5.0 out of 5 stars Intuos5 Med vs Lrg
Published on March 9, 2012 by emora

Once again I purchase another Intuos to see what improvements have come along. Since I also help beta test software, I wanted to see the capabilities of this tablet.

This is the first Intuos I've owned that the first impression is not great

Published on March 22, 2012 by S. Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuos5 Med vs Lrg, March 9, 2012
UPDATE 4/2 - I have been working on the large tablet for two weeks. It has been working great without any glitches or lockups (i've still yet to have any driver problems..ever). I feel a lot more confortable with the tablet to screen ratio. When I draw the strokes feel a lot more comfortable and natural. When it comes down to choosing between the Medium or the Large size tablet, you have to look at what your main working focus is going to be. Since I do illustration and digital painting, I value the natural feel and movements. I do agree with the fact that you could retrain your muscle memory to a smaller tablet but it's simply your preference. My co-worker has a small tablet and his main use is for photo retouching/editing. The touch function is handy when you get use to the new gestures, but again, I feel that the gestures are mostly for navigation and partially for some convenience. Main focus of a tabled is for pen/tablet graphical work (at least for me). I do like that you can turn the touch gestures on and off with a button. Also really like that if I gently place my finger over the button, the tabled will display the map of each function for the buttons. I still give this tablet a 5 stars because of the ergonomical confort in the design, But, most importantly, it is an amazing tablet to work with. As an digital illustrator/painter, the large size meets my needs for the most natural feel (updated 4/2).

This tablet is simply amazing. The new button set up and feel is a great change. While drawing you really get a paper texture feel. If you have used an Intuos4, you might not notice much of a pressure and response difference but the new buttons and rubber is a big change. I think its a lot more practical and more efficient while in use. I constantly found myself feeling like I needed to clean my Intuos4 from smudging it.

Now, if you are considering Medium vs Large....
I use to have an Intuos4 Lrg and loved it. I owned the tabled for 2 years and used for graphic design, illustrations, and some digital painting. The strokes always felt very natural and good ration of tabled to screen. I hardly ever used the precision mode button because my table to screen ratio was very good.

Intuos5 Med.....
Now, I switched to the new Intuos5 medium and loved the new look and feel, but did not like the screen to tabled ratio. Just navigating through photoshop from one end of the screen to the other was very awkward. I messed around with the mapping settings and I still couldn't get something that I liked. Now, I have been using a Large tablet for the past 2 years and it might take some time to adjust. But, since I rely so much on my tablet for what I do as a career, to me it is worth spending a little more and getting what I am already confortable with.

Professionally speaking, the tablet to monitor ratio is a big deal to me. If you are using the tablet with just a 15 or 17 monitor/ laptop, the Medium tablet ratio is probably okay. If you are primarily using the tablet for photo touch up and some moderate design, the Medium size will suit your needs. But, if you have some drawing background (fine arts), you will probably find the Large tablet to suit your needs. The biggest reason is the way you probably do your strokes, you use your arm & shoulder instead of your wrist. Wrist movement would be appropriate (common) for photo touchups, and some illustrations, but for bigger custom made designs you would want the Large tablet. The medium size tablet is like drawing on half a sheet of paper at a time and the Large tablet is like drawing on a whole piece of paper (8.5x11).

One big thing I noticed was the active area difference between the two tablets. The active area is only within the white cross hairs (or "L" figures) on the tablet. You have an extra .5" of blank space around the active area and it doesn't really seem to do anything (at least from what I could tell). This makes your active area a lot smaller than what it looks. This was a big deal breaker for me and the reason for why I am going back to using the Large size tablet.

When it comes down to performance, both tablets have equal sensitivity and touch performance, there is no question in that. The biggest thing is consider the monitor real estate you will be using and the tablet to monitor ratio. Remember that a tablet is a tablet for computer graphic work that requires a pen/ pencil style, not Navigation and or web browsing. The touch is a nice plus and I believe its just Wacoms way of gearing to the new Navigation style that computers are headed to.

