Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on October 18, 2000
I'll confess that I haven't heard any of his new stuff, but, of the albums I own (specifically, his four previous to this one), I listen to this one the most. It seems a lot more mature than his previous albums, music-wise. The guitars seem less rough and the vocals seem to blend a lot better with the music. This could be a production trick, but it's still true of the album.
There are so many good songs on this album, it's hard to know where to start. There are rockers like IS YOUR MAMA GONNA MISS YA?, HOUSE ARREST, ALL I WANT IS YOU, and DON'T DROP THAT BOMB ON ME. All of these songs are great to listen to...pure rock 'n' roll fun. Then there are the ballads...THOUGHT I'D DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN, DO I HAVE TO SAY THE WORDS, and (EVERYTHING I DO) I DO FOR YOU. All of these songs are heartfelt and emotional. They are well written, both lyrically and musically. The way the two types of songs are interwoven with each other makes this a really strong album. Most rock 'n' roll albums only have one ballad on them. This one has three, not to mention the fact that ALL I WANT IS YOU is thematically a ballad, but musically a rocker. This album was put together brilliantly with changes in tempo in all the right places.
If you're looking for a good Bryan Adams' album to start with or just a good rock 'n' roll album in general, this is a sure bet.
on January 4, 2000
I am a 13 year old true Bryan Adams fan. I can remember being around 5 and my mom made me listen to all these soft rock/adult contemporary stations. Well, one song was getting so much airplay it wasn't funny. I finally found out it was "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You," by a man named Bryan Adams. My aunt bought me the CD single and then one day after school, I came home and lying on my bed was my dream...a cassette of Waking Up The Neighbours. I was in love with every song on there and eventually I became a Bryan Adams fanatic.
Even today when I pull out my CD (I had to buy one when I wore out my cassette) I love the lyrics of "Everything I Do," "Do I Have To Say The Words?" and "Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven," and then the fun of "Is Your Mama Gonna Miss Ya?" and "Hey Honey I'm Packing You In," is unmatchable.
This CD is classic Bryan Adams, though I'd also reccomend So Far So Good which compiles the best songs from this album and his other stuff...and remember that his Unplugged album is wonderful too.
Long live the world's greatest Canadian rocker.
on May 29, 2004
Before I mention the other songs from this album, my favorite song on here is "Thought I'd Died and Gone To Heaven." It is such a strong record with the bridges and the hanging-with-the-fellows big chorus of woooohhh, wooooooooooodhhhhhhhh. It is one of Bryan Adams' best songs to date and it should have gone higher than No. 13 on the charts in spring 1992. But this album is full of big rockers, solid rhythms, and unique songwriting. I like Do I Have to Say the Words more than the overplayed "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)". Everything's kind of LOUD for a power ballad, but that sappiness is all too obvious on that one. I also like "Can't Stop This Thing We Started", "There'll Never Be Another Tonight" and the big closer, "Don't Drop That Bomb On Me." Three crank-it-to-11 rockers that still sound strong today! Bryan really got better as an artist with this album!
on May 9, 2005
This has to be along with 1984's Reckless, one of Bryan Adams'

best albums. This album includes the super smash hit single of

1991 Everything i do i do it for you, still to this day one of

the most popular love songs ever written. But this also has some

great rockers too, such as Can't stop this thing we started,There will never be another tonight, Hey honey,im packing

you in and All i want is you. This was the last great album by

B.A. after this his songwriting and music started going downhill

and he has never been able to recapture the magic from this golden timeframe.
on May 7, 2004
Having been a fan of Bryan's since his "Let Me Take You Dancing", I can safely say that Waking Up the Neighbours is his best album of his career. No other album released since then comes even close! Just wish he'd play songs from it more often in concert, however, he states they are too hard to do too often.........not sure why!
on May 31, 2004
WAKING UP THE NEIGHBOURS is the last great album that Bryan Adams did until ROOM SERVICE. It sounds a lot like Def Leppard (he used that band's producer, "Mutt" Lange, for this one), but somewhat earthier. This album contains plenty of great rockers, but also increases his ballad quotient. His next couple of albums would turn him into a fairly faceless adult contemporary artist, but here he was still good for some great field-day-ready rockers.
VINE VOICEon May 20, 2008
I was surprised to hear one of the negative reviews say this album was so horrible compared to the previous ones. I thought it was a perfect progression from his previous work. I love Reckless, etc. but I also love this album, so I must respectfully but strenuously disagree with that statement.

