5.0 out of 5 stars Is Win the winner?
Check my other reviews for these types of detergents. I have tried several (Win, Win Free, Scuds, and Penguin) and decided give a brief review of all at the same time.

Published on June 7, 2010 by Renbutsu

3.0 out of 5 stars WIN
This is a decent product. It does a good job of removing odors from workout clothing. Sometimes you have to use more than is recommended for loads of more than a few items to clean them well or after particularly sweaty workouts to really get the smell out. All in all it gets the job done.
Published on June 22, 2009 by Patty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Win the winner?, June 7, 2010
This review is from: WIN High Performance Sport Liquid Detergent, 21-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 8) (Health and Beauty)

I find the Win blue bottle works well, a little better than it's sister Win Green Dye Free. Part of it I believe is the blue bottle is scented. I think it works well in combination with removing odors. With the most stubborn odor, if there are a slight scent of it remaining, the scent of the detergent helps to draw any attention away from it.

I would recommend this for any buyers looking to purchase, if you want something that is scent free, then I would suggest either the Win Green Dye Free or the SportSuds.

I definitely notice a scent left by the detergent but I do not find it offensive.

There is a risk with shipping of these. I find both the Win (blue) and the Win Green Dye Free sometimes will leak a little, leaving the buyer to have to rinse the detergent on the outside off of the bottles.

I would recommend those looking to try these odor removing detergents to try out (in order of preference), Win in the Blue bottle, Win Green Dye Free and SportSuds, tying for 2nd place.

UPDATE 9/24/2013: I have noticed typically it may not be the washer that can cause scents/smells on clothing but the dryer. I have seen numerous products in retail to "clean" the washer of smells and odor but nothing for the dryer. The general assumption by the manufacturers are that everything that goes into the dryer is clean and odor-free. This is because a majority of the washing detergents contain a scent/perfume. Also, with all the perfumed dryer sheets, the manufacturers probably figure all is well. For our family, it is different. We use non-dyed, non-perfumed washing detergent. We also use scent free dryer sheets.

I have performed a test and determined it was our dryer adding a smell to the clean clothes. Try this - wash a load with a non-scented detergent, take a couple clothing out and hang dry in another room/area. Dry the rest of the load with a non-scented dryer sheet. I specified non-scented to avoid any cover up of odors/scents on clothing. Hang up a couple dryer dried clothing, next day compare the hanged dried vs dryer dried. Do a smell test with the dryer clothing vs hang dried clothing. It is best to compare under garment clothing like t-shirts as they are closest to our body and absorb the most body odor, etc. You will know easily if the dryer is adding additional smells or not.

Our dryer is over 15 yrs old, it was in the house when we moved in, and we know the previous owner had a dog(s). So our dryer's lifetime history is partially unknown, who knows what was thrown in there. So YMMV, depending on your dryer's history.

Currently, I have been testing cleaning of the dryer drum. I have used a washing cloth with water and some lemon juice. I have also tried baking soda with cloth and water. I've also used the lemon and baking soda cloths, running a short cycle. All work, probably prefer the lemon juice method for now. I may try leaving some carbon in there overnight (not running of course, it may create a mess). There is no smell anymore, so any cleansing will be for prevention. Also, for others, if it's been a long time, vacuum out the lint filter. Wash it if scented sheets are used often, scented sheets coat and gum up the screen and further reduce the dryer ability to exhaust the hot air out to vent, not to mention, maybe even a fire hazard. If you can, I suggest making sure dryer pipe venting out is within city/village code and taking it apart to clean, vacuum, and or wipe the inside. There WILL be lint/dust in that exhaust pipe that the lint screen does not collect, that buildup sitting over the years, from the different seasons and humidity, may also contribute to odors in the dryer.

Finally, I have also made a point of ensuring our laundry area/room is not closed, not musky, and have open air. The dryer circulates air and heat to the clothing, I wanted to make sure the air it is receiving is clean and not musky.

