Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Tablet, Medium (PTH651)
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: Medium|Style: Medium Tablet|Change

on November 19, 2013
I went from an Intuos4 (whose USB port connectors finally snapped off) to the Pro, skipped the 5, so for me it's a good upgrade and I concur with all the positive reviews. Wacom is superior.

(NOTE: I will leave the following review as first written in November 2013, when I gave it 4 stars for the reason stated, but PLEASE SEE THE UPDATE BELOW! Wacom has finally corrected the issue)…

However, as others have mentioned, Wacom has still not addressed the issue of ill-designed USB ports and cords, the reason for my deducting one star. The little piece with the connections inside the casing is poorly affixed (I took my 4 apart and saw that the very thin copper wires were attached with tiny bits of solder to the circuit board, and that's it, nothing else held the connection piece in place), and the cord itself doesn't fit snugly, so it jiggles around, jiggling the connection piece with it.

Here's my workaround so the cord doesn't wiggle and is firmly in place (see the video, too, taken after the fact, but it will makes things clearer): I took one of the black rubber-like rings the pen came packaged in and cut out a tiny rectangular piece 3/8" x 3/16" x the thickness of the ring. With the cord plugged into the tablet, I wedged the piece under it, squeezing the thickness. It takes some doing because you have to compress the thickness and force it in little by little (I was able to use my nail). I cut a smaller piece and wedged it in to one side of the plug. The cord is now tightly in place, but it could be removed if necessary. I plan on never unplugging it, though, even when going wireless, a small compromise to ensure that the tablet will last.

UPDATE 3/7/16: One customer just wrote that, out of curiosity, he looked inside his recently purchased small Intous Pro, and found a metal piece holding the USB port in place. He included an image. So, I called Wacom to see if they have, indeed, corrected the loose USB connection problem on all of the Intuos Pro tablets now being shipped—the answer is YES! Wacom has added a metal clip on the mother board that allows for movement of the USB cord, but that secures the connecting wires. So buyers/users need no longer be concerned that the wires will break.

By the way, the fix, which actually was very quick and easy to do, is still holding strong after 2 1/2 years, and I've had no problems. I don't regret buying the Intuos Pro, because in every other way it is superior.
5555 comments|419 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2014
I've been using Wacom tablets since they were Beige and had two different cables, one for the pin port and one for the wall. I noticed a lot of first-time-tablet-user ratings so thought my two cents could be helpful. I'm upgrading from an Intuos 3 Medium, which still works great but I literally wore the surface off the tablet (in the middle, most common area) after many years of daily use. I'm a professional designer and use a Wacom every day, which is who this tablet is mostly aimed at. I don't use a mouse at all, from every day tasks to high end retouching, my right hand is pen and tablet. I skipped the 4 and 5 because the 3 was still doing just great.

PROS
* Best tablet I've used yet. If you do this even remotely for a living, 300 dollars is a small investment in your work. If you are looking to try a pen tablet and are concerned on price get the cheaper Intuos models and try it out. From a usability perspective using a pen is far more natural for your hand than a mouse, which could help with carpal tunnel/wrist strain potentially. One thing I will say is the Pro stylus is far better in size than the little pen on the base (white) Intuos tablets. I hated using that little thing and got rid of the one I had for traveling almost immediately.
* The USB cable connection issue seems to have been solved, mine snaps in just fine and stays there.
* Touch is a nice feature that I use occasionally for web browsing. It's nice how easy it is to toggle this on and off with a physical button on the tablet itself.
* Lots of nibs (and nib remover) included in the base of the pen stand. Handy they include these instead of selling you an extra $40 kit as they did in days past for something so necessary to the product.
* Pen pressure and overall working feel are great. Texture of the tablet feels right, a little more matte/toothy than the Intuos3 I used previously.
* If you care about such things, it looks and feels great. The black is slick, nice fit and finish on the tablet surface and slightly rubberized surrounding areas.

CONS
Only minor quibbles here.
* I don't use the buttons on the tablet much, never have. That's what my left hand and the keyboard are for. With their current position I sometimes lay my pen hand on them but this has never caused any issues, just a brief HUD popping up on screen.
* As other reviewers have noted, the black standard nibs seem to wear down rather quickly. I can attest to this. After only a few weeks I've already replaced one.

