Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

• WIRED
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on November 11, 2012
Book Review: Wired by Douglas E Richards
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
Wired is a nicely paced read, starting with a hard-hitting opening scene and good, strong characterisations. The dialogue is considered and flows equally well. From start to finish the whole structure is carefully retained and it was a good, flowing, easy read.

Character Development - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
This was a great example of character building in general, though I felt the computer geek character was a little weak and seemed to spend sections of the story where he was actually surplus to requirements. Having said that, he did grow within the storyline he was afforded and fitted well with the other main characters. For the leading lady and leading man of the piece, I thought both were handled exceptionally well and made the story what it was.
The bad guy was cleverly built, and gave me the twist I wanted in the tale.

Descriptive - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
The visualisations provided by the author were excellent. Even the thought processes under "enhancement" were very well written, pulling the reader further into the detailed plots and sub-plots.
The locations were very vividly detailed and nicely built also.
I found the few combat-oriented scenes were well placed and used the characters well.

Language & Grammar - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
Very good use of general language and grammar made this a nice read. It flowed well and everything tied together nicely.
The delivery of the dialogue was good, though I felt that perhaps one or two of the secondary characters came across as a little wooden. Even so, these were characters we met in passing, and so easy to forget once the plot had moved on.

Plot - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent) - MINOR SPOILERS
I thought the basis of the plot was excellent, and the way the author twisted the characters into the storyline was both clever and inspired, making the depth of the story far more intriguing for the reader. The revelation, when it comes, is almost obvious in afterthought but I must admit, I didn't see it until it was standing over me waving hello.
The ending is carefully plotted and built to provide a `what if' moment, and offers a nice appetiser as to a potential sequel? Certainly not necessary, but what a prospect.

General - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
Perhaps fair to pick on a small amount of dialogue and a character I felt a little distant from, but in the grand scheme of things, this was well worth the reading time and easily one of the better works I have picked from my TBR list recently. About half way through, I realised this was the same author who released "The Prometheus Project"children's books. Another example of excellent story-telling.
More than happy to recommend this.

4 Stars. Very good. A good read.
on July 28, 2011
I was blown away by the quality of the writing, the sophistication of the storyline, the depth of the characters, and the break-neck pace of the book. It is once of the best books I have read this summer. With WIRED, I believe that Mr. Richards will give the masters of this genre (mystery/thriller) a run for their money. The book has a little bit for everyone - cutting edge science/science fiction, a bit of philosophy about good vs evil, action galore, and even a little romance. To say the least WIRED is a thriller but it is so much more. If you love mystery/thrillers you must read this book - it is a masterpiece.

Kira, a brillant scientist, has come up with a mechanism to enhance brain functioning and also a mechanism to make immortality a possibility. However, Kira has left a trail of death and destruction in her wake (including parents, teachers, brother, and others). David Desh, formerly in Special Forces, is asked by his former Colonel to find Kira and bring her to justice. In doing so he hires Matt a top notch computer hacker. Before Desh and Matt can get to far, Kira kidnaps them to try to convince them she is innocent and that there is a conspiracy in place to get to her discoveries. Who is telling the truth and who are the good guys/bad guys-you need to read the book to find out.
1010 comments|454 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
I ordered this book because it had gotten so many outstanding reviews, and was a NY Times Best Seller, among others.

After the first few sentences, however, I wondered if I was reading the same book as those who wrote the glowing reviews. I persevered though to the end.

First, the writing got no better. In fact, it was consistently bad. Other negative reviewers have commented in detail about the poor writing style. Please see their comments. The best that I can say for it was that it reminded me of the pulp fiction writing of the 1930s and 1940s, a campy quality that wears very badly after several chapters.

Second, the characters are right out the Super Heroes and X-Men comic books and movies: super clever, super martial arts skills, super intelligence (even when not enhanced), and even cute (for the heroine) and muscular (for the hero). The heroes and heroine are 100% super good, and the villain is 100% super bad. Even when when they are not using the Magic Pill the heroine has invented, they are far above average in every respect.

Third, the Magic Pill. Newspapers and electronic media today are full of ads that claim the sellers have a wonder pill that will do miracles for your arthritic, poor memory, prostrate problems, erectile dysfunction, and (just fill in the blank for your favorite ailment). That's unfortunately the central thesis of this book. Medicine and neurology, however, are well past the polio vaccines and penicillin antibiotics that actually worked wonders. There are fewer and fewer miracle involving a Magic Pill, although its legend lives on in the popular mind. The coming wonders in neurology and psychology are going to be the product of the pooled efforts of many scientists over many years, not the product, as this books claims, of a lone "brilliant" scientist working in her spare time in her evenings for a few years. The Magic Pill featured here is no more cutting edge science than Flash Gordon was cutting edge physics. If the reader craves real cutting edge science, please read Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Future."

