Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on BGG

Format: Audio CDChange

"Walk Among Us" indeed features the best material to come from the Misfits, but it's also one of the finest American punk rock albums of all time. Glenn Danzig's ungodly howl fuels fan favorite, classic tracks like "20 Eyes", "I Turned Into a Martian", "All Hell Breaks Loose", "Vampira", "Night of the Living Dead", "Skulls", and of course, "Violent World" and "Astro Zombies". This is the best the Danzig-era Misfits have ever sounded, and even the live take of "Mommy Can I Go Out & Kill Tonight" sounds great here. For classic punk enthusiasts, "Walk Among Us" ranks up there with Black Flag's "Damaged", the Dead Kennedys' "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables", and Minor Threat's "Complete Discography"; real punk rock that wasn't fashioned or produced for radio play. If you are looking to get into the Misfits or just classic punk in general, you can't go wrong with "Walk Among Us".
on February 7, 2006
The Misfits in their glory days represented the trashy, over-the-top, and campy side of punk rock in the late '70s and '80s--they were the anti-Minor Threat. They, along with The Cramps, also played up punk's similarities to the mindless fun of '50s rock 'n' roll and rockabilly, given a modern makeover through silly makeup, shocking lyrics, and B-grade horror.

Which is not to say that Glenn Danzig & Co. didn't rock with absolute fury; they certainly did (there's a reason why Metallica and later metal bands loved covering these guys). But they were also infectious and fun like few other punk bands. And Walk Among Us ably demonstrates the height of The Misfits' powers.

No one can talk about prime Misfits without taking note of Glenn Danzig's glorious "Dark Elvis" voice or his hilariously campy and often offensive (though to their credit they never try to come off as serious, unlike bands like Slayer) lyrics that will have even concerned parents singing along despite themselves. Songs about spontaneously turning into martians and zombies eating brains will never go out of style. It's too bad Glenn started buying into his own sp00k image after leaving The Misfits and became an unintentionally hilarious parody of himself, but no such worries here--it's just good, gore-stained fun for the whole family.

The music behind Glenn is an off-the-wall mix of rockabilly-informed punk with a metal edge (this would be even more prominent on the following release Earth A.D./Wolfsblood, which while good isn't in the same league as this album), insanely catchy harmonies, and blazing speed. Every song is a hit, with the manic 20 Eyes, melodic classic Hatebreeders, ragingly intense Mommy Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight? (performed live), morbidly funny and excessive anthem Skulls, and hilarious ode to zombie destruction Braineaters (complete with "Oi!" chants) being my favorites.

So, why only 4.5 stars if the music is so good? Simple, it's too bloody short. At about 24 minutes Walk Among Us is the shortest real album I own, shorter even than some EP's. I hope this gets re-released with some bonus tracks, because shelling out twelve bucks for only 24 minutes isn't exactly great value. In all fairness though, I'd rather have 24 minutes of absolute classic material than 50 minutes of mixed killer 'n' filler. Anyway, if you claim to love punk at least one Misfits album is mandatory, and this is as good a place to start as any.

P.S. Pay no heed to the Michael Graves-fronted abomination that passes themselves off as The Misfits today; they are nothing more than a cheap imitation.
on April 2, 2005
It doesnt get much more catchy than this for sing-along-able anthemic Punk Rock.If you know the Misfits, and by Misfits I mean the Danzig era, sorry I dont consider the Graves era the Misfits, it's just not the same, then you probabl know that they recorded almost everysong at least twice and sometimes more. Walk among us contains some of the definitive versions of these songs.

I could sing(yell?) 'I turned into a martian' till my head popped off, same with 'Hatebreeders'. Those two in fact would probably have to be my favorites on the album. The best version of 'All Hell..,''Vampira,' and 'Night of the Living dead' available are here. And the Live 'Mommy can I go out and Kill tonight' which was recorded at the same Roxy show that much of Evilive came from.

Great guitar/bass/drum/vocals on what was the best engineered recording of the Glenn(true) era in the misfits evolution. Classic American punk rock about classicly bad horror flicks, how can this formula go wrong? Often imitated, never duplicated. If you are going to try out the Misfits, start out here.
on August 16, 2005
There are not many albums in my life that could really be described as "life changing". The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" (the album that got me into music), The Clash's "London Calling" (the album that made me a little more open minded), and this legendary album, the one that got me into "real" punk rock. At the time that I got this, I was listening to crappy skater punk like Anti Flag and Pennywise. This record really changed the way I looked at punk rock.

Onto the album: The songs are great, and some of the catchiest I've ever heard. In fact, the classics "I Turned Into A Martian" and "Astro Zombies" could very well be my favorite songs of all time. The Misfits were great because of their Ramones-esque simplicity, and because of their funny lyrics, which may seem a little shocking ("Collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall"). However, the best part of this band is Glenn Danzig's amazing voice, which may remind you a bit of Elvis gone punk rock.