I will be returning the Medium and getting a Large. I will post an update once I get it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet with a bad driver (6.3.0-2) *UPDATEDx2*, March 5, 2012
Update 9/11/2012: I have found a compromise system of settings between Apple and Wacom that seems to work fairly well. On Apple's settings pane I UNcheck everything on the Point & Click tab and leave only the two Zoom boxes checked on the Scroll and Zoom tab (the More Gestures tab doesn't seem to affect it). In the Wacom touch settings, Standard Gestures tab, I have UNchecked Tap to click, Tap to right click, and Rotate.

My belief is that part of the problem arrises when the two touch features fight with each other, and this particular setup seems to minimize the arguments.

I'm still using and happy with driver, version 6.3.2-4 (Mac)

Update 7/11/2012: The latest driver, version 6.3.2-4 (Mac) is the first version that I would call good. It seems to include some palm rejection (a feature they had promised was in the pipe-line), and it makes all the difference in the world. At this point if you were holding off for decent drivers (and you are on a Mac), I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger. Windows drivers seem to lag behind the Mac drivers, so I can't vouch for them. The palm rejection is not perfect - it only seems to work at the very bottom of the tablet for some reason - but it makes the tablet very much easier to use with your hand. The pen input remains, as ever, very good.

Update 03/21/12: The latest driver, version 6.3.0-4, has resolved the crashing for me. They have also taken the initiative to contact me an discuss my continued issues with the current driver and my desires for future versions (This was not to my knowledge related to this review, but rather a support request). I now feel confident that they are working towards a multi-touch product as solid as their pen implementation, and now that the crashing has been resolved, have a highly usable product in the mean time. To be clear, for Mac users at least, the 6.3.0-4 driver is found somewhat wanting when compared to Apple's own touch devices/multi-touch implementation. After discussing their plans though, I think that they are headed in the right direction, and that they are actively working to make an excellent multi-touch product, so I have upgraded my interim rating to reflect the improved driver.

I bought this Intuos5 to replace an aging, but still highly functional Intuos2 (the first USB model).

In short, I love the hardware. The capacitive/real buttons are good (though I'm not sold on the circular slider - the circumference is just not big enough for smooth action). The soft touch surface is great, the combination of pen and touch is a win for my use case. I'm a heavy Adobe user, and the pen has always been a great tool for those pieces of software. Where the pen came up short was standard OS interaction and casual web surfing, etc. This is where the multi-touch aspect of the tablet shines.

Or rather this is where it SHOULD shine. The touch driver (6.3.0-2) is not ready for prime-time. Don't get me wrong, the pen aspect is flawless, it's only with touch, where the driver has to seamlessly hand off some touch interactions to the operating system (two finger scroll, pinch to zoom, etc.) and react appropriately to others (right and left tap to click) where the bugs pop up. I know from past experience with beta mouse drivers for the (touch) Magic Mouse that this is no easy task to accomplish, and it takes a lot of refinement to get it right. Wacom has not yet gotten it right. This is especially frustrating since the tasks that do not work consistently are the ones you use most (point and left or right "click").

In addition, I've had the tablet three days now, and the touch drivers have crashed five times. At one point they would not restart at all, and I had to reinstall(!) and reboot to get the tablet to function again. I'm not entirely sure why it crashes yet. I'll just be busy trying to point and click, and it will suddenly become less responsive, and a window pops up saying that the touch drivers have crashed. Usually, a half-dozen taps later and the touch drivers restart, and we're off to the races again. If, in the races, you then stop a few hundred yards down the track, again.

