Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 125 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 8:39:19 AM PDT
Cleosmom says:
I don't think it has to do with being helpful..its more of a way for restaurants to make more money by offering less product at the same price in the hopes that you'll purchase two or three drinks instead of just one and sharing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 8:51:44 AM PDT
Magdalen77 says:
Nope. It's a proposed law in NYC. No sugary drinks larger than 16 oz are permitted to be sold in restaurants. There are exemptions for grocery stores and the like and other exemptions if the drink contains more than 50% milk or 70% fruit juice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 9:01:57 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
If it goes through McD and burger thing management will stroke out

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 9:05:01 AM PDT
Maryam says:
Or they'll work out a way to make a profit on it. I believe that they can't limit you to more than one 16 oz. drink per visit, they just wouldn't be able to sell more than one at once. That would eliminate the free refills while it kept some people from getting more than one drink.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 10:55:44 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
On a news conference they said that you could buy multiple drinks (head desk)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 10:56:11 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
Never heard of Harcombe

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 10:58:01 AM PDT
Naomi Clark says:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/

Well worth checking out if you're interested in nutrition and health and/or losing weight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 12:38:48 PM PDT
Maryam says:
So it just means that people make more $ for the same amount of fizzy drinks. And people will pay for them.

I don't care personally, since I regard Coke and ginger ale as the premier nausea remedies in the known universe, but not actual drinks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 12:49:39 PM PDT
E. A Solinas says:
Why IS it that Coke settles your stomach? I've also recently been drinking this Mexican strawberry soda pop that is strangely soothing...

Re: paying as much for the same amount, that's usually where I start cheating. If I go to a fast food restaurant, I'll just stash a Coke in my purse and eat in the car.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 4:09:16 PM PDT
Would you like a large fries with that smaller drink? Cause everybody knows how healthy fries are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 4:14:48 PM PDT
E. A Solinas says:
In defiance of logic, people who are on diets will order fries and nothing else. I was told that by a McDonald's employee when I ordered them on a Good Friday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 4:32:16 PM PDT
J. Boyd says:
Well, if that's all you eat, of course you will lose weight.

McD med fries = 380 calories.

If you eat med. fries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner you will only have consumed 1140 calories for the entire day. Believe me, <1200 calories/day leads to serious weight loss. (Most people need approx. 2000 calories/day to maintain their weight - skinny people need fewer calories, heavy people need more.) A deficit of 3500 calories is equivalent to one pound. An ordinary person, eating only med. fries for a week will lose approx. 1.6 pounds.

Of course, fries-only diets don't provide needed nutrition and are very salty and fatty. After a week of this, our poor dieter is probably not in the best of health, and is probably really hungry and mighty sick of french fries. He probably goes to the store and buys an entire sack of cookies and 2 L of coke and consumes it all, gaining back the 1.6 pounds in one fell swoop.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 5:23:31 PM PDT
Cleosmom says:
I had heard that its a proposed law. I was just injecting that altruism may not be behind the law as much as greed is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 5:39:58 PM PDT
E. A Solinas says:
Oh, definitely. Somebody slipped somebody in local government a check.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:15:04 AM PDT
Naomi Clark says:
>>A deficit of 3500 calories is equivalent to one pound<<

True, but the body will quickly adjust to living on fewer calories and the weight loss will plateau or stop, and you have to eat even less to keep losing weight/keep the weight off. I'm so against the dietary advice handed out by the government, at least in the UK. It's founded on very shaky science.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 4:44:53 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
Not this time-I think. Bloomberg is a multibizillionaire who thinks that because he's a financial media mogul and politico he's entitled to act like the entire city's dad. This includes (but is not limited to) wrestling control of the schools from the BOE, having some of the strictest helmet laws in the country, banning cigarettes from virtually every public place, being the first city in the country to mandate calories on restaurant menus for chains of 5 or more stores, stop and frisk where 250,000 plus people were stopped and frisked for drugs (apparently with no evidence of wrong doing.) It's kind of amazing how accepting New Yorkers are of living in a nanny state. If Bloomberg continues to be mayor it'll be illegal to walk down the street eating a bag of chips or an ice creme

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:34:26 AM PDT
Maryam says:
In my childhood, we used to get flat Coke over crushed ice for nausea, and it worked better than anything else. During my first pregnancy, when I was nauseated throughout my body (trust me on this), slightly flat Coke was a true godsend. It was first concocted as a patent remedy, more or less, but no longer contains those more exotic and terrifying ingredients, like cocaine. Don't know why it works. Ginger, as in ginger ale, is also supposed to be good for the stomach. I don't think it's the carbonation, because other fairly common sodas like root beer don't appear to have the same effect.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:39:48 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
I am getting the idea some people don't like this thread

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:07:12 AM PDT
Tuesdae says:
Yeesh...this whole 'stay on topic' passive-aggressive thing is getting really, really old.

First of all, you downreppers, some of us have gotten to the point where we feel like we're part of a group of friends, and friends do chat about this and that. I, for one, have been posting here on Amazon's boards with the same group of folks for over a year now, anyhow, and I'll admit that I'm attached to these folks. I worry about them when they're sick, cheer their successes, get excited when babies are born...you know, like you do with your friends. I think you've got to give a little ground for chit-chat over nausea and cats and whatnot.

Second of all, you downreppers, although this is the most important point I'm making, try an assertive approach such as posting something like, "Gosh, we really have gotten off-topic with this whole discussion about _____ in this thread. Can we move this chat over to the off-topic board or into its own thread?" See how that works? Polite, direct, nobody gets their knickers in a knot, no anonymous downrepping hoping someone will take the hint -- whatever your hint may be.

Third of all, y'all that's the rest of us, we *are* a bit out of control with the off-topic stuff. Quite frankly, I love it that we chat about all this stuff, and I *want* to chat about all this stuff, but I can see where other folks who come looking for the snark are disappointed. I suspect we have lots of lurkers that look to us for entertainment. And, let's face it, a thread about what Anita Blake would do in any given situation has POTENTIAL!

And, WWABD in *this* situation? Well, she wouldn't be *in* this situation, because as far as I can tell, she's stuck somewhere in 1985 or so. And, if she weren't stuck in 1985 and were on the internet, I leave you with this phrase...cyber-vagic!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:21:02 AM PDT
Maryam says:
So how would Anita react to the whole "Zombie Apocalypse" trend? And I've always wondered how she would react to the people out here in the real world who claim to be vampires. Somewhere or other-I can't now remember which news site it was on-there are claims being made of finding graves of people who were supposedly being treated for vampirism. After all, there are wannabes in the ABverse, although they always have the Church of Eternal Life. Side thought about the Church: I've never had the feeling it's anywhere but St. Louis, but you wouldn't think that would be the center of a movement like that, typically, would you? Unless Malcolm is a local boy?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:41:50 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
The old Anita would be torn between rustling up Edward and Manny and shooting everything full of silver that she could possibly find and getting in touch with the ACLU and creating a civil rights group to protect the dead. The new Anita would hang out at graveyards looking for men to bond to her

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:42:27 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
How would Anita Blake react to Rock Of Ages?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:43:40 AM PDT
Boo says:
Could it be the St Louis Chapterhouse?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:44:15 AM PDT
Boo says:
The Def Leppard song?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:54:07 AM PDT
Tuesdae says:
She'd pour some sugar on Nate?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  125
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (599)