Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

TOP 50 REVIEWERon May 18, 2011
Bottom line: while the new Toro model (the one with the larger wheels) is better at moving snow, the Worx is no slouch and is a better value. Snow Joe just didn't cut it for me.

I grew up in Western New York, so I'm not a stranger to having to deal with a lot of snow. But, while a big, hulking snowblower got a lot of use there, it's not something that really is worth the expense and storage space now that I live in Virginia. An electric seemed like a good idea, so I spent some time trying out differed models.

For the winter of 08/09 I tried a Snow Joe. Liked the price and the specs on paper seemed pretty good. But performance was horrible. Rather, I should say performance was fine for the brief time it worked -- Joe lasted all of 30 minutes before dying from a cracked auger shaft. Impossible to get anyone at the company to provide me with info on a repair. Fortunately, it was bought with an American Express card and they stepped in and gave me my money back (they have a warranty/replacement type benefit). So long Joe.

(As an aside, it seems Snow Joe has a new model out that is getting decent reviews. So no one should completely dismiss Joe from my bad experience).

For this past winter I got the Worx mainly because of my positive past experience with their chain saw and blower/vac. A friend who lives several houses down got the new Toro model (the one with the bigger wheels). Being guys, we of course had to compete to see whose was the best. Mother Nature was kind enough to give us way too many opportunities to try them out.

Both are pretty easy to put together, but the Toro has better instructions. On the other hand, I really like the cam bolts that the Worx uses. Takes a few minutes to figure them out, but if installed correctly they allow you to loosen and fold the handle for storage without any tools. Flipping the cam when the handle is extended ensures everything stays tight regardless of the amount of bouncing around it gets on the pavement.

Both have grips that are comfortable and safety switches that can be used with gloves on.

Both also deal with the rarely seen fluffy snow like a champ. But, what we normally get in VA is the wet, heavy stuff. That's a bit more challenging. I didn't notice any difference between the Toro and the Worx with snows of up to 6 inches. Once you pass the 6 inch level, the Toro started to have the edge - threw it further and didn't bog down as much. At the 10 inch level the Toro really pulled ahead. The Worx got the job done, but the Toro was faster, threw further, and never clogged. The Worx is rated for 9 inches max; the Toro is rated for 12 inches. Both can tackle deeper snows if you take it slow.

But there are some key advantages to the Worx. It has a 13 amp motor versus a 15 amp in the Toro. While more is usually better, I ended up tripping the breaker twice with the Toro, since the only circuit I have outdoors is a 15 amp. The Worx is also more forgiving when it comes to an extension cord. A 12 gauge is best at the 100 foot length, but you can get by with a 14 gauge. With the Toro, you absolutely must have a 12 gauge that is rated for 15 amps.

I found the Worx easier to fold and store than the Toro. Takes up less room as well.

The Worx also has a metal auger that has rubber tips/scrapers. The Toro has an all-plastic auger. But, while the metal seems like it would last longer (the rubber tips are replaceable), the Toro design is more clog resistant. I had to spray the Worx with WD40 to keep the chute from clogging (and it still did clog on me once). Didn't have to do that with the Toro, and no clogs. Since it was the same amount of snow on the same driveway, I have to assume the difference is in the Toro design.

The Worx wins out in terms of price. I happened to get it on a price dip, but even the usual Worx price is lower than the Toro.

Toro wins out with regard to replacement parts. Sooner or later you'll need a new belt or a new bottom scraper due to wear and tear. Toro seems far easier to deal with than Worx to get parts - there are Toro dealers in my area, and I've seen Toro parts from online vendors (including Amazon). No one seems to carry Worx parts, so replacements will need to be ordered directly from the company, which can be tedious and expensive.

So, if you absolutely want to get the most powerful, most capable electric snowblower, you'll want the Toro. But, the Worx offers a great blend of features at a lower cost, and the 13 amp motor is easier to deal with than the 15 amp on the Toro (unless you have a 20 amp outdoor circuit). Both are 5-star products, but I'm glad I went with the Worx.

Now, if it never snowed again to the extent that I have to use the Worx, I'd be one very, very happy camper!

PS: Regardless of which one you get, some tips that apply to both are:

1. Get a cold-flexible extension cord (the blue ones). You'll appreciate how easier it is to maneuver when the temperature really dips down.

