Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on June 11, 2007
I got this to replace a 2001 American Gardner 18 volt cordless trimmer that finally would no longer hold a charge. The Worx has much improved ergonimics, the handles, telescoping shaft, adjustable head angle and light weight are nice. However it lacks the power of the American Gardner, it is unable to cut through as heavy a growth and the string that comes with it is crap. The auto feeder jammed several times the first time I used it and the line would not cut well compared to the 5 sided Shakespeare .65 line I had been using when rewinding my spools on the American Gardner trimmer. So I unwound the Worx spool and replaced their line with the Shakespeare line. The result was much improved cutting. I recommend this to everyone. It is easy to wind your own spools and buying them from Worx is robbery. You can get a large supply of line at Wal-Mart or Home Depot for the cost of one of their spools. The jamming is due to their poor winding of the line. I have not had a feed problem since I did my own. I also found that the battery needs to be kept on the charger constantly as it will not hold a decent charge between weekly mowings. It just needs a bigger motor and battery. When it dies I will get another American Gardner cordless.
2424 comments|586 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2007
I bought this tool for the convenience of battery operation. The Worx surely has this convenience in spades; and its telescoping and multiple handle and trim head positioning features worked flawlessly. I expected it would not be as powerful a large gas model, but to be suitable for my grassy driveway cut. Since it is advertised as an edger as well as a trimmer, I expected it to handle grass trimming easily. Its power however is miniscule. It chokes down in grass much thinner than in most lawns. The line invariably binds in the spool negating its design to auto feed the line as needed. One actually must shut off, turn the unit upsidedown and remove the very small spool to unbind the line and feed it manually. Most of the parts of the business end of the unit are of light plastic and give no confidence on wear life. This unit is suitable for only the lightest and thinnest grasses, and not for edging at all except perhaps for the airiest sandy soil (which my Carolina clay is not). I have an orange garage decoration, and the job of finding a good small gas powered unit.
2929 comments|913 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2007
This line trimmer has some very nice features. It also has some weaknesses.

Strengths:

- electric cordelss (a requirement for me)= no mess/fuss & low noise

- lightweight

- adjustable trim head is very handy - I've never seen this on a line trimmer before. I like it a lot.

- durable - seems like a solid design.

- easily swapped batteries. Inexpensive battery replacement.

Weaknesses:

- not as powerful as their ads led me to belive. I've used a Craftsman 10 in. Electric Weedwacker for the past two years which uses a powerful 24 volt battery system. This trimmer uses an 18 volt. I'm not sure if that's what makes the Craftsman more powerful but something does. The Worx does fine with grass, but I don't think it would work well with anything heavier...

- so so as an edger. Not really powerful enough to dig the edge - but it will trim it and the wheels actually make it work fairly well for this.

- advertise how great the auto feed system is. Mine often required me to take off the bottom and manually feed it. The spool did seem to be poorly rolled so maybe I had a non-typical problem. Seems like it worked ok when the line didn' get caught up inside. Since they boast it as a selling feature, I'm guessing my problems with it were unique to me...
11 comment|296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2008
When I purchased this product six months ago the reviews were 50/50 great vs. terrible so I decided to take the risk considering what I thought were the pros vs. the cons. I'm glad I did.

I use this on about 500 lineal feet of grass every week and it works fine for me. Typically the battery will last right up to the end of it and then it's on it's last legs. Sometimes if there is extra trimming to do it will be more than the battery can handle so my one additional purchase was an extra battery. The power is fine for trimming around the house. If you plan on trimming a field of heavy weeds you shouldn't be looking at this in the first place. The instructions tell you to fully charge the battery and let it fully run out again before recharging. This has worked fine for me with the battery lasting about 45 minutes at it's limit. That's about all the trimming I care to do anyway. If the job isn't done if 45 minutes I'm going in for some iced tea.

I have used this every week for 6 months and am still on my first roll of string, so the complaints that the feeder doesn't work or the string runs out too fast are bogus. The instructions tell you that the feeder works when you release the trigger and let it stop then pull the trigger again. If you don't walk around your yard trying to sound like Dale Jr by revving your trimmer you don't have the running out of string problem.

All of the other features are great. The flexibility of the telescoping arm, the movable head and the trimmer (which took me a few times to master, but works fine once I did...I can't blame the machine for the intelligence of the operator).

