Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Waiting for Baby
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on December 6, 2005
This is, after all, a book about "Waiting." Excellent illustrations cover not being able to fit in Mommy's lap, doctor visits, buying things for Baby, helping Daddy so Mommy can rest, being left behind when Mommy goes to hospital, seeing new baby for the first time. Just wish there had been one more page about what to do with Baby after s/he is here. Very good book for child 18 mo. to 5 years.
11 comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2003
My 20-month old daughter loves this book, as do I. The illustrations are beautiful and allow you to tell the story however you choose (there is no text). It's a great way to personalize the "expecting a new baby" story. We talk about our doctor, our favorite toy store, our grandma coming to visit, ect. It's also fun to hear how Dad tells the story. A great book for toddlers who will soon be big brothers or sisters.
33 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2005
This is a picture book, no words, which is great for a family to create their own story. I would recommemd this book to anyone having a second child to prepare the first born for all that is ahead for mommy. I also purchased the sequel book "My new Baby" again wonderful my son always wants these books read to him. Hope any or all of this helped.
on November 3, 2006
I'm trying to get our almost 2 year old ready for her baby brother's arrival, and I found this series PERFECT. I especially liked a few things about this:

1. It shows mommy getting ultrasounds! How cool! Realistically, most of us are having ultrasounds nowadays, and Jordan loves to point at the picture of the ultrasound in the book and say, "Baby Sean!" She goes to my ultrasounds with me and I think it just seems more normal to her to see it in the book too.

2. There's no words! This is wonderful, because Jordan and I use the pictures in the book to make up our own story. We talk about what we see, and it allows her to use her imagination and let her percieve it in her own way without it being an already written story. The illustrations are lovely, bright and colorful, but not over the top.

3. The children in the books could be of either gender. Great!

I highly recommend this series to anyone with small children expecting a new sibling! Kudos on this!
on February 7, 2007
I just bought this book for my 2.5 year old. I appreciate the fact that there aren't words to the book. It gives me an opportunity to talk specifically about the situations as it applies to us, and not be constrained by a story.

I would have given it five stars except for the fact that there are two things I wish were different, I wish there were more distinct "belly" pictures of the mom. There are a couple, but she kind of just looks big to me. And second is the page with the child staying with (obviously) grandma and grandpa. We don't have family nearby, so he will be staying with friends. And additionally, if he was staying with grandma and grandpa - ours don't have white heads! The book could have just been a touch more versatile without the white haired couple.
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2015
Loved this book!! We read it everyday for several weeks before Novella's little sister arrived and I think it really helped prepare her (on her level) :-) She has been the best big sister ever!!
review image
on January 3, 2014
I am 7 months pregnant and trying to get my oldest used to the idea of being a big brother. I bought several books for christmas that talk about babies. I was really hoping this book would talk about that but the only thing it offers are questions. It is written from the perspective of a child and the only thing on the pages are questions. I know it is probably supposed to open a dialogure between you and your child but my son is 3- he is looking for a story not questions. I would return it, but it's too much of a hassle.
on May 11, 2003
I purchased this book to read to my 2 1/2 year old daughter as part of preparing her for an addition to the family. My daughter loves books and I enjoy reading them to her. The reading level is listed as Baby-Preschool and I was curious to see how the author would write about such a sensitve subject so that children of a young age would understand. To my surprise, I quickly realized that the "author" chose not to deal with the subject at all and the book consists only of pictures. While its easy enough for a parent to make up a story using the illustrations, there are so many other books out there that have illustrations AND pictures that I would suggest spending your money elsewhere. I also bought Our New Baby by Beth Atchison which I was very happy with. However, if you're considering buying that book please be advised that there are references to God, so if you're not a Christian it might not be for you.
33 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2005
This book is great because you can make a new story up every time since there are no words. My son likes it because it is all about him and his mommy and daddy and the new baby that is on the way.
on March 19, 2006
This book is a perfect tool for teaching my 22 month old about the upcoming arrival. With very descriptive pictures, he can understand what's happening. Yet, because there are no words, I can narrate to suit his learning ability.