5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the pros... I think...
Published on May 1, 2007 by S. Rogan

2.0 out of 5 stars Average model, "Deluxe Chrome Pro" misleading
The unit arrived in good shape with all included items. While this offering by Wahl does have a few more included items overall its the same Wahl trimmer that can be had at around $20 here on Amazon and at most discount stores. The 'powerful' motor sounds and acts exactly like a $20 model we have had for a year.

If you are looking for a more robust or capable...
Published on July 30, 2008 by A. Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the pros... I think..., May 1, 2007
S. Rogan "Web Hunter" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wahl 79524-1001 Deluxe Chrome Pro with Multi-Cut Clipper & Trimmer, 27 Pieces (Health and Beauty)
I have been through three of the 'rechargeable' trimmer/clippers over the last few years. They work well in the beginning, but the power, which leaves you wanting to begin with, fades over time with cycling of the battery and eventually they die. As expensive as the good ones are ($40-$90), it is cost prohibitive to repair them, so they get chucked into the trash and a new one is purchased. I was tired of throwing my money away and for years I have admired the heavy duty looking trimmers I have always (and I mean forever) seen used by hair professionals. They look like they are indestructible. I also equated the quality with cost and assumed that as a tool of a trade they would demand a steep fee to acquire one.

Well whaddaya know? The Wahl is a very similar version and it is half the price of the rechargeables... it works better, smoother and with less effort.... comes with a veritable toolchest of attachments including some combs, a scissors and would you believe it even has a bib wrap to cover the shoulders of a client! Heavy? yup... and it feels like it will last forever. Vibration? Absolutely, just like the ones my barber uses.

Want something that will do the job... every time? This item is a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, Quality trimmer, October 30, 2007
I have now used the clippers a couple of times and can say that they are a great product. It was very sturdy in my hand and felt like a professional quality trimmer. There was no jamming or binding of the clippers - it glided through my hair with no problems (although I do have fairly thin hair, hence I cut it very short). I only used the trimmer and not any of the attachments - I cut my hair very short using the blade only and no length guide - so I can't comment on those. However, I must agree with other posters that the case could use some work - all of the pieces pretty much fly around loose in the case and there really isn't a good way to store everthing. Wahl should have designed the case differently, so that there would be a place to put each accessory (kind of like how a CD binder works). Again, this doesn't affect me much since I don't use the attachments. I highly recommend these clippers and would recommend to a friend in the market for doing their own trimming at home.

July 2008 Update: Still using these clippers every week to keep the close cropped look and they work great. Just brush them off and oil the blades with the included brush and oil after each use and put them back in the drawer. I'm able to get the whole head in about 5-10 minutes. I just clip in the shower stall before I shower, scoop up the cut hair and wash the rest down the drain. And the included mini-clipper is great for getting a very close cut on the back of the neck and sideburns. It isn't meant for much more than that, but does a great job - I use it about 1-2x a month and haven't had to change the battery yet (8 months later).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Very Complete Set, November 13, 2007
I began cutting my hair about a year ago and was using my old oster from costco that was maybe 5-7 years old. I had a lot of broken guards and the blades were starting to make a lot of noise. I did some research and found these to be a decent set for the price. It has so many guards and the clipper itself cuts really solidly. I like the extra trimmer to cut the sideburns. I cut my hair every 2 or 3 weeks now and have no worries that it isnt cutting evenly. If it does cut unevenly its my fault! Overall im very satisfied and would buy it again. Amazon was even cheaper than walmart for me when i check the prices. Go do some shopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wahl of China, December 9, 2007
(This first paragraph was added on 12-30-2008) As an opening note - the clippers are actually made right here in the USA and not China. Sure there are a few Chinese parts in the kit but by and large it's American! I could change the title to, "Great Wahl of Sterling, Illinois" but that doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue - y'know? Now on to the original review in its entirety and totally commercial free:

For the past several months I have been contemplating taking matters into my own hands and just shaving my noggin at home and saving a trip to the barber/salon/blood letter. After consulting with friends and colleagues and with my own experience with the brand I settled on a Wahl trimmer. Once my decision was made I guided myself to Amazon to start the search. After looking at the different kits and options I settled on the Deluxe Chrome kit with 27 pieces. I don't know about you but when I see the words 'Deluxe' and 'Chrome' in the same sentence you have my undivided attention.

