Customer Discussions > My Story forum

WHOSE story?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2007 6:26:27 PM PDT
Kallisto says:
According to Berniece and Mona Rae Miracle (MM's half-sister and her daughter), the authors of "My sister Marilyn", this is NOT a genuine "memoir" by MM.

Whether it's true or not, I cannot say. I just thought the readers should be aware of her family's disclaimer or caveat about this particular book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2007 2:06:43 PM PDT
showgirl-xo says:
It's been confirmed that Ben Hecht wrote this book & even Marilyn during her lifetime made it publicly known that the only biographical account that came close to depicting her life was Maurice Zolotow's Marilyn Monroe which was published during her lifetime. I suppose this is why I cringe everytime I hear people toting this book around as "by Marilyn Monroe".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 7:06:50 AM PDT
Selina Kyle says:
FIRST of all....... why do people insist on calling this woman Nancy Miracle.. and now you say its mona rae miracle, her DAUGHTER??? Marilyn tried numerous times during her life to have a child.. she had many miscarriages.. her last one was one year before she left us. Why do you believe this Italian born woman and her story about her Italian father who had an escapade with Marilyn Monroe?? Didn't every man back then say he slept with her? I HAVE SEEN NO DNA TESTS. Until one is done and a DOCTOR confirms that she has to be the child of Norma jean Mortensen I will NEVER believe her. NO WAY. As for saying what books are true or false.. she needs to say if she is true or false first.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 7:10:46 AM PDT
Selina Kyle says:
WHO confirmed that Hecht wrote this??? When? Where?
Info please before you throw away the one book that we have by Marilyn.
Also... WHEN did Marilyn say that Maurice Zolotow wrote a book about her and that she personally felt it was "closest to her life"? I have never heard of that. If he had done so, wouldn't she have worked on it with him?? Please provide info, links, websites, anything to prove these things before you take away from this great book. It reads like Marilyn spoke.. its a wonderful book and full of revelation .. a great book for people to read to get to know Norma Jean. Bring some evidence... please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:17:00 AM PST
Karen says:
You CRINGE???? I suppose none of us really know but Marilyn and she isn't here to tell us, now is she? I cringe when I see people speak for Marilyn or claim to know what she did or did not publicly announce. While we have some interviews on record, we certainly do not have all. What we do know is she was very close with Milton Greene during the time this book was dictated by Marilyn. If you have even read the book, and know anything about Marilyn, you would see that many of the details fit pretty nicely in with what we do know to be factual. I get so sick and tired of people making the assumption that this book is or should be a chronological account of her life. It is NOT. It is more a less a window into her mind, the way she perceived the events of her childhood and young adulthood in Hollywood. Take it or leave it but please do not dismiss it or "cringe" and try to turn others away from enjoying this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:17:42 AM PST
Karen says:
Yes, thank you. Well said!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:27:13 AM PST
Karen says:
Have you read the book? For not being a "genuine memoir" it comes pretty darn close to sounding a lot like Marilyn spoke and the feelings expressed (from a psychological standpoint) come pretty darn close to what a girl would have felt like had she endured what we KNOW MM endured. This could have had to have been really craftily contrived and although that isn't impossible it is unlikely. If you haven't read the book do it, rather than needlessly comment and try to encourage others to not read it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  My Story forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jul 17, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
My Story
My Story by Marilyn Monroe (Hardcover - September 29, 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (191)