Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

on January 14, 2013
I use this to test and explore painting ideas for my real-paint-on-canvas abstract art. The tablet works beautifully right out of the box. On top of that I'm using Linux Mint and not Windows or OS X. In basic Linux the buttons don't work, but there are drivers you can download (with some trouble). The way I work, I don't need the buttons, so I don't care.

I think painting software doesn't imitate real paint very well, but that's not the fault of this tablet. If you are creating digital paintings and drawings, I would highly recommend this tool.
on August 1, 2012
Upgrading from my Wacom Graphire, which I'd bought reconditioned to see whether I liked this drawing method, this Bamboo is my second Wacom tablet and I'm very pleased with it. The Bambo is a convenient size, light weight, easily portable and comes with great software. I love being able to sketch, rough my ideas out on the tablet, then catalog/view them electronically and/or print to a local store and then assemble/mount them to work up my ideas further.
on May 27, 2013
This is a great tablet for beginner-to-mid-level artists looking to go digital.

However, as many others have pointed out, the surface is a bit rough and tends to wear down nibs like crazy, as well as produce a scratchy sensation that I personally found irritating. Fixed by ordering one of the plastic covers, which has reduced wear and really helped.
on August 12, 2015
After using a teeny 4x6 Bamboo pen to do digital art for five years, I felt I deserved an upgrade. For that this doesn't disappoint.
Disclaimer: I'm an oils and traditional painter at heart, so my approach to digital art is pretty straightforward (one layer and all that)

pros: huge active area for the price, sturdy high-quality build, comes with extra nibs
cons: software is annoying

I was amazed that there exists a tablet this size for $120! The extra space is super nice for detailing, and just everything involving smooth lines and curves. Pressure sensitivity doesn't measure up to wacom's higher-end tablets, but as a heavy user of photoshop's hard round brush that isn't missed. Another feature I can't say much for is touch functionality-- maybe that's also my preference, but it's not worth the effort. Too many accidental activations and whoops, I've rotated the canvas and have to save/close/reopen the document to set it straight again. The hotkeys though are pretty nice. I find it more comfortable to hit the one-key (like i for eyedropper and b for brush) shortcuts on my keyboard, but for stuff like ctrl+s it's worth reaching for the hard button.
However, I do have to complain about the drivers a bit-- they're very ornery, requiring fresh installation every time I reboot my computer or even sometimes unplug the tablet. I just keep the pentablet.dmg on my desktop at this point! This also resets my preferences for Bamboo Dock (do not open on startup!!) so I have to deal with closing that constantly. I find the dock entirely useless, so maybe a pure driver would be better. Of course the issue is one I can probably solve more permanently if I just sit down and mess with it, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Still, this tablet meets expectations for painting, and the larger size even makes it easier to lay down sketches (usually non-touchscreen tablets can't match up to just drawing on paper), so I'm very happy. Wish I could have started on this tablet!
review image review image
on June 23, 2013
When I found out about the new touch and tilt features of the Wacom Intuos 5, I started drooling. But the price tag was, as always, immensely steep, and being new to the tablet scene, I wasn't even sure how I would take to digital art or whether the professional tablet was worth the investment. The Wacom Bamboo Create bridges the gap between their professional Intuous series and the Bamboo calligraphic tablet.

This is a full-sized tablet, complete with some of the same touch controls of the Intuos including rotate, move, and zoom. Although it only features half of the pressure sensitivity, for the amateur artist you aren't going to notice the difference. In fact, I've gotten quite a bit out of the 1024 levels of pressure just by tweaking my brush settings in Photoshop.

Of course, there are features missing. The Bamboo Create doesn't have much in the way of button customization, and with a lot of somewhat useless controls mapped to its buttons, it seems like such a frustrating waste of functionality. For instance, I would love to have mapped "undo" to a swipe motion, or even surface button of the tablet. Alas, not possible. The Create also lacks the tilt feature, which changes the brush shape on the Intuos 5 model depending on how the pen is tilted, though similar effects can be achieved by altering brush settings.

All in all this was an excellent introduction to digital tablet art and design. It has plenty of functionality to master the basic, intermediate, and even some advanced skill of digital art. And is more than suited to the amateur artist or graphic designer looking to gain an advantage and move away from the mouse.

For the price, this tablet does everything I wanted a tablet to do, and plenty of things I'm not even good enough to make it do yet, so while the Intuos has some obvious advantages, I don't see any reason to spend the extra $300. If you are new the tablet world, you can't go wrong with mastering the Wacom Bamboo Create first.
on March 29, 2013
I have been an Adesso tablet user for years as it is a cheaper tablet that does only what I need it to do and nothing more. It was my first tablet brand ever and my only up until recently.

