4.0 out of 5 stars Devin The Dude takes us "To Tha X-Treme" for the 4th time.
Published on March 29, 2007 by J. Highsmith

3.0 out of 5 stars Inhale The Smoked Out Rhymes (Rating: 7 out of 10- -3.5 stars)
I really haven't been paying attention to Devin The Dude much. The only times I've heard him was on Dr. Dre's "F You" and on Scarface's "Sex Faces" and "In And Out". Dude can drop some nice rhymes judging from those two songs. I finally had a chance to check out his latest album "Waiting To Inhale" (I also purchased "To Tha X-Treme" and "Just Tryin' To Live" as...
Published on May 4, 2007 by Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars Devin The Dude takes us "To Tha X-Treme" for the 4th time., March 29, 2007
J. Highsmith (Mitchellville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
The 1st track that I ever heard Devin The Dude on was "F... Faces" which had Scarface teamed up with Too Short, Tela and also Devin The Dude from Face's 2 CD set entitled "My Homies". On the same "My Homies" set were 2 solo tracks from Devin entitled "Do What You Want" and "Boo Boo'n". I liked both of those tracks as well. Once I found out that Devin would be releasing his own solo CD entitled "The Dude", I knew that I would pick the CD up as soon as it was released. The title track was definitely my favorite song on the entire CD. I also enjoyed "Sticky Green" w/Scarface, "See What I Could Pull", "Don't Wait" w/DMG & Spice 1, and "Show 'Em w/K.B. Overall, "The Dude" was definitely a good CD. I later found out from people that I knew that followed Rap-A-Lot Records more that I did was that Devin The Dude was also on 2 group CDs: Odd Squad's "Fadanuf Fa Erybody", which was released in 1994 and Facemob's "The Other Side Of The Law" which was released in 1996. If anyone knows how to get their hands on the Odd Squad CD please let me know. Devin The Dude's 2nd solo CD "Just Trying To Live" was released in 2002 and to this date I feel that this is his best solo CD. Devin had appeared on a track entitled "F... You" with Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg on Dr. Dre's "Chronic 2001" CD. To repay the favor, Dr. Dre produced "It's A Shame" which I feel is Devin The Dude's best song ever. When you mix Devin's explicit tales of women, his favorite drug of choice and just strugglin' in the neighborhood with Dr. Dre's classic sound, it's hard to ever top a match like that. I still enjoyed tracks such as "Lacville '79" which even had a video to it, "Who's That Man, Momma", "Doobie Ashtray" which was produced by DJ Premier, "Just A Man" w/Raphael Saadiq, "Some Of 'Em w/Nas & Xzibit and the title track which featured Odd Squad. Devin's 3rd disc "To The X-Treme" was a little too extreme for me. I commend Devin for trying to experiment with other things, but he was at his best when he stuck to his same formula as he did with the stellar title track and on "The Funk" w/featured 8Ball from 8ball & MJG.

