Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WWIII (World War III)
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 2, 2003
KMFDM is a band whose line up is rarely consistant from one album to the next. As such there is a tendency to focus on this or that member joining or leaving the band, and how that has made, or conversely ruined the most recent release.
But let's talk about WWIII in terms of sound and atmosphere.
The immediately noticable difference between WWIII and ATTAK is the band's rediscovery of that trademark humour we assumed had tapered off after 1996's XTORT. 'Intro' particularly, is the most shameless self-referential song KMFDM recorded since 'Inane'. It might seem odd that humour should resurface amongst such serious subject matter as globalisation and the War on Terror, but wry cynicism wrapped in a cohesive concept is more than welcome. ATTAK's major weakness was that while technically dazzling, it didn't have the feel of an album constructed from a core idea. It wasn't ABOUT anything particular. In WWIII, Sascha makes a b-line for the 'axis of morons', and it is effective. The title track itself is an act of defiance; Konietzko violently frothing war on everything, from corporate dotcoms to Britney Spears. You can just about read his mind; 'while we're declaring war on things, here's MY list'. If Bush can do it, it seems, KMFDM can do it too. With some very heavy guitar.
The female vocals, care of Lucia, have improved and are best utilized in Last Things, and the backing in Stars & Stripes. Since working on her still yet to be released solo album, Lucia's singing has gained strength and lost that propensity for the interesting yet somewhat excessive falsetto and vocal acrobatics of her earlier Drill work (such as 'What You Are').
And what can be said about Raymond Watts's contribution to WWIII other than 'how can he DO that?'. Songs like Blackball give the impression that Pig has been holding out on us, and yet, it is possible Watts may have shot himself in the foot. Nonetheless, the studio sound is positively mindblowing, and should it be one third as compelling live, no fan will be disappointed. Once again, Raymond pulls his weight and then some.
Relative newcomers Steve and Joolz provide some very mean guitar throughout, and Andy's live drum over drum loops gives WWIII a kind of menace not heard from the band since ANGST.
The album is definitely not a retread of old turf, but there is a wealth of long dormant KMFDM that has been revived and assimilated into the more hi-tech noise of the Skold era. The result is hard to dislike.
on October 2, 2003
I was skeptical about buying this album. I was worried that the new KMFDM line up wouldn't work out. The new lineup for "Attak" was interesting, good (but not as good without En Esch or Shultz) but nothing amazing. And now, with the loss of another KMFDM member, Skold (loved and hated), I wasn't sure KMFDM could keep it's strength and the "ultra heavy beat". Wow, was I wrong.
"WWIII" is definitly one of the hardest rocking KMFDM albums ever. No, I'm not just sucking up to KMFDM, it really is that good. It ranks well up there with the other top KMFDM albums (Money, Angst, Nihil, Symbols) and is far greater than the later KMFDM albums. What makes it better?
-There are no bad, or "skipper", tracks on this album
-A fantastic blend of metal guitar riffs and industrial beats
-A clear and definitive point and theme to the album
-No bad vocals(like some Skold tracks)
-A cool cover
Here's a closer look at the tracks:
1. WWIII (World War Three) - beginning with a redneck "Deliverance"-like banjo/guitar it leads into a fast paced guitar riff much like "A Drug Against War". Great lyrics, not too thrilled with Lucia's vocals on the chorus. 8/10
2. From Here on Out - a Lucia song, great vocals, catchy 7/10
3. Blackball - an amazing techno intro followed by some stellar Pig vocals and great German parts added in. Standout track. 10/10
4. Jihad - obvious reference, but your average loud, political KMFDM song. Nice drums. 6/10
5. Last Things - another great Lucia song, much better than most MDFMK songs that she sings in. Another great example of the combination of industrial and rock. 7/10
6. Pity for the Pious - a slower tempo, but Watts (aka Pig) makes this song great with his bassy vocals and "dirty" feeling. 8/10
7. Stars and Stripes - fantastic song. Great combo of industrial and rock, fabulous guitar riff, and great political feeling. Standout track. 10/10
8. Bullets, Bombs & Bigotry - fast paced hard rock song, pretty good, not my favorite 7/10
9. Moron - obvious reference, very catch 8/10
10. Revenge - another great Pig song, nice guiar riff, songs heightens as it goes along. 9/10
11. Intro - extremely funny. Sascha goes around and introduces the band, with awesome lyrics and music. Best part is when he introduces himself. Supposively an "Intro" to their next (!) album. Standout track. 11/10
