Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OK to Wake! Children's Alarm Clock & Night-Light
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 29, 2014
This product has saved my life. My daughter (22 months) has been a terrible sleeper since birth. First I could never put her down (so I slept sitting up), then when I finally got her in a crib, she would wake up multiple times a night. Even when she started sleeping more steadily, she would wake up at 4AM. Everyday. Sometimes earlier. And she wouldn't just wake up and chill by herself - she would immediately start crying, wanting me to come get her. I would cry out of exhaustion. I looked up ideas online to get her to stay in her crib for longer, and I found this! Thank GOD. I'm not even joking, it took her about a week to understand what the light meant, and now she stays asleep until 5:30, when I have the light set for. She usually wakes up earlier than that, but I watch her on the monitor, and she just peeks over at the clock, sees its not lit, and lies back down again. And when it does light up, she just stands there, calmly waiting for me to come get her. AMAZING. This is literally groundbreaking for us. I figured someone else might be able to relate to my story, and invest in this amazing product too. You won't be sorry.
22 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2010
I bought this clock for my 2 1/2 year old because she gets up at odd hours and I wanted a visual clue to tell her when it was OK to get up. That part works. However, my 4-year-old son has the "Teach Me Time" clock by this same company, and it offers the same functionality and SO MUCH MORE.

The things wrong with this clock are:
-- No plug-in option, so when the batteries fade so does its usefulness.
-- The nightlight is not very bright and it turns off quickly ... this is true of the Teach Me Time clock, but when plugged in it is not an issue for whatever reason.
-- The time part is not illuminated, so while my daughter can tell it is OK to get up, she can't see what time it is. After being used to her brother's clock, this disappoints both of them.

I only bought this clock because the other one was sold out everywhere. While it does the sleep job, I was overall disappointed and would tell any prospective buyers to go for the other option if available.
55 comments|769 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2015
I was so hesitant to buy this because of the negative reviews (and the price)- but I'm really REALLY glad I did get it. So how it works is, you can set the time, and can also set the time of the morning that you'd like it to turn green (indicating to your child that it's now OK to get up). This feature can be used, or not. You can also decide how LONG you want it to stay green (mine is set to an hour) but you can shut the green light off when your child gets up by tapping the foot. There is also an alarm feature, which we don't use but I tested. The alarm is perfect for a toddler, nothing to loud or startling. At night you can press the foot and put on the orange night light, that feature has 3 levels of dimness, and can also be set to stay on for a certain amount of time (mine is set also to an hour, on the most dim setting). So my son loves a dark room and his windows are pretty much blacked out lol but he has taken a liking to his orange light being on as he's falling asleep at night. It's good that it shuts off, because he likes it dark if he wakes up. I do believe the light has the ability to stay on all night but I don't remember 100%. When the green light comes on (at 8am in our house!) there is a cute smile face that comes on the screen. The whole thing is really cute looking actually! All the buttons to set the time and everything are in the back, large enough to understand and see well. It's really easy to set up, I can't imagine anyone having trouble with it. There is also a nap feature that you can set, so if your child is going to nap you can set the green light to go on in an hour or two, etc. The alarm can be used with the green light, if you so choose.

Overall I am very pleased with this clock. Two things go take notice on: it runs on battery's, I plan to update how long our batteries last using it the way we do (orange light on for an hour at night, green light on for an hour at MOST in the a.m) so we will see how long that lasts. Being plugged in would be nice, however in our old house we hardly have any outlets so in that case I'm actually happy it's on battery's.

Also, I do think it's over priced. I almost took off a star for this BUT so far it has been working great, my 3.5 year old totally gets the concept and stays in bed until it turns green, so in that regard it's worth the money. But it feels kind of cheap and so this clock is off limits to my toddler as far as playing with it/touching it goes. I do believe if he handled it to much, dropped it, knocked it around, it could break or stop working. But even if it was a regular alarm clock I'd still not let him play with it because um hello he's 3 and he doesn't need to play with an alarm clock.

This clock is feature packed and I've recommended it to many people already!

UPDATE::
So I was interested to see how long he battery's would last and they just died this morning! So this was delivered to me in February 2015 and the batteries lasted until today, June 24, 2015 so about 4 months. This is with less expensive batteries (not name brand) and with consistent nightly use. I have the clock set so that I can put the nightlight on for 1 hour while my son falls asleep, and in the morning at 8:10 (we are late sleepers lol) his "okay to wake" light turns on and will stay on for 1 hour if need be. But I usually always go in and shut it off by 8:30. We don't use the alarm feature yet and it's not played with at all by my toddler. So! That's the battery life for this alarm clock for us and the way we use it. I'd say 6 months would be better, but you might get longer battery life if you don't use the night light feature at night, or for a shorter time, or if you use better batteries then we do.

I will say, I am still very impressed with this clock. It's so easy to grab, pack and take with us to Grammys or camping, it does it's job, it's cute and it's held up so far. Really love it!

Another battery life update:::
Its October 10th 2015 and the batteries from June 24th just died this morning. So again, almost 4 months. About 3.5 months this time but like I said, we use off brand batteries. Even the rayovac batteries seem to last at least a few weeks longer. This alarm does take 4AA batteries and we still use this clock nightly as stated above. I wouldn't mind a plug in feature but our house seriously lacks outlets so actually the battery on this doesn't bother me. For me it's easier to change batteries then find an outlet that will allow us to reach the top of his dresser where we keep it. Hope this helps!
on January 4, 2012
What this is perfect for: Kids too young to read a clock who don't sleep long enough.
What this is NOT: A nightlight.

