5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Compatible
Fits perfectly into all 40, 60, and 80 GB Fat Models, this review does not excludede the slim models, however I do not own a slim and therefore am unable to test the compatibility. The PS3 automatically formats the HDD upon start up and takes roughly 30 seconds!
Published on September 20, 2011 by Matt

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst HDD For PS3 DO NOT BUY
Purchased this product for my Slim PS3 back in May of 2012 worked great for about 2-3 months then kept having data loss and corruptions. PS3 kept freezing up, having to restore the file system and when that happened it always told me that I had to format my HDD as well which in turn made me lose all my game saves, pictures, videos and huge library of games. At first I...
Published 19 months ago by Scott Jr. Clydesdale

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Compatible, September 20, 2011
Matt (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD Blue 1 TB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD10JPVT (Personal Computers)

4.0 out of 5 stars MacBook Upgrade, September 4, 2011
Put this in a MacBook to upgrade to 1TB. Fitted well, works well. Painless installation and now lots of room for Lion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 9.5mm 1TB drive, August 21, 2011
Bought this to replace the first WD 1TB drive that was 12.5 mm Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT. There was nothing wrong with the other one, I just wanted to put my OWC 240GB SSD back in the HDD spot and fit this into the optical drive spot. I used an OWC Data Doubler for this and it works a treat. The previous drive I had was 12.5 mm tall and so I had to put the SSD in the optical drive spot and the HDD in the normal spot (this being in an early 2011 17 inch MBP). This drive is nice and quiet, obviously has a ton of space and it sips power. Transfer speeds are very good, I used FW800 to copy everything over before I installed it and I was getting 85 megabytes per second on the high end and 60-65 on the low end. If you need a slimmer 1TB 2.5 inch laptop drive for massive storage then this is the drive for you. It's a really great drive and will fit in anything that will accept a 9.5 mm 2.5 inch HDD. For those of you with MBPs this will fit in the optical drive spot no problem and OWC sells the Data Doubler that is extremely well made for a great price. Coupled with an OWD 240GB SSD (dual booting OS X and Windows 7) I average 10 second cold boots, have a ton of extra space for both OSes (have a partition set up for both OSes without a single hiccup), and my battery life took a minimal hit. Used to get 6.5 hours out of a charge with just my SSD, I get about 5.5 to 6 hours now. That drop is well worth having all your data in one place without an external drive mucking up the works and Time Machine backs up both drives to my old WD 1TB (Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT)drive at a smoking fast rate. If you're looking for a very fast drive with a ton of space and sips power then this drive is for you! It's a screaming deal so pick one up quick, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Ultimate" PS3 Upgrade - Gamers Rejoice!!!, March 4, 2012
My first thought on receiving the box with the drive in it was that it almost felt empty. I own a laptop computer but I've never had cause to remove the hard disk. I was impressed by Seagate's CFII-sized hard disks but those only hold -- as far as I know -- a maximum of 8GB. This HDD is, in comparison, almost incredible. I did some reading and it seems as though WD's engineers are pushing the boundaries of physics and electromechanical engineering with this little beast (and basically hit a brick wall as far as capacity in this form factor). So, if you've been waiting to upgrade your PS3 to the largest possible hard disk that will fit, wait no longer!

Backing up the drive of my CECH-2001A (120GB - 4GB of free space) took about three hours using a freshly-formatted 2.5TB USB external drive (guiformat.exe will FAT32 a 2.5TB drive in a matter of seconds). Installing the drive in the PS3 took a few of minutes (mostly spent fumbling with the tiny screws). The PS3 formatted the drive quickly and began installing the newest (4.11) firmware from the USB disk (X:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP). I cancelled out of the "setup" and began restoring the backup from the USB disk (at which time the PS3 formatted the hard disk -again-). The restoration process took a little more than four hours (I had a lot of stuff on that 120GB disk). All of my settings were intact but most of my themes had disappeared (they were still available through my PSN download history, though, so everything was back to "normal" in just a few minutes).

