5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant recording in both sound quality and content
Published on April 12, 2003 by Thomas W. Sears

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
I had high hopes for this cd. It wasn't quite what I had expected however it is definitely a cd to add to the collection.
Published on October 22, 2009 by I. Sherman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant recording in both sound quality and content, April 12, 2003
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
Of the nearly 1000 CDs that I own, this one would absolutely make the short list of those that I consider indispensable. While both this CD and Benoit's "Letter to Evan" are tribute albums to jazz piano player Bill Evans, both go much further than than the typical tribute album. It should also be mentioned that these two albums are somewhat a-typical from most of Benoit's other more 'pop'-ish smooth jazz recordings in they are more jazz-quartet oriented.
Both musical content and recording quality of this album are first rate. Put this CD in the most [costly] stereo system that you have access to and you will certainly be rewarded with exquisite details not generally found on (surprisingly) many recordings. Several of my friends and family have purchased this CD after hearing (or borrowing) my copy.
Things to listen for on this album include drummer Peter Erskine's marvelous brush work, guitarist Emily Remler's tone, and the overall rich piano sound. All of the musicians on this album are 1st rate and they gel together nicely on this outing.
My favorite tracks are "Waiting for Spring", "Cabin Fever" (which absolutely burns), "Funkallero", and "Cat on a Windowsill".
I hope that you get as much enjoyment out of this CD as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best albums!, October 5, 1999
Random Coolzip "Random Coolzip" (Las Vegas, NEVADA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
I asked my wife to buy me any Benoit album for Christmas 10 years ago. I had heard a couple of songs but jazz was a new music to me. She picked out this album at random and it has been my favorite since. I have not found any other of his albums as good as this. This quartet he has here is soooo tight. When feeling low I break out this CD and am instantly cheered up. If anyone knows one of his albums that is similar to this please let me know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indescribable., February 23, 2000
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
If my love for this treasure was an ocean, you'd have to take 5 airplanes 2 get across it. I practically worship this cd- It is the best piano album I ever bought. Period. I've listened to it 5 million times in the 4 months I've had it, and I am not ONE BIT tired of it. It's so relaxing, perfect to fall asleep too, and when I really am waiting for spring, this cd almost never leaves my player. This cd has a variety of piano songs- There are medium paced ones like the title track and Cast Your Fate to the Wind, there are slow, sad songs like After the Snow Falls, and great up-beat songs like Cat on a Windowsill. Great music, great cd, great pianist- enough said. I recommend it to any music lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, October 26, 2005
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
I was "introduced" to Benoit's work through the Peanuts specials (he took over the music on most of them after Vince Guaraldi's untimely death). I got this CD with no clear anticipation of anything, but after listening to it I became enthralled with it. Every song on it is just so perfect.

I still like Benoit, and have purchased several other CDs of his, but this one will always be my favorite. Maybe it's the picture on the front, but I especially enjoy listening to this one on a cold day!

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing sound, May 18, 1999
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
Upon first listen, one may initially conclude that Benoit's work here is no deeper than "elevator" music. Upon closer listening, one finds that there are endless subtleties to this ensembles performance of new and classic tunes. The sound (aided by the quality digital recording)is clear, crisp and tight. Solos are excellent and occasionally brilliant: Remler's un-adorned tone and eloquent, simple phraseology make for a wonderful combination; Benoit's technical proficiency seem to lead him towards numerous marvelously executed scales, but when he escapes this "home base," his sense of clever rhythmic structures is manifest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasteful, articulate, thoroughly enjoyable. It works!, April 30, 1999
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
This was the first Benoit CD purchase for me, and to date it is the best. It apparently is not typical Benoit. I listen to this CD two or three times a week, and it only gets better. I believe it's the best that Emily Remler (guitar) has done also. John Patitucci always seems to be at his best, and Luther Hughes' contribution here is enormous. What fine musicianship, artistry, and soul they all demonstrate.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Benoit's Best, August 24, 2005
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
I consider this album to be one of David Benoit's best. There's a more jazzy feel to this album than his other titles because of the performance of his guest artists, which includes John Patitucci.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Benoit cd I have by far!, November 16, 1999
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
This is one of the best cds in my collection. It's filled with 12 tracks of great piano music, perfect for any jazz lover. Also good to listen to when you're tired of winter and want spring to come. The best tracks are Cast Your Fate, After the Snow Falls, and Fireside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Touch.... Fabulous Music, December 14, 1998
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
David Benoit has one of the best touches on a piano in the modern jazz world. He is able to evoke deep feeling, or light and airy like no one. Take for example, "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" He definately feels the music as it was intended to be felt. A must have for every smooth jazz fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, August 29, 1999
This review is from: Waiting for Spring (Audio CD)
I love this album! I've listened to it hundreds of times, and I never get tired of it!

Waiting For Spring