Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews (1 star)show all reviews
on May 15, 2007
Format: Hardcover
Have you ever seen a movie, when you see & wait that something gonna happen and it never happens till the end? That's the "Waiting for you cat to bark?" is about.

There are lots of the background information - ideas and developments of Hippocrates, Myers-Briggs, Freeman, Frank Lloyd Wright and Sir Tim Berners-Lee; BMW ,Best Buy and other big companies marketing experiences; left brain and right brain responsibilities, etc. etc.

There are lots of well known ideas, like think about your customers, see your business from your customers point of view, provide good service, provide relevant information, measure a campaign effect etc. etc.

There are lots of marketing complexity examples, that make you feel like "oh my God, who can get all this"?

I tried my best to follow the line and split potential clients into smaller groups I may treat in a very special way, according to the book advices. The only point is the book does not give any practical idea about all those ideas implementation. Not a single one! There is nothing you can do coming back to your office after reading this book.

What it has? Plenty of "we do this" and "persuasion architecture". This book is one big advertisement you paid for. We developed, we understand, we compared, according to our experience, persuasion architecture we've invented, etc. etc and it's endless!

The only conclusion a reader is suppose to do according to authors is to admire persuasion architecture, realize that just genius can deal with this and apply to Future Now to let those sophisticated guys to do their job! Don't get me wrong, there is a good chance Future Now people know how to make you reach and can help you out, but I would not recommend to buy the printed ad and spend time on reading.

I'll give a chance to "Call to Action" I purchased together with "Waiting for you cat to bark?". I truly hope I can find something useful there and if not, sorry Bryan and Jefferey, your books are out of my book shelf.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2006
Format: Hardcover
I found the book another rehash of the same theme: customers aren't all the same, so you can't just push advertising at them anymore. Okay, okay, we know that already.

The authors seem enamored with complex and unnecessary terminology, which I found tedious. the book is full of terms like "persuasion architecture," "business topology," "modalities," and "personas," to name a few. I guess the more jargon you can use, the more you can charge. If that is what you are looking for, then it's a great book.

Remember geometry class and all those tedious proofs you had to go through, step by step. I could intuit the answers so had little patience for proofs. That's what this book reminded me of. In all it seemed to me to be an overly complex paint-by-numbers approach. Even so, it just *approaches* the subject but never really gets there. You can identify all the modalities and develop all the personas you want, but without the creavity to turn that information into compelling marketing, it doesn't help anything except the consultants' bottom lines.

I kept expecting the "real meat" of the book to come, but it never did for me. Perhaps it's because I'm already knowledgeable on the subject. With such a clever title, I hoped there might be some nuggets, but I found none. Some good ways to explain some issues to clients, but that's about it.
on July 28, 2007
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Nearly every business book has at least one or two good ideas. However, every so often you get a book that's really just a piece of what's often called Spiral Marketing. Sprial Marketing is a technique in which you use a book, pamphlet, website or other low-cost entry point to capture an initial group of customers. Although you make some profit on the initial entry point, the main goal of that entry is to get you to purchase the next level, usually a set of videos or seminar. There is profit built into this second level as well, but even that's just a front to capture the big fish into longer term consulting. This book contains a smattering of theories, concepts and ideas (most of which are lifted from other sources such as Maslow, MBTI and general advertisting), accompanied by some professional looking illustrations. You have to admire the way it is able to continually flirt with the answers while never quite giving them away - you'll have to commit to the $150 consulting fees for that. And if you are interested in the consulting, I'll save you some money on that as well. Judging from the almost immediate mentions of Yahoo keywords, the foreward from a Yahoo executive and the $50 credit towards the service I'm guessing Yahoo keywords is pretty much the heart of what they call "Persuasion Architecture."
Format: Hardcover
I read 25-30 business books per year (sometimes more, sometimes a bit less) and this book couldn't hold my attention. It is the poster child for "You can't judge a book by its cover." I tried to read it several times and kept putting it down. I finally pushed past the pain and got through it but it was not pretty...It is written very poorly - garbled and stuffer material that just rambled on and on in an endless stream of confusing consciousness. Believe me, I read a lot. If a business book can't hold my attention as bad as this one, it's pretty bad. I would rate this hands down as the worse business book I ever read. Honestly...If you buy it, good luck. In fact, buy a version in a different language. The result is the same.
on November 14, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The Book has really an intriguing catchy Title, however it doesn't deliver on the Promises. There are a lot of very-complex-examples, and many well known ideas, but there are no Practical suggestions that you can implement after reading the book.

When I buy a Book, I like to learn new things and possibly to implement them back at the Office. The cover is visually seductive, and I found the Headline, really Appealing. But nothing more! Sorry!
on June 16, 2009
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This book was recommended to me by a few different people, and also came with a lot of hype by some business writers. Unfortunately, I found nothing new in this book. I'm not sure why it was written other than to promote the marketing consulting work of the authors, but that in itself is not reason to write a book.

This book is a dog....you're much better off not making this purrrrrrchase. (Get it, I used both a reference to a dog and a cat in my review, because the authors think a clever title is really important to sell their book, which they are correct since their content wasn't clever in itself. I can be clever, too.)