I also take issue with people who bash Bryan's lyrics, and his "radio friendly" songs. First of all, If a song has great lyrics, that's great, but many people, including myself, aren't looking for thought-provoking poetry here. We're looking for a good, fun song, and Bryan delivers that in spades. And since when is it a bad idea to write songs that work particularly well on the radio? That IS where most people hear them, isn't it? Now you can take this approach WAY too far (Nickelback, etc) but I don't think he does at all.

And as far as the lead guitar work on this album, it rivals that of Reckless. The highlights would have to be "Don't Drop That Bomb On Me" and "Everything I Do," but almost every song on this album has some great solos.

Rhythm work is rock-solid here as well, with some of his patented hooks in songs like "Can't Stop.." "Hey Honey I'm Packin' You In" etc. "House Arrest" is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard, and the lyrics are fun. No need to talk about drugs or having sex like most other musicians do, just a fun ride.

Some of the songs on this album did take a while to grow on me, namely tracks #1,5,6,and 11 but they are some real hidden gems, as far as I'm concerned. If you like Bryans music, get this album. Simple as that. I wish he was still writing music like this.
on May 28, 2004
I consider Bryan Adams' 1987 "Into the Fire" his best album. It was his most complete album and showed a more serious and socially aware side to Adams that had not been seen on his first 4 albums. However, "Into the Fire" didn't generate the commercial success that its predecessor "Reckless" had done. As a result, Bryan definitely went back to basics on "Waking Up The Neighbours" by returning to those songs that are of a 20 something male adult. Going back to basics didn't come without change. The good news is despite the changes, Bryan still manages to put out a solid album and once again had the major commerical success he had with "Reckless". The bad news is that some of the changes to affect the depth of this collection and as a result this is more of a 4 star effort as opposed to the last 3 albums that I rated 5 stars.
"Waking Up the Neighbours" marked the end of the Bryan Adams/Jim Vallance songwriting combination that had been the staple of the 1st five albums. Adams and Vallance would combine for only 4 songs on this album as Bryan started a new era with Robert "Mutt" Lange (Better known as Mr. Shania Twain) as his main songwriting partner. It is also worth noting that Lange would be credited as a co-writer on the songs Adams did with Vallance. Another change is that Bob Clearmountain, the master mixer who would co-produce the last 4 studio albums for Bryan Adams was no longer the co-producer. In once again is Lange who also takes the co-producer duties while Clearmountain still stays on as the mixer. Bryan's studio musicians are still in tact as Mickey Curry (Drums), Tommy Mandel (Keyboards), Dave Taylor (Bass), and Keith Scott (Guitar) still prove they are as good you can get in the business.
This CD has 15 tracks - this makes for 75 minutes of music. Of the 15 tracks - some are very good songs like "Can't Stop This Thing We Started", "Thought I Died and Gone to Heaven", "Not Guilty", "Vanishing", and "There Will Never Be Another Tonight". There are some good songs like "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You", "Do I Have to Say the Words", "House Arrest", and "If You Wanna Leave Me". There is also some songs that I don't like such as "Is Your Mama Gonna Miss Ya", "Hey Honey I'm Packin It In", and "Touch the Hand". The album title comes from a line in the song "House Arrest". The negative is the 15 songs. Perhaps if this was an 8 or 9 song album, Adams would be looking at another 5 star album, but there is some stuff like like "Touch the Hand" that I just wonder "What is this doing here?"
This album contains "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" from the movie "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". This was a song wasn't a Vallance song. It would become Bryan's biggest selling single and one of the biggest sellers of all time. Although I don't think its an "Adams song", the version that is contained on this album is 6.5 minutes and is much better than the overplayed shorter version you will hear on commerical radio. It is a classic Adams ballad though.
The Vallance songs are "House Arrest", "Do I Have to Say the Words", "There Will Never Be Another Tonight", and "Depend on Me'. Surprisingly, with the exception of "There Will Never Be Another Tonight", there isn't that legendary Adams/Vallance song. Lange does a very good job at becoming Adams co-collaborator in the songwriting department. Two songs that are very underrated on this album are "Not Guilty" and "Vanishing". "Not Guilty" is a song in which Bryan and Lange draw an analogy of romance to the legal system ."Vanishing" is probably the best song on the album. It's another analogy song between rich wasting away money to a romance wasting away. It contains some powerful vocals especially when Bryan sings "You're gonna giss ge when I'm gone. Watcha gonna do without a shoulder to lean on?"
Classic Adams sound is alive and well on this album too. The Commercial singles "Can't Stop This Thing We Started", "Thought I Died and Gone to Heaven", "and "There Will Never Be Another Tonight" do a great job at capturing the sound as well as the lesser known "If You Wanna Leave Me". "If You Wanna Leave Me" shows a bit of the blues which will become more prevelent on his subsequent work from this album. Another thing to note is the background vocals on this album are incredible. They are credited to "The Tuck Back Twins". Much of the background vocals sound like a bunch of partying guys on songs like "Can't StopThis Thing We Started", "There Will Never Be Another Tonight" and "Not Guilty" or sound just real good like in "Thought I Died and Gone to Heaven". It's really good stuff.
The CD liner notes contain all of the lyrics. The only thing is - the songwriting are bunched together and are difficult to read. The other thing is there are guest musicians called "Honorary Dudes of Leisure", but the 'Dudes' aren't mapped to the songs they participate on. Another negative is that with Clearmountain as the producer, Bryan and Clearmountain had the perfect formula for picking the starting track, ending track, and ordering all of the ones in-between. With Lange, they don't seem to be able to order things as well.
There's a lot of positive with this CD and if you want the last great studio album by Bryan Adams, I would definitely recommend getting this one. The ones that follow won't be quite as good as this.
on May 12, 2003
This 15 track huge album would easily be Bryan Adam's best and since most of his albums sound pretty similar this is the one you should buy. This album has your mix of fast rock songs as well as slow love ballads. Everything I Do I Do it For You was the song played in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and was of course one of the top selling songs of all time. Can't Stop This Thing We Started is a sensational fast song as is All I Want is You. Not Guilty, House Arrest and Vanishing are other gems. There are no bad songs on this album unlike his other albums which seem to have a few fillers.

