1,092 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of advice: Don't judge a book by its cover
Published on March 7, 2004 by E. R. Bird

1.0 out of 5 stars Read with your child or they should skip
My 6th grader was required to read this in his class. He came home very upset by the unyieldingly depressing tone of the book, the disturbing description of a stillbirth, the child abandonments that occur throughout, and the affair that the grandmother had. It may be a well-written book, but if your child is younger than 13, I wouldn't suggest this one. If your child's...
Published 22 months ago by Suzibec

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of advice: Don't judge a book by its cover, March 7, 2004
This review is from: Walk Two Moons (Paperback)
I wasn't paying attention to the Newbery debates the year "Walk Two Moons" won. In my own humble opinion, after reading this book, I can't imagine how any other was even seriously considered a contender. "Walk Two Moons" is a book as infinitely wise as it is funny. The rare book that can serve up a rousing good story while teaching you a little about the very nature of life, death, loving and grieving. This is a book ostensibly written for children but so incredibly mature that after finishing it you just sit staring at the picture of author Sharon Creech on the book flap thinking over and over in your head, "How did she do it? How did she do it? How did she do it?"
"Walk Two Moons" follows the tales and travels of Salamanca (Sal) Tree Hiddle. Traveling with her parents to Idaho in the hopes of bringing her mother back with her, the juggles two storylines simultaneously. On the one hand, we have Sal, trying to deal with the fact that her mother left her. On the other is Sal's story of her friend Pheobe who's own mother up and left her family one day. While dealing with the painfully realistic reactions children have to such departures on the part of their parents, it also gives us glimpses into families that are rock solid in their love and devotion. You have Sal's grandparents that are taking the trip to Idaho with her. As you learn more about them, you realize how wonderful and tragic their life has been, with a deep abiding love. Also, Sal's friend Mary Lou's family is a rambunctious crew of crazy wonderful people, always messy and always affectionate.
Just describing the plot of this book really doesn't do it any justice. There are just so many things to admire about it. Through her narrator Creech somehow is able to convey a wisdom that goes beyond Sal's own understandings and words. Moreover, though Sal is perhaps one of the sanest people in this story, she is also an incredibly unreliable narrator. I admit, the ending caught me completely off guard. I should have seen it coming, and I didn't. This is the kind of book where you have to read it all the way through once, and then read it all the way through a second time just to pick up all the tiny clues you missed the first time. Along the way, everything from the heart of life to the despair of death is explored carefully and respectfully. Creech is able to repeatedly bring up the motif of "Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins", without ever becoming preachy or didactic. How does she do it? How is this amazing author able to tie every little metaphor and plot point up so perfectly by the book's end?
Critics of the book like to dismiss it for a variety of sins. They claim it hasn't any strong female characters. Apparently Mary Lou's working mom doesn't count. Nor Pheobe's neighbor, a woman who had to deal with the death of her husband and blindness of her mother all on her own. Nor, for that matter, Sal herself. An amazingly capable young woman who is not perfect, but contains all the qualities of a person learning what life is all about. Critics also claim the book is dull. Sorry, folks. It ain't. The book does not suffer from pages of descriptive passages. The characters speak with zing and verve. The plot is fascinating.
I have only ever read two Newbery winners that I truly felt were some of the best children's books ever written. The first was Louis Sacher's "Holes". The second was Sharon Creech's "Walk Two Moons". If you ever read two books intended for kids, I suggest you pick these two without hesitation. Generations from now they will remain the most beloved of this day and age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take a cross-country trip with a very special young girl., September 22, 2009
Salamanca Tree Hiddle's grandparents have agreed to take her on a cross-country trip to Idaho to see her mother. About a year ago, Sal's mother left their farm in Kentucky, telling everyone she needed to find herself. For a while, Sal received postcards from her mother, but when they stopped arriving it's as if Sal's life has been put on hold.

She hates her new life in Ohio, and hasn't made many friends in school. She certainly doesn't like her father's new friend, Mrs. Margaret Cadaver! As she and her grandparents set out on the trip to Idaho, the old couple ask Sal to tell them stories. The stories Sal tells are about her classmate, Phoebe Winterbottom, and it's strange, but as Sal talks about Phoebe and her family not only do things become clearer about her friend...they become clearer about herself and her own family.