2. Make sure your extension cord is suitable for the amperage of the model you use. 12 gauge is always a good bet, but be sure it can carry 15 amps if you get the Toro.

3. When you're done using the snowblower, bring the machine inside and let the trapped snow melt. Put down a couple of old towels and just let it defrost on its own. Once it has fully defrosted and dried out, put it back in the garage. The reason you want to do this is that water can get into the nooks and crannies, and then freeze if the snowblower is stored wet in an unheated garage. The frozen parts can put a huge strain on the belt and/or motor when you start it up again.

4. Irish Coffee makes the job much more pleasant.
review image review image
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
I just came in from clearing my drive for the second time today. This little machine is aptly named cause it works.
Time will tell if it holds up but it did a great job today. Plenty of power, easy to use and light weight. I hang it on the garage wall when I'm done.
I have a short driveway so I went with an electric snow thrower. If you have a lot of area then you probably want something bigger and not have to hassle with a power cord. But for small jobs this is the one.
It seems to be well designed and well built. I might try some of Worx other tools when I need to replace something.

OK. A little update with a video. We had somewhere between 15" and 19" of snow last night according to the local weather station so I was curious to see how this machine would handle it. I have to say I'm still impressed. I had some drifts that were twice as high as the machine, I took my time and it got the job done. I do not have a big driveway but I would still rather use the Worx than a shovel. It took just over an hour to clear everything out this morning.

I've read some of the negative reviews. I don't know, maybe you were expecting too much, maybe you put it together wrong, maybe you got a bad one or.....well even a good tool is no better than the operator.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2010
I ordered the WORX snow thrower from Amazon last Friday afternoon -- arrived Tuesday with free shipping - amazing. Was easy to put together and I went out to clear ~5" of snow, including a 4' pile left by the plow at the end of our driveway. Had to break up the pile at the end a little bit - easy - and then the WORX cut right through it and easily deposited it over the 6-7'+ piles on either side of our Minnesota driveway. First time in my life I have been disappointed when my snow removal job was done. Is a small, quiet, incredibly powerful, well-built machine. Took about one pass to get used to the cord - be careful with that. I also own a battery powered WORX lawn mower (also purchased through Amazon) - just finished its second mowing season and has been perfect - I expect this new machine will be as well. Thanks to Amazon for the incredibly speedy, free shipping.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2011
I only used it once and here's my observations:

It blows the snow fairly well. I used it right after the snowfall ended, so the snow was fluffy (4-5 inches high) and pretty easy to clean. I'll have to test it with the wet snow. Couple of times I smelled like something was burning, so I had to ease up a little bit and walk slower.

I am rather surprised this machine got so many great reviews though. It's easy to put together, but I had a head scratching moment when I saw those plastic nuts that are used to hold the handles together. I still don't understand what the point behind that idea is other than being purely cosmetic. They don't do the job and while I was blowing the snow and a little harder, the handles folded together. I went out and bought 4 butterfly nuts and now the handles feel sturdy.

Now on to a little bar that is used to turn the chute around. The bar is inserted into a pivot that in turn turns the chute. There's no way anyone who gave this product great reviews didn't experience the bar coming out of that pivot at least once while blowing the snow. By design, it won't simply hold in place. There's noting on that bar that will make it stuck inside the pivot.

The chute itself is located on top of another plastic cylinder. You're supposed to be able to turn it up and down to control the flow of the snow and the its angle. It only turns about 50 degrees and if you try turn it down more, it opens up a huge crack between the chute and the cylinder and then you have your snow blowing out of 2 places (hopefully not in your face).

Overall, I'm giving it a 3, but I'm really tempted to give it 2. It just has too many obvious design flaws.

Update (1/27/2011) Just came back from outside blowing yet another huge batch of snow (boy, is this winter ever going to end?). The bar connecting to the chute came lose at least half a dozen times and there came a point when I started to pay all my attention to it. I think it's because the handles are a little lose which in turn makes the bar lose as well especially when you work the machine for couple of hours straight.
We had about 12-15 inches of snow this time and of course the machine isn't design to handle snow this deep. I had to shave off the top 5 inches or so with the shovel and then it worked fine. The snow was wet and heavy so it was kind of hard to push the blower through it. It throws the snow pretty far which is great. It never gave me any hiccups and it cleans the snow to the bare bone. I just wish the designers spent a little more time on the actual design.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2011
Bought this just before the recent blizzard conditions in NYC that left us with 3ft drifts around the car and against the garden walls on the sidewalk (we have an end house). Consequently, for the first time out of the box I thought this might be asking a little too much of this unit. I couldn't have been more wrong!

