Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on January 10, 2006
I will preface this by saying I was never a big Johnny Cash fan, but after seeing the excellent way Hollywood handled Ray Charles ("Ray") and Bobby Darin ("Beyond the Sea") I was anxious to see what it would do for The Man in Black. The results are phenomenal. Now, I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to John and June when they were still living.

Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are phenomenal as Johnny and June Carter Cash. This unlikely casting yields such outstanding results that I would hand them both the Oscar right now if I could. I read that Reese almost bailed on the project when she found out she had to do her own singing, but you would never know it from the great vocals and spunky performances she delivers.

The film focuses on their love affair, first as friends and then torrid even while he was married to his first wife and the mother of his children. His drug abuse is highlighted but it is Johnny Cash, the complex man and his love for June Carter, darling daughter of the close-knit and totally supportive Carter clan, that comes shining through and makes this a totally enjoyable movie.

Two big thumbs up for a movie that thrills from its opening at the infamous Folsom Prison to its spectatcular closing.
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2006
A dilemna here. I loved the movie- think the performances are just terrific. The sound and video are really top-notch and the music really enjoyable. I also enjoyed the deleted scens on the first disc and really to think this is a movie worth adding to the personal collection. The problem I have is the features added to the 2-disc collection. They just are not very good. An example- a special on the Folsom Prison concert- clearly one of the most important steps in Cash's career. The special, though it has interesting excerpts of interviews from people who were there, does not have any footage or stills of the actual concert. I found the same to be true of the other specials on the disc as well. Lots of shots of the two stars but very little of the "Man in Black" himself. I would encourage people to buy the movie but to skip the special edition. It just is not worth the extra money, unless you really need five postcards of the stars from the film.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 18, 2005
In WALK THE LINE, Joaquin Phoenix shows that he's come a long way since his role as the crazy Caesar in GLADIATOR.

Those going into WALK THE LINE thinking it's a comprehensive film bio of Johnny Cash may perhaps come out slightly disappointed. While there's a relative brief sequence of his early years growing up on an Arkansas cotton farm, an even briefer sequence of his time in the Air Force in the early 50s, the film really begins in 1955 when, failing as a door-to-door salesman and wannabe gospel singer, he cuts a rock 'n' roll record for Sun Studios in Memphis and his career as a CW crooner takes off. The film ends with his marriage to June Carter in 1968. In between, against the backdrop of early hits, it focuses on his failed marriage to first wife Vivian (Ginnifer Goodwin), his self-destructive abuse of amphetamines, and rocky relationship with singer/actress Carter (Reese Witherspoon), a twice-divorced single mother of two.

The real treat of WALK THE LINE is watching Phoenix and Witherspoon amaze with Oscar-caliber dramatic performances. Who would have suspected that the latter was capable of anything other than light comedy?

In case you haven't seen the film and you're wondering, Phoenix and Witherspoon themselves sing the Cash/Carter material; they're surprisingly effective. Mind you, I've never been such a Cash fan that I've possessed any of his albums, and I've only previously downloaded one of his songs ("City of New Orleans"). Indeed, when Phoenix and Witherspoon recreate the Cash/Carter duet of "Jackson", my first thought was: Didn't Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood do that?

Coming out of the screening, my wife remarked that Phoenix sounded very much like Johnny himself. My response was a non-committal but prudent "Mmmm". Back home at the computer, I downloaded a couple more Cash songs, including his "Jackson" duet with Carter. To my ears, the real Cash had a singing voice that was slightly hoarser, and with a more pronounced slow drawl than Joaquin's version. While that doesn't detract from the actor's performance, it may cause purists to grumble.

The film's opening scene is of two guards on a tower at Folsom Prison listening to the bass "thump, thump, thump" washing over the prison yard from the hall in which Cash is about to perform his famous concert before the inmates. My wife and I were sitting in the front row of the studio screening theater and the sound reverberated through our bones. I knew then that WALK THE LINE was going to be an exceptional film.
44 comments| 323 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2008
On March 25th, 2008, Fox Home Entertainment released Walk The Line 2-Disc Extended Cut. The DVD features the following...

Disc 1:

Ring of Fire: The Passion of Johnny & June featurette
Cash and his Faith featurette
Celebrating the Man in Black: The Making of Walk the Line featurette
Walk the Line Theatrical Trailer

As for what is actually new about the Extended Cut, most of the new material is spread throughout. The new scenes range from a few seconds to a minute or two.

