5.0 out of 5 stars It's practical!
Published on April 2, 2011 by Charles H. Thompson III

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but doesn't dig deep enough
"Normal is to strive for the center of what the world lives like. Weird is to live to be in the center of God's will" p. 120

Published on May 7, 2011 by Aaron Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars It's practical!, April 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a balanced book. Let me explain what I mean. Craig deals with situations the ordinary American believer and unbeliever faces. Things such as time management, responsible financial decisions, marriage, parenting, sexual purity, intimacy, relationship with God, and morals. He approaches the topics with personal stories, others' examples, Bible centered advice, and ways to apply the solutions to life practically. What he said about time is worth mentioning here. God gave us enough time to accomplish His will for our lives, we do not need more time. We need to handle the time we have right. The chapter on marriage stirred my heart to put more effort into my relationship with my wife. The chapter on parenting encouraged me to live Jesus before my daughter and keep an eternal perspective of her becoming Christ-like instead of achieving the world's idea of success. He said to be real with kids by being human and admitting failure. One last thought, Craig states no one starts a marriage thinking they will have an affair, but so many people do today. He shows insightfully how someone gets to the place they have an affair when they thought it could never happen. The tips to be vigilant in this area are great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but doesn't dig deep enough, May 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Craig Groeschel claims to be weird and he encourages his readers to be weird as well. Why? Because normal just isn't that great. In his book, Weird, Groeschel compares the norm for time management, money, relationships, sex, and values with biblical teachings in order to show that "weird" is better.

Groeschel does a very good job exposing the pitfalls of normal ways of life. I think the honest reader would readily agree. In each area, Groeschel delivers biblical insight and practical steps toward something different. Some of his advice will seem very familiar, whereas some will be more challenging. Groeschel attacks the prosperity gospel in his section on money, which may surprise many readers. He also teaches sexual purity for adults, whereas most Christian authors seem to only address this as a topic for adolescents.

However, much of the book just doesn't seem to go far enough. It loses steam. The sections on time and money are much more detailed and valuable than those on relationships and sex. In the end, I think Groeschel could have gotten his point across in a magazine article. To truly get a lot out of this topic, a series of books may have been better.

For many, this may be a good start. Perhaps it is the initial challenge to no longer consider the Christian life as synonymous with the "American Dream."

If your use of time and money has become a problem or you struggle in your relationships or with sexual sin, this book may be a good place for you to start. If you are already reading David Platt or Francis Chan, there is nothing new here.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is for everyone who wants to live a life that matters, April 5, 2011
Most people at some time feel worn out (stress), maxed out (debt), flat out (busy), this book gives practical ways to get ahead in life and live in a way that matters. I also heard the author is donating all royalties to charity... Now that is WEIRD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, even for middle schoolers, February 8, 2012
This review is from: WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working (Kindle Edition)
im in eigth grade and struggling to maintain a fun yet spiritual life. this book showed me a way to do so, and im proud to be a weird follower of Christ. if you feel the same way, read this work of art. it is absolutely awesome, even for a middle schooler like me :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, January 8, 2012
Dustybug (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
To say that I have been called weird in my life, is to make a very large understatement. I can be a little.....let's say, "eccentric." I'm okay with it, but there have been times in my life when the people around me were most certainly not. *shrug* What can you do to change other people?

Still, there's a little something to be said for being a little different from the mainstream. It shows your true character when you have to defend decisions, behaviors, etc., from the prying questions of those who are "normal." It helps you carve out who you really are in this great big world. Gives you gumption.

That's probably why I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Weird by Craig Groeschel takes being weird to a whole new level. He takes it beyond the style of clothes you like to wear, the foods you like to eat, the hobbies you enjoy to what's really REAL: your relationship with God.

One of the reasons that I believe so many people scoff at Christianity is because too many Christians are living their daily lives blending in to the crowd. You can't distinguish them from any unbeliever on the street. They mesh. And it is not all about physical appearance. We should be such a witness for Jesus that people stop and take notice. Not because we are standing on a street corner with a huge sign yelling at all the "heathens," or because we pass out tracts absentmindedly to the servers in restaurants, but because we actually, truly live what we preach and believe! Consistently, not just on Sunday morning or during Bible study.

Craig Groeschel takes five integral parts of human life: time, money, relationships, sex, and values and breaks them down into how these aspects of a Christian's life should be different from the rest of the world. We live IN the world, but are not OF the world, remember? Salt of the earth and all that jazz? Easy to say, hard to do.

Far from most "self-help" books that float around under the Christian living genre, this book really stood out to me. It is short of psycho-babble and full of godly counsel. I really enjoyed the down to earth way it was laid out. You felt like you were just sitting down and having a chat with a good friend, albeit a heavily spiritual chat, but a nice chat nonetheless. His advice is practical, but always related back to Scripture and I felt conviction stir within myself when I really took the time to test my life against these standards. This is a dangerous time we live in. It is easy to just go along with the flow than to cause a ripple, but how can we spread the Gospel if we don't live it?

