4.0 out of 5 stars Good, so far - Update
Had it for one week. Plays everything I threw at it, dvd+rw, dvd-r, dvd+r, cd/r/rw, mp3, audio cd, vcd, svcd, etc. Only thing it didn't play was svcds created with Nero. on't know why. Battery is good for about 3 1/2 hours.
Published on January 29, 2005 by X MacUser

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA
Published on March 24, 2005 by P. Sherman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, so far - Update, January 29, 2005
This review is from: Walinda/Malata DVD-710V Portable DVD Player with 7-Inch Widescreen LCD (Electronics)
Image is definitely nicer than Mintek's and comparable to other more expensive brand names. Overall, a great player, as long as it doesn't die on me after three month warranty.

Update - 2 yrs later
Bought this Christmas of 2004. Still works great! Developed two bad pixels. Also lost remote so can't fast forward/reverse or choose audio mode. Can only advance by chapters. Battery is still very good, at least 2 1/2 hrs to 3 hrs. Dropped it at least ten times in the car and twice in the kitchen. Kids sometimes play videogames with av input. Plays mpeg2 files. Wish I could edit the star rating to 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to here my 2 players have worked great for 9 and 7 months, March 9, 2005
After having an awful experience with Intial's DVD Players, I decided to get the Malata 710V. Although a little bigger because of the battery, has worked perfect for NINE months now. The Sound and Image are better than the Intial and it looks more robust. I know that we're all concerned in how long are this players going to last, but so far no signs of any problems...

I decided to get my second Malata 710V for my wife after a not so good experience with the Coby TFDVD7100.Coby TFDVD7100 has better sound but worse image, also it freezes with some DVDs. No problems with second one for 7 months now.

P.S. There is an error on the technical Data. It has Audio and Video Input with the DV In/Out switch. Also it comes with earphones and the Battery lasts 3 hours aprox.

4.0 out of 5 stars Six Months In, Still Happy, June 10, 2005
R. D. Clark (Wide awake on the edge of the world.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this in December, and have used it mostly in-home, traveling with it only a handful of times.

DVD performance is quite acceptable. The transport is reasonably quiet, and the player responds quickly. The controls, both on the unit and on the remote, are not particularly intuitive, but all the needed functions are there.

Picture quality ranges from fair to very good. It's hard to get consistent saturated color, and on some program material (particularly letterboxed non-anamorphic movies), the pixel scaling is very noticeable. But on most contemporary anamorphic discs the image is quite satisfactory. My sample arrived with one dead pixel, which I decided to accept.

Disc compatibility: In addition to commercial discs, I've played CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, MPG-DVD+R, JPG-CD-R, and JPG-DVD+R, all without compatibility issues.

JPG viewing: I found this feature nearly useless, as the screen's ability to scale images is nearly nonexistent. Images not at the screen's native resolution look like much.

Traveling: The battery yields the advertised 3 hours. The analog connections for an external TV work fine, so you can use the unit in a hotel room if the TV has AV connections. The internal speakers are of course tinny and soft, but there's plenty of gain at the headphone jack.

Durability: This is always the big question with these Chinese electronics products, isn't it? The low price is seductive, but you know its a craps shoot. User responses like these Amazon reviews are almost the only source of data. Well, I'm only one owner, and I haven't used my Wanlida hard (but I do use it every day, at least playing music at bedtime), and after 6 months it has exhibited no mechanical flaws or glitches. So I'm optimistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sturdy player, April 30, 2005
This is a great little player. I have used it for less than two weeks but so far it has been great. The build quality is solid unlike some flimsy players. It is a bit thicker than some other players in its category but the build quality compensates for it. My understanding is that it can play PAL DVDs out of the box on its display without a need for a hack, one main reason I bought this player. It won't play PAL out of the box though, when connected to external T.V per my understanding. The adaptor-cum-charger is dual-voltage making it great for world travel.