I ordered-up the kit and thanks to some technical wizardry and a dash of PRIME the clippers arrived in 2-days. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up the box to find a nice black zippered case complete with the clippers, the smaller clippers (for neckline, sideburns, etc.), a plethora of guards ranging from the cue-ball to 1" in length, over-the-ear trimmer guides (left and right), an eyebrow guide as well as combs, scissors, a hand-held mirror, a drape and clip, clipper blade oil and a brush for keeping the unit clean and in tip-top shape.

So I decided on an appropriate guard and clipped it onto the clippers. There is a good snug fit which is met with an audible 'click' assuring you that the clipper guard is properly set. I then stretched out the amply long cord (maybe 6 feet long??) and plugged in the clippers. I clicked on the unit fully expecting something quite loud. Happily I was wrong. These clippers are extremely quiet and very stable and steady in your hands.

Now the real fun. I started buzzing into my hair like a crazed minnow farmer (?) watching my trimmed locks falling into the tub.

NOTE: I did this while seated in our large garden tub... there was NO WATER in the tub but I thought this would be a good place for a haircut as the clean-up would be a snap.

So I worked the clippers through my hair going from back to front; front to back; then side to side until the desired effect was achieved. My Bride and our two angelic cherubs soon made an appearance to see just what Daddy was doing. Happily my wife totally approved of the look, the cut and the cleanliness of the finished product. My Bride took the smaller clippers, plopped-in an AA battery and did a bang-up job cleaning up my neck area as well as around my ears.

Clean-up was a snap. I just took off the guard, used the included brush and cleaned off all of the trimmer heads. After cleaning-up I packed everything away in the black case and was readying myself to hop out of the tub. My Bride had brought in our Dyson (sidebar: if you've never used a Dyson vacuum you are missing out on one of the finer pleasures on earth) which made quick work of sucking up my hair out of the tub. Our girls enjoyed watching Daddy's hair swirling in the clear Dyson canister. They are easily amused.

Bottom line - the Wahl trimmer/clipper is a great tool, quiet and efficient and priced better than I could find locally.

Oh - and by the time I cut my hair with this twice - it's paid for!

(Edited on 12-30-2008 to add:) I have owned these clippers for approximately 388 days (or for you stats geeks out there):

* 33,523,200 seconds
* 558,720 minutes
* 9312 hours
* 55 weeks (rounded down)

and it's been nothing but a great experience. If I were to hazard a guess I have used them 9 or 10 times so they are WELL paid for. The unit operates as it did fresh out of the box, the cut is still great and nothing has been pitched aside or thrown away... except for my cut off hair, of course. I've not used all of the guards but have settled on a few 'go to guards' that made the cut with me (pun).

All in all I still stand by my original assessment of the clippers and would buy them again knowing what I now know. Great item. Great investment. Great ROI (Return On Investment).

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding price, May 9, 2007
Sandra L. Nelson (sacramento,ca USA) - See all my reviews
Great for the price, and the little battery operated trimmer is fantastic. I am a licensed cosmetologist who cuts childrens hair, and the size and versitility of the small trimmers are worth it's weight in gold.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average model, "Deluxe Chrome Pro" misleading, July 30, 2008
A. Keller "A Keller" (Oklahoma City, OK, USA) - See all my reviews

If you are looking for a more robust or capable model by Wahl this is not the one you will want to purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, February 6, 2009
Rob (Bronx, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I used to get my hair cut once every 2-3 weeks, at over 15$ per cut with tip. I'm so mad at myself for not buying one of these sooner. I did 2 trial runs with my brother-in-law's version from another company and ironed out all the kinks in my tactic, and now on the third try with my own, I'm practically a pro.

