Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Wake me up when they are issued on Blu-ray

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2008 10:48:09 PM PDT
Jack says:
Why the bother? Remastering it only to have it released on standard DVD is a waste on time..., and one's money. Having seen an original Technicolor print of Rear Window, I'd want something nearly approximating the lusciousness of Technicolor. 'Nuf said.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 11:09:48 PM PDT
Joshua says:
Well the set's been out for a while, maybe that's why it's going on sale...? Well anyway, DVD is still awesome, I'm not sure how much more they could pump out of the prints they got of the movies. I'd be surprised (pleasantly mind you) if a Blu-ray edition of Hitchcock's movies looked a GREAT deal better than the DVD's.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 2:18:42 AM PDT
There are many, many of us out here who don't have a Blu-Ray player and don't plan on getting one...a few extra pixels is not going to make or break my life. It's a movie, not the second coming. So any new release to standard DVD is indeed NOT a waste of time for many of us, irrespective of your elitist comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 8:10:31 PM PDT
BDRand says:
I watched these DVDs on my HD DVD player which upscales beautifully. I don't know how well Blu-Ray handles upscaling but if it's anywhere as good as my player, I don't think you need to wait for a 1080p presentation. Right now, they look just great and besides if they ever do get the 1080 treatment they'll probably go for twice the price at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 7:29:50 PM PST
Rudeboy says:
I believe the only person being "elitist" is you.

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 8:39:21 AM PDT
R. Dunn says:
Dismissing a product of great content because it is not in the most elite of current technology is... elitist. (sorry to OP)

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 12:36:17 PM PDT
Rise2it says:
"Wake me up when they are issued on Blu-ray "

Enjoy your four year hibernation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2010 12:29:18 AM PDT
Twenty months later, and I'm curious whether you have already bought the Blu-ray player or are considering to buy one.

Blu-ray definitiely offers more qualities than just 'a few extra pixels', as anyone who isn't blind (yourself included) will admit after having compared a high quality Blu-ray movie to its high-quality DVD companion.

Besides, prices of Blu-ray discs and players are decreasing faster than the price of US homes and properties :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 10:22:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2010 10:34:54 AM PDT
Wanderlust says:
I agree Leo. I don't know how much more you're going to squeeze out of movies this old and I highly doubt it will be worth the price of the BD release. You can't change the source but a lot of people seem to think BD is a miracle drug for all movies.

@Michael...I have a Samsung 750 series LCD and while I can see the difference, I really don't think it blows me away. However, I was amazed at the audio, which is unsurpassed. BD is a considerable investment to get started so it doesn't surprise me that people may not have it even now and especially in this economy. I also know quite a few people who really don't care one way or the other...I wish I was that content. :)

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 1:39:05 PM PDT
J. Stoneking says:
Are people who are sticking with their DVD versions over the VHS versions elitists too?

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 3:10:16 PM PDT
K.B. says:
Even old movies can look great on blu ray. Check out the Sean Connery era James Bond movies, Gone With the Wind, and The Wizard of Oz for examples.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 4:09:41 PM PDT
If you want to check out the difference in image quality between a DVD version and a Blu-ray version of a particular movie, I recommend In the 'comparisons' section you will find screenshots and informative comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 9:40:03 AM PST
compsciguy says:
Your name explains it all. Go figure...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 9:42:02 AM PST
compsciguy says:
HOwever, you need a HD tv to watch blu rays.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 9:44:10 AM PST
compsciguy says:
That's a bad analogy. Blu Ray and DVDs are practically the same thing when you compare DVDs to VHS. And the elitist is not the mass majority. The mass majority..I'd say ALL of Americans, have DVD players now. Get informed, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 9:45:25 AM PST
compsciguy says:
Those are movies ppl actually care about, so of course they are gonna do the painstaking restoration process on those films. Some movies, however, look worse on Blu than DVD.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 3:38:38 PM PDT
Suzanne says:
It always boggles my mind when people mention that they don't think "old movies" will benefit that much from blu-ray. Old movies, in general, have more resolution than modern films. There are several reasons for this. One is that most older films were made in studios and they had plenty of light sources and were able to use high-resolution, low-speed film stocks that contain more resolution than high-speed film stocks used on modern films that often have to shoot in low light. Another reason is that old movies used static cameras more, and with static cameras you could get better focus and less jitter, ergo more resolution. Another reason is that the major studios spent a small fortune having the absolute best camera technology and the best crew to operate it possible, while today the proliferation of digital technology and lower resolution film cameras made it easier for anyone to pick up a camera and shoot a film. An "old film" like 2001:A Space Odyssey will look better than any modern film, and it's 70mm film stock is probably somewhere around 40+ megapixels per-frame while modern home theater technology is only capable of 2 megapixels. Hitch's films were, generally, much the same, especially for those shot in 70mm or in technicolor.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 9:59:45 AM PDT
esanta says:
Even old movies can look great on blu ray.
Even old TV can look great on blu ray! Check out Star Trek: The Original Series for instance (it's also available for free via Amazon Instant Video if you are a Prime member)
Anything that was shot on 32mm film will look better on blu ray provided it's adequately restored and transferred. Upscaling is great, but it will not restore detail that has been eliminated! It will just make a relatively coarse picture smoother.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 10:33:09 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
I know of a few movies made on 70mm film, but this is the first I've heard of 32mm film.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 5:54:47 PM PDT
JJ350 says:
The goldbox deal isn't bad, but personally, I am waiting for a blu-ray version of this. I already have the signature collection, so I'm just going to skip this one for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 1:56:48 PM PDT
esanta says:
Oops... finger slip. 35mm. Duh.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 11:28:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 6:38:31 AM PDT
People who believe that the image quality of Blu-Ray is only a small, hardly noticeable improvement over DVD are advised to compare the following images. The first two screenshots are from the 'North by Northwest' DVD vs. Blu-Ray, the second from 'Psycho'. I find the difference striking. At least, if watched on a proper 1920x1080 hi-definition tv or computer screen.

Prices of Blu-Ray discs and players are decreasing rapidly. The 50th anniversary Blu-Ray of 'Psycho' can be bought for less than 15 dollars. 'North by Northwest' can be had For a Few Dollars More. My good Philips Blu-Ray and DVD player cost less than 120 dollars. Definitely worth the purchase for a film lover/collector. I cherish my 2000+ DVD collection, but will probably replace the 100+ movies that I want to own in the best quality possible. Hitch's work definitely among them.

Again, I recommend the website for a vast amount of information - and image comparisons - of DVD and Blu-Ray editions.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 10:35:50 AM PDT
BreeInAZ says:
Michel - those who believe there is a slight difference need glasses and a new TV. Trust me, with a 67" LED, I can show you a demonstrable difference. Besides, most DVDs look WAAAAY better when played through a higher quality Blu-ray player.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 12:13:59 PM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
Good News, everybody: Universal announced that they will make a blu ray version of this box set, including North by Northwest, this Fall:
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about