It does take a little bit of care to not try and make it do too much at one time, but you can either take out the bottom of the snow and let the rest fall down or tip the machine backwards a little and take the higher stuff first - either way the machine deals with it well. There is simply no way I would have wanted or even been capable of digging out the snow with a shovel but with this snow blower it took very little effort - slightly more than a traditional hand push lawnmower.

As it was going so well, I ended up going 4 houses down of my neighbors and clearing their sidewalk also.

It easily shoots fresh snow at least 20ft. More than enough to get it well out of the way of where you need to clear.

If you don't have a long outdoor insulated extension cable then make sure you get one. Trying to work with a shorter cable, while making it easier to keep away from the machine, ends up with you popping the cable off at the machine end. In fact, that would be my only criticism of this, that it is easy to unplug the cable at the blower end. Some sort of locking catch or strap would be a nice addition.

That small thing is no way big enough to mark this item down though. I have no problem recommending anyone to buy this.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2010
For a small electric snowblower, the WORX WG650 18-Inch 13 Amp Electric Snow Thrower employs a large ejection opening, which greatly helps but does not totally prevent, clogging of slushy snow. It is light weight and throws snow an adequate distance. I have had experience with three other brands and this seems the best of the four.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2011
Another Update :) : Used it today (1/27/2011 - Long Island storm: wet, icy on the bottom and power on top. 12" of snow). It worked great! Because the snow was higher than the 10" intake, I had to make two passes, like vaccuming. This wasn't a big deal because I usually do 2 passes anyway, to get the little left over. Despite the heavy snow, it still threw the snow far, didn't notice much of a difference from the medium/light snow. I even helped a neighbor (who usually gets help from another neighbor with a gas thrower) and he was very impressed. I started by apolizing that it was electric and probably not that powerful, but he said any help is better than nothing. Then he saw it at work and he said it was as good as the gas blower...if not better. Than he said "$250! are you kidding me, I'm getting one!". Don't get me wrong, there's still work to be done, but this machine totally saves your back!

Quick upate: I got a replacement and I think the origninal rod was defective, as the new one has welding spots that the origninal did not have. I also think I installed/assembled the crank rod incorrectly. You need to fully assemble the rod and fully insert it into the chute BEFORE attaching it to the middle bar. I've noticed some discrepancies on the throwing power/distance. Other then the obvious differences in snow weight, I also noticed that there's a big difference between aiming the snow straight ahead versus 90 degrees to the left or right. Straight ahead gives you very good throwing distance, like 30'. To the left/right and you get about half that. I still love this machine, especially at the end of the driveway.

Right off the bat, you have to make sure you're getting this blower for the right application. Because it's electric (i.e. extension cord following you around), you need to make sure your clearing needs don't have you going all over the place. For instance, my needs were just my front walkway and driveway. It's in the front and not a lot of landscaping to navigate through. Once you've made this determination and know that your clearing needs can be handled with electric (or gas), then all the comparisons, quality and considerations come into play.

Okay, so now I've figured out that I'm an electric candidate, now the pros and cons of ELECTRIC, not necessarily this model...which my guess is most of you reading this already know (so I won't go through them all).

Pros - easily stored (light and small enough to be hung on wall
- no maintenance (oil, gas, tune ups, etc)
- no need to store gas all winter long
- hundreds less than gas
- lightweight, so it's maneuverable

Cons - extension cord limits where you can go (for example, I couldn't just stroll next door to help my neighbor)
- can't have a lot of landscape to navigate, the cord will annoy you way too much
- costly heavy duty extension cord needed ($50-$100 in most cases)
- usually not self-propelled
- (Most people put lack of power here, but I'm NOT going to, as it appears technology has caught up a bit)

Okay, why I choose this model:
Simply put, I bought this one because of the reviews. All had 5 stars. I couldn't find a bad review...although there were only 20 reviews in total that I could find. That's it. All the electric blowers had the same specs and features, for the most part.