N/A
* I have no opinion on the wireless option since it sits on my desk and plugs in to a USB port not more than a foot away. No need to waste batteries to have one cable off your desk. I couldn't imagine using a tablet in my lap from across the room, but if that's what you do then the option is there and I'm sure their are reviews of it.
* For what it's worth I'm using a maxed out 2013 15" Macbook Pro hooked up to a Thunderbolt Display, so a lot of horsepower. Some reviewers seemed to have issues with a laggy computer, but if you use a tablet like this there's a good chance you've got a decent setup. I can't comment on any input issues, everything is smooth.
* I've never had installation or driver problems from Wacom, maybe I got lucky. Just go to the site and download it. Not sure why they even bother including CDs in the package anymore.
* Intuos Confusion - As someone who works in branding I could argue both directions on this, but it's not even remotely a dealbreaker. It's pretty clear what the Pro and Consumer (old Bamboo) differences are. Color and price for starters, but if you're new to the space I could see how this could take some digging to figure out.
* Wacom is pretty much the industry standard. I don't have any opinions on other brands of tablet personally but have heard frustrations from friends and colleagues who tried to save a few bucks on a 'knockoff' brand. I'm sure there are other decent options, but this is the flagship.
* Surface wear: Of course I can see some marks and sheen on the surface of the tablet, I drag and push a piece of plastic all over it every day. So far nothing to complain about. It's like a stainless steel sink, it's going to have scratches from doing what it's for.

All in all best tablet you can buy. I've yet to try a Cintiq for work but maybe someday. I personally like the Medium size. Small is too small for the type of work I do and I found it uncomfortable, though having not used the larger version I can't comment on that. Friends with larger tablets love them, so there's that nugget. Happy de-mousing.
22 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
I've had this tablet for about two weeks and it works for my purposes (digital re-touching). However, there are 2 issues that a potential buyer should note. First, the charging cord that connects the tablet (via USB) to your computer has a problem. The plug that goes into the tablet is a little too big & needs to be aggressively forced into place. There is a strong likelihood of damaging the tablet's port. I called Wacom's tech/customer support and received little sympathy. They would not accept the possibility that perhaps there was a manufacturing defect. I'm trying to get a replacement cord, but their interest in customer satisfaction leaves a lot to be desired. They now claim that it is supposed to fit tightly. But that's ridiculous if you can't insert the plug in the first place. Originally they wanted me to ship the entire unit back to Amazon for complete replacement. Sounds crazy to me. I'm hoping they'll cooperate with a replacement cord & my paying the shipping back to them.

Next, the nibs on the pen wear out very quickly, even with infrequent use. Be prepared.

Received email from Wacom on 10/16/13 in which she emphatically indicated that they would not replace the defective part. Only recourse is Amazon. Remember to save the shipping container from Amazon as well as the original packaging or you will have to buy a box for the Amazon return.

On 10/17/13 I received another email from Wacom stating that in view of the possible public relations blow back, they would agree to replace the cable. This email was not a courteous one (to say the least).
2424 comments|504 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2015
I am an Electrical Engineer and the problem with this product is obvious. The USB connector has no mechanical connection to the assembly, only SMT solder. This does not meet IPC PCBA standards (International Printed Circuit Board Assembly Workmanship Standards) which it should. Solder connections are meant only to be electrical connections. The manufacturer has failed to meet required IPC standards. The USB connector should also be a "High Rel" connector which is an extremely durable connector designed to perform lots of connects/disconnects without failure. The cost of a High Rel USB connector as well as making a mechanical connection to the assembly is only $3.23 more. Why this company has not done this is beyond my reasoning as it makes good business sense to do it.
I can easily replace the current USB connector with a High Rel connector as well as mechanically attach it to the assembly to prevent fatigue failure, but it won't help everyone else out there that purchases this product.
I do not recommend purchasing this product and would not purchase again unless the company makes the changes that I have stated.
33 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
I really feel Wacom is just making the lines of intuos more confusing with the latest division between "intuos" and "intuos pro" when you're trying to look for one. It will leave a lot of consumers confused since some are previously Bamboo tablets. To clarify it was an easier distinction to tell artists what was the difference between an intuos and bamboo. One line is for professionals and one is more for the hobbyists, simply by name. Now they essentially co-mingled the lines, making it a nightmare for people who, like me often have to spend their time explaining what's the difference, troubleshooting for the artist community and basing recommendations off each person's situation. Thanks Wacom for making this more difficult.

Would you like telling people "did you get the RIGHT kind of intuos" and spend more time explaining the difference, vs explaining that the easy naming convention denotes the age of the model.