I didn't think to do a before/after comparison but I'd swear that it goes from "standby" to "usable" a few seconds faster than it did with the stock hard disk. This is not advertised as a "performance" drive and I don't expect 7200RPM speed out of it (and I won't have to deal with the heat or ridiculous power consumption of a 7200RPM drive). I've had zero problems with it so far (but it's only been in use for a day). I'll probably update this review in a few months to give a progress report. I'm hoping that I'll never have to worry about WD's warranty. I've known their products to be quite robust if treated with respect. Never move the drive for any reason while it's still spinning and it ought to last for years and years (my oldest WD drive is over 10 years old and it's still holding data).

My PS3 now has ~750GB of free space. That level of "future proof" is well worth the price of this drive as far as I'm concerned. Not having to delete PSN games (or old game data from disc-based games) just to play a new demo/game is PRICELESS! I also have enough disk space to start importing my CD collection (which will make GT5 much more enjoyable). I'm not happy about having to use MP3 (instead of FLAC) but >192kbps is generally acceptable (and if I'm paying that much attention to the music while gaming, it can't be a good game)...

5.0 out of 5 stars works perfectly with PS3, September 5, 2012
used to upgrade 160gb PS3 to well a terabyte. fit in the playstation slim's hard drive slot perfectly and works well, i have had for a few months now with no problems will re-post if it dies or anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as an upgrade for PS3, January 8, 2013
This works very well for my ps3. In fact, it is one of the few (maybe the only one) of the 1tb drives that is both the correct speed and thickness to work. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a ps3 looking to upgrade their storage space. It is also a good idea to consider using a digistor usb ps3 backup to backup your old hard drive first.

5.0 out of 5 stars notebook hard drive, March 31, 2012
I put this harddrive in my 13" MacBook Pro and it is working great. It came quickly, and has delieved the expected results.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, and fits normal normal 2.5" Laptop dive bays, May 7, 2012
Finally, a 1TB 2.5" drive that is a standardized 9.5mm instead of the original 12.5mm of the old 1TB. The older model of this drive worked fine but would not fit in many devices because it was taller than the standard 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive. This drive fixes that issue by fitting within the normal laptop drive space. Perfect. Thank you Western Digital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 1-TB drive: compact 9.5mm height for laptop use, very quiet, low power consumption, fairly fast, at a great price!, December 16, 2012
இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾѾѾ Highly recommended with warm fuzzies!

I have two of these 1-TB drives installed in a laptop that is often used for the editing of photos, images, and very large video files. I had originally considered getting two of the faster 7200-RPM "Scorpio Black" series drives. But the largest "Black" drive is 750 GB, and for my purposes of needing storage space more than speed, the 2 TB of disk space from having two of these 1-TB drives installed in my laptop is significantly more important than having 500-GB less space by installing two of the faster 7200-RPM 750-GB "Black" drives.

The 9.5mm-height form factor of this drive means that it can fit inside most laptops. The drive was shipped from Amazon using Amazon's "Frustration-Free Packaging" of a cardboard box and molded cardboard holding the drive inside the box. There are four threaded inserts on the two longer sides of the drive for use with standard mounting screws; no mounting screws or hard drive bracket/caddy are provided with this hard drive. This drive is rated at a very quiet 22 dBA sound level when idle, and 25 dBA when the drive is seeking/reading/writing. With two of these drives installed inside my laptop, I can only barely hear the drives' operations in a quiet room when my ears are about one to two feet away from the drives' location inside the laptop and the drives are actively reading/writing. When the laptop is idle, I do not hear the drives at all. And even if this hard drive is actively seeking/reading/writing, its tiny sound is masked by my laptop's fan noise even if the fan starts running from its slowest speed.