I only bought a tablet when I started getting good at drawing on paper and wanted to transfer my line art to my computer so I could dabble in digital coloring and effects. Obviously a mouse is very hard to handle, but the Adesso was pretty cheap and manageable.

The pen for that tablet recently broke and, after years of hearing my friends and people in my online art communities boast about their expensive Bamboos, I decided to give it a try. Initially, I had come to amazon to only price, as I know most people spend upwards of four hundred dollars on their tablet and that is money I can't shell out willy-nilly. I came across the Create tablet purely by coincidence (or destiny) and, after deliberating for about three hours, I went ahead and splurged. A hundred and seventy-some-odd dollars for a Bamboo tablet and free software? Even if the tablet was basic, I figured, I could use the software for when I save enough for the serious eight hundred dollar tablet that I want.

Momentarily going back to my Adesso, I could use it as a notebook without my laptop around, so it was doubly good for school. It wasn't very sensitive, though, and it was somewhat clunky and didn't recognize pressures on the pen nib. This Bamboo has amazing sensitivity, hasn't lagged for me, yet, and automatically corrects my lines so that they're much smoother than with the other tablet.

UPSIDES

The Bamboo Create tablet has a decent amount of space to work with (almost 6" by 9"). Coming from the Adesso that had a huge amount of area to work with (10" by 12" or so), I originally thought the 6x9 to be a little small of an area. Boy was I wrong. I don't even notice a difference and, by changing the input for the pen from "pen" to "mouse," I never have to worry about running out of room even though my screen is somewhat large for a laptop (15"). The mouse is sensitive, but not overly so. You have to actually put the nib to the tablet for the pen to be read, so if you wave it over the tablet accidentally you don't have to worry about losing or messing up what work you've already done (as with my Adesso). You don't have to press very hard to "click" on an icon or link, either, so it saves the surface of your tablet from scratching.

The tablet itself is larger than I expected (about 7" by 12"), so it is very easy to handle as opposed to a small tablet. It is also very lightweight and doesn't overheat easily, so keeping it in my lap as I work is no problem. (I don't have a desk, so most of my work is done in my lap on my bed or wherever). The tablet itself has four programmable buttons, although they come with default selections. These are very easily reprogrammed and the Bamboo software points you right where you need to go if you want to change what these buttons (or even the ones on the pen) do. The tablet is light silver, not white as it appears in the photos, with a small tag at one end and a black strip (where the buttons and tablet name are) across the other end. The entire body is made of plastic that feels a bit like linen texture or C1S paper, so drawing on it feels nice and natural. The buttons are somewhat decorative. They show a texture that looks extreme when the light hits it, but is actually very subtle. I'm somewhat entranced by these when I'm thinking of my next brushstroke. Lol. The tablet is not wireless straight from the box, although a wireless adapter is available (I don't have this). The cord is a standard USB (for the computer side) to a mini-USB (tablet side). The mini-USB fits into a cut-out section behind the tablet so that it isn't jostled when the tablet is in use and being move around. Only the cord itself is exposed from the tablet, which isn't a big deal because it can be moved around. On the back there are two doors by the mini-USB port that look to be slots for extra batteries. This is a very useful feature for someone who uses their tv as a screen and can't sit close to it when working.

The work area has many useful features. It can recognize the pen or your fingers as input devices. It also recognizes one finger vs. two fingers vs. three fingers vs. four fingers. These four settings (for finger mousing) all do useful things (for me) and are easy enough to memorize. A great feature is that the pen and your fingers will never work at the same time. When the pen is close to the tablet, touch is automatically turned off (but it can also be turned off manually). For people like me who rest our hands on the surface we're drawing/writing on, this is an extremely useful feature. It means I don't have to teach myself how to use the tablet, or even teach the tablet how to react to my specific style. It just does it!

The pen is small. It isn't much bigger than some of the writing pens on the market and it is very light, so it's super easy to handle and comfortable to hold. There are two programmable buttons on the pen, although the two buttons are merged to look like one. The button cover itself is in the same spot as a thumb button on a mechanical pencil. There is also an "eraser" on the opposite side of the nib. There are also three replacement nibs and a replacement ring for your pen included in the package. Pressure sensitivity is fantastic. It really recognizes when you're pressing lightly or when you're pressing hard and, depending on the software you're using, your strokes will reflect exactly what you're doing.

Packaging itself was great. The manufacturer box for the tablet is sturdy and elegant (for a box) and is one I will be keeping my tablet in for as long as I have it. Everything fits nicely into its own spot and nothing is scraping against the tablet or pen.