So what is the difference between an intuos 5 and intuos pro?

The buttons have been revamped to make them easier to press, they're no longer rubber but plastic. In fact this makes the touch ring better, because it was very hard to press due to the touch sensitivity. Now the center button is separate from the ring, so it stops registering the press incorrectly.
The wireless kit has been added to the tablet, where the 5 you had to purchase this separately.

And, that's pretty much it. The pen is the same, I would have liked to see them make the pen more like the Cintiq 13HD since it's probably the best pen that's come out so far. The technology is the same.

With the intuos 5 model Wacom Intuos5 Touch Medium Pen Tablet (PTH650) I have left an even more detailed review. It seems that they're finally getting hang of the drivers which plagued the models early on. I guess to make it seem like it wasn't such a problem they change the buttons a bit and call this one the Pro.
I can guarantee you that if they hadn't had this time to fix the driver problems - the reviews would be the same as the early ones for the 5.

All the other problems remain and some ways worse. The cable is worse on these models than the 5. Since I owned an intuos 5, a year later the USB port died because of bad cables messing up the tablet and I had to send back to Wacom for repair. So buyers be warned, this problem is not fixed.

That being said, the build quality is still good itself. Nice design and solid, but you may be plagued with repairs and being tablet-less (during the time it is being repaired) if they don't fix the USB issues.

I also really hope that Wacom isn't delivering terrible customer service, like the ones I'm reading in some of these reviews with problems because I usually try telling consumers that Wacom has good support and will help you out. If you have people in your service giving customers dismissive tones and rude responses, shame on you.
1313 comments|249 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2014
I spent a lot of time agonizing over this decision. I am a professional photographer, and after several years, I decided it might be best to upgrade from the Bamboo tablet, which I had been using. I loved my Bamboo tablet, and remembered how amazed I was when I first got it at its ease of use. Editing pics was so much easier and more enjoyable (if you make complex selections, a tablet is a must). Let me be clear that the Bamboo was perfectly capable of doing everything I do with the new Intuos Pro. The Intuos Pro just makes it faster and easier. As such, I didn't NEED to upgrade, but I really wanted to! The buttons can be programed to do almost anything, and you can even program them to act differently in different programs! The wheel makes both zooming in, and changing brush sizes, a snap. I can do everything seamlessly now (I don't have to take my hand away from the tablet to hit the bracket keys anymore!) Yes the upgrade was a desire, not a need. That said, I have had the tablet for several months now and haven't experienced a moment of buyer's regret!
After making the decision to upgrade, the thing I struggled with the most, was tablet size. Now, I understand that what size you want really depends on what type of work you are doing. I can't draw to save my life, and only use the tablet for Photo Editing (sometimes I use Painter to add effects, so I guess I do some simple brush strokes, but its a rare occurrence). As such, I couldn't decide if I should get the small or the medium sized tablet, and literally spent hours reading reviews and suggestions on several sites. I knew I was perfectly happy with the "small" sized Bamboo tablet, but I thought that when upgrading, I might be happier with the medium size. I thought, "Maybe it would allow me to be just a tad more precise with my selections etc." Anyway, I really did wrestle with which size to purchase for over a week. Finally, I realized that it was a silly concern. I use a 24" monitor, and had even used my Bamboo tablet on 27" monitors. I had never experienced a lag, or felt that I was being imprecise with my movements, not had I ever wished for a larger tablet when I worked with the Bamboo. In short, I decided that, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I ended up getting the small (which still has a slightly bigger active area than the Bamboo, and is significantly bigger in terms of total dimensions).
Recently, I had the chance to try out the medium at a friends house, and have to say that I am grateful that I purchased the small. In terms of how precise you are with regards to how "large" a movement you are making; it turns out that you get into a habit of what you feel comfortable with, and then you zoom in or out accordingly. As such, his medium sized tablet just meant that I had to zoom in closer than I would have on my machine in order to make the strokes I felt comfortable with. This may be a bit confusing (but other editors will understand). The point though, is that for photo editing, the small is plenty big enough, and I've never felt a need for a larger tablet. In fact, when navigating around (outside of PS where I couldn't use zoom in or out to affect the screen map) I found the medium a bit too large.I felt like I had more control with the small tablet, where I didn't have to make these huge movements with my arm. With that said, I think a lot of this comes down to what you are used to. I am so used to my small sized tablet, that using a medium sized tablet felt "wrong." I would guess that if he used my tablet, he would think mine felt "wrong."
With that in mind, I love my small Intuos Pro. It does everything I need, and almost everything I want. It is smooth and responsive, and makes precise work a breeze. The software integrates easily with my system and makes its use easy and fun. The tablet is a MUST when I am editing photos, but even just for surfing the web it works great. I am very pleased with this product, and I'm happy that I upgraded from the Bamboo line. I am also happy with my choice of the small size, which is more than roomy enough to edit photos on a large screen monitor!!!
44 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2015
I am in love with my Wacom, I used in my computer and at school too, the buttons at the left same a lot of time and they are very helpful, the only thing is I am left handed and I was trying to change the settings but seems than is not an option to change the orientation of the tablet. other than that I and very happy with this product.
review image
on June 1, 2014
This tablet is excellent, and is a nice step up from my previous Intuos 4. The ability to use it as a track pad or pen tablet makes it even more useful for me. I will concur with the other reviews that the USB port in the tablet is poorly designed- it is very loose and seems likely to wear out soon.