When tested using the "HD Tune" hard drive performance benchmarking tool, it turns out that this 5400-RPM Scorpio Blue drive compares favorably to the 7200-RPM Scorpio Black drives, even though the faster Black drives also have a 16-MB cache compared to the smaller 8-MB cache on the Blue drives. On my installed 1-TB drives, HD Tune reported a minimum/maximum/average read speed of 56, 115, and 89 MB/sec, and a minimum/maximum/average write speed of 42, 113, and 88 MB/sec. This is only about 10% to 15% slower than the performance of the largest-capacity 750-GB Scorpio Black drive. This 5400-RPM drive is slightly faster than Seagate's 7200-RPM Momentus drive, and it even compares favorably to Seagate's Momentus XT Hybrid Drive. This drive's random access read and write times are also comparable to both the 7200-RPM Scorpio Black and Seagate's 7200-RPM Momentus drives.

Western Digital offers an "Acronis TrueImage" that can be downloaded from their Web site to let you copy all your data from an old drive to a new drive so you do not have to reinstall your operating system to get all the benefits of a new drive. If you do replace your main system drive, you can either use cloning software such as "Acronis True Image" to mirror all your system files and applications back onto the new drive, or you can perform a fresh OS install and reinstall all applications that you were using. The advantage of cloning your system files and applications is that it is much faster to put everything back onto the new drive. The advantage of performing fresh installs of the OS and applications is that it can often declutter your files and free up hundreds of megabytes of space (which is like totally cleaning out a basement that has accumulated years of stuff).

If you are trying to decide between the 7200-RPM Scorpio Black drive (or some other faster 7200-RPM mobile-form-factor drive), the "Black" drive will be about 10% to 15% faster than this "Blue" drive. Although I am using two of these drives for photo/video editing and two 7200-RPM 750-MB Scorpio Black drives would have performed faster when editing very large HD video files, this drive has pretty good performance and two of these drives do not use as much energy or generate as much heat as two 7200-RPM drives. If you frequently use your laptop unplugged and you want to maximize the number of hours that you can run on battery power, two 5400-RPM drives drain the battery less than two 7200-RPM drives. The Scorpio Black drives already use less power than many 7200-RPM laptop drives. But these Scorpio Blue drives use 20% less power when reading/writing and 25% less power when idling than the Scorpio Black drives. I love that I can pack 2-TB of reliable, quiet, inexpensive, and take-it-with-me portable storage into my laptop without needing to bring along external hard drives. I can dream about the day that it becomes affordable to equip a laptop with two 1-TB SSD drives, but for now, this 5400-RPM drive is really not that much slower compared to most 7200-RPM drives.

I rely both on my own research and the opinions of others to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope that this review helped you to be a wise shopper! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hassle-Free!! Works Flawlessly with Fat Original PS3, October 11, 2012
After reading many reviews about which drive to choose for an upgrade (Seagate Spinpoint vs Western Digital Scorpio Blue), there were much more positive reviews for the Western Digital drive overall. Some have mentioned that the Seagate drive sometimes is not detected by the PS3 (depending whether it's the slim or fat version), so I decided to buy this drive instead. I am upgrading my old (fat version) PS3 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle that I bought a couple of years back. The installation was successful and easy to do. After booting up the PS3 with the new hard drive, it will format it accordingly and the total amount of GB will be 931GB after system files are installed. So far, my PS3 is humming along nicely with no problems at all. This WD 1TB drive is a definite must for those who want to give their old PS3 a "tune up" to last another few years before the next generation console makes it obsolete. I definitely recommend this drive!

Instructions on installing new hard drive into PS3:
-Back up all of your saved data onto an external HDD drive (make sure it's formatted to FAT32 or else the PS3 will not read it) via the PS3 menu
-Replace the old PS3 hard drive (mine was Seagate branded) with the WD 1TB Scorpio Blue HD.
-Turn on PS3 and it should ask you if you want to format it before use. Click Yes and after format, go back to the PS3 menu and select restore backup.
-Enjoy!