Sal's voice is so winning in Walk Two Moons that I could sit and listen to her tell an endless number of stories. She tells the truth even when she puts herself in a bad light. By the time Sal and her grandparents reach Idaho, the young girl's going to have some growing up to do, but after reading this book, I know she's going to be just fine.

Walk Two Moons won the Newbery Medal in 1995. In my experience, it's the only book award that hasn't steered me wrong. If you're in the mood for a fast-paced book about love, loss and the complexity of human emotions and relationships, please read Sharon Creech's moving book. Sal's a very special young girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book for Readers Willing to Go Where it Takes Them, August 15, 2001
This review is from: Walk Two Moons (Paperback)
This book is a beautiful story about an amazing girl. It is a multitude of stories woven into one another. The first time I read this book I was thirteen and I laughed and cried as I read it. Now I am sixteen and I read the book again recently. It didn't hit me as hard, but it still moved me. You don't have to have tragedy going on in your life to understand Salamanca (the main character), especially if you're just starting your teen years. You see, Walk Two Moons is about growing up. It's about leaving the fairy world that you live in and beginning to understand things about the world that are difficult to accept. Salamanca is being forced out of the safety, and blind contentment of childhood. We all go through it. For her, it was the disappearance of her mother. Maybe for us it was something smaller and more trivial. Either way, the idea is the same.
It's a very real story. It doesn't paint women as people who always do right and are perfect. I'm glad it doesn't! Sharon Creech has created some fascinating, wonderfully flawed women who have made mistakes, and experienced hard times, but are still good people. And Salamanca Tree Hiddle, our main character, is a truly insipiring, intelligent, interesting, and amazing girl. Reading this a sixteen year old I realized what a well written, engaging story Walk Two Moons is. However, at a younger age, the story did something more meaningful. It made me realize that there were people out ther feeling, on some level, the things that I was feeling. I recommend this for 12, 13, 14 year olds. It may mean the most to them. But it is a terrific story, and I'm sure entertaining for people of many ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mother/Daughter reading!, December 30, 1999
By A Customer
My older daughter and I read this book together when she was 11, having rescued it from a cousin's dusty bookshelf. We both fell in love with the characters from the start, and were completely drawn into the story of Salamanca and her family. The story delves sensitively into the life of a thirteen year old girl to whom all girls will relate in one way or another. As a mother, it also made me cherish even more the wonderful/mysterious relationship I have with my daughter. Two years later, we still talk about this book and how much we both enjoyed it, and even re-read certain passages to each other on occasion. We have also mutually devoured anything else we can find written by Ms. Creech, including "Chasing Redbird" and "Bloomabilities," in which the author has interwoven tidbits from "Walk Two Moons" that leave the reader feeling deliciously connected. Yes, Ms. Creech's tales do have sad themes, although bittersweet might be a better adjective. I am especially appreciative that her writing does not contain unecessary themes or inappropriate imagery as is often found in novels for young teens. My daughter and I heartily reccommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk Two Moons, October 11, 2002
This review is from: Walk Two Moons (Paperback)
Walk Two Moons is a great book. It is about Salamanca Tree Hiddle, a girl who has lots of adventures, and her grandparents, who love listening to Sal's stories, in the car on the drive from Bybanks, Kentucky, to Lewistown, Idaho. Along the way Sal tells the story of Phoebe Winterbottom. Phoebe is Sal's friend. she is a girl who worries a lot and always looks at things in the worst case scenerio. Phoebe's mother dissappears and then Phoebe's family begins receiving secret messages. In the middle of Sal telling Phoebe's story Sal's grandmother becomes ill. At that point the stories of both Phoebe and Sal take a turn.
Sharon Creech, an amazing author, weaves together two tales, with feelings of sadness, happiness, love, mystery, and tragedy that will keep you turning the page for more.
Sharon Creech's novel, Walk Two Moons, can make you laugh with joy, weep with grief, and have love in your heart in just one chapter. Read this facinating book today!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the very best book I ever read!, July 8, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Walk Two Moons (Library Binding)
Walk Two Moons is my all-time favorite book. It has a rare combination of humor, mystery, adventure, and sentimentality that make reading it a real experience-an experience that I never get tired of.
The book, in reality, is two stories: The first (the emotional and mysterious one) being that of 13-year-old Salamanca Tree Hiddle (Sal) and the turbulent times after her beloved mother leaves her. The second story (the one with the humor, aventure, and more mystery) is one Sal is telling her grandparents on a car trip from Ohio to Idaho, where Sal hopes to find her mother. It is the story of Phoebe Winterbottom, Sal's best friend, Phoebe's mother (who also disappeared), and Phoebe's wild imagination.
The transitions between these stories are handled surprisingly well; where most authors would have trouble avoiding clumsy jumps between plots, Ms. Creech has laced them together to the point that one could almost not exist without the other.
As it turns out, these two stories are woven together in more ways than one, and the knowledge Sal draws from them, her grandparents, her trip, and herself, finally give her the strength to face the truth about her mother.
I would recommend this book to anyone, and after reading it I passed it on to my best friend and mother, both of whom adored it. To miss this book would be a tragedy