I purchased a "20CM Mini USB B Male To Female Right Angle Extension SYNC Cable M/F Data Cord" from eBay as a previous reviewer suggested, and it's a great solution... it minimizes or eliminates the need to plug and unplug anything directly into the main USB port, and that will definitely increase the lifespan of the connection. But even though there is a workaround solution, this issue should be fixed by Wacom on future units, and fast- it's clearly a problem with all Intuos Pro tablets.

Also, the first Intuos Pro tablet I received from Amazon worked out of the box, but then suddenly stopped working just a couple days later. Amazon customer service was very helpful and sent me a replacement quickly, and the new one has had no issues at all.
on June 16, 2015
I have been using this tablet extensively, it is for the most part excellent. I have experienced some glitchyness, but not often. Sometimes it doesn't release a click and I have to flip the pen over to get it to release. other times if it is not responding properly, I have just unplugged and replugged the cable and that solved the issue. However, these are rare events and does not seriously mess with my workflow. It is just a minor annoyance. I am an artist and this tablet, combined with Photoshop CC and Painter 2015 has made the leap to digital art possible. I have attached two portraits drawn with pencil and similar brushes in Photoshop and one landscape painted with Corel Painter.
review image review image review image
on July 10, 2014
I'm a professional illustrator and spend an average of 8 hours a day working with a tablet. I bought the Intuos Pro to replace an Intuos3, which finally gave out after 7 years of flawless use. When the Intuos Pro arrived, there were a few things that annoyed me about it right away. I don't use the side buttons, preferring keyboard commands, and so I disabled all of the buttons and the touch wheel -- but the touch wheel still functions, and I've had to train myself to avoid ever accidentally brushing it with my hand. The pen's tip feel is quite a bit different from the Intuos3 -- almost gritty, and regardless of the pressure sensitivity I set in the preferences, I feel like I have to press very hard all the time to get the line I want, which is pretty wearing on your hands if you're using the device all day like me. Then there are the nibs, which actually wear down with use -- after 2 weeks my first nib was probably 1/16th of an inch shorter than it had started out as, and all frayed at the end. In 7 years of using my Intuos3, I had never had to change the nib.
But I was totally happy to put up with all these minor annoyances, until, about a month or two after receiving the Intuos Pro, it would stop responding in the middle of drawing. First it was just once in a while, but by now, 4 months in, it does it about 20% of the time that I lift my pen up away from the tablet. I can't seem to figure out how to consistently get the tablet to register the pen movements again after these pauses -- sometimes I have to jam the nib as hard as I can back into the pen, sometimes I have to wave the pen madly across the tablet surface for a minute, sometimes I have to wiggle the cord around (I always have it plugged in so it's not a wireless problem), sometimes I have to unplug and replug the cord, either from the computer or from the tablet body, sometimes I have to move the mouse and then the pen again. It takes me only a handful of seconds to try all of these things until one of them works, but with this happening about every 15 minutes during my work day, I'm losing probably a half an hour of work a day over the problem. I've finally gotten to the point where it's bad enough that I'm giving up on this tablet. I'm sure my model just happens to be defective, but apparently even though Wacom gives you a 1-year warranty automatically with the tablet purchase, that's not actually valid unless you mail something in to them the month you receive it, so I'm out a few hundred dollars and going to start looking for a used Intuos3. I had a lot of faith in Wacom for many years and feel very disappointed.