Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 18, 2013
I just finished reading, Waking Up in Heaven by Crystal McVea and Alex Tresniowski. I am very thankful for this message: God is in control and He has a plan for our lives. ('Funny', it's the same message He's given me in my own writing!) For Crystal, it took years for God to get her attention, years for her to know for sure that He is real, years for Him to draw her to Himself. And yet, He did draw this doubtful, young woman to himself. Crystal has barred her soul in this book, not to get attention, but only because God has asked her to tell her story. Thank you Crystal. This book is hard for someone like me to read, I like to read 'feel good' stories and for most of this book, I can't say it made me 'feel good'! But Crystal's story is all too common in our world today... abuse, misunderstanding, sinfulness, heartache and healing. Her story is about the power of God's forgiveness and that He wants to draw us to Himself. He is in control and He has a plan for each of us. This is a must read if you've ever doubted God's love or doubted God's existence or doubted that He could care about someone like you. He is, He does and He's calling you.
11 comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2014
A friend at my Church suggested to our prayer meeting group one evening to buy this book and read it as he deemed it to be worth every penny of the cost for it. So I did. My take is that I could hardly get passed the half way mark of this book before I either had to put it down for days on end or eventually try to skim through all the chapters desperately searching for the entire story of her, Waking Up in Heaven. There was only 1 or 2 very, very brief descriptions of what occurred to her in the hospital followed by chapters thereafter that go on and on about her life autobiography. Her parents, her rebellious teenage years, her lack of faith, etc. I wouldn't mind a chapter or two of telling readers what her up-bringing was like and the utter hardships she experienced to explain her lack of faith within God, but after that, I wanted to get to- The Heavenly experience part with God. I felt like all she was writing a book about was trying to unload all of her unhappiness story first and foremost rather than to just give other Christians a peek at what God had shown her and said to her. I don't believe God was saying make an autobiography of every feasible detail of your life, but instead, he said to her to share this experience with others. That was is why I wanted to buy it. Even if my friend at Church thought this was an intriguing and fulfilling book, I pretty much regretted buying it.
on April 26, 2013
I am 37-years-old and I have read several near-death experiences books (I have even had a near-death experience myself), but I was very disappointed with Crystal's book. I have to admit that the autobiography about her life was good, but unfortunately, that is all her book was, an autobiography. Crystal's book (in my opinion), was more about her life and the things she has endured in her life versus her near-death experience. I was expecting more information about her experience with God, Jesus, angels, etc, and I was very disappointed in the lack of content about her near-death experience. I also did not like the style of the book (how Crystal would go back and forth from her earth life to her near-death experience). I was very disappointed in the book, but maybe it will help someone else, it just wasn't for me.
5151 comments|184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
It is possible that the woman's story is true, but it is also possible that it could be just a money-making scam. In my opinion, the book does not have the details and dignity that one would expect to be presented from an ethereal experience. As other negative reviews have stated, the book is mostly about her life. She states that God told her to tell people everything she remembered about her experience, but she remembered very little (she admits that in the book). The book is about 250 pages, but her purported experience would probably need no more than 4 pages. I agree that some information about her life was needed for her to illustrate how God will grant his mercy, forgiveness and love to those who have done things he would severely disapprove; that said and supposing her story to be true, the book should have been no more than 30 pages. At times she also mentions financial problems in her life, which suggests that financial relief may be the true purpose of the book, especially when there is so little of her ethereal experience; and what little there is one could easily fabricate. Also in my opinion, the writing style of the book made for a somewhat irritating read: The author would interject chapters dealing with her ethereal experience among those dealing with her life.
on January 7, 2014
I bought it to read her story about her experience in heaven. Instead it was a non stop horror read about her life. Blow by blow in graphic descriptions of life events. I do not suggest at all if you are looking for a good read.
on June 26, 2013
I have read about 10 books on this subject and find all of them intriguing. Some people will become bored with hearing about the author's life experiences, but this is essential to the story. Our lives are a journey and every experience shapes us. I especially like stories of near death experiences from people who are not particularly religious to begin with. It makes it more believable. So when you read these type of stories, you have to take it in as their story. After you read many of these types of stories, you can form your own opinion. I want to thank Crystal for writing this book.
on April 4, 2013
God "nudged" me to read this book after hearing a radio talk show host, who I don't care for and don't usually listen to, mention Crystal' s story. Her story is truly inspirational and fills you with such hope- God's love is pure, does exist, and he has a perfect plan for each of us.
on October 2, 2013
I didn't find it a smooth read. The story was just okay....I found it to be 'more of the same ole story' people give about their hard life some by circumstance and some by her choices, and it took too much time to get to her point, that she experienced being in heaven. I am sure she had the experience she shared so that was convincing for me.
This was a book required to read for a group discussion about heaven from different perspectives..would I choose to purchase this book to read? No.. I would have picked something else.. was it awful? No, but it was not a very compelling read for me.
on December 26, 2013
I have bought this and several other books about NDEs and found this one lacking in content in which it is categorized. The author states from the beginning she has liked to talk too much since a child...which is what this book felt like. I actually started to skim through parts hoping I would get to the part in which I bought the book for. That BIG moment I was hoping all the chatter led up to never arrived. I felt like this book was more of a diary she needed to write to get out her past as part of her recovery more than information about what Heaven was like. Her experience about Heaven consists of part of one chapter where she sees angels and God and sees herself as a child before getting to the gates. That's it. The rest of the book is a auto-biography about her struggles and hardships and how she slowly started to overcome them. I believe everything she states and I truly wish she didn't have to suffer the hardships she did as well as I wish no one has to endure the hardships she has, however this is more of a self help book than a book about a NDE. I give it 2 stars because although it has very (very, very) little content about NDE and Heaven, I believe this can be helpful to those who have been victim of sexual abuse, domestic violence, had an abortion, etc. I think this conclusion played out in her book as well. Those most touched by her testimony were those who endured the same hardships as her therefore they had someone to relate and talk to. If you are one who is looking for detailed accounts of Heaven and what happen after we leave this world I would say pass on this book. If you have endured some extreme hardships in life and want to relate to someone who has been through the same and can reassure you God still loves you and sees you as his perfect child,then yes, I believe this is worth the read.
on April 13, 2013
This was an amazing story that the authors share with us. Crystal lived a life that involved a lot of struggles that seemed to make her question God's existence. Her life turned around the day she was pronounced dead and then came back to life. They are many book written about near death experiences but I think this is one of the most amazing I have read. I think it is because of the author's background and how her experience draws her to God. God told her to share her experience with others. She never thought about writing a book, but she shares how this idea came to her.I find reading about near death experiences very interesting and I am often drawn to books such as this. I have read and reviewed many but this is the first I have read by a woman. Other were by children and men and they dd not include a life full of difficulties as this author describes. Her story i touching and truly amazing. I found it to be full of hope, encouraging and very inspirational. If you like reading this type of book, then I highly recommend this book to you.