Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WORX WG303.1 16-Inch Chain Saw, 3.5 HP 14.5 Amp
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 26, 2012
I recently purchased this WG303.1 saw and have already put it to good use assisting in delimbing and felling some fairly tall, large diameter trees. I have to admit that I was very surprised at how well it cuts, even when compared to my larger gas powered saw. It's also very light and well balanced, so was comfortable to use for hours at a time. The automatic oiler and tool free chain tensioner were big selling points and I like the idea of the chain brake. So far, it seems like a very well designed saw overall, at least as far as electric saws go.

I don't know if this has been an issue for anyone else, but I noticed that the oil in the small sample size container of "WORX Bar & Chain Oil" included with the saw was much thinner than the stuff I normally use for my gas powered saw and didn't think anything more about it until I went to refill the reservoir. When I refilled the saw with my regular bar and chain oil, the automatic oiler no longer worked and the chain was running bone dry. I drained the tank and refilled it with ordinary 30-weight motor oil and the automatic oiler once again began to work as it had before. The outside temps here this time of year are in the mid to upper 70's, so cold weather oil viscosity shouldn't be an issue and I can't find any documentation in the owner's manual or quick setup guide as to the required type or weight of the bar and chain oil, so I will now just have to assume it uses 30-weight. I have a Remington electric pole saw that also uses 30-weight motor oil for the bar and chain lube, but at least Remington was gracious enough to mention this in their owner's manual. Other than that little fiasco, I really have taken a liking to this saw and am very happy with it.

UPDATE: I have been using the Tanaka 700320 commercial bar and chain oil in my Worx saw. It is about the same consistency of regular 30-weight motor oil, so has been working well. Now no more problems with the chain running dry.
1111 comments|333 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2012
I hated my old gas chainsaw because I only need to use a chainsaw around my property every couple of years and every time I got it out, I had to deal with flushing the old gas, cleaning the carburetor, mixing the fuel/oil, adjusting the choke, and pulling the cord until I was worn out or it finally started. Enough said: I hated it!

This Worx 303.1 is a dream! Plug it in turn it on. Now! Next month. Next year. Awesome. On top of that, I'm actually surprised that an electric chain saw is so light and so powerful. I was expecting to have to compromise for the sake of convenience, but this is lighter and more powerful than my old craftsman gas chainsaw. The next day after buying this, I threw that old thing out, and never looked back.

I have already cut down 1 small magnolia tree, and pruned several good size ash trees, including one massive limb. This thing is amazing.

I power it from my Honda portable generator so I don't worry about long power cords, but I doubt if they're a real problem. If you are running this through a long heavy-duty extension cord, you might think about running the last 25 feet with a smaller lighter cord for easier handling.

The only negative is that it goes through chainsaw oil pretty quickly, so make sure to get another bottle.
33 comments|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
Have used standard chainsaws for years. Have an acre of largely wooded land (pine), and am frequently cutting down trees, mostly in the 10-15" range. Got tired of all the hassles with small gas engines, and with my needs for cutting mainly soft wood, decided to give this electric saw a try. Was pleasantly surprised --- met my expectations.

Compared with my small Poulan 16" gas saw, which is about the same size and weight:
PROS
- Much lower maintenance.
- Adequate power, though less than gas.
- Chain stops quickly when power is removed; virtually instantaneous when chain brake engaged.
- Automatic chain tightener works well. Seldom need to manually adjust, and very easy to do so without tools when needed.
- Tool-less removal and reattachment of chain cover.
- Much less vibration than a gas saw. My hands start feeling tingly after 15 minutes with the gas saw, never with the electric.
- Significantly quieter than a gas saw, although no chain saw is particularly quiet when it is cutting.