Please click YES if my review have been helpful to you, it will encourage me to continue writing and updating my reviews, and leave a comment if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer if I can be of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts the sour smells!, May 30, 2009
Sonoma (Northern California) - See all my reviews
My husband's exercise clothes are very stinky and this product is unparalleled in cutting the bad odors. I either do a normal wash load with his exercise clothes and WIN, or a soak for an hour or so in WIN - either one considerably reduces or completely eliminates body odors from his exercise clothes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product...(I can't believe I'm reviewing a laundry detergent!.), June 30, 2010
Mark L (Verona, WI USA) - See all my reviews
Outstanding detergent...NOT only for athletic clothes...seems to remove other residual odors too (towels). Beyond the immediate cleaning of sweaty athletic clothes...It seems to remove that locked in odor that seems to be only be made dormant by other detergents... What I'm trying to say...is did you ever have a workout shirt that seems fine after it's laundered and right when you put it on......but the slightest bit of wetness seems to bring out past odors? I.e. You stink a lot more than you should for how much you've perspired! Consequently, you'd avoid wearing workout clothes for everyday wear...and vise versa... ). This stuff breaks that rule.

An added bonus for me...I have a history of allergic reactions (itch) to certain detergents...after many years settled on cheer...but still seems to give me some trouble... Although unscientific...and I can't tell you how it will workout long term...but I seem to have no adverse reaction at all.....possibly because this stuff is not really perfumed... smells fresh...but not perfumed...

We're going to start using this for all of our laundry...great stuff. Note: I haven't evaluated how it is for stains...but suspect it's competitive with others...Probably not an issue for us anyway...no small kids...

For me...the fact I'm even writing a review on this stuff...speaks volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye Smelly Clothes/Towels, June 11, 2009
SFH (Billings, MT) - See all my reviews
Excellent product removes perspiration from bike/hike clothes and sour towels. Won't find it in stores...just order it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye stinky hockey odors, March 29, 2009
L. Strand (Avondale, PA USA) - See all my reviews
My regular detergent just wasn't getting the odor out of my son's hockey garments so I decided to try WIN and I'm happy to report that it did the trick (even using a cold water wash cycle.) I'm ready to buy it by the case now. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Win really worked for me, March 27, 2010
This detergent really worked for my "CoolMax" exercise shirts. As other reviewers said, other detergents cleaned the shirts, but as soon as I started to sweat again, the stench would come back. I tried Win on some shirts I had been using for several years, and it really did remove the established odor. As well, I had a tough workout in one of the Win-cleansed shirts and the odor did not return at the first sign of sweating, or when I was all done. (As a preventive measure, it helps to hang your shirts as soon as you have sweated in them instead of wadding them up in your gym bag afterwards.) I would recommend this product, and will buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Everything It Promises, March 25, 2011
C. Song (New York NY) - See all my reviews
Great detergent, does everything that it promises. I don't actually use a washing machine... I simply soak my workout clothes in a sinkful of water (with a couple of dashes of Win), rinse, and then hang to dry. Because I purchase alot of "performance" fabric sportswear, I find that hand-washing and hang-drying are effective at making everything last longer.

PROS:
- It really works. When I wash my clothes using the above method using a regular detergent, I will find that stains will be gone, however little is done for the smell. With the Win detergent, the smell is usually gone.
- It's ability to work consistently is extremely important to me, as I am a serious athlete and enjoy training on a regular basis.
- Does not harm performance fabric - this may be important to you when you wind up spending $60 per sportsbra or running short.

CONS:
- Small bottle, very expensive, hard to find. Not the most convenient product in the world to get, and Amazon regularly sells out of these. If a more commercial (comparable product) or different version would show up on regular store shelves, I would abandon this brand in a heartbeat. I try to order this product in bulk whenever I am able to find it, making the shopping experience for purchasing this product very unpleasant.

For the commenter who mentioned that Win detergent did not work for him - I actually find that there are times when there is a difference in the effectiveness of the detergent. By doing some experimenting, I've found that using a larger amount of the detergent usually fixes this problem. This could be due to the fabric itself being dirtier, or due to the type of fabric you are using. Cotton garments will tend to require more detergent than lycra-based performance fabrics, however this is simply due to the nature of the fabric. Cotton holds more water and sweat and tends to get stinkier.

For the commenter who mentioned that it shouldn't matter how you smell when working out... well, based upon past experience (!), I find it easier to complete a hard workout if I don't smell anything, or only smell detergent. When exercising heavily, you tend to breathe much harder (and more quickly), and sometimes that makes you more sensitive to smell. It's not always necessarily about how you smell to other people!

3.0 out of 5 stars WIN, June 22, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars WIN with well water, October 19, 2009
We live on rural property and have well water. WIN is the best product for cleaning our dark & colored clothes without using hot water. The odors are removed much more effectively than with regular detergent.

5.0 out of 5 stars WIN with Amazon WIN, March 7, 2010
Excellent product that actually removes smells from runner's clothes! Ordering on Amazon provides great value and convenience: best price and delivered to my door!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›