On the 4th go round, Devin The Dude is back to the way we love him best on "Waitin' To Inhale". He wastes no time setting the tone on the Odd Squad featured "She Want That Money". As Devin and his crew tell a funny tale of how a woman who is chasin' paper and is even willing to perform sexual favors in order to get it. Of course, they aren't having it and the song ends up being a humorous track. On the "Almighty Dollar", which is definitely one of the best beats on "Waitin' To Inhale", Devin tells another tale about being broke and trying to stretch the little bit of money that he has left to get what he can get. The song is hilarious as Devin tells how he tries to give a poor man a $1 and he says he doesn't want it and $3 would be better. "I Hope I Don't Get Sick Of This" has Devin talkin' of how he hopes that he doesn't get sick of the way he has his way with the opposite sex. This track will be nothing new to people who have listented to all of Devin's solo CDs. On "What A Job" Devin definitely has a change of pace to rest of the CD as the track features Snoop Dogg and Andre 3000. All 3 MCs tell us about the good and bad of having hip hop as an everyday job as most people just have a regular 9-5 and work 5 days a week. Chuck Heat definitely did a good job on the track and everyone comes through with a nice verse, especially Andre 3000. On the hilarious, "She Useta Be", Devin tells us about a girl that he was trying to have some fun with in high school that wouldn't give him the time of day back then. She was a cheerleader and nice looking back then and now she has gained 150 pounds and wants to give Devin the time of day now. This is another one of Devin's clever, humorous tales. On "Lil Girl Gone", Devin is joined by Lil Wayne and Bun B of UGK to tell a tale of how young women start out on the right path and for whatever reason, whether its their parents that fall on hard times or they just become victims of the streets, things just don't end up right for them. All of the rappers have nice verses especially Bun B who hits the subject right on the head. "No Longer Needed Here", is one laid back and smooth track. Devin is talking about a woman that he is with that is making excuses of why they can't be together and now she wants to just be by herself. More than likely, she is just listening to her friends on the sidelines that are unhappy with their situation and now they are trying to influence what she does. "Just Because" was a little too much for me. I can understand why Devin would want to make a song like this for a woman that broke his heart and rolled out on him. However, he takes things just a little too far with the things he says that he wants to do to his ex. "Cutcha' Up" is another hilarious track but I admit that I didn't know that he was talking about a plant until I read the reviews here on amazon. It did sound as if he was trying to pull a R Kelly but I now I understand the true meaning of the song.

The only tracks that would get the skip button for me would be "Nothin' To Roll With" which is almost as bad as "Party" from "To Tha X-Treme" and "Just Because" because of the subject matter. Overall, Devin The Dude has definitely made a better CD than "To Tha X-Treme". To his core fans, they will definitely enjoy "Waitin' To Inhale". However, Devin The Dude isn't for everybody. His explicit sexual tales and him always talking about his favorite drug of choice will get on some people's nerves. Also, if you don't like sexually explicit humor, you may not like him as well. However, I feel Devin is a nice change of pace to what most people perceive as Down South rap music and I have supported his CDs ever since "The Dude". If you liked "The Dude" and "Just Trying To Live" then you should also pick up "Waitin' To Inhale".

P.S. Also check Devin The Dude out on

Ranking Devin The Dude's Discography:

1) Just Trying Ta Live

2) The Dude

3) Waitin' To Inhale

4) To Tha X-Treme (It's not the title track's fault)

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh So Funky {4 Stars}, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
Devin may not be the quickest to release new product, but when he does drop, you can be sure that it's going to be that homegrown, smoked out funk. The production, though not as full as the production on To Tha X Treme, is still funky and laid back. The topic range hasn't changed much, but when you're talking about Devin, that's a good thing. Added to the routine topics are tracks like the disturbing yet incredibly laid back "Just Because" and "Lil' Girl Gone" which features Bun B. and Lil' Wayne. The former is a detailed description of what Devin would like to do to his ex and the latter is along the lines of Nas' "Black Girl Lost" and does just as well at reaching the listener with the point that they're trying to get across. There are a few guest appearances spread around the album (Andre 3000, Snoop Dogg, Lil' Wayne, Bun B. and a few others), but for the most part Devin stands on his own and hammers out dope material.

As far as skip material, there are only a few tracks here and there that don't grab the ears of this particular listener -- "She Want That Money", "No Longer Needed Here", and "I Hope I Don't Get Sick-A-This". They aren't bad songs, I just don't feel them personally. The rest of the album is all smooth sailing.

Waiting To Inhale is another dope release from one of the most overlooked artists (despite a small yet very loyal fanbase) to come out of the south. Longtime fans as well as newcomers should dig this. I find that this kind of funk is simply undeniable. I recommend adding this, as well as his other releases, to your music library.

Standout Tracks: Cutcha Up, Just Because, Lil' Girl Gone feat. Bun B & Lil' Wayne, What A Job feat. Snoop Dogg & Andre 3000 (My Favorite), Don't Wanna Be Alone, Almighty Dollar, She Useta Be, Somebody Else's Wife feat. 14K, and Broccoli & Cheese

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, very entertaining, April 30, 2007
LT Twalo "Luzh" (Johannesburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
I read a review that said that it is impossible to not be turned into an instant fan after listening to a Devin The Dude album and that is so true.