Bottom line, if you read and follow the instructions this tool works exactly as advertised. If you are like my dad and don't want to read instructions there is probably a gas trimmer out there somewhere with your name on it.
77 comments|216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2007
I order the WORX GT after seeing the infomercial a multitude of times,Finally I ordered one and gave up on all of my trimming for a month.By the way the neighbors loved me for this,to see what kind of abuse this machine would take.When it finally arrived and I opened the box and minor assembly was required but simple for anyone you Need one Phillipp's screwdriver for one screw.Also a DVD if you didn't understand the instructions.I was impressed oh god forgive me for saying this but the quality of the plastic.It was actually heaver then I expected,Especially the battery.After an hour on the charger off we went.I was very impressed It took down weeds that where 6inches high and 1/4 inch thick.I was pretty certain I would wreck the machine and be getting a refund. That was kinda the plan.The edger although awkward to position this machine into the edger it works well as both and they where even smart enough to put guidelines on the safety guard.Overall good tool but I don't think I'll sell my gas trimmer anytime soon.

Pros:
Two tools in one $100 only gets you an edger some places
Light weight and extremely portable
Decent battery time about 20-25 minutes
Auto feeding Head
Edger leaves lawn looking neat and clean
Three spools of line included
One hour charger
Fold away spacer

Cons:
Changing positions and from trimmer to edger I fell are award and a little clumsy
Free Replacement"For Life" line is 9.99 For two or three spools No thanks I'll buy bulk line and wind the spools myself
Little too short me I believe and I'm 6'2"
Can't wash with hose or pressure washer
I Wish it was A 20 or 24 Volt for a little more run time
Edger wheels need to be 1/4-1/2 inch larger for smoother movement through situations such as broomed concrete
0Comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2008
I wouldn't buy this. The motor is weak AND the battery will not charge after two uses. Called customer support and they told me that batteries are NOT COVERED under the "warranty". Save your money and your blood pressure and go elsewhere.
on September 9, 2007
No power at all, Very poor performer, They talked me into buying a second battery and now I know why, it runs low on power within 10 minutes.

The telescoping shaft is a nice feature but only if you are 4'7" is it of any use. Fully extended it is too short for the average person.

I am waiting a refund!

B&D grasshog is a much better unit, I had my last one for 4 years before I needed to replace it and then late one night, I got sucked into the worx infomercial.
11 comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2007
The trimmer pretty much works as advertised on TV. However, the spools containing the trimmer line are too small and are a rip-off. I used the trimmer twice for about 20 minutes each time and the spool that came with the unit ran out of string! I thought that was ridiculous until I determined the reason. The company has a so-called "free replacement for life" program. This is BS. They want almost $9 for "shipping and handling" for six replacement spools. If USPS is $2.71 to ship that leaave $1.00 of revenue for each spool. At a manufacturing cost of about $.25 they realize a gross profit of $.75 on each spool. If you need a replacement after every two uses, they are going to get a lot of replacement revenue for each unit sold. Kind of like the HP toner or Gillette razor model. Sell the box at break even and make a bundle on the toner or blades. On retrospect, I would probably get the trimmer with the largest possible spool.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2007
I received this WG150 in exchange for the WG103 I had bought. The problem I had with the WG103 was the string kept snapping back in the spool housing. Very frustrating. When I contacted the manufacturer they immediately offered assitance with the WG150. Wow, what a difference. The WG150 is so light and quiet. Was pleasantly surprised at how long the battery charge lasted on my quarter acre of land. Love the ability to convert easily to an edger and the ease of handling. Am so glad that the company backed their product and was easy to work with in resolving the problems I was having with the WG103. A real plus since instead of giving the WG150 a 4 star because of the 10" wide cutting path I am giving it a 5 because of the company backing and assisting the consumer. Thank you WORX.
on August 10, 2007
I ordered the grass trimmer. I used it the first day. When I put the battery to charge It did not turn red.I had to wait another week for the a new charger and It did not work either. I thought now it's the battery. They said no, it's the charger. How lucky am I to get 2 bad chargers... I am sending it back, Am out $ 60.OO, because of the shipping cost and I have nothing to show for my money. With the money I spent on shipping
I could have brought an electric one. They claim the spools are free but only send 2, now you have to pay shipping for the other "free" ones. Don't buy...