Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Flavor: Strathspey Fruit|Size: 17.6 Ounce|Change
Price:$10.97+ $7.06 shipping

on January 15, 2011
I have ordered this cake three times in the past 15 months. We love marzipan and this cake epitomizes great preparation, presentation and proportion of marzipan. We do not care for traditional fruitcake, but this cake is very different. It's abundance of delicious high-end fruits and moist cake make it taste out-of-the-ordinary. Try it, you will not be disappointed.
Amazon offers the most competitive pricing, when you order it directly from them, not a MarketPlace vendor. We found out that we have to watch our carbs (sugar, etc.) intake. so we don't order it as often as we would like.
on January 5, 2012
...once you have a taste for this iced fruit cake it's hard to stop buying it. The icing is not thick, perhaps a 3/32 of an inch, though the marzipan is at least 1/2 inch. It was one of the seasons highlights when my mother made chrismas cake, though the other way around, thick icing and thinner marzipan...but even so this cake is delicious, and the marzipan/icing combination is such a strong flavor who cares what the ratio's are, i'm still buying it in january.
on December 15, 2015
I'm so glad Amazon didn't let me cancel my order! After placing my order for a 28oz cake for $40 I started getting buyers remorse. I read the reviews and felt even worse! I'm not sure if the comments about the size were for a smaller cake but this is NOT the size of a large muffin. It was expensive for the size but the cake was enough to give all 7 of us a good size piece with some leftover. It's very dense so you don't need a huge piece! It was moist and had a very good Glenfiddich flavor! Yes the majority of the cake were sultans but I think some people couldn't see the other fruit mixed in because the color was the same. I'm glad I purchased this for a special treat. I included a pic so you could compare the size to a standard coffee mug. Also took a pic of the inside. I don't want people to be scared off by the negative reviews.
review image review image
on December 3, 2010
I ordered this with a large multi-pack of Walker's Shortbread, and was quite surprised to find them both shipped inside the same (not large) box. That was my first clue that this was going to be smaller than the average fruit cake. The confirmation came when I opened it up...

Very fine packaging--I wanted to keep the box, but the wife quickly "recycled" it.

The Whiskey Cake itself is outstanding in both flavor and texture. It's not the absolute best manufactured "fruit cake" I've ever eaten, but it's certainly quite delicious. The sultanas and whiskey do a fantastic job keeping the cake moist, though you'll obviously want to keep it in a sealed container once opened.

For the price, it's a very reasonable value for a high-quality, delicious cake, whether considered a whiskey cake, fruit cake, or whatever. Certainly worth making a holiday tradition! And, as an added bonus, it's small enough to be easily re-gifted if it's not your sort of thing.
on December 26, 2010
Okay: just in case you're not familiar, a whisky cake is basically a fruit cake with a good swig of whisky thrown in for flavour. That's what we get here. I think the term "shortbread" is just used as part of the "Walker's Shortbread" brand, because as far I noticed, there was nary a trace of anything even remotely like shortbread to be found.

As fruit cakes go, this one is defintiely top of the range. It's a great cake. I confess my own pallet is nowhere near refined enough to specifically identify Glenfiddich as the whisky used, but hey, yours may differ.

But yes, as fruit cakes go, this is definitely a five star one. No question. Hence the rating. On the other hand, it is also a very expensive one. If I were going to factor "value for money" into my rating, I'd probably knock it down to just four stars.

One final thought: the tin in which this cake is comes is a nice and enduring one, and the lid is not of the type that is damaged when removed. So hey, as an added bonus you also get something pretty in which to store buttons, loose change, or whathaveyou. If you're like me, the tin will still be around for many years after the cake is long gone.

Theo.
on January 31, 2012
I love Waler fruit cakes, a bit of decadence for the holiday season. Full of flavor with the fruit and estra bit of sweetness with the marizapan icing creates a wonderful richness for the palate.
on February 2, 2014
Exactly as it should be, not sure how they did it. However having English Christmas cake on a sunny Carolina day in the winter was wonderful. Americans are not in love with fruit cake, but the ex-pats were all over this
on August 9, 2011
I know it may sound like an oxymoron, but this is a delicious fruitcake. Really dense and moist, I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality and complex flavor of the cake.

It's not super "chunky" like some traditional American fruitcakes are - in fact, the cake is pretty smooth with only little candied bits through it.

It is small, but for a small after dinner sweet for four people (perhaps served with a single malt?) it's perfect. Great to keep in the cupboard for unexpected company/visits!
on November 5, 2013
I got hooked on fruit cake when I lived in London years ago. This cake has a very thick marzipan layer, which is then covered by a generous layer of fondant. I like my fruit cake heated for a few seconds in the microwave, and served with a bit of butter, heavy cream, whipped cream, or a tiny bit of ice cream. This will help moisten up the cake, as it is a bit dry. Flavor is magnificent. It is as good as Marks & Spencer frosted fruitcake ... which is saying something!
on October 19, 2012
The whiskey cake is the size of a large muffin, such as the large muffins they have at Costco. The cake I received was very moist and the expiration date was about a year away. As for taste it is very rich, you probably won't be able to eat very much in one sitting. I split mine up in to four pieces and ate one piece each day after dinner. To me it is essentially a fruit cake with a hint of whiskey in it. I did enjoy this cake and plan on buying more for the upcoming holidays.