If you like KMFDM or any other hard rock/industrial music, BUY THIS!!!!
on September 25, 2003
I was blown apart when I heard this CD.
I really like all of KMFDM's work including the side projects MDFMK for example, its not to say that I have some dislikes, I do.
With so many contributing artists I have pretty much enjoyed every album they have done since I started following there work with the album "Money"
The "new" lineup on the album "Attak" was good but the album was not a #1 hit for me, I preferred Symbols and Nihil to it, which on those albums featured En Esch and Guenter Schulz. It was still a good album but I eagerly waited for the next....
The next album (WWIII) has completely obliterated me...I'm stunned at the raw energy and power. I rate this on my top three. If you like KMFDM or any of this style of music buy WWIII now. It is already a classic.
on September 23, 2003
I personally enjoyed last year's KMFDM comeback album "ATTAK". I thought the drum & bass influences added another dimension to the band's traditional industrial sound, not to mention sounded different for the band. I have been eagerly anticipating "World War III" for the past month or two. Like "ATTAK", I just had to buy the band's new album on the day it was released. I must admit that I miss Tim Skold's presence on the new album. I always loved it whenever he had the opportunity to sing on past albums (i.e "Anarchy", "Save Me", "Risen"). Nevertheless, his absence wasn't going to rain on my parade. When I first looked at the tracklist for "World War III", the first thing that came to my mind was our dear ol' president, especially songs like "Moron", "Pity For the Pious", and "Revenge". Totally appropo considering the current events in the past several months and certainly describes our current commander in chief IMO. Despite Tim Skold being gone, I enjoyed "World War III" immensely. I am just glad to see Lucia is back on board again for the band's new album for Sanctuary Records. And of course Sascha, Raymond, and the rest of the KMFDM gang. On my initial listen to the cd, my response was merely lukewarm but as I am listening to the cd for the second time at the office, I find myself getting more and more into the music. The tracks that did stand out for me the first time I listened to the cd are "Stars & Stripes", "Revenge", and "Intro". I especially loved "Intro" given the wicked sense of humor that KMFDM is well known for. When I threw in "WWIII" again into my PC, I started getting more into songs like "From Here On Out" and "Blackball" in particular. The overall sound on "WWIII" is certainly is a lot more tighter than on "ATTAK". I think the touring really helped the band to tighten up their sound after a brief break up. The music certainly has become more aggressive. I was not disappointed whatsoever with "WWIII". It is certainly one of the best albums of this year, and the best industrial record of 2003.
on January 11, 2004
it seems like people are really divided in their opinions on this cd. half of kmfdm fans say this cd is terrible, and the other half love it. i consider myself a kmfdm fan, and i like this cd. i think it's a great addition to any kmfdm collection. i haven't even listened to it for that long, but i like it much better than "attak" already. it's harder, faster and more focused than kmfdm's first post "mdfmk" production. the main thing that I like on this cd is the music. it's mostly agressive and heavy, just the way i like it. i like symbols (megalomaniacal!) too, and adios, and in fact i enjoy the fact that kmfdm has different sounds that are radiclly different, but the fast aggressive metal style is truly refreshing, especially in a world where music that is both heavy and intersting is dying out.
my favorite tracks on this album are: "WWIII" (the banjo intro is really cool, and the whole song is just raw energy, oh and the george W. bush samples are a nice touch), "Stars and Stripes" (i like the beat and the female vocals on this one, as well as the lyrics in general) as well as "intro" (which while many people bash, is actually a nice, funny way, to end the album, as well as the music is cool).
my biggest problems with album, and the reason it didn't get 5 stars, are the facts that I don't like any lead female vocals on kmfdm songs, and also the fact that the lyrics seem to be really cliche and repetative. i mean, it's ok to have anti-bush lyrics on a couple songs (it works with wwIII and stars and stripes) but a whole album?
anyway, i think this album is worth buying if you like hard, fast industrial metal. i do, and I think it was well worth the price.
on February 13, 2005
KMFDM remains one of the greatest musical influences to me personally, and will always hold a special, hopefully nostalgic place in my heart as being the definitive industrial outfit of all time.