CONS
- Motor sticks out the the left farther than with my 16" bar gas chainsaw. Makes some flush cuts more challenging.
- Chain binds quicker. Although I'm careful to avoid binding, can never completely eliminate it. When chain *starts* to bind with the gas saw, can generally keep the chain moving and remove the saw easily. Need to be much more careful with the electric saw. Contrary to what several others have said, the electric motor is less powerful than the comparable gas. However, drawing 15 amps is a good compromise between convenience and power.
- Safety shutoff (chain brake) activates a little too frequently; not much room between it and the top handle.
- When sharpening, can't just move the chain like I do with gas saws. Have to connect power and reposition the chain.
- Obviously need to be careful of cord, but I don't find this much of a hindrance.

I am careful to keep the chain sharp, and it then works great even for bucking up wood. Easy to do with the proper rat-tail file and a simple, inexpensive guide. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes. I think not keeping the chain saw sharp is probably the biggest mistake most users make --- heats up chain, can easily take twice as long or more to make a cut, impatience makes people do dumb things.

I am also careful to not use the saw for more than 20 minutes of reasonably continuous use at a time, and then typically let it cool down for at least 10-15 minutes. Probably a good idea to clear brush, check oil, reposition the cord if necessary, and take a break after this much use anyway. I also use a 12 gauge 100 foot cord. Even though 14 gauge should be adequate, when dragging around the cord the 12-gauge will take more abuse. Have never noticed any warming of the cord. Although I don't use more than 100 feet of cord, using my gas saws for farther cuts, I suspect one could safely run with 200 feet of 12-gauge cord.
55 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2012
This saw paid for itself the first weekend we had it! We had 2 very tall elms topped and dropped in our backyard by a professional. We were going to cut them up and set them aside for firewood. I was amazed at how well this electric saw went through even the largest pieces. There's no messing with chain tension and the automatic oil lubrication works well. I bought a gallon of chain oil before we started this project. My wife can use it as easily as me. I had a Remington electric previously and it did a decent job but required a lot of attention to the chain tension and it didn't have the power of the WORX saw. We definitely recommend this saw!
0Comment|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2013
I used the saw once and was very pleased with the power of the saw. Then I left the saw on a shelf in a normal horizontal position and when I came back to it a few weeks later there was a big puddle of oil on the shelf. I contacted Worx to have the warranty replace whatever needed to be replaced and they said "There is nothing wrong with the saw". I said that there is no way the saw is designed to leak a puddle of oil every time you store it. The rep said that it is normal for for this saw. So either this in a terrible design flaw or a flaw in their warranty representatives. Either way I have a shelf covered in oil and no way to fix the problem for future uses.
88 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2013
We picked up the Makita UC3530A Commercial Grade 14-Inch 15 amp Electric Chain Saw with Tool-Less Blade And Chain Adjustments and it died within 3 hours - oil pump failed.

So, we picked up a Worx at our neighborhood toolbox, fingers crossed, . . . didn't really think it would be that good. Doesn't have the nice design of the Makita and is louder, but it has helped us remove ~30 trees -- still have to break some of them totally down. However, this thing has cut it's bar length without any issues at all!!!!

All in all it actually blew us away - there's no reason to get a gasser. And yes, I have lots of experience with chainsaws.

The KEY. . . keep the chain very sharp. When you notice that you have to put more effort on the chainsaw to get it to cut, you need to sharpen the chain! Or replace the chains for ~$9 ;)

The funny thing is, when looking for an electric chainsaw the guy at HD's tool rental said the Makita (they rent it there) would be good for "branches" up to about 2" in diameter -- clearly he never used one of these things. They'll easily cut their bar length when the chain is sharp. . . some effort when it's not ;)

If you are cutting within the length of a heavy duty extension cord I don't see any reason whatsoever to mess with a gasser over this -- it will get the job done, from our experience.
on October 6, 2014
This is a great light duty chainsaw. I decided to buy an electric chainsaw because of the hassles involved with a gas operated chainsaw. This particular model was highly rated by Consumer Reports. All you do is put bar and chain lubricating oil into the reservoir, plug it in, and you are ready to go. It cut down a 14 inch tree easily.

