5.0 out of 5 stars rip for a fantastic series.
This season of the now cancelled tv show
'waking the dead' really got under some peoples skin. It's too bad they couldn't realize what was happening; and that this was one of the bbc's best shows of the 2000-11 seasons from the entire four channel network!
Published on August 27, 2011 by Michael Dobey

2.0 out of 5 stars This Season Jumps the Shark
Published 15 months ago by Stephanie De Pue

5.0 out of 5 stars rip for a fantastic series., August 27, 2011
Michael Dobey (colorado springs) - See all my reviews
This season of the now cancelled tv show
This gritty show really gets dark here and boyd begins to loose it over the loss of mel and frankies defection.
She left and doesn't even talk to him at all. It's like his work family is going under even! The stories are excellent here as usual but like I said some fans couldn't grasp what was happening. I find the complaining about dark episodes reviews very interesting. This show was always VERY DARK! one of tv lands darkest anywhere, it's played straight and gruesome. Which is why it's one of my fave crime shows ever. The dumb bbc just blew it on cancelling this one after 9 series. THe two new actors do a fine job and of course we get to know them slowly and this is the way REAL LIFE is often. The dvd set looks great and it's just sad that we are so many seasons behind on dvd releases as compared to the rest of the world , which has most series already on dvd.
Rip, to this gritty and unsentimental show. One of the best crime shows ever.

2.0 out of 5 stars This Season Jumps the Shark, January 12, 2013
Stephanie De Pue (Carolina Beach, NC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
"Waking the Dead Season 5"is, to be sure, another entry in the once acclaimed British mystery television series that ran from 2000-2007, when, sadly, it was axed by the BBC in favor of `newer, more innovative crime dramas.' It played for some time on BBCAmerica on my side of the pond, where I made its acquaintance. Series 5 consists of three disks, each approximately four hours, with two episodes, in two parts apiece, for about twelve hours of product. And, thank you BBC, it's got subtitles, as all its actors tend to murmur.

The series had been strongly -cast and -written ---by Barbara Machin, a woman, yay! A police procedural/crime drama that follows Detective Superintendent Peter Boyd and his cold-case unit, consisting of scientists and a psychologist, as well as detectives, at the London Metropolitan Police. The squad utilizes the latest advances in forensic science, psychological profiling of the unknown criminal perpetrators and other modern investigative techniques to crack unsolved murders. Upon even initial viewing, its differences from similar-sounding American TV series showed themselves to be great. The show has been violent, intricate and suspenseful, with intricate and complex plots. The cop shop is anything but new and shiny, and poorly lit compared to American series that all seem to have been filmed on a sunny Southern California set. The actors aren't new and shiny, either. Trevor Eve, ( Heat of the Sun Boxed Set ) who plays Boyd, began his career as beefcake. But he's older now, and showing how thoughtfully he's aged. Still very watchable. He's backed, in the cop shop, by Sue Johnston as Dr. Grace Foley; and Wil Johnson, as DI Spencer Jordan.

Unfortunately, two audience favorites are gone from the fifth series, Holly Aird as Dr. Frankie Wharton, and Claire Goose as DS Amelia (Mel) Silver, to be replaced by Dr. Felix Gibson, played by Esther Hall, and DS Stella Goodman, played by Félicité Du Jeu. And I don't like the replacements nearly as well as the originals; just don't much enjoy looking at them. I particularly disliked Stella, as the actress who plays her should have had a serious talk with the wardrobe department. Am fairly sure this character would have been London born and bred; she's certainly resident in London now, and I doubt she's ever plowed the North 40. Yet day after day, she wears apparently the same pair of blue denim bib overalls, what we in Brooklyn used to call Farmer Browns, with, apparently the same tee shirt. Yuck. The episodes, although they continue to be executive produced by Barbara Machin, to be written and directed by historically talented hands, and to feature experienced guest stars are also much weaker, failing to hold water, cliched, or fanciful to the extreme. In short, am afraid with this fifth series the show jumped the shark.

The episodes are:

Disk 1. Towers of Silence. A mummified body is found in a scrap airplane in the Arizona desert. A politically correct tale that deals with Zoroastrians, the Parsis of the Indian subcontinent.
Disk 1. Black Run. Ex-cop Vine, partner in Arrow Investigations, Palliser & Vine, has been murdered. Possible blackmail? The cop shop investigates.
Disk 2. Subterraneans. A serial killer kidnaps his victims and imprisons them underground in an abandoned cement factory, located, oddly enough, in busy Dagenham, where a major Ford plant is sited.
Disk 2. Straw Dogs. Looks back to Dr. Grace Foley's first case that of serial killer
Tony Greene.
Disk 3. Undertow. A serial killer gets his jollies by drowning young women. Resembles Helen Mirren's PRIME SUSPECT in that the perp is known to both the audience and the cop shop from the beginning, but the cop shop just can't find any evidence of his guilt.
Disk 3. Cold Fusion. The good guys are protesting a nuclear power station, the bad guys are being very naughty. Yawn.

