5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Highrise Customer
Published 13 months ago by MotoGPTech

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Unreachable Windows. Otherwise, Meh.
Why would you want an expensive window cleaner that leaves streaks and misses corners, marketed by an unconventional company?

Glad you asked! Our house has a bunch of windows two to four stories up that can't be cleaned by conventional means. The Winbot gets them 95% clean, which is 95% cleaner than they've been for years.

It took several passes...
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Unreachable Windows. Otherwise, Meh., December 13, 2013
Amazon Customer (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WINBOT W730, the Window Cleaning Robot, for Framed or Frameless Windows (Misc.)

It took several passes for the Winbot to do its best. Considering the heavy buildup of dirt, I was impressed that it worked at all, only stopping once on a large, dirty sliding glass door. But even on the inside windows (likewise not cleaned in a coon's age) a couple of passes were required. And there was still dirt around the edges in places (some of it reachable using the remote control), and swirl marks where it made the last few turns.

Ecovacs' purchase process was not super confidence-inspiring. I bought direct from them to take advantage of the free extension cord, cleaning pads and fluid. You'll need most of that; two sets of pads won't get you very far. I could swear I checked the single payment plan to get free shipping, but it put me on the five payment plan with a $25 shipping charge. I never got an email order confirmation or receipt, but they did credit me back the shipping charge. (Edit: Now that Amazon's dropped the price, you can buy it with the accessories here and still beat Ecovacs' list price.)

Don't get snookered into paying them $20 for "expedited" 7-10 day shipping instead of the "standard" 2-4 weeks. Whether or not you fall for this upcharge, Ecovacs ships the next day from southern California.

So one star for Ecovacs, but five stars for doing a passable job of cleaning our unreachable windows. If you're not in our situation, two stars would be about right for the price and performance.

Tip - The squegee gets really dirty. Wipe it clean after each use.

Update: After a couple of weeks and a lot of dirty windows, I'm still enjoying getting those unreachable windows clean. On the normal windows, though, it probably takes longer than if I just used a squeege though.

The Ecobot has fallen twice. Didn't do more than a small scrape or two, but I advise putting something soft under it on a hard floor, just to protect the floor.

After dealing with the company a few times, I get the impression that it's just a few folks, maybe geographically distributed, keeping the wheels turning. That explains the few rough edges, but overall they're doing a pretty good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Highrise Customer, December 22, 2013
MotoGPTech (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
The 35 feet of windows which makes up a wall to my condo has never looked so good - even better than when I've used professional window cleaners ($50 per clean). 2/3rds of my windows are accessible from my balcony, the other 1/3 have no balcony. The windows without a balcony had to be cleaned by the building window cleaners (maybe once every 3 or 4 months?). Winbot successfully cleaned ALL of the windows. What's better than the professional window cleaner is the fact that Winbot can go to dangerous areas (e.g., the exterior walls to my glass balcony, feels like you're going fall over if you try to do those by hand). Even the "paid professionals" wouldn't clean the exterior balcony walls. Very happy with the Winbot. Not sure about all of these mediocre reviews. If you have huge windows like mine, and if you have to pull out professional window cleaning gear to clean them (or hire someone), then you'll be very pleased with the Winbot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but probably not a net time saver, December 5, 2013
SHORT ANSWER:
If you have normal windows, the WinBot will probably not save you any time - but it might be more fun that washing them the old fashioned way.

LONG ANSWER:
When I first got my WinBot I had trouble getting it to start cleaning. It would turn on and stick to the window just fine, but the blue "ready" light would never come on. After much experimentation, I discovered that I could remedy the problem by pre-cleaning a small area of the windows before putting the robot on. My guess is that my windows were so dirty that the robot did not feel like it had a good hold. Once it got started, it continued to clean on it's own. This may only be an issue for people with very dirty windows like me.

I also had a problem with not being able to get the robot to start when I put it on the outside of my tilt-in-to-clean windows. After experimenting again, I discovered that the robot will not start if it is on more than about a 10 degree slant. If I returned the window to the vertical position after sticking the robot on, it would start and run fine. I wish this limitation had been mentioned in the documentation.

I also discovered that the robot will not run if it is too cold- it must be at least 40F according to the documentation. Not a great instant gratification x-mas present if you live up North.

The robot also tended to leave streaks on my windows, especially where it ended the cleaning cycle.

Between having to manually clean the starting position and manually cleaning the ending position, I felt like I was doing a significant amount of the cleaning on my standard sized windows.

That said, I'd imagine that if you had huge windows (think storefront or wall-to-ceiling wall of glass), then the manual cleaning part would be small compared to what the robot did and it could be useful.

I'll probably keep using it, but mostly as a tool to help motivate rather than save time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless. Stay away from this, April 3, 2014
The "robot" stops with an error every time it touches the frame of the window. I live in a 13 floor apartment, I was hoping this would allow me to clean difficult to reach windows, but the thing stopped at an edge that was not reachable! The remote did not pair. But in any case, this window cleaner requires constant human monitoring, so it's not as start and forget like the floor cleaning robots. No support section on the web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Windows that are hard to Reach, January 12, 2014
Agree with other reviewers, if your windows are easily reachable, then give it a pass. But if you have windows that require tall ladders, moving furniture for the ladders or you are older and don't enjoy ladder work, dislike paying to have the windows cleaned, then this is the product for you. This cost me less than having my windows professionally cleaned one time. All you need do is reach a corner of your window, stick on the winbot, turn it on, wait until it finishes cleaning, it returns to the same spot, then move it to the next window. Does a great job of cleaning.