I was able to play several types of DVDs including many DVD-R's on branded as well as generic media. It was able to play most DVD-Rs' but was picky about one particular generic brand of media. I think it may be because I overburned some DVDs beyond 4.7G. Also you have to make sure the DVD is pressed correctly in position, like most portable players. Player is definitely recommended, especially if you are a world-traveler.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, March 24, 2005
P. Sherman (Greenville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I got this player after a very long research period. When it arrived, the power cord setup was already connected, and it was missing the remote. It failed to recognize any DVDs. I suspect that it was sold previously, returned as defective without the remote, and sent to me. However, I want to add that, HAD IT WORKED, it would have been a very nice unit, seemed solidly built, and Amazon is taking it back. It came with both the AC adaptor and a car adaptor as well as little headphone buds--would have been nice... Interestingly, there was another name on the box, but the same model number.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, zone free player, June 9, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little portable but have a few questions!, June 26, 2005
Richard Pearson (ARLINGTON, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This is the 3rd portable DVD player I have had experience with. My first player was an Initial unit which my wife and I promptly took back to the store when we realized that it couldn't play several of our DVD-Rs. We ended up getting a Panasonic which we were thrilled with and after I read the great reviews for the Wanlida DVD 710V I decided to get it. So far I have not been disappointed. The Panasonic may have a better picture but the Wanlida seems to play most types of DVDs and CDs very well indeed! It seems to play DVDs, CDs, Cds with MP3 files, CD-Rs with photos, etc. The ONLY thing I noticed that it didn't do was read Close Captions. However it DOES read SUB-TITLES but for some reason it does not show close captions. Can anyone else confirm that it doesn't show close captions? Secondly I am thrilled that the player will play overseas DVDs. Another reviewer was kind enough to give us specific information in playing a foreign DVDs which I will reproduce here:Dr. Laurent Demailly (Belmont, CA USA) - See all my reviews    "This player is great little player. It can read my region 2 DVDs as well as my normal US ones. It took some time to find how, so I figure I'd share here: With the disc tray open, use the remote to: press setup, goto preference page, down to version, press 1379, use the up/down to select region, 0 being multi (and seems to work with RCE protected DVDs). Enjoy ! The only negative: no memory (not even for the current dvd), so if you stop it, it won't later resume at the same point..."Thanks for the above info but I have a couple of questions! I noticed that there were about 7 different region codes that one could choose from. For example I have a Region "0" Disc from England and obviously I would choose Region 0 on the player and then sit back and play my disc. But I also have a Region "2" disc from France. Surely I would choose Region 2 on the player and NOT region 0? I have a feeling that Region 0 and Region 2 discs are similar so perhaps it might not matter if I choose 0 or 2. Boy am I confused!Secondly the reviewer mentioned above said there was no memory on the unit. I disagree with that as I have been able to push "pause" or "stop" (one time only) and then hit play and the disc will continue where it had previously stopped. If you push stop twice then of course the disc goes back to the beginning. Perhaps if you hit stop with too much force it might go back to the beginning of the disc. In any event despite all of my questions I am very happy with the player. I haven't tested all of its functions yet but so far I am very happy with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little cheap DVD player, July 20, 2005
Mr. Scott L. Leather (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This DVD player arrived pretty promptly from Amazon. The only thing missing from the package was the small watch-type battery that powered the remote. I had to go out and buy one at the local Walgreens. Otherwise this unit is working fine so far. We'll see over time how it lasts. One problem seems that it doesn't remember where one left off in the movie when one powers it down. Also I haven't tried using the battery pack yet, so the jury is still out on that one. Otherwise it seems to be working fine with a decent picture even though the screen is tiny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad ..., June 29, 2005
goofydelin (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
Well, I got the unit when it went on sale for $123. I only test it out for my brother before giving it to him, so can't say about the durability. It plays DVD, DVD-R, VCD (CDR), Pics (CDR), MP3 (CDR). The video quality is a bit grainy overall, but can't expect much for a no brander. I used the hack code and change it to region 0, which my brother is happy about. As the other reviewer mentioned, it does has Video/Audio In and out with a switch. Another reviewer said that pics viewing is useless, at first it seems that way because the screen is wide, once you pushed the button under the screen to change the screen size, then the pics looks better. Beware, the warranty is 1 years parts and 3 month labor and you have to send in the registration card within 14 days of purchase. I hope Malata will honor the warranty card I just sent in (I think it'll past 14 days by the time it gets there), 'cause not sure how long this player will last (I guess that's the real test for these no brander). But good thing is that my brother really love this birthday gift (he had it for few days now). So that's all it counts. Now ... if he'll give me a gift like this, then that'll make this a real happy day for both of us :-p But shhhhh ... I don't expect anything in return ... I'm really just a nice guy :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars nice one, April 16, 2005
So far it's been great and it's one of the few portable players that will go region free through the remote, one of the main reasons I got this one. Plays my Dutch discs just fine!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›