Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 2, 2006
I've owned Norelco, Remington, Braun, Panasonic, and Wahl. Of the lot, the Wahl has provided the closest shave with the greatest comfort. It has also been the most durable. It's beginning to show its age now, so I probably will replace it soon, but after more than 10 years of reliable service, it's still chugging along. I'm down to the last of three screens that came with the unit. The trimmer still works. The charger "stand"--a cheap little device that relied on gravity to make the electrical contact--never really worked well. I got tired of messing with it and just plugged the cord directly into the shaver. That worked fine for about 6 years, until the contacts in the plug loosened to the point wherein they wouldn't work reliably. I cut the plug off and replaced it with a couple of crimp-style splice connectors, which I tightly crimped onto the cord but crimped only enough to make a snug fit on the shaver contacts. I've been running it that way for the past 4 years, and it works great.

If that seems like a lot of fuss to endure for a shaver I've given a 5-star rating, here's a bit of context that should help to explain. The other shavers I've used have never given me more than a few years of service before they died. Their biggest consistent deficiency was failure to hold a charge; with no way to connect the power cord directly to the shaver, that's the end of the shaver's useful life. While they did function, none had ALL of the Wahl's advantages. Some were comfortable but didn't shave closely enough; or shaved closely but ravaged my face; or didn't have a trimmer; or pulled the hairs (OUCH!); or the screen was too fine or prone to clogging. The Wahl is the only shaver that had the best of all those features, and still provided a cord configuration that enabled me to keep the doggone thing running...and it's still running!

So, if you're not inclined to futz with a power cord, fair enough; deduct 4 years from my 10 years of reported usage, and there's your basis of comparison. Of course, it has been 10 years or more since I tried any of the other shavers. Maybe they've all improved in that time...even the Wahl. But based on my experience with the venerable old shaver I'm still using, when it finally dies, I'll buy another Wahl with confidence.
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2009
Update: 12/23/2009
It's been almost a year now and this thing is still a buzzsaw. I still recommend it heartily.
I don't know why Wahl isn't a bigger player in the electric razor field. They should be. I see
that it's being offered now for less money than I paid (sigh).

------------- My Original Review ----------------------------
Paid $58.35 for this Wahl 4000 with 3 replacement heads (Sensitive, Close and Super-Close) + a little "nose & ear clipper" which has 2 replacement heads. I've only been using it for 2 weeks now.
This puppy reminds me of my old beloved Ronsons (I'm over 60-years old), and that's a very high recommendation. I've loved my full-sized previous Braun and a little Braun 1775 for traveling, but this mighty Wahl tops all except the Ronson corded models (but is equal to them, I think). I've never seen a cordless razor with this much power! It's loud, but what the hell?
My beard has been all-grey for years now and, as you may know, that means each hair is thicker and harder to cut. This razor plows thru it easily.
Its plastic body does feel thin and more fragile than others... it looks and feels cheaply made. When you take off the head cover to expose the twin blades for cleaning, they also look fragile and you must hold them a certain way to brush them clean or you may damage them.
I don't know if the batteries are NiCad or NiMh. I hope they're the latter so they don't develop a "memory" that would eventually prevent a full recharge, but if that does happen, it can be used the old-fashioned way: with its cord.
It kinda' pisses me off that nobody seems to make a cordless razor with replaceable rechargable batteries! They all eventually stop taking a charge. I even had a cord/cordless one once that stopped working with the cord once the batteries failed! Jeez! Obviously, the manufacturers want you to throw it away when the batteries fail so you'll buy a new one.
Anyway (I'm rambling)... this is the best razor I've used in years, primarily because it's so powerful! It also shaves very close with very little irritation. I just hope it lasts!!
on March 10, 2005
I have been using this product for a number of years, and am just preparing to buy the third. I wore out the first two. After two other brands of rechargeable razors, plus many traditional razors and shave creams, the System 4000 just cuts my beard more closely than any other product. My wife does not get scratched from my tough beard stubble, and that is the final test. The charge holds for about 5 days, so on travel I carry the stand-up charger. The pop-up trimmer works great. My only concern is that Wahl may some day stop making electric razors then what would I do?
on May 18, 2005
I was glad to find the Wahl shaver at such a good price ($30). I have owned two previous Wahl shavers and was disappointed when I could no longer find them locally. It shaves fast and close with no irritation. The trimmer is better than most I have tried - I used two Remingtons and a Braun before finding the replacement Wahl on Amazon. I disagree with another reviewer about noise. It's quiter than either the Remington or Braun that I still have; but they have been used for a while and most shavers get noisier from continued use.