Want to change your perspective on a few things in your own life? Then pick up this book. You won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's To Being Weird!, September 2, 2011
If "normal" is our goal in life, Craig Groeschel believes we are aiming much too low. In "Weird: Because Normal Isn't Working", this pastor/author warmly invites us to walk on the narrow path where true fulfillment and purpose lie. He shreds the notion that blending in is a good thing and dares us to shift our paradigms to the downright weird. Looking at five fundamental areas in our lives¯time, money, relationships, sex, and values¯Groeschel challenges us to look beyond the "acceptable" and dig deep into what God has to say about our everyday choices.

This down-to-earth book is especially helpful in revealing the lies we are up against in our affluent, success-driven, overly-busy Western culture. Groeschel holds nothing back as he systematically attacks the norm and points us to a much greater Truth, one which seems counterintuitive to most. His perspective on time management, for example, caused me to evaluate the rushed pace and full schedule I normally keep. I realized that I am often a slave to the urgent, rather than the important, living as though my busyness is an indication of my worth and value. How freeing to understand that "when we follow Jesus, we're about our Father's business, not about the world's busyness"!

Groeschel also shines as he ponders our values, the final section of "Weird". He boldly asks us to consider God's "unusual" blessings...burdens. Examining those things that break our hearts, that make us righteously angry, and that move us towards action, Groeschel paints a poignant picture of how God can use his burdened children to make a difference in this world. I was able to see how God uses those things that deeply disturb us as a catalyst for change and for making an eternal impact. Rather than stopping my gratitude short for only the good things, I am able to thank God for those things that leave an ache in my heart, too.

For those Christians who feel as though they're stuck in a rut, going through the motions of Christianity, but not living much differently than the rest of America, this book is a timely gift! Looking at Isaiah and the Book of Revelation, we examine God's description of those "people (who) come near to me with their mouth and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me" (Isa. 29:13). These are those whom God calls "lukewarm" in the Book of Revelation. Groeschel wraps up his message with a powerful punch: "My concern for our culture...is that we've made lukewarm synonymous with normal." Here's to being weird!

5.0 out of 5 stars HE WAS TALKING DIRECTLY TO "ME" and telling much of my story, July 23, 2011
This review is from: WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working (Kindle Edition)
This is not your typical "in your face" approach to coming back to Christ. Craig Groeschel really uses personal experiences that felt like he was telling my story. I could really relate to how "normal" I'd become. His challenge is that we become different as Christians. In essence...to be WEIRD! He takes a very balanced approach at using relevant scripture verses to support his stories. His challenges are not hard, and those challenges take you to an introspective view of yourself and where you stand with your relationship with Christ. Being a "Lukewarm Christian" is an oxymoron much like "Jumbo Shrimp", and the author really takes his writing energy and allows God to use him to touch the readers.

Our busy lives really become stale with marriage, children, careers, "church life", and it amazes me how we really lose focus on the gifts and talents that God has given each and every one of us. The author excites you, he inspires you, he made me laugh out loud, and I know you will be blessed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Weird Enough, July 23, 2011
*Note - I was given this book for free in exchange for a review.*

Recently it seems like there have been a number of books released by Christian authors challenging followers of Jesus to become more serious about their Christian life ("Radical" and "Not a Fan" to name a couple). "Weird" is another book that follows along these same lines. The basic idea that Groeschel presents, and which he mentions throughout the book, is that most people strive to be normal and avoid being weird. However, normal just is not working, so why not give weird a chance.

The book is broken up into five parts:

1. Time
2. Money
3. Relationships
4. Sex
5. Values.

In each of these sections that author presents Biblical reasonings as well as modern day examples to show us just how true it is that normal is just not working and not only is it not working, Jesus has not called His people to be normal.

I think this was a fairly good book, most of which I do agree with. I would recommend this for any person who wants to get more serious about living out their faith in a way that is pleasing to our Lord.

The one negative aspect of this book is that I was expecting it to be weirder. That may sounds strange, but I guess I was expecting the book to just challenge my socks off and make me want to sell all my possessions and give to the poor. Yes, a lot of what he presented is considered weird to a majority of those within modern-day American culture. And I agree with the author that normal is not working. However, I view what was presented as a bit of a beginning for those who are tired of normal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time To Be WEIRD, April 5, 2011
Pastor Craig does an inspiring job of motivating me to be WEIRD (because normal isn't working)! Far too often I get wrapped up in all I have going on and as a follower of Christ I drift back into the "normal" routines and patterns of life. This was a great kick in the tail to get me back on the WEIRD side of things. Well worth your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read...., April 5, 2011
Pastor Craig is an incredibly gifted writer and Pastor! He is a leading voice for the Church in America today and his insights will challenge the reader to live a life that will change the world around them. This is a MUST READ!!!

WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working