**NEW**

All the software that is included is 100% free and is the entire version of Corel and Photoshop Elements. Wacom sends out an e-mail with the product keys which I found in my junk box purely by accident. So this is an extra star on their product scale.

DOWNSIDES

Nik I still have no idea about. I couldn't get it to install properly on my computer.

The work area on the tablet is not clearly marked or even sectioned off as it is with most other tablets. Instead, you are given four corner markers to show you where the corners of the work space end. This isn't a huge issue for me as I don't ever look at my tablet when I'm using it (the pointer on the screen tells you if you're there or not, so I don't see how it matters so much). The work area isn't very sturdy, and by that I mean the nibs from the input pen leave small lines as you use it. I usually get around this by using a piece of paper as a buffer between the area and the pen as this is a common issue with any tablet I've used. The marks wipe off easily enough, but I don't think constant use will make it as easy later on down the road. Also, with the body being plastic, I don't know/ want to find out how this tablet will deal with a fall or being stepped on. (I have cats, dogs and a baby tortoise and bird who all frequent my bed, so they're constantly stepping on things I have with me. I need to learn to be careful when I leave my things unattended as they seem to disappear or get trampled on pit stops).

The pen is also made of plastic, so it's probably not very sturdy for drops or angry gripping, either. This is also something I have no intention of finding out. (The one benefit of my Adesso was that I could accidentally sit on the pen, and I often did, and it was fine because it was pretty darn heavy and sturdy). Replacement pens are available, and they're not terribly expensive, though, so (once again) this isn't much of an issue for me. A lariat option for the pen would be pretty sweet, though.

The cord that attaches to the tablet isn't very long. The wireless adapter is a great option, although not one that I need at the moment as everything fits on my legs pretty well. It is also a little stiff when you first take it out, but that went away for me after fiddling with it for a minute before plugging it in. After two days, mine is flexible enough to not bother me at all.

OVERALL

An excellent quality product with (some) free software that does what I want it to, what I need it to, and beyond! I'm very impressed with this tablet and highly recommend spending the extra seventy bucks to get this over an Adesso. The price isn't too high, either. I run this on Windows VISTA without a single problem thusfar.

Performance: *****
Product quality: ****
Software: *****
Compatibility: *****
Packaging: *****
Available accessories: *****
Amazon assistance: *****

Overall: *****

If you have the chance, whether you want to dabble in art or if you're a serious artist looking to get a great tablet for a little more money than a cheap tablet, get this one.

NOTE

I don't usually pay much attention when installing software and barely read the package before starting. I suggest you read the quick start guide before doing anything as there is a certain order you should do your install in.

The "free software" that comes with it isn't included as discs, either. It is, instead, a download from Wacom's website and your serial number for those downloads are on the install disc package. I didn't realize this at first and looked everywhere before contacting amazon. Of course, being amazing as they are, amazon immediately offered me a replacement, sent me a return sticker in the mail, and already had my new tablet on its way for free Saturday delivery before I was off the phone. Luckily, I managed to get a representative to cancel the order once I found what I had missed. They are very polite when dealing with customers and the entire process (from the first call to the end of the last) took me less than ten minutes. Awesome!

I also recommend you keep the packaging and all the little plastic things that your pen/nibs/tablet/software came in unless you have somewhere safe to store them. You want to make sure you keep your tablets well protected when they're not being used since they are pretty sensitive.
on February 3, 2013
I'd like to start off by saying that this was my very first graphics tablet purchase. I have never been associated with one before purchasing the Wacom Bamboo Create Pen & Touch Tablet. Also, I have only owned this for about a month now.

I do a lot of digital designing. I was previously working with a free art program and a mouse to do my painting. It took ages to do, the shading was never right, and I always seemed frustrated with my work. After purchasing the Wacom Bamboo Create tablet, that all changed. The time to create a piece was cut in half, the shading has improved quality, etc. I am in love with how this tablet can make such gentle strokes - nothing like a mouse ever could!

Pros:
-->Makes my life so much easier as it provides amazing usage. I have improved in my digital designs immensely in the month I have owned this tablet.
-->The buttons on the left side provide quick shortcuts which makes it nice.
-->The tablet/pen are very sensitive making it easy to make light, medium, or hard strokes in seconds.
-->Very lightweight and easy to use.
-->Comes with excellent software.

