Walk It Out - Nintendo Wii
Price:$29.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews (3 star)show all reviews
on June 28, 2010
Verified Purchase
The premise of Walk It Out is simple - use your wiimote/nunchuck to walk around a virtual island to the beat of music. Each step taken gives you a chip (the game's currency), and you use those chips to buy pieces of the island, such as trees and street lamps. These purchases are in realtime, which means that you click on them as you walk, and the purchased item immediately pops up and becomes part of the island.

It's a simple, unique and effective way to keep you walking - in theory. In practice, however, there are two fundamental problems with this game that make it almost unplayable. Fortunately the game allows you to fix them, if you know how.

First, although the game asks you to keep in time with the beat of the music, it's just not responsive enough to keep up with its own demands. So what ends up happening is that you walk in time with the rhythm, but the game doesn't acknowledge all of your steps. This makes you lose chips.

This problem can be solved by changing the stepping mode in the settings to "half" (counts every other step), instead of "quarter" (counts every step).

Second, in order to build the island, you need to click on small spheres AS YOU'RE WALKING... which is fine if you are a professional sniper with cat-like reflexes. However most of us are going to need to pause and aim our wiimotes at the spheres. Guess what happens when you do this? Yep, you lose chips!

This can be fixed in the settings by turning off the miss penalty.

I'm grateful that the game allows you to fix its flaws in the settings, but it shouldn't have to be fixed in the first place. Because of this, I'm giving it 3 stars.
on March 20, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchased the Wii Walk It Out game after reading reviews that assured that it's just as much of a walking workout as it is a game. After using it a few times I'll have to agree! I'm no kid and not familiar with much of the music featured in the game but the beats are very infectious and it's sometimes amusing to see what those lyrics are that you can't understand when listening to the music! I use my Wii nunchuk, which seems to work pretty well tucked in a pocket as described. The workout incorporates some very good intervals for walkers with low to moderate fitness. The weak point I find is that I can't hit any of the targets that expand the landscape without stopping walking because I can't aim the remote steadily enough. So I mostly keep walking and don't pay much attention to where I'm going. I suppose I could have gotten a similar workout with an audio tape but the game provides a little more visual stimulation and positive feedback along the way. It only takes about 20-25 minutes to get in 5000 steps and 10,000 steps show up before you know it. I usually do my indoor walking with Leslie Sansone workouts. The Walk It Out game doesn't give you the upper body and strength training Leslie's workouts do but it's a nice change when you want something different.
on March 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
I give this a 3 with a basis of 5 being Wii Fit Plus wich has great workout games and lots of variety. I wanted something fun and not as intense for inbetween days and for variety. I am in my early forties, overweight, but very active. I bike, walk, swim etc. and wanted something to use indoors during the winter.

When I first played the game I thought it was the most boring thing ever. It took me a few times to figure it all out. The instruction manual is very poorly written. You can go to the web page and download a more detailed version, which I highly recomend. It has explained a lot to me. As I played and figured it out it got better. It claims that the songs are my favorite hits, but with one exception, I have never heard any of them. They are not to bad, just a little too much "bee-bop" for me, but you can walk to most of them easily, and they sort of grow on you. It is not a real intense workout for me, so I have added a step. I alternate between just regular walking steps and stepping on and off a 4 inch step and that makes it a more intense workout. I use the nunchuck, so this system works well for me.

One plus has been that my kids actually like this game too. When you walk with someone it is more fun. You get to steal points from each other and save to open up new paths or add cool stuff to the island. I walked over 10,000 steps with my 11 year old son the other day. I like games that get them moving!

The most annoying thing so far is that you have to unlock new songs, which is not easy. You have to click on a certain song's CD 4 times before it unlocks and you have no idea which CD you are clicking so it takes a long time to unlock a song. So, I have been walking to the same songs for a while now. But I will work at getting new songs unlocked. As other reviews have stated it is hard to click on the little floating icons without stopping, but I am also getting better at that too.
on February 8, 2011
Verified Purchase
Since it is cold here in the East and I am 74 years old and love to walk but it is a little difficult to do this year with the weather. So my family bought me a Wii for Christmas so I could get some exercise. I found this workout that seemed to be fit for an older person. I read a review from someone else who used it and liked it.
I am still learning it and have not used it a lot. I like what I have already accomplished with it. I use the remonte and num chuck only. Which works great for what I want to do.
on August 17, 2014
My family has had Walk It Out! for two and a half years now. I was the first to finish my island, doing so in six weeks. Overall the game is good, but there are some significant drawbacks that prevent me from giving it a 5.