That being said, however, with KMFDM's latest releases, I have been noticing a rather disappointing trend not specifically concerning the music itself, but rather my personal reaction to the band's progression. It might just be the fact that I am getting older (and I truly hope it is), but it seems to me that Sascha and Co have lost some of the proverbial steam in their industrial catastrophe of ultra-heavy, conceptual continuity! Could it be that the latest KMFDM releases have been created out of routine? Could Sascha have lost some of his rebellious youthful vigor that caused him to try and rip the system in the first place? Is he now too old and too far gone to be an integral factor in the creation of ANOTHER genre of music?

Possibly.. But so what if all of this is true? KMFDM set the standard for years... they CREATED the standard. They were who everyone else latched on to and emulated, and as far as the music industry goes, this can be said for very few artists.

In my personal opinion, KMFDM should have let it go at Adios, and although I cannot blame them for trying to keep such a great thing alive, I'm only looking out for KMFDM in saying this. Who would want the legendary name of KMFDM tarnished by substandard releases (which WW3 is thankfully not), and created with many new additions to the lineup? Like Jerry Seinfeld said, go out in a gem; and Sascha, perhaps its time to thing about creating your masterpiece.
on September 23, 2003
WWIII (World War 3) Brief Review
September 23 2003, By Forbes Morrison.
WWIII, KMFDM's 2003 Album is not what fans would have expected or imagined. This is new, never before seen or heard KMFDM. The long running band (since 1984) have constantly lost and gained band members. Their last Album "Attak" Held the line up of Sascha Konietzko (KMFDM's ring leader), Lucia Cifarelli, Raymond Watts, Tim Skold, Bill Rieflin and Joolz Hodgeson. The Album had the guests Curt Golden and Arianne Schreiber.
Tim Skold is now with Marilyn Manson. In WWIII, KMFDM pretty much joined with PIG (Raymond Watt's project) which consists of Raymond, Joolz, Andy Selway and Steve White. Bill Rieflin will be involved also.
KMFDM have been many places with their music, they have always maintained their strong Industrial power, while Incorporating Dance and Disco in Albums such as "Opium 1984" and "Symbols". Rock has always been incorporated into every KMFDM Album, but sometimes it stands out a lot more in Albums such as "XTORT". But with KMFDM's brand new release, Rock/Industrial seems to be the dominant musical taste.
The album kicks off with It's titled track "WWIII", which of course doesn't sound anything like KMFDM at first. When I was listening to this track at first, I wasn't sure whether it was WWIII or not (I first heard it on the web). But It had a KMFDM feel to it, as odd it was. I continued to listen and then there was this huge explosion which shocked me, then, before I could snap to what just happened, Hard Guitars started pumping out an Incredible force of power, and this was the hardest, fastest KMFDM I had ever heard. Sascha is lead vocals on this track, while Lucia screams out every now and again. An excellent, awesome, Inspiring opening to the Album. A 10/10.
The other songs on the Album are amazing also. There's some interesting sound effects in the song "Pity for the Pious", which of course when you hear it, you will wonder what sort of a live performance and Video Clip this song would make!
A definate get for any KMFDM fan. This is KMFDM, but different, so be warned. One awesome KMFDM album!
Overall I'd give it a 10/10 music wise, lyrics wise, I'd give it about a 7/10, only because I disagree with Swearing etc, but if that doesn't bother you, give it a 10/10!
on November 27, 2003
Another fun-filled album from KMFDM! While the songwriting can be immature at times, the music is loud, fast, heavy, and hard-pounding. Not a single track on this album is boring. ALL of the songs are great, with the exception of "Revenge," which I thought to be simply "okay." I enjoy all of KMFDM's past releases, with the exception of "Attak," but I like the new heavy metal direction that the band is taking. Absolutely scrumptious and delightful!
I'm honestly surprised that KMFDM can pull off such excellent music without En Esch & Guenter Schulz. This proves to me that while they added a nice touch, they weren't necessary catalysts for KMFDM. However, we DO have some great musicians from Pig, including our favorite Raymond Watts (I can't wait for his next release, "Pigmartyr") with his usual sick vocals, and Jules Hodgson with his superb guitar skills
If the album had better lyrics, this WOULD earn five stars. That was the major weakness of the album. WWIII is very political, but the political ramblings are very immature and whiny. Which is a disappointment, considering that their political ramblings in past albums such as Angst were extremely thought-provoking and intelligent. That, and the subject matter on this album probably won't be relevant in 5 to 10 years, as it is mainly about George W. Bush and the war in Iraq.
Nonetheless, this an incredible album that would easily blow a fuse in your speakers or headphones. Definitely the best album since Nihil! (my favorite KMFDM album.) Highly recommended.
on July 10, 2005
I've been listening to kmfdm since waaay back in the 80's and frankly, I'm wondering just a bit if you people are talking about the same band. This IS kmfdm, the humor is still there, the variety is still there and the politics have ALWAYS been there. This band has never been one of those that cranks out album after album of the same monotonous pap like most modern music, but has been in a constant state of evolution since it's inception. None of their albums have been like any other, so if you don't like this album don't give up on the band, just wait until the next one comes out.

Personally, I think it's a great album, not their best but better than most. Kmfdm is still suffering the loss of En Esch, but thankfully Skold is long gone, and is now off polluting and diluting the music of marilyn manson. It IS a very political album, with several songs being about Bush in particular and all but three being about the war in general, but it's still less political an album than, say, nihil. They seem to be using less electronics ever since adios, which I hope won't become a trend, but this album is far more energetic than anything they've done in the last ten years.
on November 6, 2005
The thing that surprises me most of these reviews is how displeased people seem to be with the ideal of how political this album is. KMFDM has been and always will be a socio-political machine, driving the masses to question authority and the social definitions of what is right and wrong. Classic songs such as Rip the System, Disobedience, Glory, and many others are the embodiment of KMFDM's political spirit, and the name of the band itself is an abbreviation of a phrase in German translated, "No Pity for the Majority." I find it more likely that they simply may not agree with KMFDM's particular view on the current global and American political environment, as many people are torn in their opinions and at this point in time, it's a very sensitive subject for many people.

As for the quality of the music itself, Sascha and Company seem to have found the edge that they lost when En Esch and Guenter had split the project, and this release is immensly powerful and is reminscient of albums such as Angst and Nihil - hence a must for any KMFDM fan.