps!!!!!, August 3, 2010
This review is from: WBM Himalayan Light #1002 Natural Air Purifying Himalayan Salt Lamp with Neem Wood Base, Bulb and Dimmer switch (Tools & Home Improvement)
I moved into my new apartment and had the worst allergies. I was taking medicine but I was still waking up every morning with a lot of mucous in my sinuses/throat/everywhere. So a friend told me about her salt crystal lamp and how it had helped her so I went ahead and bought this. I've been using it for about 2 weeks now and no more allergies! This think is amazing! I was skeptical at first especially since it's electric but even after a couple days of use I noticed a huge improvement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neato Lamp - Gives Off a Nice Light, May 3, 2010
Before I realized they were sold here, I bought one on clearance at the Vitamin Shoppe (50% off retail). My personal experience is that they are very nice-looking (IMHO) and since I bought mine with positive intentions, I am reminded of that, when I turn it on. I use it in my bedroom, on a wooden dresser (no issues with moisture or flaking, but I have had to replace the bulb once within the 6 months I've owned it). I've used it in two homes now, and really like the "decor" effect it gave, in both. Currently, there are bright lights outside my bedroom window, which cast unpleasant shadows around my room at night. I haven't yet gotten shades, but I do use the lamp while I'm sleeping, which eliminates these shadows as I fall asleep, or if I wake up in the night ('cause there's some light inside the room, now). If you're a 'conscious-shopper', and the production/procurement/distribution methods affect your buying choices, that might be another thing to consider, as I don't know how these lamps come into being. I have seen some brands tout their fair-tradey-ness, so if you're concerned about that, I'm thinking there may be a number of options. I'm generally an open-minded skeptic, who finds all this new-agey "stuff" interesting enough to research, or at least look into. These lamps may have the ability to ionize/purify/filter, but I can't prove that, in my personal experience. I do know that I like how it looks (on & off), I often feel better/calmer when I have it on (who knows why?!), it is a good reminder for those positive intentions, as well as a 'signal' that it's time to relax and get ready for bed (I think that can be proven via stimulus/response), the price (for mine) was right, and, when I bought it, I needed a lower-light lamp, anyway. So, if any part of my experience resonates with your needs, and if you can afford to take the risk that you may really just be buying a dim lamp, then it may be a worthy purchase, as at least THIS new-agey item does have one scientifically-proven function.

I rely on reviews here at Amazon, to help me make informed buying choices. I hope this review has helped you in the same manner. If you voted this as helpful, I Thank You!

1.0 out of 5 stars Two defective lamps so far!, December 10, 2011

But this one now appears to be a faulty design with these lamps.

I took this apart and the electric bulb holder was loaded with salt that apparently had loosened up from the lamp because of the heat and moisture. I cleaned it and replaced the bulb from my other lamp, but it will not work. There should be something covering the bulb and bulb holder to prevent the salt from getting all over it..

Also good to know, both of my lamps drip a lot of water on to the furniture they are on.. I've placed a dish under both of them, but the danger is the cord ends up sitting in the water as the water now collects in the dish! Not a good idea me thinks!

These lamps are a good idea. they give out a nice light, but the electric portion of this lamp is destined to fail as the salt falls down on the bulb and holder and the cord sitting in the water.. And it is dangerous that the lamp cord ends up sitting in water collect is the dish placed under the lamp.

I would strongly suggest to anyone using these lamps to place a dish under the lamp and empty it daily. I would also suggest you take the bottom of the unit (electric) off the lamp weekly and clean out any salt near the bulb..

Jim

December 21, 2011

I now have more info and concerns about these lamps... As I explained in my initial review, these lamps gather moisture from the air and will make your furniture wet, very wet. Placing a saucer under the lamp is supposed to protect your furniture, the only problem is the water gathers in the saucer and the lamp cord is sitting in the water, THIS IS SO DANGEROUS!

Well now I have found with the lamp plugged in, but the light not turned on, this salt lamp still collects a lot of water in the saucer, thus allowing the plugged in cord again to be sitting in water!! I can not express how DANGEROUS this is!

