Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Waiter & Waitress and Wait Staff Training Handbook: A Complete Guide to the Proper Steps in Service for Food & Beverage Employees
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on June 15, 2006
Opening a dining establishment is complex. There are many different things that need to be taken into consideration from food costs to training of employees. For those who have never had a restaurant before, the training of employees could be a little intimidating, especially when it comes to those who interact with the customers and whose service could make or break the business, the wait staff. This book takes the bewilderment out of hiring and training these very important people.

The book is comprehensive and follows a logical pattern which eases the reader into the business almost effortlessly. It is an all inclusive book which details different jobs which make up the wait staff from hosting to bussing. Most of the book is centered on service of the tables though. It explains everything from how to set the table to presenting the check at the end of the meal.

There is a special section on how to deal with the youngest of the customers as well as important issues which the customer does not see such as side work and dealing with customer complaints and the difficult customer. There are even tips on laws that regulate the industry such as alcohol and IRS laws. As with any other job in the restaurant, safety and sanitation is also a very important part. Taking the complexity out of hiring and training of these employees is bound to help everyone out.
on January 9, 2011
I really wanted a book to be able to use as a course for people who work in my restaurant who have never sat down in a reasonable restaurant. In that respect it worked, it has all of the basic notions which have to be learned. I would have preferred that it was more class like, with ideas for practice sessions, exams, some kind of grading system, as obviously it is to improve the service in a restaurant by teaching the staff.
on May 4, 2015
While I am not in the restaurant business or intend to open an eatery, I found this book to be very comprehensive for any patron of a restaurant who wishes to know what a good restaurant is made of or what must be done to have a good restaurant. I ordered the book to answer one question: should a server ask to clear the empty dishes of a guest when the other guest (or guests) are still eating? I did not get a "Yes" or "No" answer, but by careful reading, I believe that the author would say "No". What do you say, and what is your authority for so saying?
on January 6, 2011
This was not particularly useful to me. It contained very rudimentary information, mostly common sense stuff. I was looking for a much more detailed description of high-end waitstaffing, or something more in-depth about the tricks of the trade. This was a very matter-of-fact, limited description of the work. It felt like something from a High School Guidance Councilor's office.
on March 4, 2014
I bought it to help me remember the service steps and help me create my own manual for my restaurant, I must say there are many fancy advices, but I guess the book tries to cover all steps of service , from the casual dinner to the really fancy 8 forks white gloves restaurant...
on July 21, 2007
This book covers all of the details that are so often left out while training waitstaff and associated restaurant employees. We use it extensively for initial training and reference.
on October 19, 2014
SHOULD BE REQUIRED FOR ALL SERVERS
on July 10, 2009
A good introductory book for F&B professional and those who are tinkering of getting in the F&B industry. [...]
on November 2, 2010
This is a very good product for the price I paid. Is helpfull in my job and to improve my skills.
on July 5, 2011
More then training it's a restaurant set up book. It could help to the ones who are starting from 0. For professionals I would not recomend.