This unit feels and functions just like a real barbershop buzzer. Very sturdy but not overly heavy. I had no problem 1 handing it behind my head and I'm no bodybuilder! The main cutting plate is solid steel and when you turn it on, it really makes the same hard CLUNK sound that the professional ones do.

Buzzing the sides and back with a #2, the hair clumped together in balls that I easily slide into the sink, so it didn't get all over the bathroom. Remember to gather all this hair with a tissue and throw away at the end! or your sink will be clogged in no time.

I've only owned it a week and used it once so I can't comment on it's longevity, but I have a feeling this purchase will definitely pay for itself a few hundred times over before it dies.

This package btw is the same as the more expensive one listed here but comes with the attachments and it's cheaper! I haven't tried the little extra guy that comes with it though.

Also as a side note, it comes with all number buzzer levels up to 8! I didn't even know they made an 8. So after I was done with my sides, I used that one on the top of my head and it gave just the right amount of trim so that I didn't even have to use a scissor on the top. Its easily still about a 1-1.5 inches long up there.

Definitely get this unit and stop paying for haircuts!

4.0 out of 5 stars Z. Hughes, May 14, 2007
The Pros:This iteam is great. The Wahl Deluxe Chrome Pro clipper feel great. It have an ergonomic feel to it. The carring case is nice and compact. It has pockets and storage spaces for all 27 pieces. It should be enough to cut any style hair.

The Cons: The Batter operated trimmer Goes throuh batteries like crazy.

Currently I'm in Iraq and with the conversion my clippers are extreamly loud when i cutting my hair. I dont know if its a conversion problem from 220v to 110v.

Over all I am satified with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product; just like going to the barber!, January 10, 2008
Gamearts (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
The Wahl Chrome Pro is really good value for the money. The clipper does vibrate but it's very easy to get used to it. As for the noise level, it's EXACTLY the same noise level as any regular barbershop's own tools. I just got done shaving my hair off after attempting to do my own haircut (with a regular pair of scissors -- lesson learned) and the Wahl Chrome Pro saved me a rescue trip to the barber shop. The result is exactly the same as I would have gotten at the barber shop except my ends around the ears and back of my head aren't perfect, as it's hard to do those areas when you're cutting your own hair by yourself.

You'll be able to cut 1" or lower of your hair using the various clip-ons that are provided. Also the clipper operates through electricity, so you'll need an outlet nearby (it's wired). Though it's not wireless, I'm glad it's like this because I don't want to spend extra money for batteries. The trimmer operates on a AA battery. The scissors that come with it look exactly like the ones my barber shop use (but just a tad smaller). I like that it comes with the mini spray bottle so you can dampen your hair easily without pouring water all over your hair with your hands.

I was surprised that some of the items were actually Made in the USA. The clipper and one of the combs were both made in the USA.

Make sure you have a good area to work with because clean up can be a pain with all that hair falling down. Washing the clippers was very fast and simple. The clipper itself was a little tricky to clean as you don't want to mix water and electricity but it's manageable with Kleenex tissues.

Could the product be better? Of course. The case, while durable for cloth, could have been made hard for added durability. The provided mirror could have been bigger. They could have provided more clips (for greater than 1"). But all in all, the product is great for the money. I would not hesitate in recommending the Wahl Chrome Pro to a friend.

I'll miss going to my local barbershop, but I won't miss spending all that money spent paying for haircuts and the agony of figuring out how much I need to tip someone for doing a job I could do at home!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but Not Great, February 1, 2010
Lorenzo K. Cates (Beverly Hills, CA, US) - See all my reviews
If you need a product to get a really close cut on African American hair, without tugs and pulls, this is not the product. It's not as close as other Wahl products, nor as sharp. But if you need the guides for various longer styles it should be great. I gave it to my dad for that reason. Also, the battery edger is basically a toy. If you really need a edger or trimer, you'd be better off buying a plug-in or rechargeable.