I have removed the electrical part of the Lamp, placed the Salt part on my kitchen counters and again, water is all over the counters... This time the electric was not plugged in, but I am amazed how much moisture these salt lamps collect from the air! Certainly most people buy these lamps to use the light, doing so puts every user in danger. The cord comes out of the lamp on the bottom, and this is where the water gathers in the saucer... Any lamp plugged in while the cord is sitting in water is HIGHLY DANGEROUS for electrocuting someone!

PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THESE LAMPs!

JIM

5.0 out of 5 stars Something great, May 17, 2010
This is the fourth Himalayan Natural Salt Lamp I Have ordered. All my family wants one. Amazon prices have been the best and shipping is really great. The lamp really works.!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage!, August 22, 2012
Beware the Buyer: I strongly recommend no one waste a single cent on Outlet Plus products. I purchased this salt lamp back in June and received it in the beginning of July with a defective cord. I contacted this seller to replace the cord and the cord never came. I asked the Seller what was going on and said that USPS probably lost it. So, time elapsed and again more emails back and forth as to what would be done. First I was told 3-5 business days then it became 2 weeks and plus for another delivery. This is now August and the 2nd replacement cord arrives August 14th. I tried this replacement cord after much waiting to see what this salt lamp would finally look like. Guess what this cord did? It exploded no sooner did I switch on the cord. The bulb blew (type designated for this type of cord) and the cord itself melted. I wasted some $60 dollars on this trash. And, that is exactly where all of it went...into the trash where Outlet Plus products belong! By the way, I did contact Amazon for filing an A-Z claim and Amazon did very well in this claim. However, Outlet Plus harassed me by emails telling me they do not deserve a bad review and I need to remove or delete my review. I will not remove this review because it is the truth to my experience with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sceptic impressed, December 10, 2010
I'm not into homeopathic medicine and new age cures, but my dad is. I got this as a Christmas gift for him because he's obsessed with crystals and "changing the energy" in the household. I thought this was perfect because it's not only a crystal, but it ionizes the air-- literally changing the energy of the room. When I first received it, I tested it out to see how well it works, and after leaving it on for only an hour, I could noticeably smell the difference of the air. There was a crisp smell similar to ozone that emanated from the salt. I thought it would take a large amount of time, or wouldn't be something I could notice, but I was so impressed by how large of a difference it made that I bought another.

3.0 out of 5 stars What they dont tell you, April 24, 2012
I agree with all the positive reviews about how nice it looks. No problem there from an aesthetic viewpoint.

But I deducted 2 stars because of what they don't tell you in the Amazon description. We bought this for the supposed health benefits and the brochure that comes with the lamp says the recommended amount of salt needed is 2 lbs for every 10 sq ft of space (ie a small 2'x5' area). So for a 10'x10' room, that requires 20 lbs of salt or three of the 8 inch lamps which weigh 7 lbs each!!! And I thought one of the salt baskets (10 lbs) would be big enough for our kitchen but I now see I need seven of them!!

I feel like there is a little bait and switch going on here. If people knew up front how many of these they would need to properly ionize a room, they probably wouldn't sell as many. I'm keeping them but feel they should have been more up front.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural beauty, January 3, 2012
Bob "Bob in Big Bear Ca" (Big Bear, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the 8" tall lamp and was impressed enough to want one on my desk and in my bedroom, but the 8" is pretty big for the areas I meant to use them in so I went with two of the 7 inch lamps for those areas, and have the 8 inch basket in the dinning room.

I know not everyone is going to enjoy these equally, but I would think if you're into Natural History or the religions of their origin your going to love them.

I've read the complaints that the lamps don't have enough color, maybe that's true but if that is the case a small 15 watt amber light bulb will do wonders. Luckily my lamps are beautiful when lit or not, but really show off their color when they're turned on.

One thing I really like that seems to be missing in the description is the variable power switch the 7 and 8 inch lamps have. They give you the ability turn the lamps on high to produce a bright amber color, to a lower power setting that can produce a deep rich color.

All three of the lamps I have look like they're an outstanding example of large natural crystals, and the wood base adds a nice accent to them and protects your table tops. By the way the one on my night stand makes a wonderful nightlight.

Honestly my opinion is that they're natural beauty's, allot like something you might see at the Natural History Museum in one of the Rock and Crystal displays, and at this price I think they're an amazing buy.