This may be as far as I go with this series: I begin to see why the BBC discontinued it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Series That Has Run Its Course, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
I preordered Waking the Dead 5, having been extrememly impressed with the previous 4 series. I particularly enjoyed the ensemble nature of this 'team'. They melded so well. I found the stories intricate, and sometimes challenging. I had to pay careful attention to detail. A pleasant change to so many 'by the numbers' detective series!

The shocking death of Sgt. Mel Silver at the conclusion of Series 4 made me wonder how well the series would hold up with a cast change.

Unfortunately, not only was Sgt. Mel Silver missing from Series 5, but also ME 'Frankie'. I feel this left too much for the remaining actors to carry successfully. The first story Towers of Silence, took us into the now popular world of mysterious muslims. In an attempt to create a 'noirish' look, many of the scenes were so dark as to be almost unwatchable.

The new detective would only last for one episode. Never to be heard from again. The new ME 'Felix' seems decent enough, though not as dynamic as Frankie.

Series 5 is certainly not up to the standard of the previous four series. I think, if you haven't seen Waking the Dead, and started with Series 5, you might find it enjoyable. But, I don't recommend it for 'hardcore' fans.

I do wonder at the wisdom of attempting to continue a series, with the loss of two of five key characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waking the Dead 5, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
After watching seasons 1-4 I was anxious to view season 5. The turn in the series is palpable, dark and frankly I didn't like it.
Boyd was always on the edge with me, now he's gone over it. He insists the team keep him constantly in the loop and he doesn't have respect enough for them to do the same. He is becoming increasing untrustworthy and more controling while he himself seems to be reeling with bad judgment. If he were my boss I'd put in for a transfer.
For me there doesn't seem to be enough evidence in his favor for me to stay with him and give him the benefit of the doubt. I did that in seasons 1 through 4.
I understand that the series is still alive and well in Britain, but I don't think I'll be too anxsious to purchase season 6.
And...I also miss Frankie.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WRITING & ACTING!!!, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
WE GIVE IT TOP RATINGS!!! TO INFINITY & BEYOND!!! GREAT DRAMA WITH SOME HUMOR!!!
KTHIE & KEN & DAD
GULF SHORES, ALABAMA

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy delivery, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
Good series, but they are,liars as to when they will deliver. Took me a coons age to get it. Won't do this again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty & Mesmerizing British Cold Case Series, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
If you like gritty British police procedurals, this series is stellar. The plots are complex and satisfying - each show is in two parts so there is ample time to develop depth and back story. There are two new team mates this season so the team evolves just like real life. Folks come and go - I don't have a problem with it in this season. The core group of Boyd, Spence and Grace remain and provide continuity. I especially like the new character Stella as she has pluck and warmth. Boyd, the team leader for the cold cases, is his usual mercurial self. He is magnetic as a character, a bit imperious, but warm and occasionally vulnerable. Grace is a good foil for him with her calm, rational demeanor.

The first show in this season I found a tad off-putting and macabre. However, the second episode matches the quality of previous seasons.

Love to watch these while on the treadmill as the pacing is dynamic and the plots are intense so time speeds by. The endings are not predictable, but not too far-fetched to be unbelievable. I find the series mesmerizing. Excellent work of the writers, actors and producers.

5.0 out of 5 stars See my review of Season Seven - still going strong., November 13, 2012
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
We purchased another DVD player(all region) so we could continue with this series. Great stories, not formulas and outstanding character actors make the show a real winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need the last three series, February 27, 2012
K. Sandness (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
I am hooked on this series, not only for the cold case mysteries themselves but for the personalities of the team members and the complexities of British society that they unearth. Unlike the various U.S. series about cold cases or forensic pathology, there aren't a lot of close ups of decomposed bodies, but the approach is psychologically more sophisticated.

I'm a frustrated customer, however, because even though series 7, 8, and 9 are out in the UK, Amazon UK's agent that handles them does not ship to the U.S., nor does the BBC store in London.

What's an unhappy American fan to do?

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for season 9, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Waking the Dead: Season 5 (DVD)
I had to purchase seasons 5 thru 9 from the UK. It took almost two weeks for the DVDs to arrive and were worth the wait. Here in the US only the first four seasons were aired and when I discovered they could be purchased from Amazon.com.UK I did, along with a multi-regiona DVD player. I was not aware that DVD's are sold by region and one's DVD player must be configure for a specific region. I purchased a multi regional DVD Player. It was cheap about
$50.00, easy to set up and now one can watch DVD anywhere in the world ( ain't technology grand!) I am also sorry that Waking the Dead has aired its last season. I expected at least another two or three seasons!!! These's are not simply murder mysteries, but mysteries with a conscience, delving into cultural, politcal and socio-ecomic matters, some of which I was unaware. But whatever the murder, this cold case series is certainly worth watching.

ARRAY(0x9a8a52ac)

Waking the Dead: Season 5
Waking the Dead: Season 5 by Trevor Eve (DVD - 2011)
$39.98 $25.99