Customer Discussions > Heavy Rain - Greatest Hits forum

WTF Happened to the Cover Art?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2010 8:53:55 AM PST
H. Yi says:
Why do american publishers always screw up awesome cover art? For the longest time, the Heavy Rain original cover art was to be one of the best and my favorite cover art. Now I might have to import the game from Europe just to have the good cover art.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 9:11:46 AM PST
Rob E. says:
You need to get a life pal. Who cares about the cover art.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 9:19:39 AM PST
Jack says:
I agree, the cover art is ugly now. The original cover looked very good, but they ruined it.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 9:46:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2010 10:20:15 AM PST
Yes, it really bothers me. I always spend lot of time with the box (sleep with it, eat with it, bathe with it) than playing the actual game. The cover art is a big turn off. Even my dog is disgusted and he said he might not chew on it.

I might have to play the game instead of the box now. What is the publisher thinking? Do they expect me to put the disc in the console, spend most of the time playing the game, leave the box on the shelf just like everybody else? I am unique like snow flake and I am totally disgusted by the box art.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 10:00:09 AM PST
@Andrew: I see what you did there...

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 10:03:12 AM PST
Super says:
yea they screwed the pooch with this one

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 10:06:42 AM PST
B. Simon says:
+1 to Andrew Martin...LOL, that was pretty funny

I actually enjoy this box art more, but even if they kept the old art I could care less.

Anywho, a lot of people seem to miss the point of box art. It's supposed to convey as much about the game as possible just using pictures. And more often than not, different regions of the world reply to box art differently than other regions. I'm willing to bet all the tea in China that this game will possibly sell more copies to those who HAVEN'T heard of it. Any hardcore gamer or w/e knows what this game is and has already made a decision about purchasing it. People who don't play a lot of games will not walk into a store and see this box art and think 'Hey, what's with these people? Looks like some sort of mystery or cop drama game. I don't know....I think I'll pick up the box and read the back and see."

Contrast that with the old art of just the oragami. Some people would pick up the box regardless to check it out because it looks interesting, but I think it's a safe bet to assume MORE people would just pass over the game without giving it a second thought if they saw the old art.

I could be wrong, it's just how I see things. So take my opinion for what you will. Either way, I'm still looking forward to this game!

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 10:34:46 AM PST
Josiah says:
I like it!

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 11:18:09 AM PST
dymo34 says:
I'm sure they have tested the box art and have found the US cover to be enticing to people who don't know wtf this game is.

Do I think it's your average run of the mill cover? Yes, and I believe the EU cover is a lot more intriguing if I was browsing in a game store and knew nothing about this game. I guess I'm wrong. Boobs > than origami here in America. I guess Europe likes art more than boobs. If only the origami were boobs then that would be the EU cover.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 1:41:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 12, 2010 1:41:58 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 1:42:57 PM PST
Good point Adam. Sometimes I look at a Tiger Woods cover and I couldn't tell if it's golf or dating sim.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 2:01:29 PM PST
Bryan Rivera says:
ROFL...nice...

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 12:30:37 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
the cover art is fine, odd response

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 7:25:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2010 7:25:56 AM PST
H. Yi says:
I find it ironic that some loser, that posts to simply flame on a forum with no constructive criticism, tells me to get a life.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 7:42:23 AM PST
The box art is fine. I was actually hoping they'd change it. It was just too simple for me although I did like some things about it. The EU usually has the art I want but not this time.

Either way its not a huge deal.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 7:49:19 AM PST
I think it's hypocritical that the only comment you reply to is the one that insults you and not the ones that actually make good points that maybe, just maybe you should try to argue against to make a point...

I agree with the sarcastic comments of Andrew Martin, or rather the point he is trying to get across. The cover art really shouldn't matter. You buy the game to play the game, as long as you know how amazing this game is going to be why does the cover art matter?? Are you going to stare at it for more than 30 seconds before you take the game out to play it?? The only people the cover art should really matter to are those who don't know anything about the game and walk past it in the store wondering what it is about. For those people I think a picture of people, rather than just an origami crane, will be more effective in activating their curiosity. Though the cover that only had the origami crane on it was very intriguing, it tells you nothing of the game. Someone walking by could just think it's some crazy art game where you try to make different origami shapes in the rain! Ok, probably not, but with characters on the cover at least they get the idea that there is probably some sort of interesting story involved so they're willing to look into it more and find out some details on the game.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 7:49:24 AM PST
theold one was batter

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 8:34:43 AM PST
Millilicious says:
I liked the old cover art better, but yeah, other people who haven't read about this game would have absolutely no idea what it was about. I know I didn't have a clue what it was about when I first saw it ('Is this another one of those wacky brain puzzle games? ||blood seen|| ...Violent brain puzzle games?').

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 8:45:02 AM PST
JadedGamer says:
Box art doesn't bother me either way. I care about the game content more.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 9:16:19 AM PST
H. Yi says:
Some of you are missing the point, like Andrew Martin, whose only goal is to be as snarky as possible. So this is a reply to B. Simon and dymo34:

The original cover had a bigger origami piece with the black back drop and the red blood stain really stood out. It resonated the mystery the game was about. The original cover was what caught my eye and made me research what this new game was all about.

The newer cover art looks very generic. The characters look ghostly and the details appears washed out. You can barely even see the blood stain on the origami piece in the revised cover art. At a glance this cover looks like a cheap Silent Hill or Fatal Frame knock off. It appears to be more of a survival horror type of game than the mystery adventure type the game really is.

Everyone has their own tastes, but I do not like this new revision.

Of course cover art isn't everything. Megaman 2 is one of my all-time favorites games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 9:19:30 AM PST
H. Yi says:
I was working on a post to the people that actually said something, but I got bogged down at work and didn't get to post until now.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 10:05:21 AM PST
dymo34 says:
Exactly Huichun Yi, the EU cover is intriguing, especially b/c of the blood stain, which lets us know its not just a puzzle game and makes us want to at least check out the back of the box. This is the point of my complaint.

I want this game to succeed. Marketing is huge, you need to grab the consumer in a matter of seconds. The US box is just bland to me. Like I said before, I'm sure they have had research groups on both covers and the one they chose was most popular in the US market. In my opinion I feel as though they chose poorly.

I hope the marketing decision for this cover was the right choice and that a lot of people pick this game up, intrigued by some sort of man-ish looking chick with a wet tank top, a dude with a gun, and a stupid placement of a folded up piece of paper with water covering the blood stain. Because parents would be outraged by blood, but not boobs or guns?

Sorry, got a little upset there.

Here's to hoping this game is damn good and a smash hit no matter what the cover is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 10:45:19 AM PST
nicky says:
If you don't like the cover art, show them that! Go ahead and DON'T buy the game, then they'll rerelease it with the new cover, just for you.
Either that, or wait until someone can scan the EU cover and just print it out. How hard is that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 11:06:01 AM PST
dymo34 says:
Not the point, of at least my argument, Gehler.

Of course you can print out the box art if that makes you feel all fluffy inside.

http://www.vgboxart.com/browse/title/5502/heavy.rain/

I'm sure they will eventually have the final EU box art at some point.

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 11:46:42 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Heavy Rain - Greatest Hits
Heavy Rain - Greatest Hits by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (592)