Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WORX WX254L SD Semi-Automatic Power Screw Driver with 12 Driving Bits
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 26, 2012
This purchase was "That is awesome, got to try it!" So let me see if I can break it down. The drill:
1. Packaging good, nice and simple
2. Drill is small, not going to be a jobsite tool for sure.
3. Bits are contained as advertised, not going to lose them. (two "magazines" full of bits comes with)
4. Charging is done by plug in on both sides. Meaning the battery (as far as I can tell) is not removeable.
5. No carrying case. But the tray in the box is surprisingly heavy duty, (seriously) I may leave it in there in my tool box.
6. It does have a little LED light on the handle to illuminate a screw head.

Some things to note, this little guy is not going to replace your big dog 18volt (insert big name cordless drill). This little guy, is going to put your doll house together, hang pictures, tighten screws, little odd jobs that the big drill just gets all up in the way with and to be frank, way to powerful to do in the first place. The Worx is hefty enough though. It does not feel cheap, it does have some weight to it. The handle is a little small for my hands, but will work. The slide is heavy duty plastic and slides in and out very smooth, no sticking, nor does it feel cheap.

The RPM is way low, meaning the bit spins slow. Also there is no other speed. It will be easy to track and place on smaller projects and screws. The lock & load method is pretty awesome. You do have to manually open and rotate the cylinder inside the chamber for the desired bit (way easy). And it pops in and out super easy. I really like it so far. One other thing to note, there is no need to tighten the chuck or any of that, lock, Load & screw...lol. I dig this little thing!

Its the perfect leave in the house got to get it quick tool. The price point is good. Any higher and I wouldn't have done it. To find anything similar is difficult. After some hard use (putting togther Christmas toys!)I will definately update my review to see if it makes the 5 star! Since last year, my DeWalt crushed some delicate stuff, I had to use a manual screwdriver at 1am. Not this year!
**UPDATE**
I do like the drill and one commenter pointed out correctly that infact the drill bits do auto change: just slide back the slide all the way and it will rotate the cylinder bit to the next one. Yes ok, I missed it. Awesome point out and way awesome feature!!
66 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2012
This power screw driver is a great idea with the revolver style bit holder, but it lacks two critical features to make it truly useful.

First, it is single speed with no variability, so it is just on or off. You can't slowly start and finish tightening a screw.

Second, it has no torque limit adjustment like better quality power drivers, so it's very hard to fully tighten a screw without accidentally stripping it. This is particularly a problem when using a hex or torx bit, which will not naturally slip out when tight.

Considering the cost of this driver, both these features should have been included.

Additionally, the selection of bit sizes and types is poorly chosen. There are three different Phillips bit sizes but only one Slotted bit, which is very small. There are only two Torx bit sizes, T10 and T20, whereas a T15 is also a commonly used size. OTOH, there are two small Square bits, which are very rarely used and too small to be used as socket holders.

On the positive side, it does use a lithium-ion battery that charges quickly and will hold a charge for a long time, and it is solidly made as are all WORX products.
99 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
Just got this as a gift, and it's a blast. I had a B and D which was fine, but I lost the bit and it wasn't a common size, so I had to jam another in which was kind of wobbly. So the idea of having the bits stored internally, and to have them selected with a revolving cartridge is a big selling point for me.

Like others mentioned, though, this is NOT a heavy duty driver, nor is it variable speed. Look elsewhere if that's what you want. But if you want a screwdriver to keep in the kitchen drawer for light duty stuff like assembling toys, etc., then this works great. The rotation speed is fast enough so it doesn't take forever but slow enough so you don't lose control. Variable speed would have been nice, but for just light duty screwing this works fine, and really makes those kinds of projects fun. I can't wait to put together something which requires changing out slotted for Phillips bits back and forth (my son's play kitchen last year would have been perfect for this tool). The cartridge mechanism has a satisfying resistance, and you truly will never lose another bit again. It's such a simple concept when you see how they did it. Why did it take so long for someone to figure this out?!?!

The first thing I did was consolidate 6 of the more common bits into one cartridge. It really felt like I was loading some kind of weapon. I wish it came with a second, larger slotted bit, so I grabbed one from my tool box and it fit in and works perfectly with the cartridge mechanism. (An extra large slotted bit I had didn't fit, though). The SD also comes with a second cartridge, but that kind of defeats the point of the product in my opinion, so I just threw it (and the lesser used bits) in my junk drawer.

