5.0 out of 5 stars Unique new washer
Published on July 31, 2009 by Frankland S. Strickland

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away!
Published on December 9, 2009 by JamesCA

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique new washer, July 31, 2009
First, let me say that historically I've never bought G.E. appliances---especially laundry appliances. My youthful years spent working at Sears as an appliance delivery/installation technician (1986-1991) showed me more than a fair share of fairly new but recently deceased G.E. washers. I remember one customer who had only had hers about a year (and was obviously rich enough to simply buy another rather than repair it). I know that all of this was nearly 15 to 20 years ago and much can change with a company's quality (remember when Maytag appliances were still good and Hyundai cars were horrible?), still, it kept me away from G.E. washers for many years. Ironically, G.E. has built for many years probably the best line of refrigerators and ranges in the industry.

If you're reading this review then it's obvious that you know a thing or two about washers. I don't really need to go into the hows and whys, but I'd like to focus this review on what is unique about this washer.

1. Stainless steel tub!!! Hey, I'm a fool for a stainless steel tub, although I can't really say that they are any better than others. Remember the cool Speed Queens and their once-patented stainless steel tubs?

2. Lack of agitator/"Hydrowave." One benefit of front loading washers is that they can wash more clothes, yet get them cleaner and treat them more gently than a top loading washer with an agitator. Well, this machine is still a top loader but lacks an agitator---at least what we know as an agitator. I suppose the little "nub" in the middle of the tub is the agitator. At any rate, this machine employs what G.E. calls its "Hydrowave" system. Most likely, this is yet another industry buzzword.

3. Super capacity! According to the manual, this has a capacity of 4.1 cubic feet. That's big! Other "super capacity" washers are usually around 3.5 cubic feet. This extra capacity is achieved, of course, by the lack of the traditional agitator.

4. Quiet! In terms of quietness, this machine is what I'll call "library quiet." It really is wonderful not to hear the "clunka clunka" from the Maytag piece of garbage it replaced! It sits perfectly still like a good little church boy during the spin cycle.

5. Drier clothes. No, this is not a one-in-all machine like I've seen in motor homes and Parisian apartments, but this thing gets clothes drier after the spin cycle than any washer I've ever known. Drier clothes after washing means less time in the dryer and, ultimately, less energy consumed.

6. Options. In addition to the multiple cycles and settings on this machine, two extra "bells and whistles" that may prove handy are the "Extra Rinse" option and/or the "Extra Spin" option. I've not used them yet, but certainly see the benefit.

***** WORD TO THE WISE ***** Do not overfill your washing machine! 4.1 cubic feet doesn't mean that you can force 50 pounds of dirty laundry into the maw of this appliance---or any other washer. Nothing shortens the lifespan of a washing machine more than overfilling the machine, yet almost everyone does it. The rule is to fill it no more than halfway from the bottom of the tub. If fact, this washer only fills slightly more than halfway on "Super" capacity. This is probably the reason some reviewers have complained that the machine left some articles of laundry dry in their machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away!, December 9, 2009
Stay away from this machine. GE markets it as 'colossal' capacity and the instruction manual indicates it can be loaded with clothes up to the top holes in the basket, but UNTRUE. It will only handle clothes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the height of the basket, which eliminates washing of blankets, table cloths, large towels (unless you want to wash one at a time). The GE field service technician was surprised at the poor performance, but GE customer service said that it performs as designed! Stay away! In fact, based on my experience, stay away from GE. Never again will I purchase a GE branded appliance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out!!!, August 8, 2010
Jane Gleason (Longmont, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
The good:
1) Machine IS quiet (that's because it really doesn't agitate).

The bad:
1) Doesn't get clothes clean. Doesn't agitate well enough to scrub dirt or even underarm deodorant off cloths. I have to wash all my clothes twice and even then the underarm deodorant doesn't come off the insides of my husband's clothes.

2) Washer isn't really saving us any money (Energy Star whatever) because I am washing everything twice... and for really dirty stuff I'm washing three times!

3) After only 2 years washer has started making horrible banging noises... we think it's the agitator.

4) We tried taking the agitator off ourselves and wasn't able to get it off (UNLIKE every other washing machine we've had), and GE said that's because it can only be removed by a trained repair person... ...ok? Why I wonder they have done this?

5) Trained repair person wants $80 just to walk through our front door. Then there is the $40 and hour he/she will spend pulling the agitator and assessing the problem. Then the cost of parts and such... estimated at approximately $100. Then the additional $40 an hour to install the new part (maybe it will only take half an hour?). ...so maybe as much $260 to repair a $450 washer. Over the phone the repair guy says that if we are lucky he may be able to get it done for as little as $180 IF there's nothing ELSE wrong with it... ...oh yeah... THAT'S why only a trained repair person can pull the agitator.

6) We're just going to buy a new washer... We recommend you do the same and save yourself a lot of extra washings and frustration of high repair costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Washing Machine that DOES NOT Wash Clothes, October 6, 2010
R. Castro "rafaelcjr" (Miramar, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
Bought this machine a couple of months back, replacing a 10 yr old whirlpool that started leaking.

First thing I noticed is the water level -
Yes Wonderful, it's conserving water.

Problem is that the clothes never come out CLEAN. Simple STAINS that used to be cleaned by the old (Non-Energy Efficient) Washer now remain on clothes.

