5.0 out of 5 stars Smell the sweat, cigars and rum mingling in the salty air
Published on October 10, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good.... BUT......
Published on August 23, 2001 by Tere

5.0 out of 5 stars Smell the sweat, cigars and rum mingling in the salty air, October 10, 1998
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
I was transported back to 1993 when I went on a trip to Cuba in search of myself. I couldn't put the book down. I know all the characters Hunt encounters in Cuba. I can feel their warmth, touch there souls, I can smell them, even though I've never met them in person. Friends have asked me what Cuba is like. I always recommend "Waiting for Fidel." Cuba is a complex world, socially and politically. The Revolution instituted good and bad. Hunt discovers this through his travels and conveys it well. I won't tell you how the book ends ( I love the ending ).
Tomas Hernandez is a Television Producer in San Francisco. Born in Cuba he left in1960 when he was three. He was raised for most of his youth in Puerto Rico and the US East Coast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Hunt gives good, unbaised view of life in Cuba, February 4, 1999
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
While reading this, I was impressed how Hunt went about finding Fidel. While in Havana, he met several people who gave him good info and helped him get started on his journey. While trailing Castros revolutionary path, he becomes "Cubanised" by the people he meets along the way, gets a good view of Cuban life. Best of all, he learns and conveys valuable lessons that only an adventurer like him could. I like how he doesn't try to pass judgement, just simply report what he see's and does an outstanding job drawing things out for his readers.
An oustanding book for anyone wanting an unbaised look into Cuba.

4.0 out of 5 stars An insightful book about a very interesting place, January 14, 2000
gakkiman (Altadena, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
Anyone who spends time in Cuba has to wonder why the people put up with terrible economic hardships and total political oppression. One also wonders why Cubans are often very warm, friendly, and even generous, especially towards Americans. How can Castro remain in power when almost everyone you ask will say they have had enough of him? The author puts these questions and many others to the people of Cuba and their answers shed some much-needed light on the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good.... BUT......, August 23, 2001
Tere (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
I appreciated that this book was written by a regular person--that is, nonpolitical with no propaganda to try to sell us (none that I could ascertain). That said, I felt like Mr. Hunt, throughout his adventures in Cuba, was in some form of denial. Whatever he thinks of Castro's personality is his own business, but I found it disturbing that even though every single person he met (including those who were still "believers") admitted to how much harder life was because of Castro and his failed revolutionary experiment, he still managed to make statements like "Fidel has championed poverty." I would understand such ignorance from someone who's never been to Cuba, but from someone who met poverty at every corner? It's unforgiveable. I read the book out of curiousity to see what Cubans had to say, and in that aspect I was not surprised. Hunt does a good job by letting them speak for themselves, and some of his interpretations are pretty insightful. I thought he was on the mark when he described the creativity and strong spirit generally possessed by Cubans, as well as their generousity. But I am not convinced that he looked very deeply. In his shoes it's easy to be optimistic and admire Castro, but I think he did the Cubans he met little service by second-guessing their opinions of their country's situation. I suspect that his perception of how "good" things are in Cuba has a lot to do with his lack of knowledge of what Cuba was like before 1959. In terms of poverty and human rights that may have been bad, but this is worse. What an error in judgement to think that a charismatic leader equals a good one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing the beat!, February 24, 2001
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
The premise starts off hopefully enough as the author sets out, ostensibly to find Fidel, but as you read, you realize this is an insincere focus that Hunt makes no attempt to bring to fruition. The author seems to be floundering without purpose. Worse, he seems incapable of analyzing or understanding what he experienced or witnessed in Cuba, so that the reader comes away with only the flimsiest sense of 'the Cuban experience.' Where is the sensuality; the tension; the sense of Alice in Wonderland duality that makes Cuba so engaging? Hunt's drab writing style doesn't help. I struggled to finish the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, November 13, 2002
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
Like other reviewers, I struggled at times with this book. It's easy reading, but drags in the middle by getting bogged down in historical recounting. Having said that, you do get a sense of what it is like to live in Cuba, so I definitely think it is worthwhile to push through this one. I also wish Hunt had been less innocent and made different choices at times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, similiar to Trading with the Enemy, June 26, 1998
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
Having read Trading with the Enemy, I read this book during an extended trip to Mexico. Enjoyed reading the book but a little redundant after reading Trading with the Enemy. Both are accounts of journalists' travels and impressions of Cuba. The writers travelled the entire length of the island and saw Cuban life through the eyes of people from all socio-economic classes and occupations so you get a good picture but also cynical perspective of Cuba. Fast read, recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Viva Cuba, March 28, 2001
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
I found Waiting for Fidel to be informative and humorous. This is great "light reading" about Cuban life. I enjoyed how the author shared his experiences with everyday Cubans. Also the fact that he didn't travel in Cuba as a regular tourist would , but as an everyday citizen. I would have gave the book 5 stars , but the author was too clean-cut for my taste and if he had more "close calls" or hair raising stories. Overall: Buy the Book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Suggested Reading, July 12, 1998
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
As an American Cuban who has never been to the island this was a cool look at contemporay Cuba. Having extened family there it gave me insight as I also am a psychotherapist working with folks who have recently left the island. Any one interested in the island should read this book. Light on the history facts but thought provoking.It does not frustrate you with historical facts--easy read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read before you visit, February 10, 2014
Ann M. (Southeastern Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Fidel (Paperback)
I think this would be a good pre travel read for anyone visiting Cuba from America. As a travel memoir it was a bit slow paced and towards the end you realize that not much happens or is happening, which may be the point but it's not a page turner. I found the insight into Cuban life interesting and Hunt's accounts of his interaction with the Cuban people felt authentic and deeper then most Americans would experience over there, particularly if you are part of an organized tour. I think it would be great to read this before a trip to the island.

Waiting for Fidel
Waiting for Fidel by Christopher Hunt (Audio Cassette - March 1, 1999)
$56.95 $34.36