The Extended Cut is presented in it's original aspect ratio, 2.39:1. As with most Extended/Director's Cuts, a fullscreen version isn't offered.

Now for the special features, you get quite a helping on this release. They range from featurettes about the movies production such as the music, casting...etc.

Unless you really enjoyed Walk The Line, I seriouslly doubt you will double or even triple dip for this release. But if you really enjoyed it then an upgrade is warranted.
on February 19, 2006
It could be said that "Walk the line" is a movie about the life of Johnny Cash, a very well-known American artist that overcame all kinds of difficulties to become famous and share his music with the public. However, it would be more accurate to point out that this film is centered both on Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix) and June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), and the love they had for each other.

The opening sequence is wonderful, and will make you realize that you weren`t wrong in choosing to watch "Walk the line". That feeling is likely to be specially strong if, like me, you don't really know a lot about Johnny Cash, and just want to watch a good and entertaining film. Notwithstanding that, you will also end up learning quite a few things about one of the most important American musicians of all time, and about a period in which many conventions were being broken by new artists.

This film tells the spectator about Johnny Cash's childhood and his bad relationship with his father (played by Robert Patrick), his time in the Air Force, and the beginnings of his music career, when he met people like Jerry Lee Lewis (Waylon Malloy Payne), Elvis (Tyler Hilton), and the love of his life, singer June Carter. There was a big problem though: Cash was already married to another woman, Vivian (Ginnifer Goodwin), something that June didn't forget, and repeated to Johnny every time she rejected his attempts to go beyond a friendship.

The scenes where Johnny struggles with his addiction to drugs and with depression are quite difficult to watch, probably due to the fact that Joaquin Phoenix delivers a splendid performance. Reese Witherspoon is also outstandingly good as June, the person that saves Johnny Cash from himself.

All the same, I want to mention that "Walk the line" is not all about drama. There are funny moments too, and also some wonderful scenes recreating Johnny's concerts that allow you to listen to the real deal. Oh well, maybe not the real deal, because Phoenix and Witherspoon did their own singing, but their version of those concerts is an extremely good one. I am seriously thinking about buying not only a cd with Cash's more important songs, but also another with the soundtrack of this movie. Listening to Phoenix singing "Folsom Prison Blues" is no hardship!

On the whole, I cannot recommend this movie strongly enough. It is not perfect, but it is the kind of movie that you simply must see and enjoy. No regrets :)

Belen Alcat
on April 6, 2008
Even if you are not a die-hard fan of Johnny Cash, you will likely enjoy this movie. His life truly warranted a big screen treatment! The music is terrific and Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon give spellbinding performances. This really is a 5 star movie but I am deducting one star as 20th Century Fox is basically performing a bit of a "gouging" of the customer here, because anyone that enjoyed this DVD enough to own it probably bought it last year in one of the earlier formats. Funny enough, upon the initial DVD release, there were two versions - the basic, and a "collectors" version with all the great extras. Now, only one year later the "collectors" version is made useless with this new "extended cut" but has many of the same extras. This should have been released last year.
VINE VOICEon February 28, 2006
I had a feeling that I would really like "Walk the Line," but I had no idea that is was such an AMAZING film! I didn't know Joaquin Phoenix had it in him. He did an incredible job bringing Johnny Cash to life. The movie chronicles Cash's rise to fame, his severe drug problem, and his relationship with June Carter (Reese Witherspoon). Phoenix and Witherspoon are PHENOMENAL! It would not be possible for anyone to portray Johnny and June with more accuracy, and their singing is FABULOUS! This movie is such a wonderful tribute to Cash's life and music, and it's also a beautiful love story. (I completely teared up during the final concert scene at the end of the film...how romantic!) In addition to Phoenix and Witherspoon, the supporting cast boasts excellent performances by Ginnifer Goodwin as Cash's first wife, Vivian, and Robert Patrick as Johnny's father. Everything about this movie is perfect...I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time!

A lot of great movies were released last year, but "Walk the Line" was definitely one of the better ones...it is a MASSIVE OVERSIGHT that the film wasn't rewarded with a Best Picture nomination by the Academy Awards committee. Hopefully Phoenix and Witherspoon will walk away with the top honors, though...they definitely deserve it.
on February 21, 2006
I recently saw this in the theater and had mixed feelings going in. The story seemed similar to last year's Oscar winning biopic on Ray Charles and I wasn't sure a story about Johnny Cash would hold my interest for two hours. After all, this was the singer my dad used to listen to. Little did I know how fascinating Cash's tale would be.