5.0 out of 5 stars I walked the best FIVE moons!, January 30, 2000
Heather (Brighton, Michigan) - See all my reviews
The book Walk Two Moons is a mix of things. It is humorus, touching, and sad. It's the kind of book where you get a headache from turning the pages nonstop. It can have an impact on your life, and can learn a lot from Sal's personality. She is a girl who has had a lot of bad times, and is persistent all the way through. I would not have been that strong at all!Sharon Creech is a very talented writer, and once you read the first page, you will finish the whole book in a day! This isn't just a regular book to read, it's very special, and the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 9 year-old daughter and I read this book; she says:, April 25, 1997
By A Customer
Walk Two Moons is a wonderful story by Sharon Creech. Sharon Creech has also written two other books, and they are Pleasing the Ghost and Absolutely Normal Chaos.

Walk Two Moons is a story about a girl named Salamanca Tree Hiddle who lives in Baybanks, Kentucky. Everything is fine with the plants and animals everywhere. One day, her mother moves away to Idaho. Then Sal's father plucks her up like a weed and drags her 100 miles north, stopping at Euclid, Ohio. Sal ends up going on a trip with her grandparents (who got arrested on their last trip) to see her mother in Idaho.

"Spin us a story," her grandfather says to her. So Sal tells her grandparents a story about a friend and a "lunatic" who is not a lunatic at all! As Sal tells this story, she slowly reveals the story of her life. When she gets to Idaho, she discovers that an awful secret is true. Then something very bad happens.

I think that Walk Two Moons is sad, funny, happy, and wonderful at the same time! I felt like I was having the same experience as Sal as I read this book.
By Ev

4.0 out of 5 stars Huzza Huzza, January 28, 2004
This review is from: Walk Two Moons (Paperback)
Walk Two Moons is a story of love and adventure. It was written by Sharon Creech and won the 1995 Newbery Medal. I laughed and cried when I read it, but what I found out in the end just blew my breath away.
Salamanca a thirteen year old girl lives with her father.She goes on a road trip with her grandparents to visit her mother who had left when Salamanca was young. They were driving to Lewiston, Idaho. While they are driving Salamanca tells a story about a girl named Phoebe,the adventures they had together and while Salamanca tells the story she notices how it relates to her own story. On the way to Idaho something terrible happens to Gram, Salamanca's grandmother. Finally when Salamanca reaches Lewiston she goes to visit her mother, but what she finds isn't exactly her normal mother but something different.
I recommend Walk Two Moons to someone who likes books with adventure, mystery and sadness. When I was reading it I couldn't put it down. It made me think about life in a whole new way. At the end I cried for a long time because the end was devistating, but very well written. Sharon Creech has a way with words and is a wonderful author. Walk Two Moons is a magnificent book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Walk Two Moons, January 16, 2002
This review is from: Walk Two Moons (Paperback)
Walk Two Moons is about a girl named Sal and a girl named Pheobe Their both moms have left them and Sal and Phoebe both decide to go and try to find them. Sal is going to look for her mom with her grandma and grandpa. Sal's mother is missing so they move to a different town with her father. One day at her new school she meets a girl named Phoebe. After a while thy both became really good friends. After school one day they both find out that her mom is missing.
I'm giving this story 4 out of five stars because it was fun to read and there were lots of excitement. The bad stuff about it was too long of a book. Their are too many people dying in the story, some times when its excitement it becomes not that exciting. After all it's still a good book.

Walk Two Moons
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (Paperback - December 27, 2011)
$6.99 $3.94