Our 18 month old was getting up at 5 am or earlier. And her naps were 20mins long. We bought this clock and she figured it out on day one. That doesn't mean it didn't take a few days of putting her back to bed so she knew we were serious. (The worst is when there is only a couple mins to go, but consistency is the key!) She now naps (or plays quietly in her bed) at least and hour and a half and doesn't get up until her clock is green at 6am. And now that getting up at 6 and coming into my bed no longer means she is going back to sleep, I am pushing the time forward a little every day so she gets the rest she needs.

No, it's not bright. But the green is plenty bright enough for her to see WITHOUT waking her up. (The point is to let her know she CAN get up, not to wake her up. There is an alarm for waking her if she ever needed it.)

However, the "nightlight" is perfect for sneaking into her room to check on her. It's bright enough that I can make sure she is under the covers without waking her up.

We have had this for almost a year. It's only required 2 battery changes. If you try to leave the nightlight on, you will run the batteries down pretty quick. But I repeat, it's NOT a nightlight. (And they should stop marketing it as one. That might help the reviews.)

A few older reviews mention the feet don't turn off. This is not true of this clock. (Maybe it is of the plug in teaching version or maybe it's something they changed.)

I do agree it might be nice if the clock was backlit, but since DD is too young to read the clock, that's really more for me. Once she can/wants to read a clock, she won't need a green light to tell her she can get up.
22 comments|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
Conceptually, this is a great idea. We recently took the door knob cover off of my 3 year old's bedroom door and purchased the "ok to wake" clock so that he would know when it was ok to leave his room in the morning. The idea is that the product will light up, making no noise just in case the child is still asleep. But, the product also has an audible alarm feature which we turned off. Alarm settings are under a locked panel and they claim the child cannot re-set. HOWEVER, the audible alarm has gone off 3 time since we purchased it, despite our turning it off. One time this happened at 10pm, several hours after my son had already been asleep.

I don't trust this product and plan to return it. Who's to say it will not fire off at 3am? Disappointed.
on February 17, 2012
We have no issues with night sleep or early waking, but have horrible napping issues with my 18 month old. Some naps would be 40 minutes, some two hours... and he always woke up screaming. This clock helped SO much. It took a few days to get him used to it. Now, before he goes down for a nap, I tell him that if he wakes up and the clock is not green, he needs to go back to sleep. When it turns green and he's awake, he gets so excited and I mimic his enthusiasm. Then, we spend some time making the clock smile and talking about what a good job he did. This was really worth it.
on January 13, 2015
Possibly the best $30 we've ever spent.

Our 2 year old decided he didn't need to nap anymore.

The key feature of the clock, other than the morning wake light, is the nap feature. We set it to 2 hours and it turns green after 2 hours have passed. This doesn't effect the time we have it set for in the morning.

We put this in his room, and for 2 days had to go in and manually switch it to turn green early (Which we did by resetting the nap clock to 1 minute) because he woke up way too early to make him wait.

After those 2 days, he stays quietly in his bed until the light turns green.

Tip: I was a bit of an idiot and overlooked that you can adjust how long the light stays on. We thought the only setting was 30 minutes and would sneak into his room in order to turn it back on after 30 minutes (and ended up waking him up half the time).

Pro Tip: Make sure you don't accidentally set the alarm to make noise. Which also means, make sure it isn't accessible to your child. One midnight wake up was enough for us to make sure it never ever happened again.
on January 6, 2016
I just got it and its alright. Its about what I expected although its difficult to verify that it glows green in the morning before you actually use it then.. I have two small but annoying issues. One is the packaging which like 95% of toys these days is twist tied to the packaging, but then they thought they would be annoying and TIE the twist ties on the end which means you cannot untwist them. You have to cut them off which unless you have tin snips or wire cutters handy with your toddler begging to see the new thing you have, you grab your scissors and dull them. My other issue is a design flaw, the console to set the clock is backwards, if You have it facing you the display is on the other side so you have to keep turning it around to set it and check the settings on the display. This is annoying but not a huge deal unless again your toddler is wanting badly to see this new shiny thing that looks like its theirs :)

Im trying to show that the design of the buttons is wrong but its difficult. Imagine if your alarm clock had all the words facing the wall and not your face when you were trying to set it.
review image review image review image review image
on February 18, 2014
The idea of this clock is awesome. If it would work I'd probably love it. I must have got a dud though because it keeps freezing and getting stuck on one time. I have to remove the batteries to change the time then it gets stuck again.
on December 16, 2015
How do I say enough good things about this clock!? My son is autistic, and has never been a good sleeper. This product has helped us tremendously. Before, he was getting out of bed and staying awake from between 5:30-5:15am (this is after not falling asleep until around 10-10:30pm usually). He was irritable, tired, and just plain needed more sleep. We used this clock to gradually move his out-of-bed time to 7:05am, and he is so much more well rested! Since he was staying in bed instead of wandering around, he was able to fall back asleep during those in-between hours. He usually comes out now between 7:05-7:15am, saying "guys, my clock turned green! Come check it out!" He also loves to bring it in to his sister's room to show her. "Lucy, time to get up! The clock is green!" So cute.
To help get him some more rest on the bed-time end of the night, we have been using a super low dose of melatonin right when we start his bedtime routine, which allows him to fall asleep around 8:30pm. I do not recommend trying that without the suggestion and/or approval from a child's pediatrician!
But without this clock, the mornings would still be a nightmare, even with the melatonin (we've been using that for around 4 months now). I would have liked to try this a little sooner, but I'm not sure it would have worked for him sooner. It's impossible to tell really. He is almost 4, and really has made a lot of advancements lately on listening to instructions. We've been using the clock successfully for about 2 months now.
I am thinking about ordering another one for my 18 month old daughter, because I think she would like it as well! She has luckily never had the sleep issues our son has but it would be nice (for me!) if she'd stay in bed until a consistent time each morning. Maybe I'll try it when she's fully weaned and closer to 2...