I have never heard any of this Dude's albums even though I always found his guest appearances funny. I decided to take a chance on his latest and I haven't been disappointed at all.

Lyrically Devin is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Its crazy how he can be funny even though he tackles some of the most over used subject matters. For example "She Useta Be" about a girl that was hot when she was young and put on a FEW pounds later on. Another is the Eminem influenced ode to killing his partner. Devin makes these topics fresh again.

Musically the album is very laid back defying the raunchy lyrical content but goes well with his lazy rap flow. Being independent Devin can ignore all rules regarding sampling and he really takes liberties with a wide range of samples which I cannot always place.

The album also scores because of Devin's ability to switch it up and take on more serious topics like on "Lil' Girl Lost" and "What A Job". Both tracks are definite highlights of the album.

Ultimately there is no need to be over analytical on this one, some will hate and some will love it, I just happen to be one of those that love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Much love for the Dude, April 10, 2008
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
If you're a Devin the Dude fan and liked "Waitin' to Inhale" you will love his latest release "Smoke Sessions Vol. 1". Fresh off his 15 year contract with Rap-A-Lot Records, Devin gives his fans his all on Smoke Sessions with his trademark relaxed and comedic approach to lyrics and rhyming. Smoke up with Dev.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4th solo from the dude is another good one, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
The dude is back after 3 years with his 4th solo album, and yet another 4 star release (his debut I'd give 4.5 and and his other 2 are borderline 4/4.5 stars). One again you get a lot of funny stories in his signature voice and sound effects about women, sex, w*ed and Budweiser over some laid back funky relaxing beats. The formual hasn't changed in the past 10 years and why change what people like and what you;re good at. Like another reviewer said, not as good possibly as his past works, but still a solid album. With 14 songs, you get 10 good ones, 3 are ok and 1 I skip over. Guests are on a few songs (6 of the 14), but you still get a good amount of the Dude. Production is nice and like I said before, laid back, relaxiung and funky. Domo does 5 songs, Chuck Heat and Devin each do 2, Picnic, Davey D, Sendar, Mike Dean, and Rob Quest all do 1 song. A great album to have for his fans and fans of a different non-annnoying non-radio friendly artist.

#2 - 8.5 (f/ Odd Squad & Lester tone -- dirty sogn)
#3 - 8.5 (nice beat)
#4 - 9 (another dirty song)
#5 - 8 (f/ Snoop Dogg & andre 3000)
#6 - 9 (one of those goofy and funny Devin songs about his 3rd leg)
#8 - 9 (funny one about a girl he used to holler at that wants him now but she gained 150 lbs.)
#9 - 9 (f/ Lil Wayne, Bun B, Tony Mack -- about a young, lost girl)
#10 - 7 (f/ 14K ?)
#11 - 9 (relaxing beat and funny stories about killin his ex who screwed him over)
#12 - 6 (really the only one I don't like too much -- another very relaxing beat)
#13 - 8 (14K -- Devin only does the hook -- about someone elses wife)
#15 - 8.5 (another funny one about a girl (plant) who he can't wait to come of age)
#16 - 8(a short one about having nothin' to roll up with)}
#17 - 7 (f/ Odd Squad -- another smokin song)

Devin Copeland -- b. 1974 -- b. Florida moved to Houston, TX
check all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Job., March 20, 2007
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
Devin The Dude is possibly the most underrated emcee in the industry. While Devin has a very devoted fanbase, he's not nearly as heralded as some of his underground contemporaries; something that, to this day, makes little sense to me. Devin's down with everyone from Hi-Tek and Talib Kweli to Nas, Dr. Dre, Xzibit, and Snoop Dogg; he also hails from one of the new hotspots in hip-hop, Houston. So why doesn't Devin get the same exposure as a Paul Wall or a Chamillionaire? No disrespect to either of those artists, as I'm a large fan of both, but there's no doubt that Devin is just as talented as those two are; most likely more.