Can't comment on battery life yet, since I just used it on a few projects.

This has a good weight to it and feels sturdy and robust, but is otherwise pretty small. My hand slips off the handle, but I think they were going for compact here- again this is pretty light duty. Simple, clean design. The orange and black looks cool.

Summary:

Lacking options like variable speed and only suitable for light duty around-the-house tasks, but these shortcomings are more than compensated for by the fact that this things is so much fun to use AND you will never lose another bit again.
on June 6, 2013
I love my little Worx driver, don't get me wrong. I also own just about every product Worx makes.

What I love about ym Worx SD:
- Well built, not flimsy.
- Good power for small jobs.
- Keep the original box, its a great carry case.
- Battery life is great.

Why I gave it 3 stars and not 5:
- Non-removeable/replaceable battery.
- No power for big jobs, I wish it had just a tad bit more.
- Magnetically held bits sometime get pulled out the front, and they scatter all over if you drop the bit cartridge.
- Light is close to useless.
- Variable speed would be a killer feature.
- Bit cartridge only turns one way, a minor inconvenience.

But, for what I use it for, most of the time its a champ, and I wouldn't discourage buying this otherwise great tool.
on March 24, 2014
I received the WX254L three weeks ago. After the second use - which was just a few turns of screws, the light on the screwdriver that indicates charging stopped coming on. I notified Worx about this - their first response was: The unit has stopped taking a charge due to a defective battery, please return this to the merchant where you purchased it. I explained that I got it from Amazon and not the local hardware store. In the interim, I contacted Amazon, who immediately gave me a call tag for UPS and sent out a new unit instantaneously. I then receive a message from Worx telling me that they would replace the (New) unit, but I would have to pay for shipping back to them. So I have their item for less than thirty days, they admit a defect, but yet I am responsible in laying out more money to return their defect?

Amazon Fulfillment - EXCELLENT
Worx - The PITS!

I'll continue to be part of Prime, but I will no longer purchase any Worx products.
on December 16, 2015
This screwdriver works great. It basically handles like a firearm, which you can cock to change bits and press the trigger to start screwing. It has a guidelight in cause you need to work in dark corners or holes. It appears to have a couple of hours of constant use before needing to recharge the battery. The only thing I would be curious about is the amount of torque being applied. It can handle most "hand tight" things but I would be weary of any high torque applications.
on November 24, 2014
Got this for my husband and it arrived about a week ago. He has used it several times and asked me to pass on that he really seriously likes it ! You can switch the points so easy and he says it is gonna make doing some things much easier. Also says it pretty much comes with the bits he needs and right now can't see having to buy additional bits (which you can do if you want) so it comes pretty complete and ready to use. This is a really nifty tool !!! Don't hesitate!
on November 23, 2014
This is a great little tool! The quick change cartridges are easy to use and bit selection is simple. If you want different bits buy your own and put them in the cartridge! Not a bad selection already there, tho. It doesn't have variable speed or a clutch but not many of these small drivers do. It is for household, not shop, use. Don't compare it to a Dewalt tool. Has a comfortable feel in the hand that gives you great control.
on March 20, 2014
I bought this screwdriver, and I swear I don't think I will ever need another. As a woman who grew up shooting guns as well, you hold it in a pistol grip LOL! You can even shuck it back to expose a cartridge (comes with two cartridges) with additional heads for the screwdriver, you simply turn it to the one you want and then pull the top back and screw until your hearts content! Ummmm, that sounds wrong on a couple of different levels LOL!

Seriously, this is the most impressive, brilliantly designed, effective, wonderful electric screwdriver that I've ever owned. And I have owned a score of them over the years. Do your self, your wife, your husband, or anyone you know a service, and buy them this screwdriver. It will make building things or fixing things much, much easier! I'd give this product one hundred stars if I could, but five will have to suffice. It also has a flashlight on the front so you can even screw in the dark! Oh bother, I've done it again, that just sounds so wrong, especially when I'm talking about power tools LOL!
Beth Burch
on December 5, 2014
Use this at work for light duty, various lic plate changes and love the quick change ability and led light and look and feel of it. Decent torque and build quality and I've used for about a month now. One speed and lithium long life battery...it works for my needs...