Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WHEN EARTHLINGS WEEP
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on April 2, 2013
I wasn't going to write a review for this book, but then Amazon contacted me and wanted to know what rating I would give it, and, after reading the other 4/5 star reviews (curiosity), I felt compelled to tell my story.

I read the first 3 chapters and returned the book for a refund. (nice that Amazon is so good about that) I should have gotten the preview and looked at that. If I had, I wouldn't have ordered the book. (I'm guessing this happens a lot -- the author must be losing a lot of sales -- I hope Amazon reports stats like that, because it would be a "clue" to the author) So I suggest others get the preview first to make sure you are okay with it.

I found a very obvious typo on the first page in the first few paragraphs. That was a red flag. As I read on, I found so many gramma-syntac-tical errors that I just couldn't continue. (including spelling, double-wording (e.g. "to to"), seemingly random, excessive, unnecessary, and incorrect comma usage, etc. -- MANY errors per chapter)

I suppose if errors like that don't bother you, I would guess because you don't notice them, then you could probably enjoy the book. (I'll put up with the occasional error, maybe even one per chapter, which is WAY too many, but beyond that it's too much, and starts getting very irritating, so I can't enjoy the book, and I just don't want to continue reading)

The writing style is also kind of "off". It's hard to describe. But I only read 3 chapters, so...

I gave it two stars instead of one, because it does sound like a good idea for a story, and from what little I read, it seemed to be heading in that direction. I wish I could have kept it and read it. I suggested to the author that he find someone to edit the book. If he does that, I would probably re-purchase.
on October 30, 2013
Science Fiction is not my choice of genre normally, but Michael Barnett is such a detailed writer with the most fascinating imagination I've ever read, I chose to read it through after scanning When Earthlings Weep. First, I have to say it did not disappoint! The concept and the amazing descriptions and unbelievably solid, but strange characters is why I gave this a four. The reason I kept one point off was for the sometimes difficult lack of correct punctuation and typos, especially in the beginning of the book. It was distracting and I feel no matter what one's education, professional editing/proofreading is a must. As writers, we don't always catch our own errors. Had this been done, I'm sure this would be a five star book for most.

For me, Mickey's character was a bit confusing (until the end). There was very little build-up in the beginning of the book for his character before the story led right into the 'nightmare' characters and lifestyle. It's just my opinion that there should have been a break here and there or more often going back to Mickey's normal life out of the nightmares. The last few chapters gave me insight into Mickey's normal character before the nightmares. However, if I were a huge science fiction fan as much as I am a crime fiction fan, I would have read this book twice. So I highly recommend When Earthlings Weep especially to you Science Fiction readers. It will be a luscious dessert.
on May 8, 2013
When Earthlings Weep is the story of Mickey, an ordinary Joe who suffers nightmares as a result of an experiment that was carried out on him whilst he was in the military. He morphs from good Mickey to bad Mickey, destroyer of worlds, whilst two species of aliens slug it out, one to destroy the earth, the other to save it. There is time travel, military operations, death and fantastical creatures in abundance.

First, the reason I gave it four stars, not five. The punctuation is sloppy, with commas where commas ain't ever ought to go, and the Kindle formatting changes the font sizes in unexpected places, which proves a distraction. It make it a hard read at first, but persevere, because this man can WRITE. Yes, there were places where the POV changed mid-paragraph (rookie error) but his descriptions are so beautiful, the worlds and creatures he has created so lovingly drawn, it is easy to forgive the odd technical hitch. His continuity is consistant and all the characters have relevance.

I would have loved to have learned more about Mickey, and about his life before these things started happening to him. It would have helped anchor him in my mind when reading about everyone else. and there were a LOT of characters in this book. Sometimes it was hard to follow. And I think it could have been edited far more ruthlessly, but science fiction isn't my thing and nor is militaria, so maybe what wasn't so interesting to me would have been fascinating to someone else. I also found the constant teleporting hard to follow, but in the end, just went with it, because I loved this man's writing.

