Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Color: TCS|Size: 29x2.5-Inch|Change
Price:$31.45 - $50.75

on May 7, 2012
I replaced Panaracer Fires that I had been using for several years with this Weirwolf 2.3. I immediately noticed better front grip and a better turning arc while I still had a Panaracer fire in the rear. So, I say to myself, if it works well up front maybe I will put one on the rear too. So I did (a 2.1) and I am not sure it is the best combination.

Other reviews say the tire is a little strange when you lean it hard into a turn first slipping a little and then biting well. I have not gotten past the squirreley feeling to get to the grip. It is very unsettling and while I did not notice it with the Panaracer in the rear, I do now. I rode an exposed side hill single track over the weekend and there were moments I was not comfortable with the grip.

The tire rolls great and is just as fast and the tires they replaced and I notice that climbing is better but that just may be due to the 2.3 replacing a 2.1 on the front. No tendency to "scritch" while climbing on the rear.

I am going to give the combination a solid try before I change anything again... maybe I am just uncomfortable with change.
on March 20, 2013
I'll be honest, I haven't ridden anything but WTB tires, and most of what I've owned have been Weirwolf tires. I ride the 2.3 in front year round, and I have no complaints. Most of what I ride is hard-pack single track and fire road, with the occasional down hill session. Ive never come across a switchback, or a root structure this tire could't handle. It's a fast roller that shed mud and water really well, and it isn't bad on the road. If you need a year round tire that will handle most anything you throw at it, then here you go.
on May 25, 2015
Bought these for my husband for his new mountain bike. He really likes the stability of the tires and how much traction they provide as well.

After a few months the tread on the tires is still great and the grip is still really good.
on February 18, 2013
Was immediately impressed at this tires grip while climbing. First time I was out, I was a fan. A little more rolling resistance than my Geax AKA but way better on the hills and tight turns at speed. Hope wear is descent but only time will tell.

Update - wear seems perfectly acceptable on this tire. Better then the AKA for sure. I am generally impressed. Note that some of the reviews that talk about slipping in turns may refer to older tread design. The current version has an extra set of knobs that help keep traction consistent. I do not wreck trails in our area by riding in excessive mud so no real comment on shedding the gunk.
on July 13, 2011
This tire is a great all around mountain tire. It allows for confidence into corners and grips on the climbs as well. You may notice a slight slip, but this is easily corrected with a tighter lean into corners. After checking out WTB's website, they designed the tire to slip on purpose to prove that the side nobs can be trusted. The new DNA rubber is also very sticky. The downside to them is that they are a little on the heavy side. All in all, if you like fast, confident cornering and you are a heavy rider, this tire is a good choice.
on August 25, 2013
Sizing is inaccurate, I have 2.1s on now and mounted a 2.3, then compared the two with my caliper and I can't measure a difference. No complaints about the tires as I have ridden them for 3 years straight, they are great on every kind of terrain.
on June 1, 2013
I got a pair of 2.1's for my Avalanche awhile ago.

Yes the bead is extremely tight and they are hard to put on, but I was able to do so with a couple metal tire levers. It wasn't too terrible, but if you're someone who needs to switch out tires frequently it could be a hassle.

I will also agree that these tires get clogged with mud quite easily. It's incredibly annoying. However, when they are clean and the trails are dry, you will get excellent traction.

I've used these tires for a few months of daily riding and they aren't showing any signs of wear yet. I'm a fan of WTB tires and seats.
on February 16, 2015
I loved these tires for dry dirt/rock trail riding. They gummed up a bit in thick mud and snow and they throw pebbles a bit more than I was used to. I just ride for fun and cardio; I'm not a super stud racer or anything like that. Unfortunately, I won't be able to comment on longevity. My ride was stolen. So somewhere out there, I'm sure there's a happy thief riding on my spiffy Weirwolfs. From what I rode on these tires, I enjoyed them very much.
on October 30, 2015
So far so good, only been riding them for about three weeks. Running them front and back on my Trek hardtail. Not worried about weight or rolling, I don't notice any difference from my previous set up of Velociiraptor up front and Panacer Smoke in back. I ride in New England and it grips great. I've had it out in the rain and in dry conditions over rocks and roots. Corners well and haven't had any front tire washouts.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2016
Not enough trail miles to rate it for various conditions yet, but just want to rate so you know...

The 26x2.3 Comp at 35 PSI on a wider rim (old Sun Singlewide) measures out at 2.205 maximum tread width and 2.005" casing width. Unlike other tread patterns though, that 2.205 wide spot in the tread doesn't come around very often. The effective tire width is much narrower. As a general statement I would equate this tire to a 2.0 or a 2.1".

In other words, if you are looking for a wider tire, this ain't it. Otherwise, refer to other reviews with more miles/experience.