I think this album is better than So Far so Good which is an alternative album a lot of people buy instead of this, as it was a Greatest Hits so far album that cashed in on the success of this album, including all the singles from this one, primarily the song Everything I Do I Do it For You, with both albums out when a lot of these songs were yet to be released as singles. Although Waking Up the Neighbours of course doesn't have Summer of 69. If you want one Bryan Adams album but only one I'd buy this one.

This album also has the lyrics to all the songs whereas So Far so Good just has an address you post a cheque to get them sent to you.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2000
This Canadian Rocker knows how to write and record songs. With Mega-hit producer, R.J. "Mutt" Lange (AC/DC, Def Leppard, Heart and now producer/husband of Shania Twain), they wrote (Everything I Do) I Do It For You (from Kevin Costner's Robin Hood movie). So what you say? Well, the rest of this album is great, too.
Bryan and the boys seemed like they had a lotta fun on this one. The songs Is Your Mama Gonna Miss Ya? Hey Honey-I'm Packin' You In! House Arrest, If You Wanna Leave Me (Can I Come Too?) and Don't Drop That Bomb On Me are super fun rock'n'roll. Obligatory ballads, Vanishing and Do I Have To Say the Words are there and you can "rok-owt" with Touch the Hand.
This album is the best Bryan Adams next to his Cuts Like A Knife (his best release) and is on par with his greatest hits release, So Far So Good. There is not a bad track on the whole dang thing!