Two points:

Other reviewers have mentioned that the chain saw seems to need a lower viscosity bar and chain oil than usual. The owners manual made no mention of this, so I used regular bar and chain oil. Although the oil reservoir did slowly empty as I used the saw, and the saw seemed to work well, the bar and chain felt dry. I called Worx customer support (no waiting on hold!) and they confirmed that the saw should be used with winter weight (thinner/lower viscosity) bar and chain oil. I couldn't find any at my local hardware store, but of course there is some available here on Amazon.

Also, the owner's manual states that the saw should be used with an extension cord with a minimum diameter of 14AWG (American Wire Gauge). Which means the cord should be gauge 14 or lower (12, 10, etc. - the lower the number, the thicker the wire). The saw draws 14.5 amps maximum (which is close to the 15 amps of some home electrical circuits). I used an extension cord rated at 10 amps, and a friend with a great deal of knowledge about electrical issues told me that the saw received the amps it required, but that the cord was passing more electricity than it is designed to do safely. He says the issue with an undersized cord is that it may overheat and potentially melt or start a fire.

Also, it is not mentioned in the owner's manual, but to remove the motor housing/cover to get at the drive sprocket and get a chain back in place, you just keep unscrewing the large tensioning knob until the cover comes off. New chains tend to stretch a bit when first used, so tighten the knob every few minutes when using a new chain (I forgot to do this, and that's why my chain came off of the bar - very easy to put back on once you know how to get the cover off).

I'm very pleased with this saw. I don't give every review 1 or 5 stars, but as long as you keep in mind the issues I mentioned above, this product deserves 5 stars.
on May 24, 2015
Works excellently. The auto chain lubricator worked flawlessly. I had to adjust the bar/chain tension twice during a 4 hour job. I had to refill the oil around 4-5 times. I had previously tried the 50.00 Remington electric corded chainsaw (which pinched and got ruined on me within the first minute of me using it.) This chainsaw exceeded my expectations and more. If you are doubtful about the power and capability of an electric chainsaw, please let this be the one to destroy all of your preconceptions. I used his to cut the branch of a big tree (about 16-20 inches in diameter.) The branch I had to cut was about 8 inches in diameter at its biggest.
review image review image
on January 6, 2013
This chain saw I was very skeptical to purchase. I have always stayed away from electric power tools when a gas option is available. Gas usually provides more versatility and better torque. But the price on this and the fact that I will only be using it a couple times a year at best made this chain saw the best option for me. Less maintenance as others have noted. Don't have to deal with cleaning carbs or gas going bad.

I am more then pleased with it's function. I pulled it out of the box. Read the instructions and went to work. The saw does use the lube fast and when it runs low you know instantly in how the saw performs. So you know fast that you need to add oil if you haven't been keeping an eye on it. It will not want to cut. Also the tension on the saw needs to be maintained. I found that after 4 or five cuts you had to adjust the chain. But on this saw that simply means lossen the tensioner with about 3 or four turns and then tighten it back up. Takes about 10 seconds. If you keep oil in it and keep the an eye on the blade tension, this thing is a beast!

Only thing that stumped me was the oil it came with was 1/4 full and didn't even fill the saw so I had to purchase more. Otherwise, I am very pleased with it's function. I will be putting it through more work but it already took a full size tree down without issues.
on October 23, 2012
I got the WG304 18" saw. The saw cuts very well when new but won't last long. This is because the chain/bar oiler does not get any oil to the chain. All chain saws have metal to metal contact between the bar and chain so need adequate oil to lessen wear. Worx (after two weeks of trying to get a response from them) says this is "by design", that "this saw doesn't need as much oil as other saws", that the oil can be applied manually using an oil can, and therefore their warranty does not apply.
Update:
It has taken another five weeks - Worx has finally made good on their warranty. The new saw appears to be working correctly if you only use a special, very low viscosity chain/bar oil.
1414 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse