5.0 out of 5 stars Paxton hates me - he's just pretending
I read this hilarious book in one sitting, laughing out loud and even snorting at times.

If you ever loved a dog, and talked to it, and wondered what all the whines meant, and what on earth they were doing, here's a highly entertaining book, especially from someone who always watched her own dog's reaction every time a new guy came into her life.

I...
Published on October 27, 2006 by Aslen

3.0 out of 5 stars Grrrr....woof !!!
amusing, with a decent story line. the dogs have some good insights. would have preferred to hear more from them and less from the humans in the story.
Published on January 4, 2008 by Neil Glasser

5.0 out of 5 stars Paxton hates me - he's just pretending, October 27, 2006

I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, September 6, 2006
Markoe's writing is lovely, and so easy to tangle yourself up in. It flows nicely, and keeps you interested at all times.

Her characters are well developed... each one showing their quirky imperfections at just the right moment.

The dogs are fabulous. I can't even count the number of times I caught myself thinking that my own dog would absolutely say some gof the things Markoe wrote about if she could only talk. Fortunately, my dog cannot talk, which made reading about a woman who converses with her dog that much more entertaining.

I highly recommend this book, and fully intend to run out and buy another of Markoe's works as soon as possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Grrrr....woof !!!, January 4, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and entertaining!, December 23, 2008
This review is from: Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel (Paperback)
Being a dog lover (2 Great Danes) I was first intrigued by the title of this book. After reading it, I am so glad I did! It is such fun to be able to pick up a really good book just for the enjoyment of it, and not have to worry about the "whos" and "whys" behind the writing. After all, isn't that what books are supposed to do? Entertain us?
I worked at a bookstore for 3 years, and was asked for referrals of good reads daily. This was one of my top referrals after I'd read it. If you want plain enjoyment, read this. My hat is off to the author, and I can't wait to read more books written by her!

4.0 out of 5 stars very funny, March 19, 2008
This review is from: Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel (Paperback)
I have to start out by saying - if you like dogs, read this book. But hang in there -- you have to get through the first 1/4 or so of the book which wasn't nearly as enjoyable & fun as the rest of the book. In the beginning the author sets up her life situation and introduces family members & friends, which can be a little lengthy at times. But once the dogs start talking I couldn't set the book down. An absolute delight, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly entertaining, November 26, 2006
I bought this book on a whim after reading a review of it in a magazine at the hair salon. The idea of a book about a woman who can talk to her dog intrigued me.

I ended up having to special order it from my local bookstore, but it was definately worth the wait. Got it just in time for a Holiday road trip.

It's a fast read, but very entertaining. You will most definately laugh out loud at this one. The dogs are hillarious. I love the how they talk like us, where in most books it's usually very preschoolish language, these dogs have a fabulous vocabulary making it all the more entertaining.

I will warn you, there's a lot of cursing so if you're not a fan of that kind of language keep that in mind.

I love Dawn's crazy family and her tragic romances.

If you're a fan of dogs or animals in general you most definately have to get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars If Dogs Could Talk, September 3, 2006
Merrill Markoe has hit the nail on the head - the advice that the brilliant Chuck provides always rings true. You need to be willing to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy this book, but if you're looking for a light and entertaining weekend read, this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT, November 5, 2006
This book was just a joy to read, especially for any one who loves animals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, October 5, 2006
A very chick-book, but so funny and touching. You almost put the book down and start trying to channel your own dog. Get this book! I can't wait to read her other stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrill Markoe is my comedy hero, September 1, 2006
I've been reading Merrill Markoe for years and this is her best book yet. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good book that will make them laugh. Check out Merrill's brilliant comedy shorts on her website. You'll laugh out loud while listening to "Firing My Dogs". Here's hoping Merrill writes us another winner like this book soon. Okay... she can take a vacation first, but then right back to work writing again.

Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel
Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel by Merrill Markoe (Paperback - August 28, 2007)
$13.95 $11.95