So in summary, a solid pen tablet, that may become a great multi-touch device, if they ever get their drivers sorted out.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Very Frustrating Device for a Longtime Wacom Fan - Wacom You're Killing me with these USB Port Issues!, March 22, 2012

This is the first Intuos I've owned that the first impression is not great

[EDIT 7/24/13] Come ON Wacom!!!! I Find my tablet refuses to power on, it's once again the dead USB port issue I encountered with the Intuos4. Can you imagine trying to make deadlines and your tablet dying because of this issue?

[EDIT - 9/1/12] Decided to update the review with a new edit. A Wacom rep contacted me over this review and has been working with me since to help keep fixing issues I've mentioned previously. I still get Tablet orientation problems when installing new drivers. I also have gotten a crash sometimes. If you get "TABLET NOT FOUND" There are two services that you need to restart in Windows.

TabletServiceWacom
and
WacomProfessionalTouchService

The HUD is no longer lagged and I have to wait a moment for the switching between wired and wireless mode. I had it crash in Sketchbook Pro 6.

Touch is much better in programs that have actually taken the time to utilize it vs the default. Painter 12 and Sketchbook Pro 6 work much better with it.

[EDIT - 6/19] There is a new driver on Wacom's site 6.3.2.w3 that will finally allow your Windows computer to sleep. I did run into the problem where the icons on my taskbar and start menu were broken but since fixed the icon cache.

[EDIT - 3/24] I finally got the wireless kit, which is an extra 40 dollar purchase, and there are some problems with it too. I placed it up top of my review since people haven't seen much on the wireless performance. When the wireless is installed on Windows 7 it causes the device to lose preferences and won't respond. If you go to hit your tablet preferences it will say "Driver not found" I had to go to the Services - TabletWacom and restart it. Then it launched with my preferences. It took more than 6 hours to charge. You'll often see the indicator saying it's at 97 percent. I finally got the "Charged" icon this morning. I plugged it in at 7pm last night and it's now 8:45 am the next day.

...Well I take that back a bit. Apparently when you plug the tablet back in to USB, it completely loses your preferences. What in the world? This is aggravating! It sometimes comes back, but it looks like I have to use my trackpad or mouse to get it to launch with the preferences again by opening the Wacom control Panel Preferences. It also looses my mapping orientation when navigating through touch. That completely defeats the purpose of this tablet being touch!

Some things I noticed. There seems to be less lag with the on screen popup and buttons in wireless mode than USB. Interesting... There is a problem with navigation in wireless mode it appears. When I have to full screen a document in programs, it stops navigating. I don't expect it to draw, but I see no reason why it should stop causing cursor movement. So sigh...frustration again.

So apparently when plugged in and I try to navigate through touch, this tablet looses my mapping preferences, so what am I supposed to do, flip the tablet around each time? This is ridiculous!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have my Wacom Intuos3 6 x 8-Inch Pen Tablet and you can also see that I own the Wacom Intuos4 Large Pen Tablet. I have to say this is the first tablet that has me frustrated upon first impression. I love the Intuos line of tablets from Wacom, but I find while there are some improvements, there are some shortcomings that almost had me returning the tablet.

So many people want to know... "has the surface improved? Is it still a nib eating beast?"
Answer is yes. I actually find the surface worse than my intuos4. The intuos4 had a nice paper feel where it was a good comfortable sketchbook. This feels like you're using a quill pen on newsprint. It just feels a bit more irritating and rougher. I at first thought I was scratching the tablet when trying out the touch portion, but it was actually filing my fingernails. Here's a bigger thing to consider. This is a touch tablet, and if you scratch the surface be prepared to send the tablet back in for repair. There is no overlay sheet for this tablet though I have seen some surface protectors (not sure how it fares), the touch surface is integrated into the tablet. This is why you simply can't replace a scratched surface with an overlay sheet.

Have the USB ports improved. Answer, not certain. The medium tablet has one usb port, and when I used the cable with the tablet it still felt wiggly. So I do feel a bit of unease. I feel they took a step back with the ambidextrous setup the intuos4 had. I'm left handed, and their solution was "here's a clip on the side, make a loose loop" That just encourages a kink in the cable, and eventual break in the connection. I ended up just packing away the cable since it didn't seem to fit snug and replaced it with my AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters) Sorry, but Wacom needs to really make better cables.

Gone are the OLEDs for the express keys and due to your personal preference this may be a good or bad thing. I actually liked the previous design and had fun with the OLEDs. The layout of the express keys are an improvement. I can understand why people didn't like the previous setup, I just didn't have an issue with it. I liked the hard surface vs the gel/rubber. Rubber has a tendency to dry out and crack over time. I hope this doesn't happen because the appearance isn't so bad. It also seems to like to show more greasy/oil stains where smudges are easier to wipe off other kinds of surfaces like the previous intuos. There are LEDs on the surface of the tablet now to tell you where the active area is. I do agree that this is an improvement for users who kept butting their stylus into the corners of the tablet. I didn't have the problem because the proportions of the tablet were always a bit smaller when in proportion to my monitors.

While the express keys are an improvement in layout, the touch ring and center button takes a step back. This touch ring is hard to get to respond. It seems that it's too sensitive to me touching the ring when I am pressing down on the center button to cycle through the settings. It lags and I tested my intuos4 on the same computer and don't have this problem. Absolute frustration! This may have to do with what makes the tablet so frustrating.

The touch is hit and miss for the express keys. If you have it on, sometimes the express keys lag like crazy. I haven't experienced crashes, but I can certainly see the lag. So much for "EXPRESS" keys if it's this slow to respond. It can be downright intolerable. If you barely touch the surface of where the express keys are sometimes you get a response of an on screen display of which buttons you're pressing. I'd be fascinated if it weren't so laggy.

The touch part which is what this tablet is about, is not so great. While I concede to having to adjust a bit when you have touch and you're trying to draw the lag bothers me greatly. I've been able to however, see some interesting gestures in action. I've been able to get the rotate gesture to work on Photoshop CS4, CS5 and CS6 (beta), Corel Painter 12, Art Rage Studio Pro. I couldn't get it to work on Open Canvas 1.1, Easy Paint Tool Sai and didn't appear to work on Sketchbook Pro 2011. So just know touch gestures are not a complete replacement for express keys because of limitations on not only software that will recognize it but the gestures themselves. Just to be clear it seems you can navigate fine as a trackpad, but the gestures are a bit buggy.

There is also a bug, as I'm a Windows7 user where as long as the tablet is plugged in regardless of wireless or USB, it will mess up your power functions and keep your monitor on. - This bug has been fixed since the 6.3.2.w3 driver update released Jun 14

I just can't seem to love this tablet like I have with my previous intuos I have purchased over the years.
I usually pride myself as a Wacom Fangirl, but not this time :/ I can't totally dismiss the tablet because I can see how an intuos user from models 3 and below can see a lot more improvement, but that's for the drawing. It's the touch part that is really interfering with the "professional" experience as well as the bad reaction time for the express keys and touch ring.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks I should be giving a five star review for a tablet that lags where it's supposed to function reasonably is crazy.

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars once the Lion/Mountain Lion drivers are fixed! (Buyer beware!), August 10, 2012
Scott A. Nelson (Altoona, PA United States) - See all my reviews
First off, let me say I've used Wacoms for years on both Windows and Mac machines. Wacom makes great products, but right now there has been a severe driver issue on Mac OS (Windows too but enough other posters mentioned those) and they need fixed.

If you are on Snow Leopard, buy this tablet and enjoy it. Its a great tablet especially when you get the express keys configured. If you are on Lion or Mountain Lion, read on before considering this purchase.

Wacom has known about an issue where after using an express key, any input from the pen (or even your mouse!) is ignored immediately afterwards. I've filed numerous reports and so have others on the forums. These appear to fall on deaf ears.

Imagine working in Photoshop, ZBrush, or Corel Painter and after every single click of a modifier key you have to swipe the pen a few times to get it to register (this is particularly terrible for ZBrush users!). Thats the bug, and its crippling to work with. This bug has been around since the beginning of Lion and is still not fixed. You can read all about the bug here if you wish: [...]
Rolling back to an earlier driver doesn't work, neither does any of the other numerous fixes listed on any site.

Until Wacom fixes this bug, I suggest you look elsewhere for your tablet needs.

EDIT: I don't know if this works on all tablets but for the Intuos 4 and the Cintiq it appears that if you use driver 6.1.7-5 (an OLD driver) you will have no lag in Lion or Mountain Lion. I am still keeping Wacom 1 star rating until this is fixed with a proper driver. Once its fixed I'll give the product 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back up to three stars for Windows 8 driver, March 9, 2012
After many months Wacom finally has drivers that work reasonably well. However, I maintain my disappointment with the hardware. My first disappointment is that Wacom includes the standard fat stylus with the silicone rubber sleeve. Aside from feeling like you're drawing with a thick kindergarten pencil, the rubber grips on these things are a hassle. They catch dirt and they get soft, sticky, and slick over time. Eventually they start to slide around and interfere with side switch operation. Wacom sometimes has replacement sleeves and sometimes not, but consider the rubber sleeve to be a consumable just like the nibs for the stylus. I prefer the "classic" pen and that cost me another $70 to the Wacom store.

Speaking of costly extras, if you want to use the tablet cordlessly, you'll need to do what I did and order the $40 wireless adapter. I got my adapter kit from Wacom and had some difficulty getting it to work. You have to install a wireless module, install and charge a battery, then plug a USB transceiver into your computer. I couldn't get the USB transceiver to work using the same port that I had the tablet plugged into via USB cable. I had to plug the transceiver into a different port before the device was recognized, the driver installed, and the tablet became active. I've given up on using the tablet wireless. Battery life is too short so it's not worth the hassle for a little tablet mobility.

I bypassed "upgrading" to the Intuos4 in favor of my Intuos3 tablet that had a better drawing surface and a gloss bezel finish that doesn't show wear over time. Intuos5's rubbery surface is almost surely worse. I can easily imagine the front edge and frequently used Expresskeys first getting shiny and perhaps eventually having the rubber surface layer peel. The drawing surface has no user-replaceable overlay that I can lift up. The drawing area is another textured surface that will wear and get shiny. Be very careful not to scratch the Intuos5's drawing surface because it's really miserable to try and draw with the pen nib jumping as you cross the scratch. If you wear out or scratch and Intuos3 overlay, you simply buy a replacement and install it. The Intuous5 has no wide wrist rest, presumably because it has to provide right and left hand orientations. That makes the Intuos5 less comfortable to use if you tend to rest your wrist or forearm on the front of the tablet. The USB connection is fussy (push it in deeper than it seems to want to be), the connector's in the way, and the cord's not long enough.

The Expresskeys have been tamed by the newest drivers and don't do unwanted actions as they used to. But they're still a pain to configure and you can't share your configuration effort with any other Intuos5 user or copy them for use on another computer.

The drawing surface feels somewhat coarse and pen sensitivity seems less responsive compared to prior tablets I've used. The driver defaults to only 1024 pressure levels and I turned off "pressure compatibility" to get 2048 levels via my Adobe Suite applications. The touch operation was pretty much worthless to me under Windows 7 but with the latest driver and my new Windows 8 workstation, standard gestures work reasonably well.

Wacom could improve the experience of installing and using these tablets by providing a way to load some useful custom application settings. It's really a pain to customize the tablet for individual applications from scratch. Instead, you can sign up for Wacom webinars for information on how to create useful custom application controls.

I rewrote this review since I'm now using the tablet now with a new Windows 8 workstation. The most recent driver adds support for Windows 8 gestures. The new driver works reasonably well for touch operation - much better than any Intuos5 gestures worked for me under Windows 7. The sensitivity of the touch surface has been adjusted in the driver so that random unwanted actions seem to be rare now. I'm not surprised to report that tablet's drawing surface is now both scratched and burnished shiny from daily use. As I mention above the drawing/touch surface is not replaceable. Unlike prior generations of Wacom tablets, when the Intuos5's drawing surface becomes unusable you'll have to replace the entire tablet instead of a relatively inexpensive replaceable overlay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Burning through nibs and more, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Wacom Intuos5 Touch Large Pen Tablet (PTH850) (Personal Computers)
Bought the intuos 5 and I'm a little disappointed. First of all it does not come with a mouse anymore because they believe that the touch pad technology is good enough. This sucks if you use a mouse for 3-D packages. Also the touch pad technology is still kinda clumsy and no where near the ipad. Secondly the rubber casing makes it difficult to glide your hand back and forth while drawing. The worst thing is the new surface. It has a bit more tooth to it and it KILLS your nibs. I went through two nibs in about two weeks. I'm not heavy handed and I know how to use all the settings. When I was using the Intuos 3 it took me three years before I needed to replace the nib, working 40-50 hours a week. On the Inutos 4 it took about a year and a half before having to replace the nib. So it was alarming when I went through a nib a week.

Called Wacom. It was no help, the person did not know what he was talking about and kept putting me on hold so he could ask others. When he came back he told me I could buy more nibs or use my finger to paint instead of using the pen. Are you kidding me??? I asked him if I could replace the surface using the Intuos 4 sheet protector or some type of mylar. He told me the Intuos 4 sheet protector will not work because of the touch pad technology and good luck on the mylar. So I guess my only solution is to try the mylar, buy more nibs or get hit with the 15% restock fee. Very disappointed I would wait for upgrades in the touch pad technology and a change in design before you buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Numerous issues, April 5, 2012
This review is based on my experience with a large Intuos5 on Windows 7 using driver version 6.3.0-2 (driver date 2/29/2012).

I am upgrading from an Intuos3 and was choosing between an Intuos4 and Intuos5. I decided to give the 5 a try; I've been a long user of Wacom tablets and love them.

I was quite surprised to have numerous issues with the Intuos5:

The button in the middle of the touch ring was very hard to press. I'm afraid I would never use this feature because the button was so hard to press.

The ExpressKeys were kind of awkward. You press the key, and you get a tactile sense of "click", and then you press a little further and the function fires but you can still keep pressing. I never found out how far you could press because I was afraid I would break it. I prefer the ExpressKeys on the Intuos3 that you "clicked" and they bottomed out. The Intuos5 ExpressKeys are awkward to press multiple times in a row quickly; it takes practice (you have to learn how far to press). For instance, I have Undo and Redo assigned to keys and like to undo multiple times quickly. Not a deal breaker, but a nuisance.

The cursor tracking using pen input was not up to snuff. It varied between applications. I was using Adobe Reader to read the Intuos5 manual, and using the pen to navigate. The cursor was constantly behind the pen, lagged badly, jumped and froze briefly often. Then, in Painter 12, the problems were much less apparent. However, even in Painter 12 there was significant lag when you brought the pen into range of the tablet, including a cursor jump after a momentary freeze (this happened most of the time). I assume this is a driver issue.

I found the amount of resistance the tablet offered to moving the pen to be too much. I actually think some resistance is good; I find the Intuos3 to be too slippery and that makes fine details in art harder. Maybe I could get used to the resistance from the Intuos5, but my initial reaction was it is too much (feedback on the Intuos4 is that the resistance is less there).

Pen flicks that I use with the Intuos3 were not working. I could not pen flick to the next page (I could flick to the previous page).

The touch input feature, while it holds great promise, is not ready. I had the following happen on a couple of occasions: When I rested my hand on the edge while holding the pen, the pen moved out of range of the tablet and enabled touch input. The edge of my hand at rest would cause multiple random commands to fire silently and things would go haywire. Once, my picture got rotated. Another time, massive changes were made to my current brush in Painter 12: opacity was changed and color variance was enabled with 50% hue variation in the current brush. Wow! All this was silent. That took a while to recover from. I know you can turn touch off, but I wanted to let people know how it's working.

My Intuos5 tablet could not sense changing to the eraser side of the pen (and back) consistently. It would work fine from a while. But then, sometimes it wouldn't sense that you switched to the eraser. Or, it would leave the program in eraser mode when you switched back to regular input. This happened with both the default pen and a Digital Airbrush I had, so it wasn't just the default pen. The problem would come and go.

I've decided to give the Intuos4 a try and returned the Intuos5. The 4 has an excellent track record. I did like the increased sensitity of the tablet vs. my Intuos3, especially for using brushes with low pen pressure. The Intuos4 has that feature so I should be OK there. Also, I want a tablet that supports the newer 6D art pen which I love (the Intuos 4 supports it).

1.0 out of 5 stars Wacom lost me on this one., March 3, 2013
I have been a long time Wacom fan but the Intuos 5 touch deletes the drivers at least once per day. Wacom has told me to do a complete clean of the old drivers and reinstall. I have done this no less the 200 times. Hello Wacom!!!! This issue is talked about on Wacom's web site as well with no solution. I installed the latest drivers(WacomTablet_635w3)and restarted my computer once again after un-installing the exact same driver six times in the last 24 hours. How can a driver just delete it's self????? It is gone. It can't be found....

If you want to constantly un-install, reinstall and reboot your computer for the Intuos 5 Touch which does about 2% more then the Intuos 4 that it replaced then ba all means buy it. I wish I could return this one but too late.

Wacom's e-mail support system is as useless to me as the Intuos5 and their web site was broken when I tried to sign up to leave a message on their forum.

EDIT 3-10-2013===================================
The driver not found error is still there with windows 7 64bit as of 3-10-2013. Also there web site is broken too. It will not let me log into there forms to. Wacom has been around for ever but this.The software just does not work. Customer support doesn't work either. What happen to wacom?????

1.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy, gets stuck, not responsive. The worst software ever in terms of usability., November 18, 2012
Bought it with the Wifi addon, using it on windows 7. And even using it connected with a cable, it's sloppy, not responsive.

On Lightroom or Color Efex (any software really), when trying to adjust a slider, I click the slider and before I can start moving it the icon turns in a circle icon similiar to Firefox loading and can't move the slider. Can't fluidly click and move a slider!!
Instead of a Click to produce a Click, it seems it waits... if I do a click (with the tip of the pen in Nik Sharpener pro ie, instead of doing a clic it appears this circle moving icon and after ~2 seconds the right click menu appears!!!! instead of making a click as I have configured it on the setting, which by the way is the default behavior)!!!
It seems that when you can do an action after clicking (on a slider) or on Sharpener pro image area (hand tool), instead of doing a click like done with the mouse, it waits for a long click to do a right click... and while it waits that long click (two seconds or so) it doesn't do nothing showing this circular icon while you can`t move the cursor... I can't believe this work like this... did some one test it using apps besides MS Paint?

The software is a nightmare and the worst one in terms of usability I have ever used on windows and Linux.

The settings if awful, beside once the app got stuck and lost all the settings and have to configure it from scratch. There is a backup tool, but why make it another app!!!, there should be an option from the setting window to backup... having it as another app makes backing up much less user friendly and don't make user even think it's necessary to do constants backups because the app is so bad that you're settings are randomly being reset.

There is no way to configure the language of the app... For work I have to use a computer with windows in a foreign language, and can't install the wacom apps in English.

The app specific settings, again is a GUI horror... don't know who have though this. If you want to change only one button ie: redo in photoshop is Ctrl+Shift+Z, on Lightroom is Ctrl+Y, and if you want to switch only that, you have to set the "specific" app completely (besides buttons, touch ring, radial menu, etc). Later you want to change another button ie Ctrl modifier button, and you have to manually change it across all the different apps you have configured, instead of an easy way to selecting specific buttons to be different for an app, or to select on the app specific settings (that should be the default option) "use the general setting", so if you changed a function that you didn't set a different setting from the general config, that setting will follow the general settings, and you don't have to change that setting 15 times is you have 15 apps configured.

I believe the hardware is pretty good, but it is turning a nightmare to use it. I hope firmware updates improve this so I can finally use it.

PS: using the latest drivers/software (from 1st November)

=========
Edit february 2013:
New driver, it "seems" to work better (when it works), but every time I insert the USB wifi on the computer, windows starts "installing driver", and obviously after that it doesn't work correctly, so now every single time I want to use the intuous 5 I have to reinstall the downloaded driver (with reboot included, etc, etc, etc!)... "nice"! all the ease of use and friendlyness any user could want...
If I try opening the settings app of the tablet it tells me "No se ha encontrado el controlador de la tableta" (which I guess it means that it can find the tablet driver... funny to have to read in other language since the tablet doesn't have an option to install it in plain English), and is also funny to get that message even though I've installed the driver every day for the last weeks to be able to use it...

=========
Update may 2013: With latest drivers (18 Mar 2013)
Now the tablet is unusable with wifi module, the icon on the systray appears and disappears and there is no way to make it work with wifi module. 40 USD wasted and given freely to wacom.
I'll simply never will buy any wacom product.

1.0 out of 5 stars WINDOWS 8 USERS BEWARE, April 7, 2013
I have used nothing but Wacom tablets for over 10 years, with nothing but praise for them. They stood up to a good amount of abuse and worked perfectly. The folks at Wacom were fantastic whenever I had a question or problem (which wasn't often).

Then I bought the Intuos5 Touch Medium in November 2012. My opinion of Wacom and its products has done a complete 180. My advice to any prospective buyer is to do an extensive amount of research, and not on the Wacom website. Find out what people all over the web are saying.

Having been a long time Wacom user, I was honestly shocked to find that I disliked this tablet immediately. Simply put, it's too complicated. It tries to do too much. It took a long time for me to search out all of the information necessary to customize this tablet so that I could use it without cursing every 5 seconds at all the crazy defaults. Additionally, the Intuos5 does NOT play nice with Windows 8 and workarounds were necessary. This is a documented issue, so if you have Win8, do your homework before you decide to buy this product.

Furthermore, the Intuos5 USB plug is *extremely* loose at the tablet end & wiggles all over the place. This is also a documented issue. I was constantly losing the connection in mid stroke. I posted several requests for Tech Support to the Wacom website and never received a reply. In desperation I ordered a Wireless Kit from Wacom. Upon arrival, it didn't work.

I called Customer Service and they couldn't pull me up on their system so I provided all of my information over the phone. They walked me through hooking up the Wireless Kit to confirm that it didn't work. Then I was asked to email additional info so that they could ship a replacement Wireless Kit. Despite everything, Customer Service kept getting my address wrong when confirming info back to me. I kept correcting them and they kept acknowledging receipt of my corrections, but when I received the tracking number for the new Wireless Kit, I discovered that they were shipping to an incorrect address! There must have been 15 emails in all before they finally got my address right.

I finally received a replacement Wireless Kit and it does work, but problems with the tablet have rendered it useless. You must plug in the tablet's USB cable to charge the battery that comes with the wireless kit. My USB cable stopped making a connection to the tablet in March, 2013. I am certain that there's no break in the cord. The problem is the port on the tablet.

I ended up shelling out over $375 for 3 months of tablet use. Wacom products and support are a far cry from what they used to be.

ARRAY(0xa75e6a68)

Wacom Intuos5 Touch Large Pen Tablet (PTH850)
$499.99 $299.99