Since it comes with three heads - marked "close", "super close", and "sensitive", you can almost certainly find one that will work well with your face and beard. And if you're lucky, like me, all three will do a good job, so you're effectively getting two replacement heads for free. The "super close" is faster for me and not quite as comfortable as the "close" - my favorite. The "sensitive" is a little slower and doesn't shave quite as close unless you spend extra time going over areas with heavy beard.

I get four to six shaves on one charge, depending on how much time I spend shaving each use.

I do not think that the Wahl shaver is quite as durable as some others, but since it comes with a two-year warranty, you can count on two year's service. And hopefully when it finally wears out,you can find a new one at a good price. At the price of $30, which is about the price of two replacement heads for competing shavers, I've been considering buying another one for the future.
on May 6, 2010
A week ago I never would have thought I would write this review. First of all, I do not write reviews. Second of all, I like German products in general and have been mostly satisfied with the Braun electric razer I used until it broke. So, I was looking at buying the new Braun which costs $200.00 which I thought was a ridiculous price, so I took a 'flyer' on the Wahl. It's the best! I like it better than my Braun! I like the flexibility of the twin head foil/cutter of the Wahl much better and because of this, I get a closer shave, more quickly. With the Braun I would have to go over certain areas literally 4, 5, 6 times to really 'get it'. The Wahl sounds like a damn chain saw, because it has this sooped up American style car engine for a motor, but it shaves the closest of any electric razor and more quickly, than any I have ever used. God Bless good 'ole American engineering on this one! Okay, the plastic housing looks cheesy and non-sexy compared to the Braun, but the Wahl is a loyal lover who satisfies the most. You know, sometimes we Americans just get the job done. So, I am writing this review because I think this is the best product and for sure at the best price so I believe it's time to thank Wahl and for that matter, sincere and honest and solid American companies. I do not work for Wahl. I do not know anyone who does. I do not even know what State they are in and I do not care. Just keep up the good work!
on May 20, 2005
I had intended to buy one of the Remingtons until I researched these consumer evals, which were jammed with horror stories about them. One man suggested Wahl, which I had never heard of, and when he mentioned that it was the last American manufactured razor, that sealed the deal. It came with 3 differently gauged foils. The charging base was unassembled for some reason, which I quickly remedied with some model glue. The cleaning brush is utterly worthless; the fact that I use an old toothbrush says it all.

I have exceptionally bad luck with merchants, so of course, mine was the one that slipped through quality control and arrived with a misaligned grip. This did not affect its performance, which is first rate, and I suppose most men could just grin and bear it, but I returned it for replacement as my relationship with merchants is essentially a state of war. In summary, well worth the low price, in my opinion.
on July 7, 2012
Shaver's on/off switch is defective on the inside of the main casing. Once plugged in it starts and stops intermittently. Also, it will not charge its battery at all. None of this is the seller's fault.

Guess I'll try the Braun product instead if going to the trouble of sending the defective shaver back to the manufacturer.
on August 13, 2007
Before this shaver I had a Wahl 4400 for 6-7 years. Loved everthing about it. The charger ended up going bad and I thought it was the shaver. Oh well. The 4400 still works great with the charger from the new one. So I ordered the new one and it shaves great too. However, the trimmer part sucks. I think the blades are too far apart and not sharp so it grabs hair and skin. The trimmer is pretty much unuseable. I use the trimmer on the old 4400. I would not recommend this shaver is you use a trimmer at all.
on September 27, 2005
This is a very good and efficient shaver. This is a replacement for another Wahl shaver that I wore out over the years. Since I was sent TWO of them, having ordered ONE but was charged for two, I have a spare if anyone is interested. With three different shaving screens, it will deliver a shave for any type beard. Lloyd Woolley
on July 9, 2010
AFTER READING ALL THE GOOD REVIEWS ON THIS WAHL SHAVER I DECEIDED TO BUY ONE ON 6-9-2010. THREE WEEKS LATER THE ATTACHED TRIMMER LITERALLY FELL APART. I CONTACTED AMAZON AND THEY IMMEDIATELY SENT ME A REPLACEMENT. AFTER LESS THEN ONE WEEK OF USING THE NEW REPLACEMENT THE SHUT OFF SWITCH DIDN'T WORK. THE ONLY WAY IT WOULD SHUT OFF WAS BY LETTING THE BATTERY RUN OUT. WITH TWO WAHL SHAVERS GOING BAD IN LESS THEN A MONTH, THERE WON'T BE A THIRD. I'M RECEIVING A FULL REFUND AS OF 7-9-2010. ALSO TAKE NOTE THAT "AMAZON SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT THOUGHOUT THESE PROBLEMS AND AMAZON WAS WHO I BOUGHT IT THOUGH". ALSO TAKE NOTE, I CONTACTED WAHL AND FOUND THEIR COMPANY LACKING AMAZON SERVICE.