Barnett writes with extraordinary range. The Jengans with their Groucho disguises and the terse dialogue of the humans bring to mind early Dean Koontz. The Bruxians, (baddies, because of their brutal name - love it) and the Farsans, cat-like evil creatures of extraordinary power and a deliciously salacious way of expressing their hunger (how delicious!) It was brave and wild and I loved all of it. Shame it was cluttered with clumsy editing (in my opinion) but definitely worth a read. The reviewer who asked for a refund did not give the book a chance. He/she missed the achingly beautiful descriptions of the Jengan world, the seas coming up to meet the captured humans, the Valshavi (although I'm still not sure what that is but sounds like a great acid trip. And the epilogue (II) almost made this earthling weep.

The ending was elegant and touching, and surprisingly down to earth. Does good Mickey save the day? Read it and find out.
on July 11, 2012
I was attracted to science fiction at an early age, but had little opportunity to the rich selection of titles and types that is available today. So I approached When Earthlings Weep with the notion that I probably would not finish it. But it kept my interest as as Mickey Thorn's bad dreams became real and also self directed. (Turns out they were caused by an experiment in college.) The concepts of folding space, moving from world to world, creature to creature, and even some time travel all fit together to make a very readable book. There is more than enough here to make me interested in Michael Barnett's next book.
on June 30, 2012
I have to start by saying I'm not an avid reader of science fiction when it involves creatures from other planets or dimensions. I bought "When Earthlings Weep" because I read Michael Barnett's previous novel and enjoyed his creativity and writing style. I'm glad I did. Mr. Barnett does a great job of creating new and interesting alien beings and is able to write in such as way as to make them completely believable. The humans are also believable characters and they show that no one is perfect and we all have important choices to make which will effect our futures as well as the futures of the people around us. The plot is exciting and well-developed and will keep you turning the pages to find out what happens next. There are many twists and turns which will have readers wondering who will win the final battle. If you enjoy sci-fi, you should definitely by this book. If you don't normally read these types of books, this is a good place to start. - Sheila Rae Myers, Author
on February 3, 2014
When Earthlings Weep is a bold trip between the good and evil within our own existence as funneled through Mickey Thorn. The challenge is to see which side of us is revealed through his ordeal – What is real, what is imagined and what are hopes are.
on February 1, 2013
This book pulls you in from the beginning and keeps you there through the end. The authors ability to describe his incredible imagination gives the reader the ability to see different worlds and strange aliens.
on January 8, 2014
The story was evolving and captivating at the same time. The different types of aliens were fascinating. I enjoyed the Grouchos most of all.
on May 28, 2015
A strange way to tell a story, but it keeps your interest to the end.
on January 31, 2013
You know, I haven't read a good sci-fi novel in quite sometime and am very glad I got the chance to read When Earthlings Weep by Michael Barnett! It was an interesting read to say the least!

As I started reading, I had very mixed feelings, to be honest. I loved storyline and the crazy aspects of it all but there was also a lot of grammatical errors.

There's action, love, aliens, warfare and more!

Imagine Stephen King meets Star Trek meets a blender on high!

=]

When Earth is the battle ground for aliens from far away whens and wheres, and I loved that!

Bruxians are brutal and tunnel visioned and Jengans seem like a more peaceful race.

Drogos and Valshavi and Kree, oh my!!

While a special undercover military force tries to save the world ( and others), they come across some other brave and inspiring characters! Jason and his brother, Patience, and even a gentle and helpful girl from the future called Cassie!

Midway through When Earthlings Weep, you are taken on a roller coaster ride, nay, a interstellar speed race to save this galaxy and the next!

While I did enjoy the book, it was very hard to get through. I only kept with it because like I said before, it's easier to follow in the middle, and I was excited to see what happened at the end. Grammatical errors throughout the book made it tough as well as the "high techness" of the story in some parts.

It's probably because Barnett's imagination is so abstract it was difficult to keep up. It could also be because I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, LOL. It's probably the latter of the two!!

"...When earthlings weep, the end is nigh, When earthlings weep, the earth does die."

When Earthlings Weep throws some curve balls at you! I found myself gasping at several points in the book and literally said "hmm...I didn't see that coming!"

I was not too fussed on the ending myself but that's a personal preference. You may find you really love it!

I would definitely recommend all of you sci-fi fans to read When Earthlings Weep! Anyone else for that matter because while it us difficult at times, it's totally worth it!

My overall thinking? Read it! It's beyond interesting! I'm certainly interested in reading more from Michael Barnett in the future!

For more great reviews, author interviews and more check out [...]