Pros:
1. It has helped me reach my daily step count goals many times, and it is entertaining enough for me to play it several times per week. I always find all the rainbow spheres, walk around some more to hit the previous time's scores, and end up staying on for almost an hour.
2. You can walk at night if you have unlocked the Magical Clock pieces needed to "travel" to that hour. I think the night is very pretty, and as an added bonus, it is the only time you can find the parts for the constellations. I also think anything that has something to do with the night sky is cute, so I am in luck!
3. A large portion of the music is good. I am not saying all of it, but approximately 75 percent is decent. So much better than the music on the radio lately! There are a few songs that are (or at least were at the time this game came out in 2009) popular songs that had been released and sent to the radio. They are okay, but I prefer the ones that were never that popular and/or have very few words.
4. I like the ability to "turn off" songs I don't like, especially considering that not all of the music is that good.
5. You can change your height and weight, and it doesn't check to see if you're lying. I have used this to get diamonds in calories and miles.
6. You can pick from the whole collection and a handful of other playlists. I use the "Upbeat Treats" (fast songs) playlist almost exclusively, and this is so that I can not only take more steps on my pedometer in the same amount of time but also get the rainbow spheres quicker and don't spend twenty years trying to get across the island.

Cons:
1. I understand that walking to the beat is the point of the game, but I wish I could turn off the music and just walk at your own pace. My walking rhythm is a very steady 136 steps per minute already, so I wish I could simply walk at my own default pace.
2. You have to stay on the routes. I think the overall experience would be better if you could go wherever you want or even off the main map. Maybe there should be special controls for if you wanted to turn left or right, just that you didn't have to turn at an intersection. I also think it would be good if we could go off the main map and see other neat things, like a lush jungle, a beautiful beach, or a snowy mountain.
3. The trainers are very talkative and annoying. I picked Warren, the male trainer, and he is too informal-sounding for my tastes. It especially bothers me that when he announces the results, sometimes he will say, "What the? I can't believe this!" I think that that kind of language borders on swearing.
4. I stated already that most of the music is good, but needless to say, there are several bad ones. "Get Ur Freak On" (sic) is a very inappropriate song, in that it has the F word in it, and it wasn't even bleeped out for the game! "A Little Somethin'" also seems inappropriate, and the sheer fact that I'm not a rap fan makes it even worse.
5. After you complete the island (which took me only six weeks), there are no more new things to find or look at, just the rainbow spheres each day.

Other things:
I prefer walking at night, so whenever I start a game, after a few songs I always change the time to something in the late evening.
I have also calculated that the sunrise on the island is at 6:00 a.m. and the sunset is at 6:00 p.m.
I have noticed that people on the island are still out during the evening and nighttime hours. It is as if they don't care about getting enough sleep every night.

Overall, it is good, but there are some flaws. 7 out of 10.
on February 14, 2010
Verified Purchase
Well I enjoy walking a lot,but this game wants you to walk to the beat of music which is so crazy,cause most of the music they want you to walk to doesn't have good rhythm to walk to.
but it's still somewhat fun,wish they made the outside a little more realistic to nature to walk to...like a nice park, are a real running track mix it up , like hills ...ETC.I can't see KIDS like it at all,its boring.The games they what you to play while walking is dull as well.I would rather walk to the sound of nature then that lame Music they what you to walk too.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
While I enjoy the "game", being an older person, and just trying to start getting some exercise, after being a couch potato for sometime, it is still a little fast. My biggest complaint, there is very little music that I really appreciate, at least at the stage I'm currently at. Would have liked some easy listening, country, and music from musicals thrown in as well. We aren't all into the type of music I see listed so far.
If they were to make these changes, sure I would buy it again.
Older Walk It Out Woman
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
I didn't know anything about this game, but wanted it for so long. After the price went down quite a bit, I finally bought it. I've played it for the last 2 days now, it's interesting. I didn't really get what was going on at first with the capsules. I just kept clicking on them and walking to the beat, I finally had to read a guide for it. It's addicting, and overall entertaining enough for someone who wants to find a new way to workout without thinking about working out. Give it a try!
on May 12, 2014
Verified Purchase
It was hard to keep the kids interested in it. When all you do is walk in different settings, thry got tired of it.
on January 15, 2014
Verified Purchase
Could not locate it in any stor due to I was told it was out dated. We are having fun.