WWII theme in Wings of Desire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2007 3:36:34 PM PDT
deconstruct this! it's a plea for germans to forgive themselves, June 2, 2006
Reviewer: grew up in the 1960s

what to make of this beautifully shot, very strange movie? something is going on here but you don't know what it is, do you mr.jones? let see, angels observe and empathize with the modern german citizens of berlin. one angel falls in love and wants to be one of the said citizens. an american jewish ex-angel blesses the proceedings while making a movie about world war two and thinking about his dead german grandma (huh, how can an angel have a grandma?). the angels remember and contemplate mankind's many wars. the movie message seems to be; if angels can love us and forgive our follies (we're only human after all), why can't we love and forgive ourselves? besides, it's a new day and peter falk wished us well! seriously though, this very strange movie is some kind of attempt to come to terms with and move on from germany's nazi past. it's a plea for germans to forgive themselves and start over. of course, with the fall of the berlin wall for better or worse they have.

This person only got 7 out of 20 helpful votes & I think he should have gotten more. Though, yes, he didn't tell about the film in it's entirely, he only wanted to make that one interesting thought.

I just rented this myself. I too, wondered at the sudden WWII ravaged city ruins. They could have filmed any history period, any war, any conflict, but they chose that. The footage was great, to see the real truth, not the theatre glitz over it. Then the movie being filmed happens to be set in 1945 with the scene showing specifically the Jewish prisoners, Peter Falk meandering about the extras sitting around waiting, "... extra humans..." "Why the Jewish star was made yellow, meaning death...", etc.
I still enjoyed the film reminding you to enjoy life, it's the simple things & the moments you share with love/joy with others that are the most important. ....To not let life pass you by, go out & be a part of it, your thoughts/actions influence all those around us, etc. (The end speech by Marion.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wings of Desire [VHS]
Wings of Desire [VHS] by Bruno Ganz (VHS Tape - 2000)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (230)