The story touches on Cash's childhood and the tragedy and abuse that would provide the basis for many of his songs. Johnny Cash didn't have the nicest voice but when he sings about pain and regret, you honestly believe he's inside Folsom Prison. Most of the film charts Cash's inevitable path from aspiring songwriter to cultural icon. He has the expected bumps along the way but the tale ends up being inspiring. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon turn in Oscar worthy performances as Cash and his wife and frequent collaborator June Carter Cash. A fun part of the films is that Johnny and June were contemporaries of Elvis, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis and we get to see them represented as well.

These kinds of movies are good for people of my generation because they bring home exactly how innovative and visionary the performers of the past were. It's easy to hear Johnny Cash's voice over an Alamo commercial or see Ray Charles crooning about Diet Pepsi and think they are just silly old men trying to milk their fame. Movies like this make us reinvestigate their pasts to see exactly how trend setting they were. Johnny Cash and Ray Charles were cool, they were the very essence of cool. It would be difficult to imagine the performers of today, many of whom are overindulged and overrated, paying the kinds of dues these guys did and coming up with anything as unique.
on June 20, 2006
In New Zealand, this was on for about two months at the main cinemas. After that, it was on for AT LEAST another month at the small-town cinemas. This is one of the most fantastic films you have ever see, I guarantee that. It only came out of the small cinemas when it came out on VHS/DVD.

It is a true story of success, fame, drugs, heartbreak and unhappiness - and about getting back on track. It is the story of the great Johnny Cash's life.

Mum (who is a big fan of Johnny Cash) dragged me off to town to see it and I must say I loved it.

It is very well done, and Phoenix and Witherspoon have good voices. I recommend it to all ages, though I don't think anyone under ten should be seeing it, as there is a lot of drugs in it.
on February 17, 2006
Having just seen the movie for the second time,just in time for the Oscars,I can truly say that this is one of the best musical biopics I've ever seen.The "Man In Black" stands tall next to last year's "Ray" as a testiment to the power of a well told story....especially if it's true.

For this generation of movie goers,"Walk The Line" is a real eye-opener in terms of showing younger audiences just how powerful an impact Johnny Cash made in the music world.For older audiences who've been fans of Cash for years,the film confirms what they already knew:Johnny Cash carried all of the weight of the misery he endured in his life in every dark vocal he sang.

The film itself follows the new form of telling bios in that they try and have a "moral" to the story.In the case of "Ray",it was how a person with a disability could overcome to achieve great things.In "Walk The Line",the moral center of this tale is how the love of a good woman can save a man's soul.

On that note,the film follows the rise of Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix) from his beginings as the "black sheep" youngest child to a poor cotton farming family,who was haunted by the death of his sainted big brother,to his stint in the Air Force,through his early recording years at the legendary Sun Records Studio,through his struggle with an addiction to alcohol and drugs,to his redemption thanks to his singing partner and friend,June Carter (Reese Witherspoon).

Aside from being a great romantic tale,the film also serves as a lesson in music history.As Johnny rises to fame at Sun Records through early hits such as "Cry,Cry,Cry","Get Rhythm",and "Folsom Prison Blues",he goes out on tour with Sun's other rising young stars:Jerry Lee Lewis (played to looney perfection by Waylon Malloy),Carl Perkins,Roy Orbison,Waylon Jennings (played by his son,Shooter Jennings),and of course,Elvis Presley.For me personally,at 26,I only heard Cash's big hits like "Walk The Line" and "Folsom".I did not know he sang "Get Rhythm".The first time I saw the film,there were alot of 20-somethings in there like me who probably didn't know much about Cash.....I wonder if any of them went out and got one of his Greatest Hits Collections.....

As I close this out,I'd like to point out something that I've seen other reviewers grumble about:Joaquin and Reese's singing.First off,NOBODY sounds like Johnny Cash.That being said,I give Phoenix an "A" for effort.Hey!At least he learned to play the guitar and tried to sound like Cash.That's what gave the film the weight of reality it needed.The same goes with Reese's singing and portrayal of June Carter.She may not've been "note perfect" in sounding like June....but I think her portrayal proves that she can act outside of "fluffy" romantic comedies.

If you're looking for a damn good,not to mention entertaining,biopic...."Walk The Line" fills the bill....Now.... If you'll excuse me...I must go and pre-order my copy of the film.