Correction: Winbot does not return to where it starts, but you can send it to where you want with the remote.

2.0 out of 5 stars Winbot is right about one thing: Winbot isn't for everyone! Exactly who it IS for remains to be seen., August 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start by saying I am NOT normally intimidated by gizmos and gadgets. In fact, I'm usually an early adopter and will dive right in to figure something out even when it isn't clear how something is supposed to be used. I test software for a living and generally we have to figure out how software is supposed to work because the developers I have worked with haven't been given the time (or simply don't take the time) to document what features they have implemented and how it is designed to use.

However, the WinBot has made me feel dumber than a box of rocks. First, the "quick start guide" and the instructions read more like the drug inserts that come with your medications or the disclaimers at the end of a commercial for the latest miracle drug: "Do not use on windows smaller than 18x24; Do not use if you have old windows or windows with imperfections" as the suction can exacerbate any issues and actually cause further damage. "Do not leave WinBot unattended". "Do not operate WinBot on windows that have recently been cleaned using Windex or other similar cleaning fluid." "Only use WinBot if the temperature is between 70 and 72 degrees on the 3rd tuesday of the month and there is a full-moon with no rain within 100 miles of said WinBot" -- ok, I made that last one up but there are SERIOUS restrictions associated with being able to use this device.

So after spending about 2 hours trying to put everything together, reading all the caveats, instructions, etc, I was ready for WinBot's maiden voyage. The cats got a big kick out of it and I had to keep them from trying to attack WinBot. The Dog was hyped because the cats were hyped... in short -- chaos ensued. (WinBot also needs to come with a disclaimer "Do not operate WinBot when small furry animals who like to hunt and attack moving targets are in the same building as WinBot".

WinBot slithered across my window and got stuck. I do not have very large windows -- they are probably about 24 inches wide -- but they are 6 feet tall that open (so 3 feet for top and bottom halves)... In short, probably on the small end for what WinBot wants. So I wound up constantly having to reposition WinBot... by the way, did I mention that WinBot is BIG and HEAVY? I'm not surprised that it has broken windows. It is actually about 9 inches by 9 inches and weighs over a kilo (2.2 pounds). I like to purchase cone yarn for knitting -- such yarn is often sold by the kilo. If I threw a kilo of yarn at my window, I'm quite sure it would break!

I quit after 2 windows after WinBot lost its suction and crashed to the ground. I did NOT want to risk it falling into one of my windows and breaking it. I have enough problems with my house without having to have to buy a new double paned glass window insert.

In the end, the WinBot really didn't do that great of a job and I wound up washing my windows afterwards to make up for the spots that WinBot ended... So on the plus side, I DO have clean windows... but only because WinBot made me clean up after it's mess.

The WinBot description and instructions clearly state "WinBot isn't for everyone!" Based on my experience and those of the other reviewers, I am kind of wondering exactly WHO it is for. If it were lighter weight and there weren't so many conditions and warnings associated, it could be useful... however, at this point, it is just too high maintenance ... and too high-priced to recommend it to anyone unless they have 400 bucks burning a whole in their pocket and want to try out the gizmo that caught so much attention from last year's CES convention.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is never getting a second chance at any of my other windows after it BROKE the first one, August 7, 2014
Orion (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This robot looked so cool, and I really wanted it to work, but it did not work and in fact the whole experience turned out to be a disaster and I am mildly stressed out about it.

Here's what happened. After reading all the instructions carefully, we placed the robot in the middle of the window. It moved indirectly to the upper left corner, where it stayed stationary for a couple of seconds, and then there was a cracking noise, and the window broke.

This is an ordinary window in an ordinary house, around 20 years old. There were no problems with the window before that I know about. I am disappointed that this technology product is getting off to such a rough start, but a window washing robot sounds really really cool to me. But sadly, it failed epically at my house.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke my window, June 1, 2014
RKB (Westmore, VT) - See all my reviews
The unit was always touchy, requiring reset quite often. It would often take resetting 4-5 times on every window. Since our house has lots of windows, some large and high, I continued to use it. That is until today. It was cleaning a lower window, an expensive Anderson insulated one, when there was a loud cracking sound and the unit fell off the window. The window was badly cracked. An expensive replacement. I can't recommend this unit. Not only is the unit expensive, the cost of replacing my window will likely exceed the unit's price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Falls from windows, January 26, 2014
I had such high hopes for the Winbot. It fell off a plate glass window on the first use and landed on my hardwood floor with a thud and a ding. Not good. It is a wonderful concept. I will try again when they improve the design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell off my window. Good thing it comes with a bungee cord, February 22, 2014
I really wanted this to work on my second floor picture window. I could live with the steaks it left, but it kept falling off the window, bouncing off of the window sill and just missed hitting the ground before the provided bungee safety cord stopped its decent. It went back the next day.