Fourth, The best feature of the book was its fast pace. It tends to hold your attention, if you minimize the bad writing by skipping a lot of words and paragraphs. The problem with the pace is that it strings terribly improbably events together like a long freight train. Quality science fiction often takes one or two improbably events (that maybe could happen) and weaves much more probable events around them to get an intriguing and thoughtful story. This book, however, takes a lot of improbable events and arranges them one after another. Please remember that the overall probability of a sequence of events is the multiple of each event's probability. Thus, the probability of the events at the conclusion of this book is zero.

If this book represents some of the best in today's science fiction, then the field desperately needs another Isaac Asimov or J. K. Rowling.
1414 comments|301 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
I arrived in Rome for our first visit having downloaded Wired to read in the hotel room. The premise sounded intriguing and the reviews encouraged me to buy it + the price was so right it was a no brainer. Anyway after dinner, we went back to the hotel, full from a good meanl and very tired from a long day. At around 9pm I started to read and at 5am finished it being unable to put it down. So I spend my first night in Rome reading a book and am so tired the next day that I'm barely able to enjoy any of the amazing sights. Was it worth it? Yes, absolutely. I couldn't put it down and loved every word of it. Great story, great concept, great writing and unputdownable. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Michael Rocharde, Toulouse, France
0Comment|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2011
Firstly, at 99c this is magnificent value for money. However, comparisons to Koontz are pushing it a bit. Parts of the plot are a bit thin, character development is non-existent, and there's a certain lazy "but then I woke up and it was all a dream" feeling about the way it all ties together. It also drives me a bit bonkers that the males are all referred to by their surnames, but the (only) female character always requires her silly first name. For me, it brought to mind the 'UNACO' novels which were sketched out by Alistair MacLean but completed by less talented writers - excellent bones, but not quite there. That said, it's fun, fast-paced, action-packed, and very readable - if desperately in need of a thorough proofreading.
1818 comments|353 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2011
I won't do a "book report" (quit doing those in high school about 45 years ago!), but let me just say, "Wow!". This is one great story, and can be enjoyed by all ages (well maybe from 16 on up). It is definitely fast paced, has lots of plot twists, interesting and well developed characters ... I'm amazed he is letting it go for $0.79 for the Kindle. I'll definitely look at his other books.

Thank you Mr. Richards for a great, entertaining story. I usually judge a book by its entertainment value, and this one entertained me!
on October 4, 2013
If you've seen the movie Limitless, you know the major idea of this novel. But where that was well-done, this is schlock. Most of the exposition comes through dialogue: one character tells another something that fills in the plot, the characters run to a new location, and then they talk some more. Chapter upon chapter of this reveals that the author doesn't know how to tell a story.

The science is unbelievable--it's really important, for example, that when taking a pill that alters your DNA temporarily (!) so that you are really smart, you are able to partition your brain as if it were a hard drive, so that you can carry on a conversation with those who aren't on the pill, or store secrets that can't be 'hacked.' How this is supposed to work, or why, is not explained.

It seems that whenever you take a pill, you have the power to do whatever the plot requires, quickly and easily--so that you can later tell us more absurdities that move the plot forward, before you have to run again.

I came to envy the protagonists: they got smarter as the novel went on, whereas I think I actually lost brain cells and grew dumber with increased exposure to this awful book.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2011
A non-stop thrill ride, this book will keep you turning the pages right to the end! Intelligently written, reminicient of Michael Crichtons scientific, thought-provoking approach to story-telling, you will not be disappointed. There is something for everyone in this fast-paced thriller, just be sure to clear your schedule, as you won't be able to put it down! I'll sure be looking for the movie version in the future.
on August 23, 2011
Just my two cents but I strongly recommend this book. Conceptually it is rather intriguing. I would have liked additional science on the topic included but that is a personal preference. Character development is first rate. The histories of the primary characters are tightly written with little extraneous triviality. The plot is kept advancing forward. I will definitely be looking forward to any sequel or other books by Douglas Richards. My primary complaint is that it was too short. But this novel should be able to be easily adapted to a screenplay.
on July 20, 2011
The ultimate thriller! This is an excellent book. It has more twists and turns than a mountainous road in a third world country! Mr. Richards succeeded in surprising me several times during the book. I had a hard time putting it down. While every bit a thriller, it also had a hopeful view of humanity. I disagree with the author's conclusions, but that didn't take one iota away from my enjoyment of the book. I find myself hoping for another book from him in the same vein.