5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest of books.
I have bought several editions of Thoreau over the years, but this edition is by far the best. It contains "Walden" in its entirety and several other of his best essays. In addition, this seller was very fast and efficient.
Published on December 18, 2012 by JW

3.0 out of 5 stars Walden
Wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be.... Love Thoreau ....he just didn't seem a deep personality ... And I believe he wrote this book
Published 15 months ago by Betty Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest of books., December 18, 2012
JW (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walden and Other Writings (Modern Library of the World's Best Books) (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity in an age of distraction, October 28, 2011
Walden is a look at a man's look for simplicity and nature in an age of distraction. Today, it is more relevant than ever. Thoreau does an excellent job of navigating the thoughts and experiences of getting away from populated areas and going back to nature. A worth experiment by an important Transcendentalist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! But I ordered new!, October 14, 2010
This book is brilliant. Ive never been a fan of non fiction but I gave this book a go because I remember reading some writings of Thoreau in high school and liking it.

It is a very inspiring book. I almost wanted to just go out and experience what its like with out technology myself. I might not have done that but i did unplug my TV for a few weeks.

I gave the book 5 stars because it deserves it. However the people i ordered it from (internationalbooks) would get 1 star. I ordered it new and they shipped me a used one. At least the book is in pretty good shape but i would recommend avoiding them if your looking for a new book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An American writer, July 1, 2014
KSR's "Science in Washington" trilogy quotes liberally from Emerson and Thoreau, which put me in the mood to check out some of the original stuff, so here I am. I read this mostly in China, which was something of a surreal experience in itself, because Thoreau is very much a Rugged Individualist American Writer, and that is almost exactly what China isn't about. But I digress.

Walden is pretty much what you expect it to be: a bunch of ruminations and reminiscences by a guy living in a cabin by a lake in the woods in the 1840s. It's gorgeously written, and I see where a lot of turns of phrase I've seen before come from, but ... it didn't thrill me. This may be one of those things like Hesse's _Siddhartha_ that would've changed my life if I'd read it in my twenties, but not in midlife.

The volume I have has a varied selection of "other writings." Of these I chose to read the classic "Civil Disobedience," "Slavery in Massachusetts," and "A Plea for Captain John Brown."

The first of these shows how deep the roots of the Tea Party movement do go in American history, but also how deeply the modern Tea Party movement has distorted and poisoned those roots. It also contains the story of Thoreau's one night in jail - though not the famous line about "What are you doing out there, Waldo?"

The second is a vituperative screed on the cowardice of his fellow Massachusetts citizens for knuckling under to the Fugitive Slave Law, and contains the subtle but interesting suggestion that the Southern threat of "nullification" could have been used here.

The third was written while Brown was in jail awaiting execution for his leadership of the attack at Harper's Ferry. While the famous song would not be written for a little while, the burden of Thoreau's passionate argument is that Brown's truth does, indeed, go marching on, that his deeds would in the end do more to bring about the end of slavery in America than all the pamphleteering societies who took no personal risk; indeed, Thoreau draws some very pointed and specific parallels between Brown and Christ which are hard to ignore.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC 'MUST HAVE' BOOK..., April 1, 2013
This is the complete works, and about very thick, but a nice size to hold onto. If you have never read Walden, please do yourself a favor! If you haven't read it many years be sure and read this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars We actually took a stroll around Walden pond on one of our first dates and he has a love for used books, November 26, 2014
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend's birthday. We actually took a stroll around Walden pond on one of our first dates and he has a love for used books. He was absolutely thrilled with the gift and I received it very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A questioning of life, September 1, 2000
Jane M. Wilford (GREENWICH, CT USA) - See all my reviews
Thoreau masterfully analyzes his in its purest form, he does away his all superfluous details. He forces the read to question his own existence. He forces the reader to imagine life without technology, commotion and anything unnecessary. Besides his analysis in Walden, he takes a stand for the maverick, for the individual, for the non-conformist. Lastly his social commentary especially about slavery shows how wrong our coutry had been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 22, 2014
Good book, good binding, great content. Fast shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 13, 2014
Good read and classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Inspiration, April 17, 2012
The first time I ever encountered Thoreau was as a high school student. Now finishing up college, I have returned to reading and have rediscovered the passion in life I have been missing out on.

I began reading Walden at a music and art festival. I can't tell you how many people approached me and had long, meaningful discussions of this book and it's representation of our individual lives. This book is not for everyone, but for those who want a little meaning in life, this is a fantastic place to start.

Walden and Other Writings (Modern Library of the World's Best Books)
Walden and Other Writings (Modern Library of the World's Best Books) by Henry David Thoreau (Hardcover - September 5, 1992)
$21.00 $16.34