When your first single features Bun B and Lil' Wayne, and your second features Snoop Dogg and Andre 3000(who seriously needs to release a TRUE solo hip-hop album, instead of wasting his obvious talents on mediocre projects like The Love Below, his half of Idlewild, and remixes), with production from Dr. Dre to boost, you'd think you would have the recipe for a platinum(well, maybe gold in this day and age) album. Though it's far too early to know how well this album will fair on charts, I don't see it doing remarkably well, with virtually no promotion, and an overlooked emcee. While sales don't mean anything in terms of artistic merit, it's certainly a shame that an album as well-crafted as Waitin' To Inhale won't top Billboard like it should.

It's funny that Devin doesn't move as many units as he should, though, when he has the attributes that appeal to just as many backpackers as they do MTV sheep. Devin's spitting personal, real-life verses on this album, but he spits it with a touch of pimping that few artists can successfully pull off. His laid back approach to hip-hop is in vein to both Snoop Dogg and OutKast's, and he's equally adapt lyrically. Also, much like 50 Cent and Chamillionaire would after him, Devin has a thing for crooning his own choruses; unlike the former, albeit much like the latter, Devin still sounds as smooth as ever when he's singing his hooks. Maybe Devin's too laid back? In an era where crunk, snap, and hyphy dominate the airwaves, Devin's chill style may not get the airplay it deserves, but perhaps, that makes it all the more rewarding for those of us up on The Dude.

Being one of the most consistent rappers coming out of the South(OutKast, T.I., and UGK are the only other rappers I can think of with four or more albums this dope), Devin undeniably delivers on his latest release, Waitin' To Inhale. Though it doesn't vary much in subject from The Dude, Tryin' Ta Live, and To Tha X-Treme, Devin continues to release thoroughly pleasing albums from start to finish, and Waitin' to Inhale maybe his best produced effort yet. One of the best albums of 2007 thus far, hands down, and fans of Devin, new and old alike, will be positively pleased with it. Pick it up ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick, April 5, 2007
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
If you like laid back story-telling hip-hop then you will love this CD. Production is great, writing/lyrics even better. So roll one up, pop in this CD, and kick back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEVIN THE DUDE'S BIGGEST FAN!!!!!!!!!, June 21, 2007
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
DEVIN IS A GREAT RAPPER BUT WHO IS VERY UNDERRATED. I HAVE ALL OF HIS C.D. EVEN THOUGH HE DOSENT GET ALLOT A PLAY DOWN HERE IN JACKSONVILLE FLA. WAITIN TO EXHALE IS A GREAT AND FUNNY C.D. I WOULD RECOMMENED IT TO ANY ONE WHO LOVES DEVIN OR IS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NEW OR WHO JUST WANTS TO KNOW WHO THE DUDE IT. EVEN THOUGH IN MAGAZINES IT SAYS THIS IS DEVINS BEST CD YET I THINK THAT THE OTHER 3 WERE BETTER. TO THE XTREMM , JUST TRYIN TO LIV AND THE DUDE ARE OFF THE CHAIN. I WOULD JUST RECOMMENED EVERYBODY TO GET THE DEVIN THE DUDE C.D. HE MAKES U LAUGH, AND ALSO IT GREAT MUSIC TO SMOKE TO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Same thing!, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
Decent! Very well put together just like Devin does it! Nothing like putting one up listening to his music. I don't put it in the air anymore, but good imagining it!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT CD I LISTEN TO ALL THE TIME, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Waiting to Inhale (Audio CD)
EXCELLENT CD REAL TALK AND ONE OF THE BEST RAPPERS OUT. ITS A SHAME THAT RAPPERS LIKE THIS THAT ARE NOT MORE NOTICE IN THE INDUSTRY

Waitin' To Inhale [Explicit]