If I had one minor complaint, it would be this: I have to admit I enjoy the "Collection" versions of "Vampira", "Hatebreeders", "Skulls", "Astro Zombies", and "Braineaters" quite a bit more. There is just a certain passion on those versions that is not on these versions. Despite that complaint, this is easily the best Misfits studio album, and probably the best punk record of all time.
on May 27, 2006
Today when you look at punk rock now you see a bunch of whiney idiots singing about their crappy life and how they broke up with their girlfriends etc. Now look back during the 70s and 80s when punk was about real rebellion and other interesting topics. I liked most of the old punk bands but my favorite punk group ever was Misfits. Misfits weren't like The Sex Pistols lyrically. The Sex Pistols were about rebellion against the government. Misfits took punk to a brand new direction, with horror themes. This isn't a scary album though. The horror part is light-hearted but funny as well. Glenn Danzig was a pure genius. A lot of people are scared of him but he is my favorite punk rocker. I do however like his new band Danzig more than Misfits. The songs on this album are very short. Even shorter than The Ramones but still the band with the shortest songs is probably Napalm Death. The whole album is around 21 minutes long which is very short but who cares?! This is just a fun punk album with horror themes and evil lyrics to add to. Sadly Misfits sucked ever since Glenn Danzig left the band. They 2 other vocalists but they sucked bad. Luckily Glenn Danzig is in his new band Danzig which is much more heavy metal than punk.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2001
It's embarassing but until a couple weeks ago I've never heard a Misfits song. When my barber played the first two tracks of'Walk Among Us' I had to ask 'What band is this?' He told me it was the Fits' of couse and the name of the CD was 'Walk Among Us'. He proudly went on to say that he's a big time fiend! A couple days later I ordered the CD. I was blown away after the first listening and immediately put it on repeat! Some of my favorites are "Skulls", "I Turned Into A Martian", "Astro-Zombies" and "Brain-Eaters". Since then I've been kicking myself in the @ss for having never picked up a Misfits album before. I plan on getting the rest of them now. And for all of you out there who love B horror and sci-fi flicks and/or punk rock then I suggest you buy this album. You will NOT be dissapointed!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Not many people would want to sing along to songs about turning into martians and eating brains. Me? Sign me the ________ up! This is the best thing about the Misfits. Their songs could rip you off with bad @$$ riffs, and can make you sing along. And when they slow it down a bit and hit the perfect balance between punk rawness and catchy as ___ vintage rock, they can really do it well. Great balance in the songs, as the whole thing flows perfectly.

Oh, and the lyrics. Gotta love the lyrics. Definitely violent, weird, campy, gory. It's just great singing this stuff everywhere. Of course, "normal" people look at you weird when singing "Move a little bit closer. Vampira!" and "Come on up to the devil's whorehouse", but those normal people are wrong. Being clean cut normal is boring. Originality and a little strangeness is good. There obsession with darker stuff is always made fun in their music. Just listen to them yourself.

Best song for me is Skulls. Why the _______ are lines like "Hack the heads of little girls and put em on my wall" and "the blood rains down like devil's rain, we'll bathe tonight" beautiful? Devil's Whorehouse for some reason makes me want to, dance, weirdly. Love the drums, sound like a whip. Derranged greatness. Braineaters? Sing it loud. Sing the whole thing loud!

Take my word for it. It's great fun. It's very short album indeed, but these songs can be listened to more than once, I am sure about that.

on November 30, 2003
Walk Among Us is probably the best album ever (well, I have said that about every Misfit album so I guess this is my favorite of their album's - but I love them all.) All of the songs here are completley horrific, violent and demented - and awesome. The music here is perfect. Fast, punk, catchy and just simply 3-chord punk horror features. I believe this too be the best Misfit's album (compilations and collections don't count). This is also a favorite among the fans, well either this or Static Age. The best songs on this masterpiece are 20 Eyes, I turned Into a Martian, All Hell Breaks Loose, Mommy, Can I go out and kill tonight?, Astro Zombies and Hatebreeders. But it is very hard to choose because all of the songs simply own our feeble souls. This album is probably the best for the Misfit's production wise as well. THe lyrics are generally about the awesome violence, horror and science fiction Glenn, Jerry, Doyle and Goog and cook up in their fiendish minds. I have turned at least 3 people into instant fiends by burning them this album. I also own this on vinyl, which only add's too the already great vibe. This is truley a classic, along with all other Misfits albums.
on February 24, 2006
I've listened to some of the biggest names in punk like the sex pistols, the ramones and black flag, but this album is head and shoulders above all of 'em. Even though you can't listen to this album through amazon (what's up w/ dat?) anyone who likes punk MUST purchase this album.

The album starts driving hard right outta the blocks with arguably the best song on the album("20 eyes") kicking things off. The heavy, well-produced flow doesn't end until "braineaters" ends. It pumps throughout. No wonder these guys were always lifting weights. It would be much to hard to sit still listening to this album or immediately after listening to it without releasing alot of pent-up energy in some way.

Danzig's voice is powerful and melodic. He actually has a great singing voice and doesn't have to rely on shouting like many other punk singers do. For some of his best vocal outputs check out "hatebreeders" and "astro zombies."

on June 8, 2003
The Misfits are more famous for some of their other work, and there are some outstanding songs that are not on this album, but not only is their best work is on this album but the album has no weak point.
The two best songs on this album, perhaps the greatest songs of all time are "Hatebreeders" and "Astro Zombies." It's rare that you can actually identify with Misfits lyrics (who can really identify with Mommy, Can I go out and Kill tonight?), but if you've even been filled with anger and frustration, those two songs will help you join the dark side of the force :). "Prime directive: Exterminate the whole human race."
Other oustanding songs include "Nike A Go Go," "Skulls," and "Devil's Whorehouse." "Skulls" especially captures the atmosphere the Misfits were trying to project with all of their theatrics.
"I Turned into a Martian" is a fun song, and "20 Eyes" is a work of punk rock song writing genius. The album opens with "20 Eyes" and it draws you in immediately... the first time I heard it I nearly creamed my pants it was so perfect.
But "Hatebreeders" is the elite song on the album. "They breed the hate right in your bones." People often say "no punk should be without this album" for a lot of different albums... you should know not to listen to them if they are talking about Blink 182 or some emo-cheese, but you should know to listen to them if they're talking about the Misfits.