With this Washer, you can actually see and smell the fact that the clothes do not get thoroughly washed and/or rinsed:
1. There are "bands" of washing detergent concentrations on the clothes
2. If you do not see "bands" you can smell a piece of clothing and realize that sections of the clothing got detergent while other parts did not.

I believe is from the facts that
1. This washer uses too little water to do the Washing Job right
2. The agitator just swishes the clothes around does not pull the clothes underwater like the old BIG agitator washers did

I have tried everything - from switching detergents to now using very little clothes on the washer - 1/4 full and MAX water - still same results
clothes come out like I haphazardly and quickly rinsed them in detergent water.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it, May 15, 2010
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
Have had this a week and love it. The clothes dry the first time through the dryer, they do indeed come clean and wash in a very similar way to a front load washer, which also does not put enough water in the machine to cover the clothes. The only reason for 4 stars is that I find the instruction manual a little skimpy on information. I have had to call GE twice now to just clarify a setting question and to go over instructions to wash a comforter. But other wise...awesome washer!

1.0 out of 5 stars really bad washer wish I hadn't bought., November 14, 2010
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
We bought this despite the bad reviews thinking well we will follow the directions and it won't be bad for us. Well think again. It doesn't get your clothes clean. I have to put in very few clothes and wash as super fill level only to get them half way clean. Takes forever to complete cycles. My husband asked me if I was just putting the dirty clothes back without washing them! It doesn't get smells or stains out. I use Tide with Febreeze he detergent. We followed the directions exactly too. I did however switch to putting the detergent on top of the clothes and that seemed to help a little as it seemed to push it down to the bottom of the clothes when filling. Still doesn't get them clean though. The clothes don't get all wet and they end up in the same position I put them in the washer. So they aren't even moving around. And that is with only filling it half full of clothes or less. I HATE this machine. I am already looking for a new one and I still have 3 years left on the warranty. The only good thing it does is get the clothes dry when you take them out so you can dry them in half the time in the dryer. But I think that is due to the fact it didn't put enough water in it to even get them wet in the first place. Opt for a different machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not put in enough water to clean the clothes!, December 13, 2009
MarkNC (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
I recently bought this washer and it lasted a total of one day before it died (would not spin). Then I had to wait an entire week for GE to replace it. Since this washer has such a tiny agitator (6 inches tall), it relies on water currents to move the clothes around. The only problem is, the washer does not add enough water to the tub when it washes clothes so they don't get sufficiently agitated and cleaned. If I put a pair of jeans on top, they will sit there and not even get completely wet. When I specify a load size of SUPER (the largest load size), it only fills the washer halfway full of water. The instruction manual says it is supposed to do this. If I want to fill the tub with water so that my clothes get clean, I have to stand there and hold the LOAD SIZE knob on RESET which forces more water to be added to the wash. The knob is spring loaded so I have to stand there for what seems like an eternity holding that knob until there is enough water in the wash. This can take up to 5 minutes for each load of clothes and is an enormous pain. I cannot figure out a way to make it fill the tub with water every time like my old GE washer which did. I regret buying this washer but I am stuck with it for 5 years since I bought an extended warranty. And why do you think I bought the extended warranty? Because my previous GE washer lasted 3 short years before it died! If this washer had a "water override switch" to force it to fill the tub each time I would give the washer 5 stars. But as it is, I am stuck standing by the washer forcing more water in it each time I wash clothes. As you might have guessed, I am very angry with GE for designing such a washer. It's not like you can try out a washer before buying it either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 1 year and two weeks, August 30, 2010
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
Machine failed to agitate after owning for only 1 year and two weeks. We know how to operate an HE washer. We only used HE detergent and never overloaded the machine. Our clothes cleaned fine. However, a washing machine should not break after only one year. GE makes a substandard product. We will never purchase another GE product considering the lack of quality control. After much internet searching and speaking with appliance repair businesses, we gathered that parts and labor would equal half of what we paid for the washer. We will buy another brand. This machine is junk and I caution buyers to seriously consider another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THE MANUAL!, September 11, 2010
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
I was reluctant to purchase this washer because of the negative reviews. However, I decided to go ahead and buy it because the price was so great. I did not buy it here but got a fantastic deal. Anyway, I really find this washer incredible and have washed just about everything you can wash in a washing machine and the thing just works great. I read the manual extremely thoroughly and really paid attention to what it says in regards to the order of adding the detergent, adding clothes, how to place the clothes in the machine, adjusting the water level, etc. IF YOU DO THIS THE THING WORKS GREAT. In fact, it has the newer technology that the very expensive front loaders have, so I do not understand what the problem is! I really think that some people do not read the manual when they buy something and then freak out when the product does not work properly. This machine does not work like a traditional washing machine. It is energy efficient and uses less water but will get your clothes just as clean and do it in a manner that will not cause as much wear and tear since it does not have a traditional agitator. I am glad that I purchased this.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a new way of washing, May 29, 2010
This review is from: GE WHRE5550KWW 27 4.1 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer - White
If you are going to buy this washer you need to throw out your old way of doing your laundry, please read your instructions from front to back, watch how to vids on the ge web sites, do not try and stuff your machine with clothes, remember soap and softners first put clothes around the basket set your machine for water levels and cycle close lid before turning machine on and never open the lid until machine has finished, i have read all the reviews of people that complain and want to return it, i have washed my entire queen bedding with no problems and everything else i have washed have come out clean and fresh.