Cons:
-->My first con would be a personal one, not exactly to do with the tablet itself. When I had purchased this tablet, I was aware that it was going to be larger than the Splash & Capture. However, I didn't truly realize the size until it showed up. The tablet is about as long and wide as my laptop - it is a bit awkward to hold at first. Had I been aware of its size, I may have chosen a smaller tablet. -- Be aware of the sizes if you're looking to seriously purchase a tablet ;)
-->I had read review about the USB cord being so short. I thought I could deal with it and that it would be no big deal. Please listen to the reviews - it is short, it's hard to work with *especially* since you need to have the tablet /at least/ a foot away from the computer or else it glitches. I think I may, at some point, need to get the wireless product for the tablet.
-->Another con is that when I unplug the USB from the tablet and insert it back in a while later, I have to restart my entire computer because an error comes up and said it cannot find the dock. (I have downloaded the new dock numerous times, it's no issue with that, it's a glitch with the tablet itself). This can be annoying if you plan on using your tablet as much as I have.
-->Lastly, I have owned this for a month, as mentioned before, and already the pen nubs (the tips of the pen) are wearing down. I was hoping they'd last a little longer. It is starting to wear on one side which makes little scratches on the top of the tablet. (The tablet does come with additional nubs so do not be concerned about buying extra nubs when you purchase the tablet).

Overall, this tablet has made my life so much easier. I love working with digital art as it is a relaxing hobby for me. I would indeed recommend this to friends. Had the USB not been such a frustration for me and the nubs not wearing down quite so fast, I would have rated this a 5*. Wacom has an amazing product.
on November 9, 2012
I was looking to get myself a tablet for the first time, and this one definitely caught my eye. I was a little worried by what some of the reviews here were saying, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I'm glad I did. The Bamboo Create is an excellent little tablet, and surprisingly powerful for something that's described as a "fun" tablet.

The Create sports a very elegant design that looks great in any environment. It is a matte silver color that matches the MacBook Pro line of laptops, but would also look nice alongside any other type of computer. Form may not be as important as function when it comes to a tablet, but it's nice to have a mid-price model that doesn't look like a mid-price model in a professional environment.

The Create is a lot bigger than it appears in promotional images, and certainly a lot bigger than I expected. This does mean there's a steep learning curve if you've never used a tablet before. Trying to find that "sweet spot", where you can draw naturally, will take some time and experimentation. Once you get the feel for it, however, it offers a fantastic amount of work space. I've never felt cramped using the Create, which is something I appreciate. The pen is also very nice, and despite its size, is extremely lightweight and comfortable to use. Although not ergonomically designed like the pens from the Intuos line, I haven't had any issues with using the pen even over long periods.

Setup for the Create is a breeze. The installation CD offers a menu that is friendly and so easy to follow along with that my 90 year old, computer illiterate grandmother could use it with no problems. Installation took about 5 minutes on a 2012 MacBook, and there was no pesky restart required.

So far, after about three weeks, the Create still functions perfectly. Once set up, the tablet integrates with your system smoothly. I use mine more than my MacBook's trackpad for navigating web pages and App menus. Some of the reviews have noted buggy drivers for OSX Lion and Mountain Lion, causing lag when using express keys. I'm not sure if Wacom has released a driver update or if the problem was on a case-by-case basis, but so far I haven't encountered this issue at all while using Lion. Express keys work fine and I haven't experienced any lag. Keep in mind that I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion, so the problem might still exist on that version.

The programs bundled with the Create are all pretty great. Upon installation, Bamboo Dock is installed on your system, which includes a few mini-games and programs. This is mostly bloatware and isn't amusing for more than a few minutes, but it might be worth checking out if you've never used a tablet before. It helped me get a feel for what I was doing. The real prizes in my mind are Photoshop Elements and Sketchbook Express (I haven't used any of the others). Photoshop in particular is a real gem. Although it tends to run a little sluggishly, especially if you have other programs open, it is a beast of a program. After only an hour or two of playing around and experimenting, I was seriously impressed with what I could do. Utilizing the express keys, you can use photoshop to create art or edit pictures on the tablet with an efficiency that a mouse can only dream of. Sketchbook Express is likewise impressive, recreating the feel of drawing on real paper with real tools more completely than any computer program I've used so far. It's perfect for sketching ideas while watching TV and I love it.

There are a couple issues that are mostly minor. The pen has a very short range, and you have to keep it so close to the tablet to register than it's easy to accidentally brush the surface and make an unwanted pen stroke. This is not a catastrophe by any means, but it can get frustrating. A little more range would have been nice.