Now the review on the product itself:
I'll give you the bad, first. You have to be careful of the plastic deflector (piece that directs the snow). If you run over a hard item (like a small rock), you'll break the deflector (*note, if you use less of a right angle, the object won't hit the deflector with as much force and you may be okay). Also, I've read in a few places that you can reinforce the deflector with aluminum sheet metal. The rod that spins the deflector in 180 degrees broke the first day. It does take some time getting use to the extension cord. It's like vacuuming, except you really don't want to use one hand on the snow blower (although you can, because it's light). That's it for the bad.

And now for the good. It's is powerful and relatively quiet. It throws the snow (medium weight) very least 20'. It feels sturdy (other than the parts mentioned above). I've used it on 3" of fresh snow and it had no problems and threw the snow very far, over 3 car widths (aided by a little wind). If you have a flat surface, it will get right down to the surface (especially if you tilt it forward a little). My driveway is a little wavy, so there were bits of snow left in the valleys, but not too bad. The chute rotation worked great, until it broke. Like the others mentioned, because the blower is light weight, you can put it on top of a mound of snow and let it do its' work. It also did a great job at the end the driveway were the town plows dumped a bit of snow.

Final words:
This is my first snow blower, so I really can't compare it to anything. I've always been reluctant to buy one because it didn't seem worth it for the number of times it snows more than a few inches in my area (Long Island, NY). But for $229, I thought it would be worth a try. I'm happy I did. It wouldn't have totally cleared the 24" of snow we got a week ago (might of), but it sure would've helped. If I had it to help at the end of the driveway alone, I would've been happy. Definitely worth a shot if your environment/application lends to it.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
Assembly of the WORX WG650 snow thrower took 15 minutes with the pair of tools supplied. It easily handled six inches of new snow, powder atop a sticky layer that makes shoveling an ordeal. The machine cleared 120 feet of driveway--partly two cars wide--plus paths in one hour. Beyond being easy, it was fun. The conveniently located directional controls work well. Concern that the electric cord would be problematic was unfounded: The handling suggestions in the manual made the cord no issue at all--as easy as maneuvering a vacuum cleaner. What a purchase! I was nuts not to have gotten one of these sooner.

Several reviewers complained about the poor design or function of the chute crank bar. Nonsense. An insert in the manual warns and illustrates how to properly assemble the handle bar so the the chute crank mounts and functions correctly. The adjustment works very well indeed. The manufacturer would do well to place a "THIS IS UPSIDE DOWN" sticker on the middle section of the handle bar to aid cretins.

Follow-up: And it gets better. A late January storm left 8-10" of heavy snow, the capacity of the machine's maw. Having practiced, clearing a long driveway took only 30 minutes, less time than spent tidying up with a shovel. This is life-changing because spending three or four hours shoveling spoils the appeal of playing in the snow afterward. After using the snow-thrower, I joined friends for hours of snowshoeing. Winter looks so good that I am eager for the next snowfall.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2012
I know product reviews can be extremely helpful in making your purchase yet at the same time confusing how the same product can get a four or five star review by one owner and a one or two star by another. Well, i hope this review can help with your purchase decision. Please note this review is only related to the build quality and assembly as i have yet to actually use this for its intended application, removing snow. Even though i cant attest to how well this removes snow the quality and engineering of this item leads me to believe it will do exactly what it is supposed to. First the assembly, this blower is basically pre-assembled. You have to open the box and remove the pieces. This will probably take the most time. Yes assembly is THAT simple. Read over the instructions, look at the pictures, two pieces to the handle and two pieces for the "crank". The only thing that is not apparent is the eye bolt must be on the top side of the crossbar. That's it, its actually kinda fun to put together. Now the most important bit of info i can give. This machine is SOLID. It is by no means made for commercial use but as far as homeowner level it is probably as good as it gets for an electric unit. The plastic is not used because it is cheap. It is built to be user friendly and lightweight. It's engineering is very basic. This is smart as there are very few "gadget" type parts to break. Why the haters? I expect they don't know what to expect and once they see the plastic body they assume "cheap construction" or they put the handle on upside down causing erratic operation and inevitable failure. Even the best, most expensive tools on the market are no longer made of metal. It's all about getting the job done right with as little effort as possible.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse