4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good

Published on November 9, 2011 by Dio

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, November 30, 2010
Jackie "Jackie" (Champaign IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
This is my third Wagan seat-heater, and I'm hoping for improvement. The first was [...] which worked but was flimsy and fell apart quickly, within five months. Then I bought [...] which had a better design in terms of durability of material, but still flimsy straps. BUT - it only lasted me one season, and was completely dead (light came on when plugged in but never warmed up at all) this fall after closet storage for the summer. I just bought this one [...] a week or so ago. It seems to have durable material and the straps to hold it to the seat are much thicker/stronger, although still not perfect, and this one has a 3-way switch. It is keeping my rear warm (gets hot fast, and hotter than factory-car seat kind), but we'll see about the durability. Given my previous experience with Wagan, I'm only expecting one season. I looked, and of course these only have a one-year warranty. I will definitely be checking if it works early next fall. Despite that, even if I have to keep buying a new one every winter, it's worth $20 to keep my butt warm; it gets into the negatives here in central IL!

___________________
Update March 2011
___________________

Still going strong! No further issues noted.

____________________
Update November 2011
____________________

Well, I just pulled it out of closet storage - and IT STILL WORKS!!!! Yay! Heats up quick, no concerns.
This one's a winner!

________________________
Update December 19, 2011
________________________
Okay, well it finally died. Another one that lasts only about a year. But, "bang for buck", $20 is still worth a toasty bum, so I'm going to order a new one. Yes, I know I could probably argue with the company since technically the one-year warranty should be extended since I purchased with a credit card, but I'm just too darn lazy to do it, when I can have Amazon deliver me a new one in two days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes your butt feel toasty in 2 minutes flat, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
My car is about ten years old and takes a while to heat up. I'm in NY and winters get cold.
I've only had this seat cover for a week so I can't talk to its durability, but here are the things I really like about it:

-- Warms your butt in about 2 minutes, if that - it works fast!
-- Temperature controls you can use from your seat, that let you choose Low, High, or Off
-- I have no problem with the straps to keep the cover on my backrest
-- The material itself is polyester - I avoid leather-type materials because I find them to be less comfortable

The only thing you have to remember is, ** take the plug out of your cigarette lighter when you're done using it! **
It draws power and you don't want to do that with the car off.

Also, it will take up your cigarette lighter, even if you have one of those adapters that transform a cigarette lighter outlet into multiple outlets, because each outlet has less capacity than the original 12 volt cigarette lighter, and you need all 12 volts to power this cover. You can't plug this into one hole of a 2-hole outlet adapter.

For $20-$25, if you have a car that takes any more than 2 minutes to heat through, this is money VERY well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps my tushie warm - love it!, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
My car sits out in the cold parking lot at work for 8 hours. I love, love, love this heated seat cushion. I barely turn the heat on in my car now. I am toasty warm in less than 2 minutes. This is great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great before it caught on fire, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
My seat warmer lasted nearly a year, which sounds like a good life time for this product based on the other reviews. For the year, I thoroughly enjoyed the functionality of the warmer- it was great after a tough day at the office. A few weeks ago though, the jack started to fall apart. I was able to tighten the jack up and everything seemed to be working correctly. However, the jack itself caught on fire today while I was on the freeway. Fortunately it seemed to just melt the plastic parts of the jack and stink up my car.

I'm not a huge fan of having open flames in my car, so I think I'll be going with a different brand for my next warmer. Still in the happiness to money ratio, the product provided good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Keeper!, December 11, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
A few nights ago our temps dropped to 13 degrees, which is blasted cold for our area! When I left work at midnight, I was freezing by the time I got to my car...nevermind the fact that I live eleven miles from work and my little car didn't warm up enough to stop my shivering until I was halfway home. I vowed I'd get SOMETHING to use for heat, thinking I'd get a little heater that plugs in to the cigarette lighter. I searched on Amazon and read the reviews for those, and there are several different makes and models, but they are less than glowing to say the least. I came across this item and decided that it was worth trying. I got it today, put it in my car, and when I left for work I could feel the warmth coming through my wool coat before I was two houses away from my house! I didn't need it at that time, but it sure was exciting to know that when I leave for home tonight I'll be toasty warm in just a couple of minutes. If it doesn't last more than one winter, it will still be worth the few dollars it costs if I have to buy a new one every year! I do need to mention this, though; the control switch on the cord doesn't look anything like the one in the picture on Amazon. It has no markings on it, so I have to figure out which position is High and which is Low. Once I do that I'll mark them myself. Thus, the four stars instead of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for the price, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
The seat cushion installs easy and works fine.
We tried it out on a 20 degree day...keep in mind it
gets hot while the car is running, if you use it
with the accessory postion, w/ the car off, it doesn't
heat up as hot..but it works fine, buy it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Plug may melt, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
I owned one of these for about a year and enjoyed having a toasty seat. There were problems though, starting with the plug falling apart, and ending with the plug melting. Last year we had a problem with the plug coming apart when we would take it out of the socket. That was fixable but annoying. Last week I started to smell a bad burning plastic smell as I drove home. When I pulled out the plug on the seat heater to check it, it was partially melted. I would say use extreme caution if you decide to try one of these.

Note: Mine was not the "enhanced durability" model, so hopefully the enhancements include the plug not melting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, December 18, 2010
J. Tebbets (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
I have been using this for about a month. The elastic bands used to hold it in place were worthless, as a) they didn't fit around my seat and b) snapped right off while trying to do so. No matter, it somehow stays in place anyway (fabric seats).

It gets hot, fast. Faster than my husbands factory issued heated seats.

However, I realize the packaging states this, but I'd like to reiterate. UNPLUG IT when you turn off your car. Finding a dead battery while already late for work was NOT fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
Pretty great seat warmer. The high setting is really hot, so low setting is enough. It heats up pretty fast -in about a minute or two.

There's a big elastic band to secure the seat to your car seat, but it's doesn't secure it all the way. Just make sure you're not dragging the thing out with you when you get out of the car.

Good product for cheap!

1.0 out of 5 stars update - not so good. Far better than expected, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
Update - after buying 3 of these, 2 have failed (no longer heating up) Got refunds, not using the 3rd as I bought a couple other ones from a different company, which is holding up better. It had potential. Nice and thin.. but durability still seems to be an issue

but when it worked it worked well

Below is my original review...

After reading some of the so-so reviews, I was pleasantly suprised by the performance of this seat heater.

Time will tell how durable it is.

It heats up fast and even. The seat heater gets more than warm enough. The short time I have had it, I put it on high..then it gets too hot after a while.. I put it on low.. then eventually off. I wanted it to just 'take the edge off'. It gets a lot warmer than that.

Only comment is the cord comes out of the right side. Not sure if the cord is long enough to use on the passenger side of the car, to reach most 12v receptacles on the dash/console of most cars. I am using it on the drivers side, and it works quite well.

I lied..another comment. the attachment cords could be a bit more robust. But for the price, I can overlook it.

Also...the "three way" temp control is really 2 settings (low and high) and OFF. Didn't think Off should be considere a setting.

But 2 thumbs up...at this moment.. I would (and probably will for my other cars) buy this again.