Several reviews have noted that the rough surface of the tablet causes nibs to wear down, and this is true. Although the textured surface is nice and does almost feel like drawing on paper, my nib began to wear down after only three days. Wacom suggests placing a sheet of paper over the tablet to solve this problem, which I think we can all agree is downright laziness on their part. They've got the corner on the tablet market, for now, so they really have no reason to be competitive. I will say that using that sheet of paper does work, and you might as well bite the bullet and do it. I haven't experienced any more nib wear, and I actually think it makes drawing smoother. It's not an ideal solution, but it is a solution.

Overall, the Bamboo Create is a very nice tablet for a reasonable price. If you're an amateur or a student, this tablet is more than adequate for your needs, and may even continue to serve you well as a professional. Definitely give this one a spin.
on August 12, 2012
I purchased this tablet as a replacement for my old Bamboo Fun that I've had for nearly six years. Though that tablet still functions perfectly, i've been wanting a new one for some time so I finally sucked it up and bought this one. As a preface, I use this tablet primarily for photomanipulation and drawing with Photoshop CS5.5/CS6, and I am running OS X Lion.

The Tablet:

This tablet is /big/. I own a 15.4" Macbook Pro and it's nearly the same width as it (and it matches it perfectly colour-wise, which is a plus! ;D) although the workspace is about 2/3rds that size. Still, it's a much larger workspace than I was used to with my previous Bamboo, the workspace itself being the size of my entire old tablet. They speak about the design featuring a real pen-to-paper feel, and I expected the workspace to be textured to the touch, but it feels very smooth to rub your hand across. I sucked it up and bought a wireless kit to go with it and I'm glad I did, because the cord that comes with this tablet is SHORT. If you're going to be using it right in front of a laptop that may not be a problem for most, but if you're using a desktop or need to put distance between the computer and the tablet, you'll have trouble with the included cord.

Now, onto the usage of the tablet itself. It has four buttons, which, using System Preferences (I figure the Control Panel in Windows can do the same) can be programmed to do whatever you want. I use mine to cycle between programs and turn the touch feature on and off, which makes the use a lot quicker and easier. I mentioned above that the tablet feels smooth to the touch, but when you use it with the pen, it really does feel like a pen on paper. If you're used to a smooth, even surface with your tablet, that can be tough to get used to, but it's not that big of a deal. However, it wears down the pen nib extremely fast. I've used my old tablet extensively for several years and the nib is worn less than this tablet's, and I've only had this one a few weeks. It comes with 3 replacement nibs but if it lasts as long as my old tablet has, I can foresee buying new ones in the future. The pen pressure is fantastically sensitive and the on-screen response is not at all laggy for me like some people have said in their reviews.

The Touch Feature:

My previous tablet didn't have a touch feature, so I was a bit iffy about it. It frequently gets confused between whether you're trying to zoom in or rotate the canvas, which is irksome but not the end of the world. It can also be occasionally laggy. It also, thankfully, is not sensitive to your palms, so you can have the touch feature on while you're using the pen. I use it more than I thought I would, but also it's the most disappointing part of the tablet in terms of usability. If you have patience it's not a huge deal, but some might find it easier to just use Hotkeys or do it manually instead of using the touch. You also cannot draw with the touch in Photoshop, which is a shame but not that big of a deal either.

All in all, I would give this tablet 5 stars for my own usability, but the minor design flaws drop it down to an unbiased 4. I am, however, very happy with the purchase and really enjoy using this tablet.
on February 4, 2012
Well, I'm not incredibly skilled with digital art by any means, nor have I ever been. Despite that, it's always been an interest of mine. I had a small intuos 4 before, cost me 200 I believe. Long while ago. Now, this, is a medium size tablet, and the intuos 4 of the same size, is 400, if I remember rightly. Which is ridiculous! To compare this with that, I'll just say that when I had my intuos 4, I almost felt it was TOO sensitive. Which some people may see as good.. But for someone with a shaky hand and troubles creating smooth lines, it was difficult. I adore the pen that comes with this, and the buttons are just enough for me! The software you get with it is alright, I suppose. Good for the price, of course. But, I'd only use photoshop elements. Problem is, I don't know where to get the stuff that's supposed to come with this.. Because I'm pretty sure this should come with PSE and a few other things. But hmph, Idunno! Regardless, very nice for the price. The active area is a really good size.

Pros:
Affordable
Big (for me at least)
Software included (?)
Nice buttons for undo and right click and such like that
Thin
Light weight
Top of tablet feels like paper, to me, so it's a familiar feeling

Cons:
Getting used to it, but that's with any tablet like this, so I didn't mark it down for that
Short-ish cord
Can already tell nibs wear down fairly fast, but can get more for cheap, so doesn't bother me

All in all, recommend if you're looking to get into digital art and drawing and such as a beginner, or even if you're already experienced with this, it seems it'd do the job also, for a low price!